Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming industry lose 'billions' to chipped consoles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Fnz wrote: »
    As I've said, the industry should not be volunteering guesswork in place of information that appears impossible to know. These mythical 'substitution rate' numbers are not helpful and may find their way into reports that have real consequences.

It wouldn't be the first time.
    True but most reports use the term "estimated" when giving figures so they're not being intentionally dishonest. You also have the issue that they're probably trying to re-instil the fact that piracy is wrong into people by giving them numbers they can relate too, i.e., revenue and jobs lost.

I'll give you an example, FM2009, the activation servers crashed. Some people who bought genuine copies couldn't play it for days.
    A nasty situation however I'm not sure how it's relevant here. Are you using it as an example of a way that legitimate customers are penalised?
    Secondly, I'm a pretty heavy consumer of games but there are plenty of games I don't go near because of the DRM on them.
    Good for you, and I mean that sincerely. If you have an issue with a game because of the DRM that it uses then don't buy it. I do hope, however, that you didn't go and download it instead. :)
    True, but there's still an unmeasurable possibility. As I said above, I've bought games on the back of playing illegal versions before.
    The exact amount is unmeasurable but common sense indicates that if someone can get it for free and has done so, they more than likely won't then pay for it unless they have some pretty strong feelings on the matter.
    We could have a much greater idea of it though if the industry weren't so selective about the data they publish.
    You were right earlier, it is an unknown. We simply cannot tell conclusively that someone would have bought something if they did not have the ability to download it for free.
    Fair point, but demos assume prior knowledge of a title's existence and the publisher site etc. Filesharing can raise the profile of an IP significantly because it starts appearing on loads of different message boards etc. Whether that results in any tangible benefit is of course, unmeasureable.
    There's a problem with your logic here, what is to stop demos garnering the same amount of chatter on message boards rather than a full pirated version?
    Common sense also points out that the industry is still growing. I find it hard to believe the lost revenues are as sizeable as made out, no industries could absorb such losses in the long run. That the games industry can points to one of two things i) either they are talking though their ass, ii) they are seriously overcharging their customers.
    The numbers speak for themselves to be honest and lets face it, do you know anyone who doesn't pirate material? The industry is only able to absorb it for two reasons a) they're not losing a physical copy of something and b) they can sell enough of their higher profile games to make some sort of profit.
    The 7-8% figure is not something I arrived at myself. And that example is utterly pointless. Sure everyone has an ipod these days with hundreds of albums on it, but was it the same 20 years ago? Did people count the LPs/CDs they had in terms of the hundreds? Very very rarely in my experience.
    You're missing my point. I'm referring to the capacities of these devices, ones which dwarf the actual size of the average music collection. You even said it yourself, how many people actually own hundreds of albums? 20 years ago, well that's the early 90s at this stage so I'd imagine the average number of albums owned would be quite similar, again certainly not in the hundreds.
    Secondly, you must also take into consideration the fact the industry is facing much greater competition from other forms of entertainment now, particularly video games.
    I can see the connection between movies and games but music and games? Not so much unfortunately.
    Thirdly, the standard of the product. In recent years the record breaking touring revenues have been seen from artists 20-30 years plus in the business. That says a lot about the state of the industry imo.
    Actually the majority of them are from newer acts, bar good 'ol Bon Jovi at the top there. :D
    Anyway, lots of fair points in both yer posts, the piracy figures are staggering. I still don't think it impacts the bottom line to the degree suggested, but obviously I have nothing to back that up with.
    The problem is that we do unfortunately, both in terms of lower than projected sales for some games compared to their download rates, developers having to close due to these lowered sales, the figures quoted by MS for their ban waves and generally looking around at people who download stuff whether we know them irl or here on Boards. :o
    I would encourage you to read the link I posted above though to see what ye think. Although no doubt it's been long dismissed in most industry circles by now.
    I fully believe the figure is often embellished, particularly in the music industry as they always seem to focus on CD sales which, less face it, are declining due to the meteoric rise in the popularity of the digital download.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

RedXIV wrote: »
    It still is a valid point though. Fact is that if there was no piracy, there would be more money in gaming which would lead to more money in developing games which would lead to a higher standard. it sucks but its true

There would be more money in gaming, money in developing games and a higher standard if there was no 2nd hand game industry as well.

