Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilean Miners thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

murpho999 wrote: »
    So only 'wealthy' countries can be proud of their country and achievements?

Did you know that Chile is the wealthiest country per capita in South America?

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile

I knew that. I meant relative in relation to Europe. There are large areas of poverty in Chile and indeed, most if not all of these miners, are poor.

The incessant flag waving and national anthems. I'm not sure what that has to do with this operation. It's getting a bit unsettling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

baldbear wrote: »
    Jesus Sky and the BBC don't have an interpreteur and RTE do.

Yeah they do, but it's on the feed provided by Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Viva Chile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Echospace wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if they all died in a bus crash on the way home.

Sounds like a great plot for the next Final Destination movie...

Ya, they were all so dignified and respectful to el presidento and what I presume were other senior figures at the mine. That Mario guy(2nd miner out) gave an interview though today criticising the country's leadership and basically the poverty of some of the population...

This is totally correct. Let's see how loyal the president is to these miners in the months ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

After the last few years of: recession, earthquakes, recession, terrorism, corrupt politicians, wars, NAMA :mad: etc. the last few days has been a fantastic news story.....well done Chile and all involved. You're an inspiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Legend, he walks in.

Feel good story of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

baldbear wrote: »
    Jesus Sky and the BBC don't have an interpreteur and RTE do.

It's live on RTE?!:eek: I always thought RTE shut down at 10pm and just popped a statue of the Virgin Mary of ballinspittle up on the screen during the night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think the USA deserve a lot of credit in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I know the President is being accused of milking this but I think he deserves some kudos.

He took charge of the mission to rescue them when the mining company couldn't do it and made it a no 1 priority regardless of cost.

He visited the site many times and helped get the country's population behind them and keep the miners' morale up.

He has been there for lots of the miner's exits and has camped on site for last 2 days.

He appears to me to be a nice warm man who seems genuinely moved by the occasion. Couldn't imagine Cowen or Cameron hugging people like that.
    Yes, he will get political advantage out of this, that goes with the territory but he has certainly completed the task and this has generated huge positive world publicity for Chile and will only be good for the country and its people.

Thrilled all 33 are out safe and sound and well done Chile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Hey don't forget the Irish company that provided the all important drill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Einhard wrote: »
    It's live on RTE?!:eek: I always thought RTE shut down at 10pm and just popped a statue of the Virgin Mary of ballinspittle up on the screen during the night!!

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Don Lucho laughs in the face of a stretcher and walks in like a true pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

An Irish politician would likely merely have just put in an appearance for a photo opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doneg Al

I hate how mainstream and famous the miners have become.

I liked it when they were a bit more underground. * *

I knew that. I meant relative in relation to Europe. There are large areas of poverty in Chile and indeed, most if not all of these miners, are poor.

The incessant flag waving and national anthems. I'm not sure what that has to do with this operation. It's getting a bit unsettling.

Poverty has declined rapidly there since 1990 and unemployment percentages are way below Irelands.

Have you ever been to Finglas, Ballymun, or Moyross (No disrespect to those areas)....poverty there too.

Have you never seen beggars on streets of Dublin?

The flag waving is because the whole country has got behind the miners and it has become a national issue of pride. Let them have their moment.

You don't have to be rich to love your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the last few lads are stalking the place looking for stuff that they can flog on e-bay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Einhard wrote: »

They have lost there Irish accents though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Fair enough, NASA had a lot of input with their survival regime and the likes. Don't forget the Irish drill though lol! Really though, it's the human side to this story that is so captivating... the endurance and solidarity shown from a lot of parties obviously including the miners, but the dedication and efficiency with which the Chilean govt. organised and financed(?) the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

There's some really good coverage of this on channel 955. I think it's a Brasilian channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Hey don't forget the Irish company that provided the all important drill ;)

Mincon in Shannon :D

Poverty has declined rapidly there since 1990 and unemployment percentages are way below Irelands.

Have you ever been to Finglas, Ballymun, or Moyross (No disrespect to those areas)....poverty there too.

Have you never seen beggars on streets of Dublin?

The flag waving is because the whole country has got behind the miners and it has become a national issue of pride. Let them have their moment.

You don't have to be reach to love your country.

I don't know what this has to do with Finglas or Ballymun.

But if I was one of those miners or a family waiting, I would not care about national anthems or waving any flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's some really good coverage of this on channel 955. I think it's a Brasilian channel.

Everyone knows the 900's are adult channels :P.

I don't know what this has to do with Finglas or Ballymun.

But if I was one of those miners or a family waiting, I would not care about national anthems or waving any flags.

Finglas & Ballymun was to point out areas in Ireland which has poverty and I'm sure you'll find proud but poor Irish people there.

As for the flag waving and national anthems.....just let them celebrate how they want to.....it's their party and they are obviously very patriotic.

Do you expect the miners to come out after 69 days, hop out of the cage and burn the flag out of political protest?

Finglas & Ballymun was to point out areas in Ireland which has poverty and I'm sure you'll find proud but poor Irish people there.

As for the flag waving and national anthems.....just let them celebrate how they want to.....it's their party and they are obviously very patriotic.

Do you expect the miners to come out after 69 days, hop out of the cage and burn the flag out of political protest?

I don't see the relevance of Ireland in this one. Ah yeah, of course they can celebrate and they deserve to. I'm not saying that.

Anyway, let's see who compares the Chilean President and his courageous leadership and our leader, Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the 900's are adult channels :P.

Insert joke about "Deep Chilean Hardcore Drilling Action" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Agreed.

From the pictures shown on tv while they were singing their national anthem, it looked as though they all knew their national anthem. When was the last time anybody on here was at an event where the national anthem was played, and everybody sang/knew the words?

a lot of people are proud to come from whatever countries and will always sing their national anthem with great gusto. going by the threads that are often here, a shyteload of people either are ashamed, or couldn't be bothered about national pride, and that extends to the national anthem. i find it sad, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

a lot of people are proud to come from whatever countries and will always sing their national anthem with great gusto. going by the threads that are often here, a shyteload of people either are ashamed, or couldn't be bothered about national pride, and that extends to the national anthem. i find it sad, but each to their own.

Somehow I think most people who know they're going to be on TV singing it would learn the lyrics. Except footballers. :pac:

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Somehow I think most people who know they're going to be on TV singing it would learn the lyrics. Except footballers. :pac:

if kevin kilbane can learn the irish anthem, then anyone can! :pac:

Advertisement