Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age and wisdom

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

What important things have you learned as you grow older. I learned that you cant please everyone so you might as well please yourself. You cant be friends with everyone and sometimes having enemies is fun. I also learned that you cant really plan your life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

you've only got one life, don't waste it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i'm sixteen but i'd consider myself well learned for my age in comparison to others. one thing i've learned over time from the internet is that the coolest people online are those who can have a RAGING ARGUMENT with you on a forum and still will talk to you like an old friend on an instant messing client at the SAME TIME.

don't feel like going into real life anecdotes - it'd take too much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I used to trust everyone, as I've grown up; I realise it's now best to assume everyone's a cunt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

What important things have you learning as you grow older. I learned that you cant please everyone so you might as well please yourself. You cant be friends with everyone and sometimes having enemies is fun. I also learned that you cant really plan your life.

I learned that in general terms it's best to move on and NOT OBSESS ABOUT WHY THAT BITCH LEFT ME.

Also, using caps lock can occasionally be used for comic effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

What important things have you learning as you grow older.

Plumbing tip: lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everyone you know will let you down at some stage so never expect too much of anybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That overdrafts are a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Drinking <25 years old= happy days :)
    Drinking >25 years old = beer belly & never ending hangovers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I've learned that letting go of anger and resentment will make you feel better than hating someone. I've learned to never wait for someone to get their cumuppance, they'll get it in ways you'll probably never see. I've learned that if you give EVERYONE a chance you'll end up with a hell of alot of friends. Oh and doing nice things for others will pay you back in ways you never imagined.

Oh and coachroaches are sneaky ****ers and you should never turn your back to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

You will always have to work with a selfish pr!ck at some stage.

If you're trying to avoid someone then it's a certainty that you will trip up & fall down in front of them.

The guy you have had you're eye on for ages will most likely make a move on you the night before you're due some waxing maintenance & you probably have some nicely discoloured knickers on for added affect.

If you continue to drink Mickey Finns then you will puke up green stuff.

And never, ever eat yellow snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

kfallon wrote: »
    Everyone you know will let you down at some stage so never expect too much of anybody!
    Yep thats another hard lesson we all have to learn at some stage. Humans are far from perfect, even close friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Never ever say that you won't take a certain course of action. Life has a habit of throwing you right into that scenario and inevitably you (I) take the action you swore you never would.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Ive learnt in my 26 years the no-one is perfect no matter how "better" their life may seem everyone has problems. To try to be grateful for the things you have and the grass if definately not greener on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Some people are psychopaths (or sociopaths for the PC brigade). You are not misunderstanding them, they are evil, and will do anything to improve their lot.

Beware people with charm / gift of the gab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I once ate yellow snow.

Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Life experience has taught me that love will come and go but family is forever.

Also if you want something done right,do it yourself.

Learning from one's mistakes is wisdom.The longer you live the more mistakes you will have to learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

25, learned a few things, mainly that no matter how you try and how much effort you put into something wether it be work, relationships, friendship or anything really, you cant rely on another idiot to screw it up for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Contrary to your misguided youthful perceptions, your ears are actually far from stony soil for hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mashyling

As I got older I realised that to be okay you dont have to please everyone. Do your best for you and who counts. After that anyone that ever put you down for no reason can be bitter and hurtful if they want to be. Its their choice to waste time doing it! Whoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I've learnt that life takes you on many unexpected journeys but if you can stay optimistic then it will take you somewhere better than before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I've learned that people will say they believe in equality/freedom of speech/miniature American flags for all etc but it all goes out the window when money/job promotion/one's own standing in society is at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

Don't expect & you won't be disappointed...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

What important things have you learned as you grow older. I learned that you cant please everyone so you might as well please yourself. You cant be friends with everyone and sometimes having enemies is fun. I also learned that you cant really plan your life.

I've learned that age and wisdom aren't necessarily linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

as often as possible sit by yourself and look at something simple and beautiful like the setting sun and remind yourself how lucky you are to be alive, free and not starving and contemplate what you have in life, not what you dont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't automatically assume because you feel about something a certain way, that others will feel the same.
    Life is precious. Every day is precious.
    There are a lot of nutters out there and you're one of them.
    Self centeredness is the default position of most and requires thought and consideration to overcome it.
    Nothing is written in stone, but your grave marker.
    We all fcuk up so as you ask forgiveness of yourself, do the same for others. Many claim they do, few actually do.
    No matter how badly you feel at the moment there are people out there with seconds to live who would give anything to feel like you do if it meant five more minutes of life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mountains of stuff - most of it based along the lines of "Don't be hard on yourself if you cock up - you're all right".

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Don't give up. What seems unbearable now will be bearable in the future. Distance may never heal a wound fully but if you let time stitch it, the threads will hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Age and Wisdom, see Biggins and you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

brummytom wrote: »
    I used to trust everyone, as I've grown up; I realise it's now best to assume everyone's a cunt
    Definitely don't agree with that - most people are all right. Small example here: look at that thread recently about the Anglo Irish Bank guy who committed suicide - the vast, vast majority of posters were sympathetic and understanding of his plight. The callous/attention-seeking peeps were very much in a minority, and even some of those who made questionable comments in relation to suicide were well-meaning, if misguided...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Dudess wrote: »
    Definitely don't agree with that - most people are all right. Small example here: look at that thread recently about the Anglo Irish Bank guy who committed suicide - the vast, vast majority of posters were sympathetic and understanding of his plight. The callous/attention-seeking peeps were very much in a minority, and even some of those who made questionable comments in relation to suicide were well-meaning, if misguided...

That is true. You can't assume everyone's a c***, or you'll turn into a mistrustful, cynical, and bitter person, and will never give anyone the opportunity to bring you back from that mean-spirited and depressing place.

Advertisement