Now thats not me saying that we should stop all 2nd hand sales etc and we should impose draconian sales laws on every product. But it does highlight that on the list of *problems* that the games industry currently has, piracy is actually pretty damn far down the list on those that could destroy the industry.

Personnally the out of control 2nd hand market is its greatest risk. Its an unpopular view which Gabe on penny arcade got quite an abusive response to by the community over. And while I dont 100% hold the same position as him, I do feel that unlike any other product, the game industry is crippled by its 2nd hand market. You can name them all, dvds, music, cars. They all either have limited 2nd hand markets or a system set up that money from a 2nd hand sale goes back to the manufacterers. Games on the other hand have a 2nd hand market larger then its 1st sale market. It shares the same streets and shops (HMV sell 2nd hand games, but not 2nd hand dvds why?) and the developers are only now setting up viable recycling process of titles.

So piracy is the least of the games industry's problems. Its just easier to do an article telling off some unidentified hacker then to say the 1000's of retail jobs that gamestop/game etc provide are at the cost of the industry expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    There would be more money in gaming, money in developing games and a higher standard if there was no 2nd hand game industry as well.

Now thats not me saying that we should stop all 2nd hand sales etc and we should impose draconian sales laws on every product. But it does highlight that on the list of *problems* that the games industry currently has, piracy is actually pretty damn far down the list on those that could destroy the industry.

Personnally the out of control 2nd hand market is its greatest risk. Its an unpopular view which Gabe on penny arcade got quite an abusive response to by the community over. And while I dont 100% hold the same position as him, I do feel that unlike any other product, the game industry is crippled by its 2nd hand market. You can name them all, dvds, music, cars. They all either have limited 2nd hand markets or a system set up that money from a 2nd hand sale goes back to the manufacterers. Games on the other hand have a 2nd hand market larger then its 1st sale market. It shares the same streets and shops (HMV sell 2nd hand games, but not 2nd hand dvds why?) and the developers are only now setting up viable recycling process of titles.

So piracy is the least of the games industry's problems. Its just easier to do an article telling off some unidentified hacker then to say the 1000's of retail jobs that gamestop/game etc provide are at the cost of the industry expanding.

agreed, piracy is a smaller problem that sony microsoft and nintendo have the ability to stop or at least limit. The second hand market is a joke, and really needs to be clamped down on. It will bite retailers in the arse tho because its only pushing the games industry into digital distribution.

Activision could also do with getting ****ed, CoD just ****s up games sales so much that its not even funny. Kids will happily play MW2 or BLOPs for 6-12 months without wanting to buy another game. Good thing that they're running the series into the ground like every other cashcow they've ever had tho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gizmo wrote: »
    You're missing my point. I'm referring to the capacities of these devices, ones which dwarf the actual size of the average music collection. You even said it yourself, how many people actually own hundreds of albums? 20 years ago, well that's the early 90s at this stage so I'd imagine the average number of albums owned would be quite similar, again certainly not in the hundreds.

I think you're forgetting that the vast majority of people (at least in my experience) over-estimate the amount of storage they actually need. They buy 500GB external hard drives for backing up photos and documents. Even I only use 8GBs of my phones 32GBs of storage and I'd be more realistic of what storage I'd need or use than the average person. Having big music collections isn't impossible either. My music collection is close to 40GBs (not including stuff that I have in flac format which isn't much right now but I plan to expand on it) and the vast majority was legally obtained and I haven't bought a cd in years. If I was as big into music as I was as a teen I'd be easily over 100GBs right now, if not a lot more. And I wasn't even that big into music back then.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Completely agree. Gamestop take the piss. Buying a game for €25 and selling it for €55 is a complete pisstake. I won't buy the second hand title unless there is a decent difference in price just out of principle but I can understand why many would. I don't have a problem with second hand sales, but I do have a problem with gamestop ripping people off with second hand sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

A nasty situation however I'm not sure how it's relevant here. Are you using it as an example of a way that legitimate customers are penalised?

Yes.

edit: and also as an example where invasive DRM may lead to reduced revenues. I and plenty others who are fans of the series didn't buy that particular iteration on the back of the DRM in it.
    Good for you, and I mean that sincerely. If you have an issue with a game because of the DRM that it uses then don't buy it. I do hope, however, that you didn't go and download it instead. :)

I don't actually, as unbelievable as that may sound :pac:
    The exact amount is unmeasurable but common sense indicates that if someone can get it for free and has done so, they more than likely won't then pay for it unless they have some pretty strong feelings on the matter.

fair point, but again, anecdotal evidence suggests this is far from absolute. Consumers are such an irrational creature afterall... if we were all that rational we'd never have recessions :)
    You were right earlier, it is an unknown. We simply cannot tell conclusively that someone would have bought something if they did not have the ability to download it for free.

Yeah, but we could have more accurate estimates.
    There's a problem with your logic here, what is to stop demos garnering the same amount of chatter on message boards rather than a full pirated version?

Well, it's an additional medium to gain exposure through. More people consume games than actively follow the gaming media, I'm assuming the same regards downloading.
    The numbers speak for themselves to be honest and lets face it, do you know anyone who doesn't pirate material? The industry is only able to absorb it for two reasons a) they're not losing a physical copy of something and b) they can sell enough of their higher profile games to make some sort of profit.

Yeah, but the people I know who pirate the most of a particular medium are also the greatest consumers of said medium. So you have the weird situation where the industries greatest asset is also their greatest liability here (i.e. their loyal customers). So that their most loyal customers would feel the need to pirate is perhaps an indication that their pricing model is off, afterall my mates have a fixed disposable income.

I'm still not getting your point then... where's the lost revenue?
    I can see the connection between movies and games but music and games? Not so much unfortunately.

Entertainment medium, competing for disposable income. They are linked and competing with each other.
    Actually the majority of them are from newer acts, bar good 'ol Bon Jovi at the top there. :D

Ehhh, wrong. Only Bieber, Swift and Gaga are acts that started out in the last decade.
    The problem is that we do unfortunately, both in terms of lower than projected sales for some games compared to their download rates, developers having to close due to these lowered sales, the figures quoted by MS for their ban waves and generally looking around at people who download stuff whether we know them irl or here on Boards. :o

But that's assuming we've been able to quantify the correlation, which we haven't. And on the subject of developers closing, well it's an entertainment medium and will always be notoriously competitive. How many actors or musicians do you know who have stable incomes? The majority don't.
    I fully believe the figure is often embellished, particularly in the music industry as they always seem to focus on CD sales which, less face it, are declining due to the meteoric rise in the popularity of the digital download.

Yeah, the music industry is particularly notorious for being slow to adapt to market changes, so it's probably not as relevant as I thought. I'll shut up now :)

• Advertisement

I think you're forgetting that the vast majority of people (at least in my experience) over-estimate the amount of storage they actually need. They buy 500GB external hard drives for backing up photos and documents. Even I only use 8GBs of my phones 32GBs of storage and I'd be more realistic of what storage I'd need or use than the average person. Having big music collections isn't impossible either. My music collection is close to 40GBs (not including stuff that I have in flac format which isn't much right now but I plan to expand on it) and the vast majority was legally obtained and I haven't bought a cd in years. If I was as big into music as I was as a teen I'd be easily over 100GBs right now, if not a lot more. And I wasn't even that big into music back then.
    You'd have over a thousand albums?

As for the rest, I'm referring more to the drive from companies to up the storage capacity of these devices. That's discounting the marketing side of "bigger means better" of course. There's also a more personal issue of knowing a bunch of people who do have iPods full of music.
    Yes.
    Ah, well that is a downside alright but I still don't think it serves as an excuse for people to pirate the game. Perhaps temporarily so they can play it once they've purchased it but no more.
    Yeah, but we could have more accurate estimates.
    Serious question so, what do you think would be an accurate estimate? Given that we're dealing with irrational consumers as you say (something I do agree with too actually) how would one measure the likelihood of them buying something when not given the ability to download it. Personally my go-to number would be 50%. :)
    Well, it's an additional medium to gain exposure through. More people consume games than actively follow the gaming media, I'm assuming the same regards downloading.
    Slight misunderstanding here, you said that the ability to download games is useful as people would then talk about them on forums hence raising their profile. My counter-point was why do they need the full game to do this, why not the demo?
    Yeah, but the people I know who pirate the most of a particular medium are also the greatest consumers of said medium. So you have the weird situation where the industries greatest asset is also their greatest liability here (i.e. their loyal customers). So that their most loyal customers would feel the need to pirate is perhaps an indication that their pricing model is off, afterall my mates have a fixed disposable income.
    Two different points here, the first was that people who download stuff also consume the most legally also. This can often be true however as I suggested on another thread on a similar issue, with the advent of services like Spotify which allow you to stream full albums, do people really need to download the full thing illegally in order to try before they buy?

The other point you kind of made there was that people have fixed disposable incomes, again I assume this relates to being able to try before they buy which is where streaming services (with music) and demos (with games) come in. If you mean they buy some stuff and just download other stuff because of this fixed income well then that's not really an excuse. :)
    I'm still not getting your point then... where's the lost revenue?
    The fact that a lot of people are walking around with extremely full, high capacity mp3 players when there is very little likelihood of them owning those hundreds of albums.
    Entertainment medium, competing for disposable income. They are linked and competing with each other.
    Ah yes, quite true.
    Ehhh, wrong. Only Bieber, Swift and Gaga are acts that started out in the last decade.
    The Black Eye Peas only really got big in the last 5 years or so and I'd regard Dave Matthews Band and Eminem as still being pretty modern, certainly when compared to Roger Waters. :D
    But that's assuming we've been able to quantify the correlation, which we haven't. And on the subject of developers closing, well it's an entertainment medium and will always be notoriously competitive. How many actors or musicians do you know who have stable incomes? The majority don't.
    Again we're dealing with common sense here. Look at the figures above and tell me that over 1m downloads of your game compared to just under 1m purchased copies won't have serious ramifications for your future as a company. As for the movies comparison, well the difference is, if a movie doesn't do well due to piracy the people behind the movie won't get sacked. It's also pretty unlikely that the leading man or woman will suffer either. The way people will be affected really is if the movie itself is poor quality which isn't what we're talking about here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'd have over a thousand albums?
    100GBs =/= 1000 albums. Some of my albums are nearly half a GB, some are complete tripe that I don't listen to any more and others I just got bored of. I stopped buying CDs when I was about 19ish, and since then I've had a lot more disposable income so if I was as big into music as I was then I reckon my music collection would be a lot bigger.

P.S. I guestimated wrong only have 25GBs of music currently.
    As for the rest, I'm referring more to the drive from companies to up the storage capacity of these devices. That's discounting the marketing side of "bigger means better" of course. There's also a more personal issue of knowing a bunch of people who do have iPods full of music.

What does any of that have to do with piracy. Just because someone has tonnes of storage space doesn't mean they'll fill it.

100GBs =/= 1000 albums. Some of my albums are nearly half a GB, some are complete tripe that I don't listen to any more and others I just got bored of. I stopped buying CDs when I was about 19ish, and since then I've had a lot more disposable income so if I was as big into music as I was then I reckon my music collection would be a lot bigger.

P.S. I guestimated wrong only have 25GBs of music currently.
    The 1000 albums comes from an average of V0 quality rips which are in and around 100MB a piece. At 500MB I'm assuming you like your FLAC? :)
    What does any of that have to do with piracy. Just because someone has tonnes of storage space doesn't mean they'll fill it.
    Quite true, as I said above though I know plenty of people who do almost fill it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Is this another excuse for them to up the price on already expensive games, is that their excuse? cause if it is they can Fop off!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is this another excuse for them to up the price on already expensive games, is that their excuse? cause if it is they can Fop off!

"Its grand just download them anyway."

that will be the motto if that happens.

• Advertisement

The 1000 albums comes from an average of V0 quality rips which are in and around 100MB a piece. At 500MB I'm assuming you like your FLAC? :)

I was excluding FLAC from that, although that's the way I'm gonna start going, I have the storage space so why not. :). The ones at nearly 500MBs are anthologies or multi-disk albums. Anywho we're going a tad off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A reputable Dutch site "ps3 sense" posted that Sony's method to fight piracy if true uses a future unique Blu-ray id, a game serial key, PS3 Id, and some input from Sony(like activating windows over the phone or online) before the game decrypt and install some small files that allow the game to run on that singular PS3(needing more input from Sony or PSN for each console).

Might not mess with hacks for long but used games won't do well unless Sony make some deals with shops, but as any local system updates would do no good only activation from Sony's side would have any chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm pretty sure you were basing it on the size of an average album as it's shared around. :pac: Even if I were to fill an iPod with music it's not a loss to the music industry if I wasn't going to buy in the first place.

Also isn't the attach rate for the Xbox far higher than for the PS3 despite how much more common piracy on the 360 has been up until pretty recently?

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you were basing it on the size of an average album as it's shared around. :pac: Even if I were to fill an iPod with music it's not a loss to the music industry if I wasn't going to buy in the first place.
    If I was to do that it would be about half of that figure. I don't know about you but the first thing I do when I buy a CD nowadays, after listening to it first of course, is to rip it to my PC. :)

As for the second part, well that's the entire point of this thread or at least the point many are trying to make, if you couldn't pirate it would you buy more. Personally I find the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" argument bull****, if you wouldn't buy it then delete it. If you don't want to delete it and in fact listen to it often, they stop being a cheap **** and buy it.
    Also isn't the attach rate for the Xbox far higher than for the PS3 despite how much more common piracy on the 360 has been up until pretty recently?
    It's higher alright, but not that much higher. That can be attributed to the lead the 360 has had over the PS3 though in terms of release dates and initial library of big titles available for it.

Personally I find the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" argument bull****, if you wouldn't buy it then delete it. If you don't want to delete it and in fact listen to it often, they stop being a cheap **** and buy it.

The argument against these numbers of lost profits and the as said "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" excuse is ****, whether you have cost a company to lose potential profits is irrelative these pirates have illegal obtain software/music/film/books that they have no right to.

From now on the industry should just say that €**** billion/million of illegal obtained software has been downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have a hard time believing that people only download games they genuinely wouldn't have payed for. I suspect a certain amount of cognitive dissonance is at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Games need to be made cheaper.. FACT

Even pre-owned games are an outrageous price

This cross platform that steam are doing with Portal 2 is deffo a step in the right direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games publishers need to stop blaming poor sales on piracy using outrageously inflated figures. Take some responsibility. A good well advertised product will sell.

Tallon wrote: »
    Games need to be made cheaper.. FACT
    Can't happen. It's been discussed to death around here but the fact of the matter is, paying at least 50 skilled people for around 3 years in order to make a game, then test it, manufacture it and advertise it isn't cheap.

