Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will FF ever rise again?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I personally can't see FF getting anywhere for the next 15yrs, maybe I'm wrong.

But does anyone know of any examples in other countries where a party was completely destroyed in an election but rose again not long after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Fine Gael 9 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭nickobrien1985

Fine Gael were in opposition though.
    THey didn't make decisions.

FF are now associated with IMF/EU bailout, unemployment, drink, and emigration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I personally can't see FF getting anywhere for the next 15yrs, maybe I'm wrong.

But does anyone know of any examples in other countries where a party was completely destroyed in an election but rose again not long after?

Ireland 2002 with Fine Gael and rose again in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Fianna Fail got 17.4% of the vote and look like taking 19 seats.
    Labour got 19.4% of the vote and look like taking 39 seats.

So not much of a recovery to get them to Labour levels. That 2% could be easy to get back next time if the Government take the necessary unpopular decisions but they are not enough to drag us out of the mess by the next election.

The big problem they have is the age profile of their TDs. Most are towards the older end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

37% of people in the RTE exit poll think FF will lead a Govenment in the next 10 years. RTÉ say "only 37%". I think it is an incredible figure and if I was a FF party member I would be using that as a basis of saying, yes we will be back.

This is the same RTÉ exit poll that got the election result right. I doubt you would get 37% saying Labour would lead a Government in 10 years time.

Like the previous poster pointed out their vote wasn't as bad as their seat numbers, they are not "Transfer friendly" at the moment.

The next local elections should give an idea if they can make some gains there. Probably never be by far the biggest party again but they haven't gone away. If labour had managed to get the left vote that went to other left candidates then it would have been more difficult for Fianna Fáil to revover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think if you look at the young candidates this, such as Averil Power, and those young candidates who did take first time seats, such as Robert Troy, you will see that the party is there to be rebuilt. It will be a challenge, but it will also be a tremendous opportunity.

As a man who has previously voted Fianna Fail and supported Fianna Fail I am personally delighted to see the back of the three Marys, the likes of Dick Roche and Conor Lenihan.

In my opinion, now is the time to retrace the party of Sean Lemass, to do what he did fifty years ago after DeValera and his ilk almost destroyed Fianna Fail; and rebuild and rebuild and rebuild. As the new opposition, Fianna Fail stand on a strong platform do do that. If Eamon Gilmore had decided he would go into opposition, the Fianna Fail would have been well and truly finished.

they will be back in 2 elections time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

wow sierra wrote: »
    This is the same RTÉ exit poll that got the election result right.
    In fact, it is the same exit poll that underestimated the FF vote in every Dublin constituency, sometimes by up to 8%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

They need to be honest with themselves and realise that they are hated because of massive fvckups and corruption and cronyism and lies, and not because - as everyone kicked out tried to spin it - because "people just wanted change" or due to "tough decisions"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    They need to be honest with themselves and realise that they are hated because of massive fvckups and corruption and cronyism and lies, and not because - as everyone kicked out tried to spin it - because "people just wanted change" or due to "tough decisions"

I fully agree and wanted to scream that at the teli .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

They will redefine themselves and come back to a degree. They need to start gaining more power on local councils and will be trying to do so while at the same time financially destitute. itll be 10 years though and even then they would be doing well to get to the sixty seat mark. Had thought they would be ousted in previous elections but they were not so expected them to do a lot better then they have done this time year.

5 yrs time will be an interesting election.
    fg one would assume will lose support as they have no choice but to make lots of very unpopular decisions.
    labour likely to be in power too and same story.
    ff itll be another election at least before people less bitter towards them.
    sf likely to get a massive boost especially if labour do go into governemnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Course they will.
    I'm not putting a timetable on it, but it's how it goes.It's human nature.Governments rise and fall. Another few generations, this will all be consigned to the history books.
    The mistake a lot of people make is that thinking things can never change, and the way we are right now will always stay. Things always change.Nothing is a constant.Not banks, not Governments, not political parties, nothing.Death and taxes are the only constants - it's a cliche for a reason!!!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Liam Byrne wrote: »

As a member of Fianna Fáil I can tell you that the vast majority of its members know tremendous mistakes were made. Fianna Fáil did undertake plenty of projects during the boom which are still with us to our advantage today, but we realize that it is no use being mega-rich today only to be broke tomorrow. FF members realize that we were the party in government and the managing of the nations finances was our responsibility and it is time to face up to the mistakes that were made and ensure such mistakes are never made again.

