Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student died after heavy drinking session

Options
  • 04-11-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy stuff:eek:. I wonder will anyone else take heed of binge drinking like this?.:confused:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1104/murphyg.html
    rte wrote:
    An inquest in Cork has been told how a 19-year-old student died after he drank what was described as a lethal amount of alcohol.

The coroner's court was told that paramedics could not resuscitate Gary Murphy from Palm Drive, Grantstown Village, Waterford, when they were called to his apartment by friends with whom he had been drinking.

He died ten days later at Cork University Hospital.

Mr Murphy, a second-year Arts student at University College Cork, was a keen hurler, and was a member of the Ballygunner U-21 team that won the Waterford Championship on 5 December last year.

The following night they returned to Cork to celebrate their win, and a number of them gathered in Mr Murphy's apartment at Victoria Mills, Victoria Cross, in Cork.

Mr Murphy was drinking cans of beer. He and his friends started a drinking game which involved pulling a card from a deck of playing cards and drinking different amounts of alcohol, depending on the card picked.

The inquest at Cork City Coroner's Court was told that Mr Murphy had more than ten cans of beer before he started drinking vodka neat from a one-litre bottle.

Some of his friends put down money and dared him to drink about a quarter of a litre of the alcohol straight.

He drank around half a litre of vodka in total, in addition to the beer he had drunk earlier.

He became drunk, and fell on a coffee table in the apartment and on the concrete floor of the balcony outside.

He was asleep on a couch when some of his friends removed his clothes.

He was put into an elevator naked and sent up a number of floors before the elevator returned. He was then put to bed. Two more friends then shaved off one of his eyebrows.

Minutes later one of his friends noticed that Mr Murphy's lips had turned blue.

He was placed in the recovery position and an ambulance was called. He was removed to Cork University Hospital but slipped into a coma.

He died ten days later of bronchial pneumonia. The jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane described Mr Murphy's death as an unbearable loss. She said the facts of the case were a testament to the risks associated with high alcohol intake.

Speaking at the inquest, Mr Murphy's father Liam said his son's death had devastated their family.

He said Gary loved life, he loved hurling, student life and UCC. He said he missed him terribly but also had great memories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Wonder will alcohol be banned like legal highs now? :rolleyes:

Shocking stuff all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Im not saying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Jesus Christ RTÉ I'm sure the family aren't exactly okay with all those details being made public...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Lightweight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Very sad to hear.
    Has definitely put me off drinking games especially with that amount of vodka involved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

orourkeda wrote: »
    Lightweight

ooooo too soon i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What did he think was going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

That story is so hard to read. His poor family.

I remember, when i was in college, being part of a society. We used to get money from the students union but only for drinking events. One time i organised a trip to the National Gallery with a bunch from the society and remember being refused point blank when i asked for funding for the trip because there would be no alcohol involved!:eek:

Sadly, college life, especially in the first few years, revolves around gettin p*ssed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus Christ RTÉ I'm sure the family aren't exactly okay with all those details being made public...

Common knowledge tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Probably that he would get drunk and have a good time and do some stupid things and wake up in the morning with an awful hangover. Not die.

Anyway, I think it was unprofessional of RTE to broadcast the precise sequence of events that took place after he passed out. Nobody needed to know that he was put naked in an elevator or had his eyebrow shaved off. It's just more unnecessary pain and humiliation for the family.

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Don't see what makes this newsworthy.

Have had some mates who choked on their own vomit and died and it never made the news.

Happens regularly enough I would have thought.
    Happens, but when do we ever really hear the details?
    If this prevents one student from binging in the same way, then i think it is very newsworthy.

rebel10 wrote: »
    Sadly, college life, especially in the first few years, revolves around gettin p*ssed.

but most courses are only 3 years long :confused:

Saila wrote: »
    but most courses are only 3 years long :confused:
    No many are four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I doubt he thought he was going to die.

No many are four years.

no but many are 3 years, see what I did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Imagine how his friends feel

The vast majority of courses are 4 years or more.

Now shush.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I reckon and hope they've advocated the details are reported.
    It sounds like many a crazy night on the rip many of us have had or seen, but never really think of the consequences. Maybe his death being reported will make someone think twice from doing such a dare or peer pressuring someone to do such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Lightweight

Now I know this is AH and you wanna look cool in front of all your mates but that's completely uncalled for. A kid just died, don't be such a dick.

I wonder if they'll consider banning alcohol now seeing as they banned mushrooms a couple of days after one guy decided to jump off a roof a few years ago. I don't think there had been any mushroom related fatalities recorded in this country up until that point. I heard the man in the following article was actually completely pissed and only took a small amount of mushrooms.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article722171.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

M5 wrote: »
    Wonder will alcohol be banned like legal highs now? :rolleyes:

Shocking stuff all the same

We should ban all headshops that sell alcohol.

