Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gonna bottle it...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hiya Dolliemix! I’ve entered the final race in the Runways Duathlon Series, it’s on Wednesday next the 4th August in the Phoenix Park - http://www.dublintri.com/duathlon.html - it seems pretty daunting but sure I’ve decided to give it a go for the craic. As I’ve said I won’t be winning anything except for the personal victory. If you’ve been doing a bit of cycling and running then why don’t you sign up for it? It seems beginner friendly and I’d say you’re no worse off than me – I’ve literally been cycling a month and before that I don’t think I’d cycled since I had stabilizers! I got a hybrid bike – basic enough from Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272611_categoryId_212377_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1 . The only reason I bought was because I didn’t have one, certainly not because I wanted a superstar one. It says on the website that people use all kinds of bikes at the start and I’m starting in the last (beginner’s) wave so once I’m not in a speedy person’s way I’ll be happy out on my merry way.

Then I better get organised for the 10 mile and hopefully the half after that. Is it the Adidas Half that you’re going for? Well done on your own progress so far too, you’re really doing great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

claralara wrote: »
    Hiya Dolliemix! I’ve entered the final race in the Runways Duathlon Series, it’s on Wednesday next the 4th August in the Phoenix Park - http://www.dublintri.com/duathlon.html - it seems pretty daunting but sure I’ve decided to give it a go for the craic. As I’ve said I won’t be winning anything except for the personal victory. If you’ve been doing a bit of cycling and running then why don’t you sign up for it? It seems beginner friendly and I’d say you’re no worse off than me – I’ve literally been cycling a month and before that I don’t think I’d cycled since I had stabilizers! I got a hybrid bike – basic enough from Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272611_categoryId_212377_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1 . The only reason I bought was because I didn’t have one, certainly not because I wanted a superstar one. It says on the website that people use all kinds of bikes at the start and I’m starting in the last (beginner’s) wave so once I’m not in a speedy person’s way I’ll be happy out on my merry way.

Then I better get organised for the 10 mile and hopefully the half after that. Is it the Adidas Half that you’re going for? Well done on your own progress so far too, you’re really doing great!

Thanks. It does look manageable. Although since getting back from holiday I haven't quite got back up to 5k running yet. Am I reading it correctly - its 2.7k run, then 13k cycle, then 2.7k run?

Not sure I'll be ready for that by Wednesday but I'll give it some thought! I like the way mountain bikes are allowed. Only thing is I'd have to cycle my bike there and back as well!! So thats more kilometres! lol!

I'm not doing the Addidas Half even though I'd love to be a part of it. My holiday in July meant I took a break for over three weeks so I'm only just getting back into now. I wouldn't be able for 10 miles by September. I'm hoping I can do one at the end of October or November if there's one on. There's a Half Marathon in Waterford in December so thats my ultimate aim.

Cheers for the response!

dolliemix wrote: »
    Thanks. Am I reading it correctly - its 2.7k run, then 13k cycle, then 2.7k run?

This one is slightly different - It's 2.7k Run - 8.5k Cycle - 2.7k Run - 8.5k Cycle - 2.7k Run... eek! It'll be tough but hopefully I'll finish it before it gets (too) dark!

Saturday 31st July :D
    Run [3k / 1.86miles] – Cycle [7.5k / 4.6miles] – Run [3k / 1.86miles] – Cycle [7.5k / 4.6miles] – Run [1.89k / 1.18miles] - (about 85 minutes)
    I decided to shake things up and venture where I’d never ventured before in preparation for Wednesday. It was an interesting experience. I wish my legs could speak because I can’t really explain how I felt. At no point did I think I couldn’t go any further but I was pretty wrecked on and off. The jelly legs off the bike were strange and I thought they’d give up before long but then they warmed up after a couple of minutes. The route was loops around the block at home so I could drop off and pick up the bike and I was getting dizzy from going through the village over and over! The uphill part on the bike was into a headwind every time I went around which was pretty tough but grand once I got back on the flat. And the last short run was hard – at some points I actually couldn’t be sure that my feet were leaving the ground! But I struggled on one step at a time for the last few minutes.
    The whole escapade took just under an hour and a half altogether which included having to trek into the house for bike and helmet and water so given that I got through it in one piece and was still standing last night I was pretty happy. Twas good to do something different anyway!!

