Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'll regret your vote today?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

In the last election I voted for the Greens, in large part for ABFF reasons. I somewhat bought into the hype when they went into government with FF - they'd get some of their policies implemented and might just manage to keep FF on the straight-and-narrow. Then along came such things as the bank guarantee scheme, NAMA, Neary's golden handshake, Ryan defending O'Dea, the lies that we didn't need a bailout, and the arrival of the IMF.

Hopefully I've made a more informed vote this time around, but I've still doubts about every preference and they are politicians.

How to you think you'll feel about your preferences a couple of years down the road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Gave my number 3 to Clare Daly of ULA. Don't know why the bejaysus I did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

I actually put FF ahead of my local ULA candidate. I read her policies with some interest, but was disappointed when there wasn't a magical money tree at the end of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I actually put FF ahead of my local ULA candidate. I read her policies with some interest, but was disappointed when there wasn't a magical money tree a the end of them.

I just put her down for the laugh because I thought it would be funny to watch a crazy madwoman in the Dáil. I'm starting to regret my decision now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well we're in big trouble financially so who knows. I think I voted as best I could given what was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

How to you think you'll feel about your preferences a couple of years down the road?

God only knows. I did however realise that regardless of who will be in power there are a few very, very unpleasant years ahead of this country. In different ways, most of us will have to endure a lot of hardships and pains that some of us aren't used to and others believed we'd left behind. Anyone thinking that any party can magic that away will just become more delusional as time goes on. There's no magic bullet, just hard graft to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I went to the polls today with the intention of just voting for 1 person.

I had originally picked 2 but after some thought i decided against it.

Any while i was voting i suddenly felt the need to vote for my 2nd pick.I came out thinking think why the F did i do that:rolleyes:

So i went SF(1) lab (2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Guilty? FF, FG & Lab all support the general parameters of austerity, deficit adjustments by 2014 or is that 2015 or 2125 or some time in the near future far far away...

Between them three and SF the general idea of the state supporting private banks was agreed between them. These people didn't get my number 1 vote and I adjusted my preferences accordingly. No I won't feel guilty. Labour will be going into a govt. with Fine Gael and could not offer clear cut policies that they could guarantee they'd stand behind thus rendering their manifesto useless so they didn't get even a number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well I voted for all the parties I liked followed by all the independents followed by the parties I don't like so much and for the last 2 boxes I left them empty - those boxes were for FF...

I just really don't want to see FF getting a seat so I did my best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm fully confident if my #1 helps Ming be elected it'll be easily the best and most guilt free ballot I've ever cast or likely will cast for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There are 3 FFers in my constituency - o'cuiv, fahey, crowe

i gave o'cuiv a very low preference to keep the other two toxic ffers - fahey and crowe - as far away from seats as possible.

i regretted it before going to sleep last night because reading some threads and posts here its clear FF has die hard fans and has plenty of supporters. O'cuiv would have been ok without my vote.

If FF get back into power today I will be kicking myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I dont and will never regret my vote yesterday. It doesn't matter anyway, whoever gets in wont be there too long IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

not at all op, I won't regret it at all.

I gave votes to everyone on the ballot but the 3 FF and the single former PD and to local an taisce idiot object to everything candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Regret? Doubt it (hope not anyway)

Walking into the polling station yesterday I was never so sure of something in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Certainly not, but I might regret the way everyone else voted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

All my choices were to prevent a majority government for FG. I think I will look back and be grateful for my part in preventing the same shíte here as is occurring for the low income people of Britain under the Tory's!

Seaneh wrote: »
    and to local an taisce idiot object to everything candidate.

Who was that, East or West Galway?

west.

Seaneh wrote: »
    west.

Who was the candidate? Am in West myself.

Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nevsky

I voted FF the last time. This time I voted FG, Labour and Shane Ross. Whatever about regretting the decision in the future I certainly don't regret not voting FF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement