Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Dubbhoy wrote: »
    guys applied in 2009 April, Did all the interviews ( i knew the srg and inspector) all them were happy with me and approved my application, I still waiting on word back, I was speaking with local super he says he will ring up and find out what the problem. He got back to me to say that its a long process ..... All I can do is wait. At this stage I have a pain in the back side with them really :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

anyone in similar position

oh jeez thats a long time waiting. only took me 10 months to start trainin from the day i applied. probably your background checks, if you've relations outside Ireland on your from then that will hold it up alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

It is very frustrating, I waited for over 18 months but now I've been a reserve for over 2 years. Once you start training, finally pass out, and go on the beat, those long months and years of waiting are truly forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

I sat the exam/interview in March 2010 - Put the BR form in, but 2 months later...the station I passed it into didn't send it. So then they sent it...2 months later I got another message asking for missing details...most of which it had already on it...so it was delayed, but apparently the email was not for me, but the application still got delayed...So they started the check in October and I spent all my life in England...its going to take a while...So a little disheartening as this is this is something I have really wanted to do since I could remember. Hopefully it will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

i sat my interview passed it is well as the tests. I did my interveiw with the sergeant and super and they highly recommended me for it.
    This march i will be waiting for nearly over 3 years for a medical date and i have been in regular contact with the HQ last time i called was friday gone and they have said the same thing its a long process ha its funny i apllied when i left secondary school i went throw college and 4 jobs and i still have heard nothing biggest load of time wasting ever im only keeping my application in there to see even if they get back to. i have lost interest in it in everything becuase of the wait i always want to a gard and will apply full time but this wait seems a bit much. since i applied i actually forgot i applied its been that long ha. I take no one has been waiting this long and if so let me no because its im one in a million feel special haha:D.
    If anyone else is in the sme time bracket let me no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

i sat my interview passed it is well as the tests. I did my interveiw with the sergeant and super and they highly recommended me for it.
    This march i will be waiting for nearly over 3 years for a medical date and i have been in regular contact with the HQ last time i called was friday gone and they have said the same thing its a long process ha its funny i apllied when i left secondary school i went throw college and 4 jobs and i still have heard nothing biggest load of time wasting ever im only keeping my application in there to see even if they get back to. i have lost interest in it in everything becuase of the wait i always want to a gard and will apply full time but this wait seems a bit much. since i applied i actually forgot i applied its been that long ha. I take no one has been waiting this long and if so let me no because its im one in a million feel special haha:D.
    If anyone else is in the sme time bracket let me no.

Wow, that has got to be so frustrating...I wonder what takes this long...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lor1984

You poor thing I can see why you feels so mad oer it. I had my interview with the super about a month ago and got a call last week with a date for my medical keep ringing HQ you will make it eventually if u really want to be a guard you will keep at it I had to go back and repeat me leaving cert maths and then applied for the reserves so its taken me a long time to get here so hang on in there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dorrianpaul

Wow 3 years is a hell of a long time. My process started in Oct 2009 and I have my medical on the 19 th Jan. It would have taken a lot longer but I kept ringing the local inspector and HQ I think it depends on the need for GR in a particular area. I think someone said it would take longer if you have relations outside the republic if this is the case that would explain why it took so long for me as I have relations in NI and wife has relations in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

Well i rang the public offices today & H.Q to find out just what was going on with my application & once again they couldnt tell me anything that the agencies carrying out the checks are very understaffed and there is a backlog of applicants in the same boat.. My advice is to them: HIRE MORE PEOPLE AND GET THEM INTO WORK !!!!! THAT WILL PUT MORE GAURDS ON THE STREET AND WILL ULTIMATLEY REDUCE THE CRIME RATE . I might just write a letter to the justice minister to find out exactly what the hell is going on, if i get no reply, that'l be that for me...:mad:

Willm5499 wrote: »
    Well i rang the public offices today & H.Q to find out just what was going on with my application & once again they couldnt tell me anything that the agencies carrying out the checks are very understaffed and there is a backlog of applicants in the same boat.. My advice is to them: HIRE MORE PEOPLE AND GET THEM INTO WORK !!!!! THAT WILL PUT MORE GAURDS ON THE STREET AND WILL ULTIMATLEY REDUCE THE CRIME RATE . I might just write a letter to the justice minister to find out exactly what the hell is going on, if i get no reply, that'l be that for me...:mad:

Already called the Deptarment of Justice they say its up to the AGS in relation to selection they can't do anything to alternate it. But if i was not excepted due to a subject matter or something that they would do things about it but with the problem i have they cannot do anything to help. But you might get a bit of joy so you might is well.

Did you try contacting the inspector or super that interviewed you? Perhaps he can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

Yeh i rang the local station where i had my meeting with the inspector & super looking for the inspector. He's on nights and the gaurd on duty said he would ring me, that was yesterday and still no call :(...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Willm5499 wrote: »
    Yeh i rang the local station where i had my meeting with the inspector & super looking for the inspector. He's on nights and the gaurd on duty said he would ring me, that was yesterday and still no call :(...

If they are on nights they might feel that no time would be suitable to phone you and may be waiting until the night-shifts are over before they return the call. :confused:

Did you try contacting the inspector or super that interviewed you? Perhaps he can help

I've been in contact with hq, Insppector, seargant, superintendant, dept of justce with the joy out of any

I've been in contact with hq, Insppector, seargant, superintendant, dept of justce with the joy out of any[/

Bad buzz

travelling to dublin tomorrow have my medical on wed I'v the vommiting bug hope to god I feel better for wed! I'll let ye know how I get on :) Best of luck to anyone who is going wed too

lor1984 wrote: »
    travelling to dublin tomorrow have my medical on wed I'v the vommiting bug hope to god I feel better for wed! I'll let ye know how I get on :) Best of luck to anyone who is going wed too

Best of luck with your medical.