This one is slightly different - It's 2.7k Run - 8.5k Cycle - 2.7k Run - 8.5k Cycle - 2.7k Run... eek! It'll be tough but hopefully I'll finish it before it gets (too) dark!

Saturday 31st July :D
    Run [3k / 1.86miles] – Cycle [7.5k / 4.6miles] – Run [3k / 1.86miles] – Cycle [7.5k / 4.6miles] – Run [1.89k / 1.18miles] - (about 85 minutes)
    I decided to shake things up and venture where I’d never ventured before in preparation for Wednesday. It was an interesting experience. I wish my legs could speak because I can’t really explain how I felt. At no point did I think I couldn’t go any further but I was pretty wrecked on and off. The jelly legs off the bike were strange and I thought they’d give up before long but then they warmed up after a couple of minutes. The route was loops around the block at home so I could drop off and pick up the bike and I was getting dizzy from going through the village over and over! The uphill part on the bike was into a headwind every time I went around which was pretty tough but grand once I got back on the flat. And the last short run was hard – at some points I actually couldn’t be sure that my feet were leaving the ground! But I struggled on one step at a time for the last few minutes.
    The whole escapade took just under an hour and a half altogether which included having to trek into the house for bike and helmet and water so given that I got through it in one piece and was still standing last night I was pretty happy. Twas good to do something different anyway!!

Well done. Looks like you're well on target for Wednesday!

Here's hoping!!

Sunday 1st August
    - Run - 7.14 miles / 11.4k – 63mins – I hadn’t planned on doing anything after Saturday before tomorrow but then my friend asked me to join her for a run and the 7 miles just kind of happened. “7 miles just kind of happened”… I never ever ever thought that I would or could say such a thing… Me? The couch potato? Puh-lease!!

Monday 2nd August
    - Did some hardcore training for the couch potato Olympics, I think I may win gold!

Tuesday 3rd August
    - Taking today off again so hopefully the legs will be happy tomorrow. An early night will be the height of the excitement this evening!

• Advertisement

Oh my gosh I am on such a high!
    This evening was TOUGH. Definitely the biggest mental challenge so far and quite possibly the most physically challenging also. Similar buzz to completing the Half Marathon but a different feeling altogether. Does that even make sense?? Well the aim was to complete the race in one piece and all going well to complete it in under an hour and a half. I am going to go mad and guess that I was one of very few, if even, beginners (as in have never even attempted a race comprising two disciplines!). The beginners’ wave did not look as ‘beginner’ as I felt!! I was assured by a fellow ‘beginner’ (YEAH RIGHT!!) at the start that I’d be fine, just to relax and enjoy the race and look forward to the elation at the end so I did just that. I need to mention the breeze but all I will say is ‘sweet god, that wind!!!’.
    The first run was good – nice and strong but the 2nd half into the wind was hard. First cycle was going well until lap 2 when my chain fell off :eek: I have never in my life fixed a fallen chain... I have no idea how I managed it but it was like I got a flash of divine engineering inspiration and I somehow got it back on quickly enough. Just my luck though. I can’t really remember the second run but I got through it albeit a good bit slower than the first. I made a friend too – then it turned into a race between us and I forgot about the rest of the field altogether. Second cycle was good – I think the mentality was changing and I knew I was near the end. Plus my chain behaved – I’ll never take that for granted again; it’ll always be a bonus. Met my friend again for the last run and was going to beat him come hell or high water! Steady enough run, similar pace to the second one and of course the mind was ecstatic knowing it was nearly over..haha. Finished strong to the chorus of people who had come out to embarrass support me!! And then I was absolutely full of beans once I stopped – I should have done a glory lap.. :)
    I was proper dreading this all day. I was really worried I’d bitten off more than I could chew. I probably did... But I’ve done it now so all I can do is improve. And a new PB! Woohoo! I’ll get my results tomorrow and post them up.
    Celebrating with tea and biscuits now and looking forward to a good sleep tonight!!

