Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Lol, blame the liver damage on painkillers and not excessive drinking, that's a good one.

facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

The reason this is happening, is because so many stay at home mothers were getting addicted to the bloody things. They were taking them for headaches that were being caused by the withdrawals of the codeine.

My dentist gave me tylex to deal with an abscess i had one time. 500mg paracetamol/30mg of codeine, per tablet. Take two, three times daily.

Those were mental! Thankfully, i only had to take 6 of them over the space of two days before the antibiotics kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

If you were a junkie you would've tried to rob the place with a spoon and woken up in the gutter 3 days later...

with a bottle of calpol stuck it your face...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so is it a case that they just give you a lecture and you can still get them or do you have to get Solpediene and Nuerofen+ on prescription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Skerries wrote: »
    so is it a case that they just give you a lecture and you can still get them or do you have to get Solpediene and Nuerofen+ on prescription?

You don't need a prescription. They just ask you some questions & hassle you for a bit before selling them to you. It's the great Irish way of dealing with things - enforcing daftness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The reason this is happening, is because so many stay at home mothers were getting addicted to the bloody things. They were taking them for headaches that were being caused by the withdrawals of the codeine.

My dentist gave me tylex to deal with an abscess i had one time. 500mg paracetamol/30mg of codeine, per tablet. Take two, three times daily.

Those were mental! Thankfully, i only had to take 6 of them over the space of two days before the antibiotics kicked in.

I can't understand anyone getting relief from over the counter drugs, they just don't work on me.

I got tablets a few years ago. Now they blew the head off me, had shakes, dry mouth, paranoid, got really aggressive & depressed. I think they were called Zydol or Zylex or something. Crazy shyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Pfft, amoxicillin will do nothing for your pain. Don't make the trade cournioni!

I too love ponstan and its pain relieving goodness. Doctor gave me a script for 100 of them a few months ago. mmmm, ponstan.

Shhh don't go skunking the deal...

No man Amoxillin is the best and I know this guy who knows a guy would had an infection so the doc hooked up with some primo Amoxillin. You'll be like:

Scouts honour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Brendog wrote: »
    If you were a junkie you would've tried to rob the place with a spoon and woken up in the gutter 3 days later...

with a bottle of calpol stuck it your face...

The purple calpol, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

With the amount of people lashing pain killers in to them in this thread i am not surprised they are clamping down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

policeman wrote: »
    Ok, I stand corrected, but it wasn't without a little shove from Mary Harney me thinks. Fookin' hilarious.:D

I doubt it was. Look at her ..... I'd bet there's a packet of Solf or N+ in her handbag! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dory wrote: »
    Do we need a prescription for N+ now?

No and you never did to be factual. However, the directive issued has let it up to the individual pharmacist as to whether HE/SHE thinks a customer should get a prescription.

At least in the early day of adoption, most pharmacists, took the view that a prescription was needed and were thus demanding one ~ this took off like a wildfire that one needed a prescription.

All that happens now is you are surrounded by private armed security, handcuffed, sat in an interrogation chair, have a bright light shown in your eyes and you're asked questions as to why you're looking for this medication, how long have you been on it and what you are going to do with it!

Oh, erm, actually it's not as bad as that, I get carried away sometimes ... but the point is you do not need a prescription, but any individual pharmacy may decide on a case by case basis. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Went up to Newry and got myself 36 solphaine for 6 quid.

Mark 1 Nanny State 0.

I not sure how you managed this.

I was up there today on a mission for the OH and all Solphadeine was not on the display shelf in any pharmacy/pound shops/Sainsbury. However Nurofen was displayed in your face everywhere.

Are you sure you didnt get Solpadeine instead?(note the missing H). Apologies if you did manage to convince the pharmacists to sell you a 36 pack of real Solpahadeine and if you did what was your story to convince them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I don't take painkillers unless its absolutely necessary.

Hell even after surgery on my collar bone I was off the painkillers after 2 days, man up and deal with it I say. A bit of pain won't do any harm, lets you know you're still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can you buy Solphadine in Northern Ireland without the questioning?

I've no idea.
    Just wondering if you live in a border county and do up shopping in NI then it's an option for many if you don't fancy being questioned and explaining yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

JayEnnis wrote: »
    I don't take painkillers unless its absolutely necessary.

Hell even after surgery on my collar bone I was off the painkillers after 2 days, man up and deal with it I say. A bit of pain won't do any harm, lets you know you're still alive.

Big time. I don't take any type of medication unless I am really sick or in absolute agony.

After my two dislocated shoulder I stopped taking pain killers after two days. Man up. Drugs are bad. Drugs are only required in extreme circumstances, not for minor inconveniences.

Personally you would have to lay serious blame on the pharmaceutical industry for this, shoving painkillers down peoples throats with their ads and their door to door salesmen GPs and their drug superstores Pharmacists.