I passed woo hoo :D healthy as a trout

lor1984 wrote: »
    I passed woo hoo :D healthy as a trout

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

I got the call for my medical!! It's the 9th of feb! :-) can u tell me what happens when I go for it? Also what date in feb are you starting?? Does anyone know what your BMI has to be!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I got the call for my medical!! It's the 9th of feb! :-) can u tell me what happens when I go for it? Also what date in feb are you starting?? Does anyone know what your BMI has to be!?

Good Luck with your own medical. Once your bmi is under 30 you will be okay.

Have a look at these two posts, they detail it perfectly: eru123 and McJakester

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Congrats!! I got the call for my medical!! It's the 9th of feb! :-) can u tell me what happens when I go for it? Also what date in feb are you starting?? Does anyone know what your BMI has to be!?

Congrats and well done.

The med is conducted in the medical centre. Usual things , urine test , blood pressure and hearing test conducted first by the nurse. You are then sent to see the Medical Officer. Height , weight are taken, short physical touch your toes etc and a physical examination of your body.

The eye test follows next , chart on the wall and then a colour blindness test. If you do wear glass's bring them along but dont wear them the night before and the morning of the test.

You will love the paper gown and the pink robe you get to wear. I would worry too much about the BMI if your normal weight for your height you will be fine. Get a good nights sleep the night before so that you are fully rested.

Good luck

Raider190 wrote: »
    Congrats and well done.

You will love the paper gown and the pink robe you get to wear. I would worry too much about the BMI if your normal weight for your height you will be fine. Get a good nights sleep the night before so that you are fully rested.

Good luck

Thank you!!
    I'm not worried about most of it.. Eyes hearing bloodpressure should be all fine! The only thing i'm worried about is the BMI because I had it tested last week in the chemist and it's 28!
    Paper gown?! Aagh!! So i've to strip down to my undies? Better wear something sensible..
    I hear there's another intake in march so all going well fingers crossed I'll be in!!
    I can't wait, I applied Oct 2008! I'm dissappointed now with my weight because I let it slip.. Got sick of waiting and stopped jogging :-( so the next two weeks will be like bootcamp for me! Lol

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Thank you!!
    I'm not worried about most of it.. Eyes hearing bloodpressure should be all fine! The only thing i'm worried about is the BMI because I had it tested last week in the chemist and it's 28!
    Paper gown?! Aagh!! So i've to strip down to my undies? Better wear something sensible..
    I hear there's another intake in march so all going well fingers crossed I'll be in!!
    I can't wait, I applied Oct 2008! I'm dissappointed now with my weight because I let it slip.. Got sick of waiting and stopped jogging :-( so the next two weeks will be like bootcamp for me! Lol

You do get to keep your socks on LOL

All physical types were on my intake large , small and slight builds. Some including myself carrying a few extra pounds so dont give it to much thought.

When I did it , I was expecting to do the medical and then get a letter a week or so later. Imagine the shock I got when I completed the med to be told by the MO that I had passed and she was declaring me fit for duty. Had to asked her to repeat it , could believe it following a wait of 18 months I had finally made it.

Walked out of the Depot on air with the biggest smile ever and still had to pinch myself when I got to the car.

Raider190 wrote: »
    You do get to keep your socks on LOL

All physical types were on my intake large , small and slight builds. Some including myself carrying a few extra pounds so dont give it to much thought.

When I did it , I was expecting to do the medical and then get a letter a week or so later. Imagine the shock I got when I completed the med to be told by the MO that I had passed and she was declaring me fit for duty. Had to asked her to repeat it , could believe it following a wait of 18 months I had finally made it.

Walked out of the Depot on air with the biggest smile ever and still had to pinch myself when I got to the car.

Ugh the thoughts of stripping off :-(
    that's great! Didn't realise u get told there and then!
    My BR went off on the 5th of June 2009 and they only came through last week!! The wait was awful but I'm so excite now :-)

Ugh the thoughts of stripping off :-(
    that's great! Didn't realise u get told there and then!
    My BR went off on the 5th of June 2009 and they only came through last week!! The wait was awful but I'm so excite now :-)
    Hi Dentalnurse congrats on med!
    You'll do great in the medical dont worry about it.
    My superindent told me he's going to run a muck at HR because im waiting so long ha so i'm hoping for march too.

Hi Dentalnurse congrats on med!
    You'll do great in the medical dont worry about it.
    My superindent told me he's going to run a muck at HR because im waiting so long ha so i'm hoping for march too.

Thanks Bilko!!
    Iv to ring HQ this evening because there's a few things on the medical form I just want to ask him about, while I'm at it I'm going to ask what date the march class are starting on!
    I'm sick thinking about it! But excited at the same time!! :-)

Thanks Bilko!!
    Iv to ring HQ this evening because there's a few things on the medical form I just want to ask him about, while I'm at it I'm going to ask what date the march class are starting on!
    I'm sick thinking about it! But excited at the same time!! :-)

Haha Yeah and hopefully i make that class.
    When is the med this week is it?

Haha Yeah and hopefully i make that class.
    When is the med this week is it?

That would be great!!
    No it's on the 9th of February!

That would be great!!
    No it's on the 9th of February!

How. and oh thats grand isn't it its not that far away and you'll definitey be in the march class.

• Advertisement

How. and oh thats grand isn't it its not that far away and you'll definitey be in the march class.

I hope so anyway!! Check your mail!!

Advertisement