Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

france 2011

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

just booked three weeks in france, looking for some do's and donts and must go places. going for the first time with wife and kids aged 7 and 3 in the camper. all links and suggestions welcome,, leaving on the 21st july

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Hi there,

we have gone for the past four years with two kids too. Main pre-requisite we set ourselves is to stay on sites, not aires de service. It's extra cost but it's piece of mind at night. Also the kids have kids clubs, pool, play areas and so on. If the kids are happy we're happy. We don't need to move everyday. I have the bike on the back of the wagon and can use that to get to and from the nearest town or village for supplies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

get alan rodgers book for france.lists all the good sites

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

must look out for this,
    thanks

How much driving do you want to have to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I always recommend PuyduFou which is a great day out for all the family.
    The Vendee region is always a safe bet, Not too much driving, weather great and lovely beeches.
    We've been drawn back to La Garengoire many times over the years. Lots of activities for the kids & parents. This is part of Les Castles group where you can guarantee top quality sites but can be a bit costly.

+1 on the AlanRogers guide. Treat yourself to a copy for Christmas (Easons)

There's a lot of info on France to be found on this forum so do a search for words like Vendee, Brittany, France and you'll be filled with a lot valuable info.

• Advertisement

Don't mind how many miles we do as we have 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

joed571 wrote: »
    Don't mind how many miles we do as we have 3 weeks.

Consider Germany too if you have 3 weeks. We toured Bavaria a few years back and it's a stunning place to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Have visited sites that Rogers has touted and ran after 1 night. Never again. Rogers is totally commercial and the sites pay for inclusion in his 'guide'.

France is all things to all campers and you have to go and find it for yourself.

You will get help here but you need to be specific in your requirements.

Have a look on this and take note of the reviews in particular.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/county.asp?region=France

You will love it. have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Checked prices last night with Irish Ferries, Celtic Link and through UK.

CL cost €650 return, going out 23rd June, back 10th July (approx).

IF were double that price !!!

Going through UK cost €450 total.

All were for camper plus 5.

Looks like we'll be going through UK.

thanks for the links guys,
    dfbemt wrote: »

Looks like we'll be going through UK.[/QUOTE

would that not take up more of your holiday plus cost extra for desiel ?. That celtic link price isnt to bad as mine is closer to €900 for a month later

• Advertisement

would that not take up more of your holiday plus cost extra for desiel ?. That celtic link price isnt to bad as mine is closer to €900 for a month later

Home - Rosslare 220km
    Cherbourg - Campsite 1200km
    Total 1420km

Holyhead - Dover 600km
    Calais - Campsite 900km
    Total 1500km

So still through UK for me.

But you're right. The cost of diesel certainly has to be considered as well as how long you can drive with the kids and remain sane !!

Coming back we will call into some relations for a nightand break up the 600km through the UK.

You really have to consider everything when travelling to France

1200km on the otherside is some drive, agree with trying to remain sane with the kids
    there is so much to think off for this trip, cant even speak any french:D looks like im going to have too wing it or learn quick

1200km on the otherside is some drive, agree with trying to remain sane with the kids
    there is so much to think off for this trip, cant even speak any french:D looks like im going to have too wing it or learn quick

Its a big drive.

Dont worry about the language, and to some extent everybody wings it on the first trip.

Plenty of campsites to stop and break the journey.
    Diesel at best price has to be planned, by which I mean not letting your tank go low.
    A SATNAV is a huge advantage, in fact most people would be a lot less adventurous without one.

Just go for it. Its not to be feared in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Home - Rosslare 220km
    Cherbourg - Campsite 1200km
    Total 1420km

Holyhead - Dover 600km
    Calais - Campsite 900km
    Total 1500km

So still through UK for me.

But you're right. The cost of diesel certainly has to be considered as well as how long you can drive with the kids and remain sane !!

Coming back we will call into some relations for a nightand break up the 600km through the UK.