Ok the internet was down last night so my spiel above had to wait until today to be published. Pretty tired and extremely hungry today but still in great form! :D
    Results as follows:
    Finish
    Run1
    T1
    Cycle1
    T2
    Run2
    T3
    Cycle2
    T4
    Run3
    01:22:47
    00:12:35
    00:00:49
    00:19:29
    00:14:08
    00:00:59
    00:18:57
    00:00:46
    00:14:09

I dont know how to make that into a more legible table!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow! Great going CL. Congrats on the race. Sounds like you had a ball, even with the chain issues!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great stuff, Claralara, sounds like you had a great time. Congrats

Well done. That sounds like such a buzz. Your report is really well written. And the time far exceeded your expectations and you hadn't even included fixing your chain time!!!

Thanks guys! Ah it really was a great buzz, will definitely aim to do the whole series next year.

Thursday 5th August
    - Rest and recovery aka dinner and vino.. :D

Friday 6th August
    - Run – 3.58 miles / 5.76k – no watch but I was out about 30mins. Just wanted to take it handy and stretch the legs today and I was lying in bed waiting for my alarm go off so I decided to get it out of the way. I really like hitting a run on the head in the morning, gives me loads of energy for the day!

• Advertisement

A quiet Friday in work and I’ve been pondering both world peace and world domination… I think I want and need to change tack a bit on the training. The upcoming events are the 10mile race in 2 weeks and the half marathon in September. [After that I’m off on holidays for 3 weeks so will back at square one facing into the winter - that will be a whole nother challenge in itself!] I would like to complete the 10 under 90 minutes and the half under 2 hours. My speed is not great and I’ve never attempted a speed session or anything like it. I need to get the wall-planner out and refocus! If anybody reading would like to proffer some advice about what I should do please feel free to do so... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on the duathlon! Well done!

Have a look at HalHigdon's Intermediate 1/2 marathon plan, which contains speed-work. You don't have to follow the entire plan, but maybe you could try the speed-work sessions (use it as a template).

Unfortunately it's a little too late to be able to add any beneficial speed-work for your 10 mile goal time, but if you start now, you'll reap the benefits for the half marathon.

Thanks for that Krusty. I’ve printed out the intermediate half marathon plan so I’m gonna jump in at week 7 and follow that for the next 6 weeks. I think I’ll do the speed work as set out for the first 6 weeks instead though.

So where it says 5x400 – should I be doing 400m flat out on a track and then jogging or walking back to the start and repeating that? Or do you do them straight after one another? This is going to be an interesting experience for me because I am so not a fast a runner. I may, therefore, actually die.

Saturday 7th August
    - 8.5 miles – forgot to start my watch but the pace felt like easy enough 10min miles.

Sunday 8th August
    - Rest

So the new plan will be as follows for the week:
    Monday – Stretch & Strength
    Tuesday – 4.5m run
    Wednesday – 5 X 400 intervals
    Thursday – 3m run & Strength
    Friday – Rest
    Saturday – 4m run
    Sunday – 9m run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

the 10m in 90 will be the tougher of the 2, so if you do this you're a shoo-in for a sub 2hr HM.

Well done on the Formula 1 Duath, just keep things steady until the HM, as the sage KC said there's not too much speedwork you can do in the meantime. Re: the 5 x 400s, find a track if you can. The recovery is usually a jog, normally around the same amount of time it took you to do the lap, otherwise something around 75s should make it a tough enough session for you.

Good luck :)

+1. Those specific intervals are supposed to be run at 5k pace. If you haven't run a 5k race recently, think of it as running a small bit faster than you did for your last 10k race. A track would be ideal, (you're Blackrock'ish area, aren't you? Then UCD is the only real option). Failing that, try to measure a 400m loop in a local park and use that.

If none of the is possible, fartleks might help. Pick a spot ahead in the distance (in the direction you are running) and accelerate (with good running form) until you are running close to full speed (form is very important). Keep going until you reach the point you picked out, and then decelerate slowly. Recovery fully before attempting any further fartleks (and no, I didn't make up the name!).

Thanks for the help guys. Yep, bang on, UCD is on my way home from work so that’s doable if I organise myself to have my gear with me. How long is the track in UCD? OK that’s just me being lazy – I can google it!
    Ha you said Fartlek... :D I must try that actually. I see lots of the kids in here using it. Is that incorporated into a regular run as you feel like it or do you aim for a certain number / distances before you head out?
    I really must buy a book and learn some stuff – I rely on the good folk of
    the ART forum too much!

Monday 9th August
    - Upper Body Strength
    - Spinning – I know this wasn’t on the plan but I hadn’t been in the gym in ages and it was only 40 mins and I took it handy and I didn’t do any other leg work... :rolleyes:
    - A good ole stretching session

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The track in UCD is a standard 400m one.

Cheers RK! I'll give that a bash on wednesday so..

Tuesday 10th August
    - 5.01mile run - 42.43 - my leggies were very tired tonight but it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting.

I may switch tomorrow's intervals with thursdays easy 3miles if the legs are feeling the same tomorrow. I don't want to hurt myself by running fast on uncooperative legs. Will play it by ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Oh my gosh I am on such a high!
    This evening was TOUGH. Definitely the biggest mental challenge so far and quite possibly the most physically challenging also. Similar buzz to completing the Half Marathon but a different feeling altogether. Does that even make sense?? Well the aim was to complete the race in one piece and all going well to complete it in under an hour and a half. I am going to go mad and guess that I was one of very few, if even, beginners (as in have never even attempted a race comprising two disciplines!). The beginners’ wave did not look as ‘beginner’ as I felt!! I was assured by a fellow ‘beginner’ (YEAH RIGHT!!) at the start that I’d be fine, just to relax and enjoy the race and look forward to the elation at the end so I did just that. I need to mention the breeze but all I will say is ‘sweet god, that wind!!!’.
    The first run was good – nice and strong but the 2nd half into the wind was hard. First cycle was going well until lap 2 when my chain fell off :eek: I have never in my life fixed a fallen chain... I have no idea how I managed it but it was like I got a flash of divine engineering inspiration and I somehow got it back on quickly enough. Just my luck though. I can’t really remember the second run but I got through it albeit a good bit slower than the first. I made a friend too – then it turned into a race between us and I forgot about the rest of the field altogether. Second cycle was good – I think the mentality was changing and I knew I was near the end. Plus my chain behaved – I’ll never take that for granted again; it’ll always be a bonus. Met my friend again for the last run and was going to beat him come hell or high water! Steady enough run, similar pace to the second one and of course the mind was ecstatic knowing it was nearly over..haha. Finished strong to the chorus of people who had come out to embarrass support me!! And then I was absolutely full of beans once I stopped – I should have done a glory lap.. :)
    I was proper dreading this all day. I was really worried I’d bitten off more than I could chew. I probably did... But I’ve done it now so all I can do is improve. And a new PB! Woohoo! I’ll get my results tomorrow and post them up.
    Celebrating with tea and biscuits now and looking forward to a good sleep tonight!!

Ok the internet was down last night so my spiel above had to wait until today to be published. Pretty tired and extremely hungry today but still in great form! :D
    Results as follows:
    Finish
    Run1
    T1
    Cycle1
    T2
    Run2
    T3
    Cycle2
    T4
    Run3
    01:22:47
    00:12:35
    00:19:29
    00:14:08
    00:00:59
    00:18:57
    00:00:46
    00:14:09

I dont know how to make that into a more legible table!

Firstly well done on the Duathlon, that's brilliant.

It looks really interesting and you're planting seeds in my mind now - damm you ;). Would you recommend doing one?

• Advertisement

I’m gonna bottle it…
    New name for the log to reflect both how I’ve been feeling pre training and racing and post training and racing for the last few weeks – most particularly around the Duathlon last week and the antics of last night. It’s that feeling of “Dear God what am I doing? I am not going to be able to complete *; at least not in one piece. But I can’t pull out now because I’ve been shooting my mouth off about * ever since I registered…” (I’m gonna bottle it…and bail out) combined with the feeling of “I am so glad I went ahead with *. I’m still alive and I feel great. I didn’t win anything or come anywhere near it but I had so much fun and what an atmosphere…” (I’m gonna bottle it… and remember this feeling the next time I’m lacking motivation or feeling terrified about crashing and burning). I just have to figure out how to edit the log name now...

And sure I’ve done 10k to HM and beyond now so I might as well change it. Amazing how back in February when I started this I was positively horrified at the thought of running longer than 10k. And whatever about doing that distance for a fun run race – who the hell would want to do it after work, on their own, in the dark, with no music…Haha.

So the PBs to date:-**
    10k – 54.22 February ‘10
    5k – 26.30 March ‘10
    Half Marathon – 2.04.54 – May ‘10
    5miles – 39.38 – July ‘10
    Formula 1 Duathlon – 1.22.47 – August ‘10
    First Mountain Race (?K) – 45.02 – August ‘10
    **Everything I’ve done has been a PB because I haven’t attempted any distance twice…

So last night I had planned on swapping the intervals with an easy 3mile run because I was pretty tired on Tuesday. HOWEVER, my rubber elbow landed my curiosity in the world of mountain running. donothoponpop and GoHardOrGoHome sold it to me in 3 easy posts in the Events thread. I really worry about how I manage to get myself into these situations.

IMRA – Mountain Rescue Benefit Race
    I headed up to Ticknock after work on my todge. As I was driving up the petrol light came on in the car… How the hell was I going to get to the top of a mountain when the car didn’t even have enough fuel to get to the bottom of it?! It’s not often I compare myself to a 1600cc car but last night was apt I think. I figured if I could just get up, then the car could roll back down to the nearest petrol station so I just went with it. I got up anyway, paid my €10, got my number and went to sit in the car to let the terror settle in for half an hour.

I bumped into a couple of friends who had also let their imaginations convince them that they too were capable of running up a mountain so that distracted me at the start line. We stayed at the back of the group – wouldn’t have liked to annoy the pros. I passed a few people on the way up most of whom I let pass me on the way back down. The ascent was tough! There were parts of it that on a normal run I’d class as hills and dread but last night I considered them flat and an opportunity to make ground. Strange how your perceptions change... The views were class – not the views of the string of a people about a mile ahead and still climbing – the views of the city and the sea only!! The descent was fun but very hard. I didn’t get to enjoy any views on the way down. I had to keep the eyes firmly fixed on the ground, or lack thereof!! I was really worried about hurting my dodgy ankle and or breaking my face so I stayed sensible and took my time. There was a definite abundance of flailing limbs and yelping sounds that emanated from my being... I must remember to turn off the sound effects for the next one.

Yes, you read correctly, there may be another attempt at a mountain run some time in the future. It was a fun change from the usual. I finished in 45.02 by my watch and I’m not sure of the exact distance. It was sold as 5k with a 200m ascent but one of the guys I was with got a reading of over 7k on his garmin so I’m not sure.

An interesting and fun feat in any case!! Very well organised and for a great cause. The sore calves and very sore bum today are totally worth it!

Thats brilliant well done!

shazkea wrote: »
    Firstly well done on the Duathlon, that's brilliant.

It looks really interesting and you're planting seeds in my mind now - damm you ;). Would you recommend doing one?

Sorry, thought I had replied to you the other day!

I'd defo recommend doing one. It was a lot of fun. I'm a sucker for falling for making impulsive decisions and then being too stubborn to back down. Exhibit A - Duathlon; Exhibit B - Mountain Racing :confused: The Duathlon essentially happened because a friend of mine nearly peed his pants laughing at 'the thought of you on a bike!!' My reaction was 'Ha, I'll show you!' So I went and bought a bike!

