Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingertip Cuts in Winter!

Options
  • 21-11-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

My fingers give me serious bother in the winter with hacks/cuts in particular my thumbs, I have tried many different solutions to fixing this such as nivea and neutrogena cream (which am using right now) none of these seem to be effective enough to prevent this from happening although bandages do work and am sure gloves would would too but as annoying it would be for anyone I couldn't keep wearing bandages or gloves for a 6 month period, so I ask if anyone out there experience similiar problems in the winter months and is it time I went to a dermatoligist? Any advice would be much appreciative, thanks.

Francie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having cuts like that isn't normal. I'm not saying its a huge problem, but there is the risk of infection. Start with your GP, he might refer you to someone.

One thing, when you get a cut, try using Savlon healing cream - it heals cuts and scratches about 3 times faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just got two of the fcukers overnight, one at the base of the nail on my thumb and one on the middle finger on the same hand. I generally just wash them and let themselves sort themselves out, they hurt enough that I instinctively don't use them and make them worse. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My mother has raynaud's disease (not saying you have that!!) but it means she has awful circulation in her hands and feet. She generally gets these splits on her thumbs, can go right under her nail and are very deep, and refuse to heal. I usually use some savlon / paper stitches & a few plasters for her to try and let it heal up. There was a cream, fucidin or something similar (prescription only) that sometimes helped.

But honestly if these cracks are bad / not healing, I'd take a visit to your GP and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Thanks for the advice. Oh mine heal no problem but its more annoying than anything because when they start its very sore when contact with anything, I really think the wind is more a factor rather than cold but both mixed together are just savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ah well if they heal quick enough that's definitely a good sign!
    I'd just try and keep them warm when you can, keep them well moisturised with the likes of Neutrogena hand cream stuff and if they do split, salvon/paper stitch & plaster and try and keep it dry if possible until it heals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

star-pants wrote: »
    Ah well if they heal quick enough that's definitely a good sign!
    I'd just try and keep them warm when you can, keep them well moisturised with the likes of Neutrogena hand cream stuff and if they do split, salvon/paper stitch & plaster and try and keep it dry if possible until it heals.

Yeah pants this is just something I will probably have to live with albeit with more care, someone also recommended E45 but as you mention they are a few options I still need to try and I will and make sure I get the intake of water on a daily basis.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, I found that with some soaps my hands dried out excessively - you might consider changing your soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

If your hands dry out really quickly and you keep getting cuts, prior before going to bed,put a thick layer of handcream on your hands and put a pair of plastic gloves on. Your hands will be like new the next morning!

Advertisement