Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is fishing with an 8# weight rod a waste of time

Options
  • 16-03-2011 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

On the Liffy with regards to fly casting. I love my rod and it is qiute a good one. But im afraid the heavy line is scaring the trout away. Has anyone had success on lake weight rods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I use 6/7 WT 9ft, 10ft and 11ft rods... you are using a #8 line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I use 6/7 WT 9ft, 10ft and 11ft rods... you are using a #8 line??

yes. The lines I use are matched to the rod.

I was thinking of buying a second light rod for the summer as I have just joined a club for the Liffy and river trout have always got the better of me.

Im worried that putting a light line on my heavy rod will affect my cast in a negative manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

gsxr1 wrote: »
    yes. The lines I use are matched to the rod.

I was thinking of buying a second light rod for the summer as I have just joined a club for the Liffy and river trout have always got the better of me.

Im worried that putting a light line on my heavy rod will affect my cast in a negative manner.

personally i think 8wt is very heavy for a river, even too heavy for a lough, you might consider a 5 wt weight forward line and 5wt rod... a 5 wt line on a 8wt rod i have never done that but i could not see it working as the line is too light for the rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I picked up one of these last week and it's a cracking little rod..for a nice price too...9ft AFTM 4/5

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390293737351

I was thinking a Redington rod as I got the 8 weight rod last year and was amazed how well it cast and it quality compared to my beginner rod.
    http://www.reelflyrod.com/REDINGTON_c7.htm?gclid=CKvcmpz00qcCFUtC4QodLxvd8g
    I caught and released near 100 stockys with it last year. I lover the thing. The thing could cast really far . Nearly into the backing on trout lakes.
    But I dont need distance for a river.

I might go for a lighter set up of the same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I use an impulse ( cheap) 8ft 4wt with a double taper on river and lake.
    It will put the lot out with a helpful wind and it will do 15+ yards into a wind.
    It weighs nothing so there is little strain and because it bends so much its impossible to pul the hook out.
    Got me 15 rainbows up to 7lb yesterday and a 10lbder last St Pads.
    Smaller rod and line cross section gives less wind resistance.
    People think powerful equipment will make them cast further, unless its used properly it will be crude and "splashy" in result.
    I would not use it for long casting with a shooting head and would always reccomend a 9-6 7-9 with a 7 weight for that and arduous large water work.
    Money gets you nowhere with fly fishing its all technique and practice.
    I would not even reccomend more than one casting lesson for a beginer followed by friendly advice to assist after.This is because in all things "perfect" text book style does not work in reality.
    Hooks and leader must be the best though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

As well as being a lure fishing rod, the #8 weight rod is ideal salmon fishing tool for when grilse run on other rivers that are recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I fish the river Liffey a lot during the season and on average during the mid season i would be fishing for four or more hours at a time. I use a four weight rod that is light and yet capable of casting a team of three flies accross the river. It is also delicate enough to place a size twenty dry fly over a rising trout. An eight weight rod and line would be far too heavy for that type of fishing.

Of light gear is that you get more takes, the fish can swim off with a fly that little bit longer.

This is good news.

I need a good excuse to scan ebay and justify it to the missis.

Any sub 100 euro suggestions. Im probably going to need new reel and line as well as I want to keep my stocky rod set up together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

is it a wet line that you are using? They are generally a bit heavier in nature than a dry line for obvious reasons. And the taper of the line can affect it too. A weight forward line hits the water with that bit more of a splash than a double taper.

Good luck with the tackle hunt. Always good to be spending money on gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Greys streamflex...theres a few up for grabs on e-bay.

surripere wrote: »
    Greys streamflex...theres a few up for grabs on e-bay.

nice gear . but twice my budget im afraid

weight forward lines, use a double taper, casts better,presents better and can be reversed thus doubling use.
    Seriously try an Impulse, replace the top ring when it wears and it will give good service.
    Like tyres a dear one punctures the same as a cheap one. Its the same with rods.
    As for reels the cheaper the better, you only keep the line on it. Drags are a nuisance and material is not an issue.
    My less than 10E ALDI net has handled 10+ salmon and trout when more expensive ones have failed.
    Its technique, practice, faith, practice and more practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

gsxr1 wrote: »
    nice gear . but twice my budget im afraid[/QUOTET

I'm talking about the older models not the new. ebay uk-auction only, lots there, should get one for in around a tonne. Look to get a 9 5# r 8'6 4'# they be ideal for most rivers. Tis a sweet rod and Streamlite be the reel that goes with :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paburke

what are the Grays GRXi rods like? They look very well priced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I agree with the previous post about the reel. I picked up these a few weeks back in auctions for about €40 for the lot

Reel
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Airflo-Delta-Graphite-Fly-Reel-6-8-2-Spare-Spools-/250789489435?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3a6437eb1b

Line, backing and leader loops
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Flextec-3-Fly-Lines-3-x-Backing-3-x-Loops-/250784863734?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item80101c2419

They're bang on for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

In a word pa, Fantastic!!!
    I have the I bought the grxi+ rod & reel reel 10ft 8wt, only second season flyfishing had a shakespeare oddessey rod and alpha reel which was very good but the grxi+ has definitely improved my casting.
    paburke wrote: »

paburke wrote: »

they are good for the money

I was looking at a few beter quaity second hand rods. Like Orvis stuff.

I dont believe that buying the cheapest is a good idea from past experience. After I upgraded the last time to a more expensive rod, my cast improved lots.

There is some great middle of the road stuff out there .

Im going to take surripere's advise and go for a streamflex #5 . When a deal comes up that it.

Now. Line. the next question.

Who Swears by what?

• Advertisement

Perhaps a high quality rod is like a high quality golf club? It may give a bit more distance etc or perhaps a bit more confidence.
    I bought a Ron T Steelhead rod a few years back and it was awful, overloaded beyond 15 yds with any line weight, its a handy spare.
    I have tried my mates Redington and Sage rods and I found them worse than my cheap impulse. Better quality of course but no better at casting or fish catching.
    Lines, I have a nice airflow that has done about 400 hours, uncracked and not too wonky, it was E25, I have some old freebeis from magazines and mill ends that are fine. My worse investment was a state of the art airflow that cracked and hardened something awful.
    I think its mainly luck of the draw.

opinions on this.
    GRXi+troutoutfit_MED.jpg

Includes GRXi+ Rod, GRXi+ Reel, GRXi Line, Rod Tube, Backing + Free Delivery

9' 5# Grxi rods

214 euro.

After I got the same on fleebay and added shipping on a second hand gear I could spend more than that. Plus its an Irish shop to support.

what do yas think. is it a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

This is what I got, very good to deal with, they upgraded it to rio lines and threw in 20 salmon flies when I said I was going to be using it for salmon fishing.

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/greys-grxi-stillwater-fly-fishing-outfit-3502-p.asp

TimMac wrote: »
    This is what I got, very good to deal with, they upgraded it to rio lines and threw in 20 salmon flies when I said I was going to be using it for salmon fishing.

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/greys-grxi-stillwater-fly-fishing-outfit-3502-p.asp

nothing wrong with that at all

Advertisement