Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminding

Options
  • 15-01-2011 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

i am about to become a childminder, for someone in their home, the baby is only 6 months
    they said they would leave it up to me how much i wanted to be paid but i honestly dont know how much a childminder should be paid?

any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It really depends on the hours you are putting in.

If it's only for 2 hours a time you would require a much higher hourly rate than someone expected to babysit 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday. Bear in mind you're probably not paying tax either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 niam

well they think it might be 15 hours a week,
    some weeks maybe more, some weeks, maybe less but around that...?
    what wud u suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Not sure about rates etc, but have you tried the Parenting forum? Think this question comes up fairly regularly over there so you might get more relevant replies. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

If you have no experience other than just minding a friends child now and then , then i would say around minimum wage.

If you are qualified in childcare then i would imagine around €8 upwards, name your price.

Personally, i wouldnt let anyone that wasnt qualified mind my kids and then i would have to know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 niam

im actually a qualified social care worker, so i might say 8 or so then...thanks a mil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

In that case i wouldnt sell myself short. Ask for more than that but bear in mind their budget if any .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not ask for, say €8, with the understanding there will be a review and agreement after 3 or 6 months. Also get holidays, expenses etc agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Bear in mind you're probably not paying tax either.

Please don't advise illegal things here.

OP, your employers need to register with Revenue, and they will need to be paying PRSI for you, as well as your wage. They should consult Revenue.ie for the employer helpline number for information about this. This is to your benefit, as it counts toward a number of benefits for you later on.

Advertisement