• Advertisement

Now I know this is AH and you wanna look cool in front of all your mates but that's completely uncalled for. A kid just died, don't be such a dick.

I wonder if they'll consider banning alcohol now seeing as they banned mushrooms a couple of days after one guy decided to jump off a roof a few years ago. I don't think there had been any mushroom related fatalities recorded in this country up until that point.

Just for the record, this didn't happen recently - it was a year or more ago iirc.

I.T.'s have 3 year courses
    Universities, most are 4 years.
    This is off the point and kind of pointless really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

10 cans and a litre of vodka? arent these students supposed to be broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I wonder if they'll consider banning alcohol now seeing as they banned mushrooms a couple of days after one guy decided to jump off a roof a few years ago. I don't think there had been any mushroom related fatalities recorded in this country up until that point. I heard the man in the following article was actually completely pissed and only took a small amount of mushrooms.

When you think you can fly,you usually try to take off from the ground first not off a balcony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If this prevents one student from binging in the same way, then i think it is very newsworthy.

I think and hope it might stop some fcuking idiots from striping their mate and leaving him open to getting pneumonia, but I doubt it will stop binge drinking, as young people see what is happening around them and act accordingly.

When they see young Joe Bloggs knocking back half a dozen JD's and a few pints and yet still out and about the next night, then they too will do the same as they will see that there is apparently no consequence.

Same works for drugs unfortunately.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just for the record, this didn't happen recently - it was a year or more ago iirc.
    No, but the inquest was held today and many that knew him would probably not have known the full details surrounding his death.
    Just because this happened a year ago does not make it ok to joke about. He was only 19 FFS!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

keane2097 wrote: »
    after one guy decided to jump off a roof a few years ago.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Let's face it. We've all (or most of us) done this crap. Drinking till we drop literally into blackout mode. Drinking enough beer to float a battleship and then thinking it would be a great idea to suck down something even stronger like whiskey, or vodka or fcuking turps (almost). The human body can take a tremendous battering but sadly there are so many young bodies that go into shutdown mode.
    I don't know what the solution is. Maybe people could take a medical test when they're teenagers to see if they are more prone to alcohol poisoning than others? Maybe some people might have a congenital kidney or liver weakness that they don't know about and that a few blood tests would reveal so that they could be less reckless with booze.

But I think what's most important of all is that young people are taught early how to drink and how to gauge the rate at which they're getting drunk. If they can have a few beers with the family once in a while to practice knowing when and how soon intoxication starts to kick in then they wouldn't be so eager to neck a half-litre of vodka because they're not getting "buzzed" immediately.
    My first time getting drunk I drank a pint mixture of vodka, gin, poteen and ETHANOL that my friend kept his dead scorpions in. Because the first few mouthfuls of this revolting Molotov cocktail didn't get me drunk immediately, I drank more of it. Within 45 minutes to an hour I was oblivious. Eventually picked up by the gardai and brought to a neighbour's house where they induced vomiting and then put me to bed and kept watch over me. I was 14. That was a shameful episode. I've seen it in Amsterdam too. People come and have a space-cake. Nothing happens for 40 minutes so they do another one. 10 minutes later they are like something out of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Just taking a little bit and waiting patiently would spare them having an experience that resembles a horror movie.

In Holland you are allowed into a pub at 16 to drink but are only allowed beer. No hard stuff until you are 18. consequently Dutch teenagers (who like to get drunk) don't hide in a field quaffing a Litre bottle of Smirnoff Blue. They learn what their beer limit is in a controlled environment.

Getting pissed is great fun especially when you're young. But getting palatic on paint-stripper spirits like gin and vodka is downright dangerous and young people should be educated that these drinks are not EVER supposed to be guzzled like beer. They should be mixed and sipped slowly.

Condolensces to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I wonder if they'll consider banning alcohol now seeing as they banned mushrooms a couple of days after one guy decided to jump off a roof a few years ago....

Did he take the equivalent of half a litre of vodka and 5 litres of beer worth of mushrooms? Just as this thread should not be about taking the piss out of the young lad involved it shouldn't be about trying to score some stupid f*cking points about alcohol v mushrooms v headshops or anything of the sort. Heed your own advice.

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I think and hope it might stop some fcuking idiots from striping their mate and leaving him open to getting pneumonia, but I doubt it will stop binge drinking, as young people see what is happening around them and act accordingly.

When they see young Joe Bloggs knocking back half a dozen JD's and a few pints and yet still out and about the next night, then they too will do the same as they will see that there is apparently no consequence.

Same works for drugs unfortunately.
    I disagree. Think of all the students out there that would consider what he drank as being managable.:eek: Think of the idiots on here thinking the same. If this makes just one student, which it certainly will in UCC anyway, think about the amount they have drunk and limit it, then the media has done ok here i think.

Advertisement