How many housewives out there turn their noses up at junkie with out realising that those headache tablets she takes like clockwork have turned into the same thing, an addict. Ok it does not have the same negative social consequences as heroin but it a poisenous addictive drug nonetheless. You only have to lok at the states where anyone worth their salt has been at one stage addicted to painkillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

if you squash the solphadine down and mix it with some yokes you get a nice codine buzz too

dont do drugs, you might like them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

gurramok wrote: »
    I not sure how you managed this.

I was up there today on a mission for the OH and all Solphadeine was not on the display shelf in any pharmacy/pound shops/Sainsbury. However Nurofen was displayed in your face everywhere.

Are you sure you didnt get Solpadeine instead?(note the missing H). Apologies if you did manage to convince the pharmacists to sell you a 36 pack of real Solpahadeine and if you did what was your story to convince them? :)

LOL. This is another example of what the ignorance of this whole situation is like.

To think there's a difference between Solpadeine and something similiar with a missing "H". There is only one product and it is Solpadeine, something mispronounced as "SolFadeine" by people who don't know how to pronounce it is what you allude to with the missing "H". WTF!!

You clearly have no idea of what any of these meds are, or the regulations involved in both North and South but please continue to give some words of wisdom because they are highly comical and continue your fruitless trips for your OH up north.

Just so you know. Both Solpadeine (with a silent H :D) and Nurofen Plus are readily available OTC in every pharmacy in the republic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,076 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ebixa82 wrote: »
    No it won't. No prescription is valid for any longer than 6 months from the date it was written. Also drugs like Oxycontin cannot be repeated and are never given back to patient once filled.
    I meant the tablets, not the prescription. He had half the bottle laying in his desk drawer for years until needed yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ebixa82 wrote: »
    LOL. This is another example of what the ignorance of this whole situation is like.

To think there's a difference between Solpadeine and something similiar with a missing "H". There is only one product and it is Solpadeine, something mispronounced as "SolFadeine" by people who don't know how to pronounce it is what you allude to with the missing "H". WTF!!

You clearly have no idea of what any of these meds are, or the regulations involved in both North and South but please continue to give some words of wisdom because they are highly comical and continue your fruitless trips for your OH up north.

Just so you know. Both Solpadeine (with a silent H :D) and Nurofen Plus are readily available OTC in every pharmacy in the republic!!

Thank you for the informative post.

Why was the red Solvo(Solphadeine) packet off the shelve up north though?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep. Can buy them online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With the amount of people lashing pain killers in to them in this thread i am not surprised they are clamping down!

Yeh, it won't hurt will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Pfft, amoxicillin will do nothing for your pain. Don't make the trade cournioni!

I too love ponstan and its pain relieving goodness. Doctor gave me a script for 100 of them a few months ago. mmmm, ponstan.

I see your Ponstan and raise you Tylex, now that's a good painkiller...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

gurramok wrote: »
    Thank you for the informative post.

Why was the red Solvo(Solphadeine) packet off the shelve up north though?

No idea. These people who travel up north always make my laugh. There is no drug stronger than "Solpadeine" in either country OTC. North and South, the max you will ever get OTC is paracetamol and a bit of codeine. But then you have all these drug tourists/addicts etc. travelling up north thinking they are getting one up on the pharmacies in the republic...

I could not be arsed explaining what the difference between Paracetamol/Solpadeine/Nurofen/Nurofen Plus is North and South is but if people just take the time to read this thread then they will be enlightened...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I took Solphadine for two weeks after having a very hard time getting into see my dentist. When I called the 24 weekend hotline, thjey called me back and said to take double the dosage.

Quit taking them after I had the procedure done, and was kicking the sheets for a few days.

Solphadine was a wicked mistress !!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

star-pants wrote: »
    Take 2 every 4 hours, not exceeding 8 in any 24 hours aye?
    24 (tabs) / 8 = 3 days worth.

And you thought she'd given you too many?
    ha ha ha OWNED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes. I would also recommend Boots own brand paracetamol/codeine mix at £1.99 for 32 tablets.

You can thank me later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Sparks43 wrote: »

wtf i barely take any medication and when i do its when absolutely necessary and im made to feel like a junkie :o

one thing though as i took the bag i said to her "so i can only take these for three days" she said "thats right " and i replied "why on earth have you given me a pack of 24 then" she had no answer for that lol

Very sad you feel like a junkie when someone gives you simple advice. Not telling us something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

People have to understand pharmacists and technicians have studied this stuff for several years, they know what they're talking about. The amount of side effects, possible interactions with other medicines and contraindictions (i.e maybe can't be used in asthmatics, etc.) is endless, though of course this applies to all medicines but painkillers in particular need to be more closely monitored. It has become far too common practice for some people to take painkillers for the smallest twinge of pain. It is necessary to have restrictions on painkillers, they have destroyed lives and always have that potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I see your Ponstan and raise you Tylex, now that's a good painkiller...

I was just about to post about tylex. That definitley is a good pain killer. Must get some more! A lot better than ponstan!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just be grateful your not a girl, feminax (menstrual cramps reliever) is now one of those drugs. I mean if you get bad cramps every month, you are a junkie for 12 weeks of the year!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement