Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of the recent 30KPH inner city speed limit to be scrapped.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

"A section of the controversial 30kph zone in Dublin city centre is to be increased to 50kph, draft proposals produced by Dublin City Council show.

The remainder between Grattan Bridge and Butt Bridge is to be kept in place".

Not that its introduction made that much of a difference anyway.:p

I'm wondering two things:
    1) What changes in driving/roads have taken place to persuade those that voted for the 30kph limit to now want to abandon it?

2) On what basis is it being kept on some roads and not others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mucco wrote: »
    I'm wondering two things:
    1) What changes in driving/roads have taken place to persuade those that voted for the 30kph limit to now want to abandon it?
    Obviously the general election coming up.

The business community were never happy with this from the beginning.

The only ones that seemed to want it were the cycling group.
    Mucco wrote: »
    2) On what basis is it being kept on some roads and not others?
    Some areas had more pedestrians walking out in front of traffic..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The slower speed limit seemed to make sense during the day with a lot more pedestrians about and for relieving traffic congestion on the streets.
    I could never understand why the restriction were there 24hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

An insane, ludicrous, half baked decision to begin with.

IIRC, the Greens were the main players with this idea? Good riddance to educated idiots.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

IIRC, the Greens were the main players with this idea? Good riddance to educated idiots.... :rolleyes:

The Greens have no councillors in DCC - they had nothing to do with it. People would blame them for the weather these days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

markpb wrote: »
    The Greens have no councillors in DCC - they had nothing to do with it. People would blame them for the weather these days...

Oops, my bad. :o

But I do remember John Gormley defending the system with some sort of eco-nonsense.

And here's Cuffey waxing lyrical about the whole thing.

http://www.ciarancuffe.ie/30kph-speed-limit-evening-herald-3rd-february-2010

markpb wrote: »

The Greens controll the weather, well thats what they like everyone to believe. :p

The Greens were behind the Dublin Bikes scheme which in turn were pushing the council for the reduction in speed limits when the question of liability for accidents came about from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well it worked; the number of people cycling is the highest it's ever been

AngryLips wrote: »
    The increase in bicycles could also be attributed to soaring collage fees along with less disposible income where students would save considerable on transport costs by cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The Greens were behind the Dublin Bikes scheme which in turn were pushing the council for the reduction in speed limits when the question of liability for accidents came about from what I heard.

Not the Greens this time, it was actually this guy: http://www.andrewmontague.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Obviously the general election coming up.

The business community were never happy with this from the beginning.

The only ones that seemed to want it were the cycling group.

This was decided by the City Council last year, so the General Election has nothing to do with the timing. As per the Irish Times article linked above:
    However, the change is unlikely to come into effect until next year as it will require the introduction of new speed-limit bylaws. The introduction or change to a bylaw involves a drafting process, public consultation and several stages of ratification by councillors. It is likely that the higher speed limits will not be in place until next January or February at the earliest.
    In any case, I'd be surprised if the city centre speed limit was coming up as an election issue, given everything else that's going on in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

That's what I said would happen in 2009 when the plan was first suggested, and I was shot down for it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Sounds like a case for a woonerf then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,334 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the recent 30KPH inner city speed limit to be scrapped.
    Hi Run_to_da_hills,

I'd be grateful if you and others didn't make stuff up.

Yours sincerely

Colm Moore
    Dublin Cycling Campaign

PS I'm not a member of any political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how much of it is being scrapped and why is the rest not then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The two linked articles above tell you:

The Irish Times:
    Dublin city councillors last night voted to restore the 50km/h limit on Winetavern Street and the city quays west of Grattan Bridge at Capel Street, excluding a small narrow section of Essex Quay up to the pedestrian lights before the Civic Offices.

The Evening Herald:
    Only one submission -- from the Dublin Cycling Campaign -- was received on the proposals during the public consultation phase.

The campaign's Colm Moore expressed concern that it was planned to increase speed limits from 30 to 50kph "on a number of side streets" as well.

Mr Moore said he was referring to the section covered by Merchant's Quay, Bridge Street Lower and Upper, High Street, St Michael's Hill and Winetavern Street.

In response, the council amended the draft plans so that the 30kph limit is retained on those streets.

That would suggest that it is being removed from the quays west of Capel Street where it really was totally unnecessary due to the low levels of pedestrian traffic crossing the roads.

As Victor says it certainly is not being scrapped on "most streets".

The Evening Herald article doesn't make it clear what streets the lower limit is being removed from though. It says the lower limit is removed from streets west of Grattan Bridge*, but also says that the lower limit is retained on Bridge Street, High Street, Winetavern Street and Merchant's Quay - all streets that are west of Grattan Bridge.

Am I missing something or am I not reading Google Maps properly?

*EDIT: For clarity, the article doesn't specifically state that, but that's the gist I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I read it, it is being removed from the Quays west of Capel Street Bridge except for the narrow stretch of Essex Quay from Capel Street bridge as far as where the road widens to allow for the bus lane.

That was where the principal problem lay.

The limit does not apply to Bridge Street - only the side streets east of it.

Here is the zone on a map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

misleading thread title

actual changes to the 30 kph zone are below:
    consultation_30kph.jpg

hang your head in shame again rtdh

I have to admire Andrew Montague for sticking by an unpopular measure that will statistically save lives against the most ignorant of opposition including from his own party leader.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/at-last-death-knell-for-30kph-as-council-turns-on-mr-slow-montague-2054735.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,134 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its still covering far too much area.

DCC could also do with putting some proper signage for the end up, to prevent 75%+ of drivers slowing down to 25km/h on Victoria Quay whenever there's a tailvan outside Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MYOB wrote: »
    Its still covering far too much area.

A lot of people seem to think the exact opposite.

dynamick wrote: »

That's from this time last year btw. Disgraceful bit of journalism.

monument wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think the exact opposite.

And a lot agree also ;)

Also how are you supposed to watch your speed on a (pedal) bike in those areas, all of which you'll easily get above 30 in?

And a lot agree also ;)

Also how are you supposed to watch your speed on a (pedal) bike in those areas, all of which you'll easily get above 30 in?

Dead easy. Don't overtake any motor vehicles, all of which will be adhering to the speed limit. :D

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Dead easy. Don't overtake any motor vehicles, all of which will be adhering to the speed limit. :D

but you're assuming there's cars around and they're not all just stuck in traffic too ;)

but you're assuming there's cars around and they're not all just stuck in traffic too ;)

If the cars are stuck in traffic, then would there be enough space for cyclists to whizz by at more than 30kph? I'm particularly thinking of the quays here.

And if there are no cars, then clearly the speed limit is working :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I admit I had my own knee-jerk reaction to this report. Quietly fuming at the backwardness of it.

However, it seems it's a proposal to reduce the 30 kph area and has yet to be voted on. Some of the headlines are saying it's to be scrapped, which suggests a done deal.

I hope Labour councillors in particular will take a responsible attitude, rather than a pre General Election what-will-work-to-our-advantage attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yes but they are also cycling more in places wheres theres no 30km/h limit too.

Most of the traffic ignore these limits anyway. After the initial showboating I don't see any attempt to enforce these limits. So if traffic hasn't slowed down, it can't have a knock on effect to anything else.

Its Placebo at best.

The speed of traffic on a few streets in the middle of a city has nothing what so ever to do with the increasing number of people cycling.

You can thank the Dublin Bikes system and the cycle to work scheme for much of the increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

dynamick wrote: »
    actual changes to the 30 kph zone are below:
    consultation_30kph.jpg

Just wondering, does anyone have any idea why Eden Quay and Burgh Quay are to be excluded? It seems like a strange decision to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

And. correct me if I'm wrong, but the Oireachtas complex as well ?

Advertisement