You really have to consider everything when travelling to France

For many years now I have travelled through the UK and then on to France. I book Stena Line here through one of the Motorhome Clubs at a discount. I also book with either Sea France or Norfold Line, which ever has the best deal. I can usually get the French Crossing for £35 return. This price is for a motorhome up to 6.5mts with up to 9 passengers. Have a look NOW at either of the 2 ferry operators. I travel to Rosslare the evening before or if work allows I will get the night ferry to Fishguard, I stay in the car park just outside the port. I am in bed by 1.20 am. The following morning I have a leisurly drive to Dover for a late afternoon sailing to France. I will spend the night in the port area car park. Fill up the following morning at Auchen before heading south.

might look into that way for the future.
    would i have to pre book some of the better campsites before i go ?

might look into that way for the future.
    would i have to pre book some of the better campsites before i go ?

As you are arriving in France at end of July, you are likely to find Campsites quite full especially the coastal ones.
    Some people (prob without children) dont bother to book ahead and always seem to find pitches.
    So it depends on your circumstances but for a first trip I personally would book ahead and just because its peak time in the French campsites.
    If nothing else it will make you plan your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

just booked three weeks in france, looking for some do's and donts and must go places. going for the first time with wife and kids aged 7 and 3 in the camper. all links and suggestions welcome,, leaving on the 21st july

We have been going to France since the mid '80,s.
    Late July and early August are the worst times, top prices, bad traffic jams, long queues, too hot, Med coast is absolutely jammers at that time.
    If you are tied to the above period I would suggest staying within a hundred mile or so of the Atlantic coast. and avoiding the central inland areas (heat and kids don't mix well).

You will love France as a camper holiday destination, but as it's your first time it would be better to take it a bit easy and enjoy the experience rather than to jump into the deep end to find yourself and family arriving knackered at a hot, pricey and crowded Med resort area.

[QUOTE but as it's your first time it would be better to take it a bit easy and enjoy the experience rather than to jump into the deep end to find yourself and family arriving knackered at a hot, pricey and crowded Med resort area.[/QUOTE]

The wifes parents are going now aswell in there camper, they have been going for years aswell so it wont be that bad, thanks for the avice about staying around the atlantic coast, im not used to too much heat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashfaclan

hi guys,

some french people have a board called "mercotribe" which would be translate by "merc-tribe", (Mercedes camper van community) they have set up a map of france to share members locations but also some good spots to park the camper and addresses of garages nice and friendly. I haven't check the spots myself, I'have never been to france with my camper but I'm sure it worth a peek ;)

iconcp.png

the first icon (top) represents the location of the community's members.
    the second icon represents the garages where they had a good experience, good feedbacks, the garages might not be only for Mercedes, dunno....
    the third icon represents where they've stop for a night or more to have a good time. if you are looking for new spots it might be interesting.

here is the link (google map) :
    french map by mercotribe

good trip in france !
    cheers.

Looks like we'll be going through UK.

Just an update on our prices as we have things a bit cheaper now.

Booked Dublin - Holyhead with Stena using Tesco Tokens. Normal cost is €348 but with Tesco is €398, so that's €100 in Tesco vouchers.

Have decided to go Dover - Dunkirk with Norfolk Line, costing €78 return.

Total travel cost to get to France is €178, down from my earlier total of €450.

We are booked, going out as soon as kids get off school and coming back 3 weeks later.

Germany and France here we come. Happy Holidays :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I was thinking of taking a Motorhome to France in mid May.I was intending on travelling down the west coast of France and then onto Nice for the Monaco GP.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to go about planning the trip.I would be looking at staying overnight at a few campsites and taking maybe 3-4 days for the trip.
    What would be the best sites for Ferry Quotations.Would my best bet be, to go from Ireland to France by Ferry, rather than through England.
    Also is there any Websites where you can put in your route and it gives you a list of Campsites on your route,or how would I best plan for Campsites on my way.Or would it be ok to go at that time of year,without having sites booked.?
    Sorry for all the questions,but as I only recently bought the Motorhome,it is all new to me.:p

manta356 wrote: »
    I was thinking of taking a Motorhome to France in mid May.I was intending on travelling down the west coast of France and then onto Nice for the Monaco GP.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to go about planning the trip.I would be looking at staying overnight at a few campsites and taking maybe 3-4 days for the trip.
    What would be the best sites for Ferry Quotations.Would my best bet be, to go from Ireland to France by Ferry, rather than through England.
    Also is there any Websites where you can put in your route and it gives you a list of Campsites on your route,or how would I best plan for Campsites on my way.Or would it be ok to go at that time of year,without having sites booked.?
    Sorry for all the questions,but as I only recently bought the Motorhome,it is all new to me.:p

Just booked for end May with Celtic Link (Rosslare to Cherbourg) great value, €357 return including cabin for 2.

