Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 47: Salmon in a Bag

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭

Salmon Steaks in a Bag
    Makes 4 portions

(This can be easily adapted for other fish, chicken breasts & pork chops.)

Ingredients
    4 large fresh salmon steaks
    4 bay leaves
    4 sprigs of dill
    4 knobs of butter
    2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
    2 lemons, 1 juiced - 1 quartered
    1 head of fennel sliced
    Olive oil
    Salt & black pepper, to taste

Preparation
    Preheat the oven to 180ºC, Gas Mark 4
    Tear off 4 squares of tin foil - each being twice the size required to wrap a salmon steak
    In each square grease the center with some olive oil & divide the fennel slices evenly between each square of foil
    Place a salmon steak on the bed of fennel in each foil square along with a bayleaf, sprig of dill (or fennel tops if you have them) & knob of butter
    Divide the slices of garlic & lemon juice equally between each salmon steak & add salt & pepper to taste
    Taking one of the tin foil squares bring two opposing sides up to meet each other & fold so that you make an open-ended bag
    (Be careful not to spill any of the contents)
    Now fold the open ends so that the salmon is sealed inside the tin foil 'bag'
    It should be secure enough that little or no steam will escape
    Places each of the 'bags' on a roasting tray & pop in the over for 25 to 30 mins (take care when opening as the steam may scald you)
    Serve with buttered potatoes & a side salad of crunchy leaves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this for dinner last night, Hill Billy.

I couldn't get a fennel so I used some butternut squash instead. It was lovely and the dill and lemon went really well with the salmon and indeed with the squash too. I'll try it the next time with fennel as I've never had it before, though.

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7994

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it. And I really like the fact that you improvised instead of sticking to the recipe. That's my kind of cooking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it. And I really like the fact that you improvised instead of sticking to the recipe. That's my kind of cooking! :)

I really do try to keep as close as possible to the suggested recipe, but I too am a fan of improvisation too when there's no other way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Thanks Hillbilly! Did this with some boneless pork chops I had no idea what to do with last night and it worked very well indeed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you don't have dill, what would be the next best thing? If I buy any more spices I may be shot. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you don't want to buy sprigs of fresh dill, the tops of the fennel bulbs will do just as well. If you don't have either - try a dash of pastis (eg, Pernod) in with the lemon juice.

I hope that helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, we have some pastis so that's grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We had this for dinner last night, Hill Billy.

I couldn't get a fennel so I used some butternut squash instead. It was lovely and the dill and lemon went really well with the salmon and indeed with the squash too. I'll try it the next time with fennel as I've never had it before, though.

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7994

Great piece of salmon, where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Making this in an hour. As usual bought the salmon and found the recipe so looked up both a fennel and dill substitute.

For the fennel it said celery (one time i actually had it) and anaise seeds. Gonna try celery with one star anise.

For dill i'm gonna try an oregano & basil mix (also recommended substitute). Will make up a butter with oregano & basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

To accompany I will use a baby potato recipe from Jamie Olivers 60 min meals which is gorgeous.

Cook baby potatos as normal for about 20 mins in boiling water with 2 or three garlic cloves.

Then heat a large frying pan and add a good amount of olive oil, two sprigs of rosemary and the drained potatoes and garlic. After 3 mins 'pop' the potatoes with a potato masher. Apply very small pressure to just break the skin of the potatoes. Gently turn and fry for another 5 or 6 mins until the potatos have a browned skin. Just before serving juice of 1/4 lemon to pan to give them a lovely kick. My favourite potato recipe at the moment.

Will post results for my fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made this for dinner. Didn't have fennel bulbs so I used leeks instead.
    Served with steamed broccoli and steamed cubed potatoes tossed in white wine vinegar and dill.
    This was a lovely dish, great for a lovely 'summery' evening. No photos unfortunately as it was one of those dishes that I had everyone waiting at the table for. Thanks tHB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I got four tuna fillets in aldi for €2.50 that I was wondering what I was gonna do with. Now I know. :) I'll report back next week when I make it! X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I got four tuna fillets in aldi for €2.50 that I was wondering what I was gonna do with. Now I know. :) I'll report back next week when I make it! X

Well that was amazing! Thank you for the recipe! I had it with some roast potatoes. Nom nom nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Had salmon in the freezer that id been putting off cooking for quite a while now, not a big salmon fan, usually just fry the bejesus out of it and force myself to eat it..

So came across this recipe, bought some fennel and dill yesterday. Turned out lovely, nice surprise I have to admit!
    rodrob111 wrote: »
    Cook baby potatos as normal for about 20 mins in boiling water with 2 or three garlic cloves.

Then heat a large frying pan and add a good amount of olive oil, two sprigs of rosemary and the drained potatoes and garlic. After 3 mins 'pop' the potatoes with a potato masher. Apply very small pressure to just break the skin of the potatoes. Gently turn and fry for another 5 or 6 mins until the potatos have a browned skin. Just before serving juice of 1/4 lemon to pan to give them a lovely kick. My favourite potato recipe at the moment.

Had it with these potatoes, also lovely. A nice lemony dinner, easy to do as well, definitely worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this last night and really enjoyed it.

As I could not find fennel we had celeriac with some fennel seeds instead.

CC-2010-47-Salmon-in-a-Bag.jpg

I found fennel today, so we will be making this again in later on in the week!

Advertisement