How many more games do you think people would buy if they were cheaper, really? I mean books and the cinema aren't expensive but people only go to see a limited number of those which are released. Then you have the time consideration, even if games were cheaper and people could afford more, would they still buy more of them given the time needed to play them?
    Tallon wrote: »
    This cross platform that steam are doing with Portal 2 is deffo a step in the right direction.
    Very true, the Steam Play idea is ****ing fantastic and I really do wish it was available not only outside of Steam games but also other media. I long for the day when I buy a book and get a copy of the ebook version too so I can bring it with me on my laptop/phone/eReader.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Games publishers need to stop blaming poor sales on piracy using outrageously inflated figures. Take some responsibility. A good well advertised product will sell.
    They can dispense with the monetary amounts and just point to the actual download figures then, whichever you use they're too high and they tell the same story. Piracy is a problem. Not the problem but definitely a problem. As for advertising, that's ****ing expensive, plus the law of diminishing returns kicks in when every game is being advertised heavily and your title is being lost in the chaos of glossy full page ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Can't happen. It's been discussed to death around here but the fact of the matter is, paying at least 50 skilled people for around 3 years in order to make a game, then test it, manufacture it and advertise it isn't cheap.

How many more games do you think people would buy if they were cheaper, really? I mean books and the cinema aren't expensive but people only go to see a limited number of those which are released. Then you have the time consideration, even if games were cheaper and people could afford more, would they still buy more of them given the time needed to play them?

Very true, the Steam Play idea is ****ing fantastic and I really do wish it was available not only outside of Steam games but also other media. I long for the day when I buy a book and get a copy of the ebook version too so I can bring it with me on my laptop/phone/eReader.

They can dispense with the monetary amounts and just point to the actual download figures then, whichever you use they're too high and they tell the same story. Piracy is a problem. Not the problem but definitely a problem. As for advertising, that's ****ing expensive, plus the law of diminishing returns kicks in when every game is being advertised heavily and your title is being lost in the chaos of glossy full page ads.

I'd buy more if they were cheaper, 50 quid a pop is ****ing expensive ! Its not even remotely similar to going to the cinema. Ofc people will buy more games if they're cheaper. The best way to do this is by cutting out the middlemen, digital distribution will solve so many problems. They're sales wont just increase because they can sell the games cheaper, but they'd be taking a huge chunk out of the preowned market, which is far more damaging than piracy ever was. Also, it would be alot easier to tackle this piracy nonsense.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    I'd buy more if they were cheaper, 50 quid a pop is ****ing expensive ! Its not even remotely similar to going to the cinema. Ofc people will buy more games if they're cheaper. The best way to do this is by cutting out the middlemen, digital distribution will solve so many problems. They're sales wont just increase because they can sell the games cheaper, but they'd be taking a huge chunk out of the preowned market, which is far more damaging than piracy ever was. Also, it would be alot easier to tackle this piracy nonsense.
    Well yes you'd buy more, but do you think you and others would buy enough more to justify the fall in price? That's the question most industry people would be asking themselves.

And I don't see why it's so different from going to the cinema. Both are a form of entertainment that we spend our disposable income on. Despite the cinema being considerably cheaper than video games plus not lasting as long, I still don't go and see every movie that comes out that looks vaguely interesting.

Cutting out the middlemen is perhaps the only thing they can do, they're still left with development and testing costs which are extremely large. You're also left with the Steam type scenario of a multitude of games being released at the same time and many of them, some quite often great, going unnoticed.

As for the second hand market being more damaging, yes I'd completely agree with that. However we're talking specifically about piracy here, the second hand games market argument has also been beaten to death in other threads. :o

Agreed....but its a two way street.

Magill wrote: »
    I'd buy more if they were cheaper, 50 quid a pop is ****ing expensive !