Very interesting times ahead for FF - its quite clear that the "old guard" is now gone and the task of rebuilding the party will pass to a new generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

they will be back in 2 elections time

I think that they will be back next time we have election, as there is still a lot of stupid people in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're vote management was s**te was because their TD's are selfish and myopic. Proper vote management will see them recover a fair bit next time. The really interesting thing is that about 20% of rural ireland have been confirmed as either morons or traitors :mad:. A lot of that 20% should be in their cold graves within the next two elections though.

Fianna Fails real problem is that what made them players was their access to power and influence. Take a look at how many of their TD's bailed on them once they realised that was no longer the case. Their real problem is that Fianna Fail needs power and pull to keep their backers with them. They've lost that now locally and nationally, who's going to court a string puller when all their strings have been cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

irish voters are good at doing what mammy and daddy tells them so FF will most likely resurface , this election ( in time ) may proove to be somewhat of an anomoly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Godge wrote: »
    Fianna Fail got 17.4% of the vote and look like taking 19 seats.
    Labour got 19.4% of the vote and look like taking 39 seats.

So not much of a recovery to get them to Labour levels. That 2% could be easy to get back next time if the Government take the necessary unpopular decisions but they are not enough to drag us out of the mess by the next election.

The big problem they have is the age profile of their TDs. Most are towards the older end of the spectrum.
    The big problem is that they aren't attracting transfers outside of their core support. Yes they have lost seats by running too many canidates, until the transfers are examined in detail we can;t even be sure if the would have done better with just one per constituency since people are voting for the man not the party. People are transferring to SF to an extent not seen before, FF had better pray the next government goes full term to give them time to recoup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As a member of Fianna Fáil I can tell you that the vast majority of its members know tremendous mistakes were made.

If that is true, then why did every defeated candidate lie, further damaging (if that is even possible) their credibility?

I was screaming at the tv and nearly threw something through it when both Cowen and a young guy from Donegal spouted the lies.

If the guy from Donegal is representative of the new generation, then there's no appetite for accountability and truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Just watch them hi-jack 2016...

They'll be back

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FF are now associated with IMF/EU bailout, unemployment, drink, and emigration
    and endemic corruption

and squandering the proceeds of the celtic tiger , apart from the toll roads what have we to show for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

later10 wrote: »
    In fact, it is the same exit poll that underestimated the FF vote in every Dublin constituency, sometimes by up to 8%.

I believe they were underestimated in Dublin by 4% - it was taken as a region, not individual constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

later10 wrote: »
    I think if you look at the young candidates this, such as Averil Power, and those young candidates who did take first time seats, such as Robert Troy, you will see that the party is there to be rebuilt. It will be a challenge, but it will also be a tremendous opportunity.

As a man who has previously voted Fianna Fail and supported Fianna Fail I am personally delighted to see the back of the three Marys, the likes of Dick Roche and Conor Lenihan.

In my opinion, now is the time to retrace the party of Sean Lemass, to do what he did fifty years ago after DeValera and his ilk almost destroyed Fianna Fail; and rebuild and rebuild and rebuild. As the new opposition, Fianna Fail stand on a strong platform do do that. If Eamon Gilmore had decided he would go into opposition, the Fianna Fail would have been well and truly finished.

