Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilean Miners thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's rare to see something on Sky News getting non-stop coverage that isn't a terrorist attack/a death/an assassination. Great to see a news story with a happy ending for a change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Jaysus let the man sit down at least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

lol the president made a balls of it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

df1985 wrote: »
    the last guy giving some sort of pre rehearsed speech to the president?? who happens to have the perfect response ready.....

Its a great news story but theyre milking it now.

Ah yea, sure it's everyday they complete the rescue of 33 miners originally feared dead 623 metres under the ground.

Last guy was the supervisor and I think the president should have had him arrested for having them down there.

In case you're not sure....I found your post really stupid....they're not milking it....they're celebrating a FANTASTIC achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Posy wrote: »
    It's rare to see something on Sky News getting non-stop coverage that isn't a terrorist attack/a death/an assassination. Great to see a news story with a happy ending for a change. :)

They have covered it exceptionally well imo

• Advertisement

Eh, hope they don't forget to go back for the rescuers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Now lads lets get back to the recession.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

has the last guy no family there?!! haven't seen him hug anyone other than the president and the engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

33 of 33 saved. Thanks Sky News.

:/

They're such proud people...what an emotional rendition of their national anthem!

Hopefully they can all hang on til the rescue dudes get out now! I'd say it took some balls for them to go down there like!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Watching this makes me want to be Chilean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I believe the drill used to drill, came from an Irish company :)

Warrants a national day of celebration in my opinion... any excuse and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Chileans are certainly patriotic, all this flag waving and national anthems. It's still a relatively poor country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The biggest milker, apart from the Chilean President, was the Bolivian President. He spent several hours there earlier pottering around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

df1985 wrote: »
    the last guy giving some sort of pre rehearsed speech to the president?? who happens to have the perfect response ready.....

Well he hasn't much else to do in his spare time in the last couple of months..

Fair play to them- a country where people actually seem to know the national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

trust rte to go blink as the last lad goes up..

typical.

living in Ireland now is pretty much the same as being stuck 1 mile down a mine shaft, but without godies shipped down to you......

Any chance you could give the old Ireland bashing a rest & just celebrate the moment?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

Wouldn't it be funny if they all died in a bus crash on the way home.

Should this lad not be on a stretcher and on his way to the hospital?

Echospace wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if they all died in a bus crash on the way home.
    I shouldn't laugh, but... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Considering how much our own leaders are loathed by most of the population, it's pretty amazing to see the Chilean president, the mining minister, and even the president's wife greeted with such genuine warmth by all the miners. It's a pity our leaders don't inspire that kind of feeling in the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Chileans are certainly patriotic, all this flag waving and national anthems. It's still a relatively poor country.

So only 'wealthy' countries can be proud of their country and achievements?

Did you know that Chile is the wealthiest country per capita in South America?

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

has the last guy no family there?!! haven't seen him hug anyone other than the president and the engineers

Looked like he had a son there but being the supervisor he is more important for a good bit of tv coverage than hugging his kid.

He is comparing it to an Indiana Jones film now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Don Lucho is the man! The sing song(anthem) at the end topped it off, g'wan Chile!

murpho999 wrote: »
    The feed is available on Sky, BBC & CNN websites.....and loads more!

True which is why I think people are little bit too quick sometimes to knock them, I have followed several big events now that have broken during the night that have been covered by them,that we have not covered until the morning.

Jesus Sky and the BBC don't have an interpreteur and RTE do.

Jeez, let the poor man leave and go to the hospital now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

Speaking of Bolivian presidents -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amq_nsPQj-s

baldbear wrote: »

Its not RTE coverage. Just to point out. Not that it matters :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

baldbear wrote: »

Euronews, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Einhard wrote: »
    Considering how much our own leaders are loathed by most of the population, it's pretty amazing to see the Chilean president, the mining minister, and even the president's wife greeted with such genuine warmth by all the miners. It's a pity our leaders don't inspire that kind of feeling in the population.

Ya, they were all so dignified and respectful to el presidento and what I presume were other senior figures at the mine. That Mario guy(2nd miner out) gave an interview though today criticising the country's leadership and basically the poverty of some of the population...

Advertisement