It's enjoyable to mix the training up and have something to aim for / look forward to. Go for it!

And this forum is a demon for planting seeds...I'm battling against my better knowledge to stay away from the marathon. I might only last this year though. :)

Ha! The thought of you running a marathon! ;)

Ha! The thought of you running a marathon! ;)

Haha, well you've gone done it now! :rolleyes:

So last week’s plan went to pot after the mountain run on Wednesday which had me in pain with every step for a good two days. And then an impromptu weekend away resulted in too much dirty food and drink and not nearly enough sleep. Why do I treat my body so badly sometimes?! Tried to go for a run last night but I clearly didn’t have an ounce of hydration to support any such attempt. A mile and a half in the shins and calves had completely seized up so I decided to call it quits and go home to bed. Bold I know!

New leaf for this week! Clean diet and good training and hopefully I’ll be back on track quickly!

Monday – Stretch & Strength & 40mins spinning
    Tuesday – 5 X 400 intervals
    Wednesday – 4m Run & Strength
    Thursday – 3m easy Run*
    Friday – Rest
    Saturday – Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race

*Will play this session by ear depending on how I’m feeling in advance of Saturday.

Monday 16th August
    - 35 mins spinning
    - Upper body weights & core work
    - Stretching

Got my marathoning book in the post today. I can't wait to run a 3 hour marathon when I finish it. :D That's how good it is right? Works pure magic! At the very worst I can read it on the bus and let people think I'm hardcore! ;) Aside I would definitely recommend bookdepositry for all your literary needs, cheap and cheerful, no delivery charges and books arrived within 3 working days.

The return to healthy eating didn't go so well when I spilled a pint of summer fruit flavoured water into my chicken and veg stirfry this evening...:rolleyes: Luckily I had cooked enough to feed a small country!

Also, just an observation but is everyone having a crap week or so?! There must be something in the air. Chin up peoples - PMA :D

Day 2 of healthy eating - Warning: balsamic vinegar in a freshly mascara'd eye while making a good intentioned packed lunch at 8am will result in streaming black tears. This is not a good look at the best of times. And even less so on the bus when you don't discover the face until you get into the lift at work about 45 mins later!

Tuesday 17th August
    - 5.67mile run home from work - I mistyped my plan for the week, it was meant to say run tonight, intervals tomorrow. This was not a good run :mad: My shins were very tight. Felt pretty crap all day - I better not be coming down with something. Going to go to work via Boots (with a clean face!) tomorrow morning and dose the hell out of the sneezes and tiredness that was going on today. Hopefully it won't develop any further. Stopped for about 5 minutes on the way home and had a good stretch by a tree and felt a good bit better and looser after that. Still not 100% though. I'm not sure what I should do for the rest of the week now. Should I go ahead with tomorrow's plan and rest thurs / fri? Or should I rest tmrw and try a short slow run thurs morning? Or should I just rest the legs until saturday altogether? Hmmm...decisions decisions!

I had great plans for Saturday so fingers crossed this is a blip! Going to bed covered in deep freeze now. Not sure if it's any use but surely it can't be any harm...:rolleyes: Had plans this evening so couldn't put the legs up on ice annoyingly!

So I've done nothing else since Tuesday. I toyed with gthe idea of going for a few easy miles all day yesterday but the sensible part of me was saying no. My shins have been pretty achy all week so I been trying to rest them – being lazy and ringing for a lift home from the bus stop and other such spoilt child tricks...:D I’m thinking I’ve lost the goal of the sub90 but I’ll give it a go anyway. I really hope my limbs cooperate with me tomorrow. I’m only asking 10 miles of them. DVD, pasta and a couple of litres of water tonight. I’m sure that’s what all of the kids will be at of a Friday night! And then I really want to get back on track for the half marathon. What I really need is a good slap! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck with the race tomorrow. Hope it goes well.:p

Advertisement