Suggest you get the ACSI camping card. Map and booklet describing each site for max €15 a night including hook up (2 adults), buy this at Vicarious Books for €17 odd and use for 2011.The card is for low season which you will be travelling in.

Best of luck and have a ball.

Don't forget the Aire facilities in France. These are official overnight stopping places in cities, towns and villages throughout France, there are over 5,000 of them.
    BEWARE, do not confuse these Aires with those which are rest and services areas on main roads and motorways which can be most unsafe and best avoided for overnight stops.

Have a look here at http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm, it has the most comprehensive information currently available for 'campingcarists' visiting France.

Have a superb holiday, camping-cars were made for France, or is the the other way round:D:D

niloc1951 wrote: »

You will love France as a camper holiday destination, but as it's your first time it would be better to take it a bit easy and enjoy the experience rather than to jump into the deep end to find yourself and family arriving knackered at a hot, pricey and crowded Med resort area.

looks like a went against all your advice:eek:

booked this campsite for the second week of our holiday http://www.floride.fr/index-uk.php
    anyone ever been to it.

A beautiful part of France, we have been there probably a half a dozen times or more, most recently 2008, but never stayed in Le Floride as we usually use the excellent Aires in the region.
    Places to put on your 'must try to visit' list
    Le Perthus, the frontier town between France and Spain
    Collioure
    Port-Vendres
    Banyuls-sur-Mer
    In fact the whole coast from the Camargue (white horses and pink flamingo's) west to the Spanish border is a campers paradise with beautiful towns and villages and a distinct Catalonian feel, and is a world apart from the Cote d'Azur.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

We planning to head to France in camper with 3 children ( 6,4,2). We've gone to Spain the last two years by air and instead of heading to the beach, would like to try eastern France, around the alpes possibly?
    Has anyone done this? Would we be better off going across the UK? We going for about 2 1/2 weeks from early July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

kat2171 wrote: »
    We planning to head to France in camper with 3 children ( 6,4,2). We've gone to Spain the last two years by air and instead of heading to the beach, would like to try eastern France, around the alpes possibly?
    Has anyone done this? Would we be better off going across the UK? We going for about 2 1/2 weeks from early July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last year, and again for 2011 we went landbridge via UK. It was the cheaper option considering the rise in prices for the childrens school holidays in July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hymer514

kat2171 wrote: »

went down along the german border to switzerland last year magnificent but a long drive with kids alsace lorraine is choclate box nice but theres not a lot there for kids unless you head for specific sites that cater for families castle campsites have a range sites that look good beside lakes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi everyone, am French myself, living in Ireland, and we've gone to France with camper the last 2 years.

OP don't worry about the language, do try to say Bonjour, merci, and a few basics, if you try they will really appreciate the effort, but they do speak English in most places.

We've 2 young kids (oldest 5 yo), and I like my comfort, so we've been using this site (see below) (and the book you receive when you join them) to select campsites, and this is really reliable as regards quality of facilities, and has a selection that is aimed mostly at families with kids like ourselves. Campsites with great playgrounds, and pools, so you can safely avoid the actual coast but have a brilliant time in the pool every day.

http://www.campingcheque.com/

Last year we saved 85 euros on a 5 nights stay in this campsite (great site btw) thanks to the ACSI card, so another one worth getting ! Great campsite for anyone with kids, however we found 5 nights in one spot too long and won't book that long in one spot anymore, but that's just us :p
    http://www.les-sablons.com/fr/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

Have to agree - 2 or 3 nights is plenty in any campsite when youre touring. We always get itchy feet then and move on elsewhere. You can see and do all in that amount of time I think. I always pity the people stuck in one site for a week or even 2!!
    Berney Riviere near Disney area is a fantastic site and they run a coach to Disney every second day.
    Prairies de la Mer down near Fréjus is a lovely site too. Mostly villas and mobiles but the facilities onsite are great and the port beside it is an eyeopener with all the wealth!
    Also the aires de service on the motorway are a definite NO NO for overnighters. It's tempting to stop off there especially at night after a long journey but unless you want to put yourself at risk of being robbed or worse - move on...

Advertisement