That hasn't been decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

no.

twill be 10 years before they see the light of day. and by then
    the new voters wont go for them and the old will be em, gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

They could be back with a vengeance as soon as the next election if it seems FG let us down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iphone 5

I have to say that FF took a major hit in the polls but it was based on anger for what has happened to the country.
    I think we will be back here in 4 years time all gunning for FG and Labour for the disastrous job they made of "Rebuilding" the country and we will probably have no choice but to vote them back in as we will still be a bit raw after what FF done. Then 4 years later we will be back again this time burning Effigies on the streets of Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore. (Probably not them as they will be stabbed in the back by their collagues in the mean time) While the government is falling down around them FF will be working in the background building the party and getting votes.
    FF will then come rolling into town a new party with a new vision and all will be forgotten and take power once again leading the nation to glory once again.
    My point is that Us irish have very short memories and the transfer of FF voters to FG is only a temporary thing and us irish are creatures of habit and like a mother telling there child when there bold to stand in the corner eventually she will tell him to come out and give him a big hugg and all is forgotten:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

iphone 5 wrote: »
    I have to say that FF took a major hit in the polls but it was based on anger for what has happened to the country.
    I think we will be back here in 4 years time all gunning for FG and Labour for the disastrous job they made of "Rebuilding" the country and we will probably have no choice but to vote them back in as we will still be a bit raw after what FF done...

Therein lies the 'rub'.

If in a period of time, FG (and whoever) continues to do things not to the publics liking (cowering to Europe, more tax, services cut etc, take your pick...) then knowing that the remaining youth and middle aged DO NOT want FF back in either, they might respond even more so the other remaining orgs in the country yet again in bigger numbers.

That means Sinn Fein and co...

Just as a great deal of people voted for anything but FF, in the whole this time around, for FG,
    they might yet again when seeing FG maybe just as bad as FF, go elsewhere yet again with their vote. Staying clear of both of them then.
    Such might be the short space of time and a lot more willing to remember and not forgive, at the next election we might see even more surprising radical change!

...Just a thought.

FF need an identity to regain wide appeal. what's that identity gonna be?
    In the cities - what? Radical? nope. Left? nope. Right? nope. Nationalist? nope. all those identities are taken.

so rural.

GAA? yes. Radical? nope. Farmers party? nope. Left? nope. Right? yes. Nationalist? yes.

so FF only option is Rural, right-wing, nationalist. of course, SF will be getting the boot in even in that territory.

so where they gonna fit?

FF are destined to minority party status from here on in. - their only option power wise is in coalition and as either the minority party or as the largest in a broad rainbow.

FF as we know it are gone.

ETA just to clarify.

FF had broad appeal, from inner city voters, to young farmers, to nationalist who want the softer option, to soft radicals, to older trade unionists, to the working class and the lower middle class - almost the whole shebang.
    but now?

fck all left but the rural old blinkered and insane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...its quite clear that the "old guard" is now gone and the task of rebuilding the party will pass to a new generation.

I would disagree with this. As mentioned already about Vincent Brown and a FF member, even last night senior FF'ers were unwilling to listen to others and still unwilling to admit the parties sins of the past. Add to that their unwillingness to admit all mistakes of the past - instead try to brush over them - and we still have still in FF with Michael Martin leading the charge by example even through the election trail by action and words, that a good deal of the old guard and the ways of denying/operation are still ingrained with the Fianna Fail organisation.

Its STILL does not bode well for the future of Fianna Fail.
    Its no half measures the public wants and no PR jobs. Its truth and a rout of the still existing systemic corrupt, living in denial within.

If FF can't do that or are completely unwilling to that is required, once again I say, they are wasting their time - and ours.

Pal wrote: »
    Fine Gael 9 years ago
    fine Gael never had, and prob never will have, the wide urban/rural popularity that FF had. so they were building from a small base and with the wave of public anger they mopped up from around that tight base.

FF had wide appeal but what was gradually eroding has now being swept away - most of it forever.

FG rebuilt their party and used effective vote mgmt, but they are extremely unlikely to repeat this performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Bambi wrote: »
    They're vote management was s**te was because their TD's are selfish and myopic. Proper vote management will see them recover a fair bit next time. The really interesting thing is that about 20% of rural ireland have been confirmed as either morons or traitors :mad:. A lot of that 20% should be in their cold graves within the next two elections though.

Fianna Fails real problem is that what made them players was their access to power and influence. Take a look at how many of their TD's bailed on them once they realised that was no longer the case. Their real problem is that Fianna Fail needs power and pull to keep their backers with them. They've lost that now locally and nationally, who's going to court a string puller when all their strings have been cut?

spot on.

Advertisement