Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victim or not

Options
  • 16-11-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I
    A little background, I have been working in a company coming up to 4 years, I have never got a warning or even threatened with one.
    I do not mess around and I am in on time everyday. I do my work to the best of my ability which is more than required.
    I and my boss do not see eye to eye and he has never praised me once, this is not unusual in my department for everyone. He tries to play everyone off each other by bad mouthing about different people but most of us see threw this tactic. He tries to be manipulative and is very sneaky.
    I am the only one in my department that has a degree and my boss is jealous and is always putting me down and tries his best to undermine me at every opportunity.
    Basically I am in a dead end job.
    He says to me in a round about way that he doesn’t think I can do the job, nit picking at everything I do, but is being totally hypocritical as he gives me extra work to do.
    Now as the recession has come in he is pushing more and more work onto most people in my department. I do understand these days you have to ‘put your shoulder to the wheel’ as the man says.
    Now I have been given responsibility over the weekend. I am getting calls all weekend. For example last Saturday I was on the phone all day Saturday and the last call I got was 0300hrs Sunday morning and then more calls on Sunday. I am expected to be on call 24/7 with no extra pay.

I know it is a recession but do workers still have writes? I am trapped in a job that I hate and need advice?

I would appreciate any reply?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's hard to comment without knowing the sector, some require out of hours more than others, whether fair or not.

You have 2 ways to play this, get as much as you can while applying for other jobs or be nice as pie and try use the situation to your advantage.

If you bide your time, get as much proof of doing the extra work as you can so you can fall back on it as experience and network with the companies clients so you'll here of future positions in your sector.

If you want to stay, Thank him (no serious) for the extra work and tell him what direction you would like any extra work to be in, as you have ambitions to branch into that area.

Discuss training someone junior into your position so you can be considered for more extra work in your chosen new area.

This will either drive him mad or get things out in the open.

I take it there is a lack of communication in the company, if there is any sort of meetings, make sure your dept is recognized for doing the extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PB27

Thanks for the reply and I have noted your points

The sector is freight forwarding, which I know there are more out of hour phone calls than most other sectors, but I do expect pay for been on call all weekend. Or is this unrealistic of me?

It is hard to record phone calls when they come both on my personal mobile as well as my work one, any suggestions?

I will start documenting everything from this day forward and see where it gets me.

But as I said it is a dead end job, no hope for progressing or branching into another part of the organisation, I am not the only one in this situation in my department, it is a very hard position to be in.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the short-term, change your personal mobile, and only give your number to friends.

Longer term, why aren't you job-hunting already?

Advertisement