When you hear of people pirating games that are going for less than €20, I think people will always pirate something as long as it costs more than free.

sarumite wrote: »
    When you hear of people pirating games that are going for less than €20, I think people will always pirate something as long as it costs more than free.
    There was widespread pirating of the Humble Bundle Indie pack, something you could pay whatever you wanted for. :o

Cutting out the middlemen is perhaps the only thing they can do, they're still left with development and testing costs which are extremely large.

It's fine for steam who could live very happily without gamestop getting a cut, but Sony, MS, and Nintendo have hardware to worry about and shops don't make much of a cut on those to make it worth their while.

Pblishers/developers don't start making a game and keep upping the budget until release and hope for the best, a lot of the time they try to estimate sales at the standard price early in development and workout a budget from that.

I don't think games are overly expensive for what you get from them compare to mostly everything else, but not every game should get the automatic 50/60 price tag. I've read and heard about this Mexican wrestling game that would have done far better in sale and profits at 30/40 from many reviews and critics who liked the game but could not justify the price.

There should be more level of price that games can come in under rather than the blanket €50 expected from anything on a DVD/Blu-ray(awesome PS3 HD collections excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Funny how the 360 and PS3 have comparable install bases, the PS3's security has so far not been compromised to the public while 360 piracy is rife and yet games sell the same or better on the 360.

Surely the fact the PS3 has only caught up recently would play a huge part in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If I was to do that it would be about half of that figure. I don't know about you but the first thing I do when I buy a CD nowadays, after listening to it first of course, is to rip it to my PC. :)
    Yeah but I was saying that a typical album download would be under 100MB whereas when I rip an album it's more like 300 usually, so there's 2/3 less straightaway. :pac:

Yeah but I was saying that a typical album download would be under 100MB whereas when I rip an album it's more like 300 usually, so there's 2/3 less straightaway. :pac:
    Hah, fair enough. :D

That being said, I still don't know anyone who owns 300 albums either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I don't play a huge number of games, but there is a trend among record labels that people should keep an eye out for. Interesting musicians and bands are progressively disappearing from major label rosters and being replaced by the kind of product that sells to people who don't know how to use torrents; small children and people over fifty. Sanctuary Records used to be a home for those interesting bands who were dropped by their labels - until it folded.

There's a very simple rule at play: if people are pirating the product you make, then you focus on making and selling products pirates aren't interested in. The trend that's operating in music is a few years behind in gaming, but sooner or later the money in games will be focused on selling not to you, but to your small child or your parents or grandparents. It's the reason Justin Bieber and Michael Buble are getting astronomical sums spent on them.

Make it unprofitable to sell to you, and you'll ensure nobody bothers producing anything aimed at you. Whether or not you'd have bought that game, the manufacturer thinks you would have, and your download is another signpost pointing towards Kinectimals and Nintendogs for them. It's the same with films - there's been a boom in simple, kid-friendly films with sequels already agreed, because there's simply no financial benefit to focusing on gritty films. Kick-Ass was turned down as an option by countless studios because it was too risky, and may not have made its budget back. You don't hire a huge team and make them work for months or years to produce something that's a huge piracy risk; it's financially insane. Far more sensible to hire a smaller team to work less and produce a sequel to a simple game that sold lots to people who aren't likely to be pirates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't play a huge number of games, but there is a trend among record labels that people should keep an eye out for. Interesting musicians and bands are progressively disappearing from major label rosters and being replaced by the kind of product that sells to people who don't know how to use torrents; small children and people over fifty. Sanctuary Records used to be a home for those interesting bands who were dropped by their labels - until it folded.

There's a very simple rule at play: if people are pirating the product you make, then you focus on making and selling products pirates aren't interested in. The trend that's operating in music is a few years behind in gaming, but sooner or later the money in games will be focused on selling not to you, but to your small child or your parents or grandparents. It's the reason Justin Bieber and Michael Buble are getting astronomical sums spent on them.

I read that and thought if you are writing songs no one wants to pay for try writing better songs.

Advertisement