Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry to Dublin train hits herd of cattle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Ah lighten up, its an internet forum, not a court room
    Maybe I spend too much time in AH

No-one was killed or seriously injured, damage can be fixed and cows replaced. Thats what insurance is there for.

People were discussing possibilities, not making allegations. If there were cows on the line it is the farmers fault one way or the other. He is supposed to control his animals, which he clearly was not doing. It is his responsibility to ensure gates are closed, fences are not broken, that the line is 100% clear when/if moving stock. Even if someone else left the gate open while rambling through his land, its still his responsibility even if it is totally unfair.

With due respect Cookie Monster I happen to think that any incident like this is very serious as people could be badly injured. I'm sorry if it comes across as though I should "lighten up" of if it offends you, but I view any incident like this as potentially life threatening.

When I read posts such as those above where someone suggests that phones were not being answered by safety critical staff (as allegedly being the norm) without any basis for such a comment in fact, then I think people need to think about what they are writing. Until the investigation takes place, none of us knows what happened.

There were fairly wild accusations being thrown around, some of them getting personal, and I just don't think that they are particularly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why would it be life threatening?

The trains are designed to take that kind of impact easily. The fact that the unit drove on without assistance once the animals were cleared off attests to that.
    The sudden braking may cause a few injuries but someone would want to be seriously unlucky to be seriously injured by a fall against a seat edge or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Why would it be life threatening?

A few weeks ago, a farmer was killed moving cattle on the Ennis line.
    The trains are designed to take that kind of impact easily. The fact that the unit drove on without assistance once the animals were cleared off attests to that.
    The sudden braking may cause a few injuries but someone would want to be seriously unlucky to be seriously injured by a fall against a seat edge or the like.

As a rule, yes they are but there is still a safety risk to a train if anything or anybody is on the line. Don't forget, there was two deaths on the line only 2 weeks ago so it's a bad time for this to happen.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, a farmer was killed moving cattle on the Ennis line.

As a rule, yes they are but there is still a safety risk to a train if anything or anybody is on the line. Don't forget, there was two deaths on the line only 2 weeks ago so it's a bad time for this to happen.

Sorry, yes of course to people outside is a big risk. I thought he was referring to just passengers as it was only cows involved in this particular incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

KC61 wrote: »
    With due respect Cookie Monster I happen to think that any incident like this is very serious as people could be badly injured. I'm sorry if it comes across as though I should "lighten up" of if it offends you, but I view any incident like this as potentially life threatening.

When I read posts such as those above where someone suggests that phones were not being answered by safety critical staff (as allegedly being the norm) without any basis for such a comment in fact, then I think people need to think about what they are writing. Until the investigation takes place, none of us knows what happened.

There were fairly wild accusations being thrown around, some of them getting personal, and I just don't think that they are particularly helpful.
    there was a piece on the news some time ago where farmers on the cork-dublin line were losing cattle because the phone was not being answered and they had no other option but to bring their cows across the line for milking etc,

this was happening not for regular trains as the farmers know when to expect the scheduled services but they were ringing to check for delays spacials etc and their calls were ignored by the office that deals with those calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

You are wrong there. Its Irish Rail's Legal Responsibility to fence along their track to prevent animals straying onto it. The farmer will be entitled to to full compensation from irish rail for his animals.
    markpb wrote: »
    a)

c) It's the farmers legal responsibility to properly fence his land and stop his animals getting onto the track. so there's a good chance it's his own fault his cows were struck.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    there was a piece on the news some time ago where farmers on the cork-dublin line were losing cattle because the phone was not being answered and they had no other option but to bring their cows across the line for milking etc,

this was happening not for regular trains as the farmers know when to expect the scheduled services but they were ringing to check for delays spacials etc and their calls were ignored by the office that deals with those calls.

I assume that you can produce a link to back up your story otherwise we have to assume it's a load of sloblock.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I assume that you can produce a link to back up your story otherwise we have to assume it's a load of sloblock.
    assume whatever you like about it

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    They really should've mooooooved out of the way :pac:
    The Cattle mustn’t have herd the train coming.
    God you two are milking this one for all its worth.

The mod should grab the bull by the horns and put an end to this foolishness :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

but I view any incident like this as potentially life threatening.

It also sufficiently rare to not panic about it, conflicts-of-interest omitted

If there are people without a conflict of interest that finds no humour in this story, I despair. A light-hearted rail thread, imagine that.. :eek:

dfx- wrote: »

If there are people without a conflict of interest that finds no humour in this story, I despair. A light-hearted rail thread, imagine that.. :eek:
    have you ever seen a cow after it has been hit by a train? most are not killed outright but will die an excruciatingly painful and agonising death before any vet can get to the area. i find it more laughable that irish rail cant provide a proper service despite the millions pumped into the company every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dfx- wrote: »

Apologies, but I don't particularly find it humourous at all. I'm sure that it was not humourous for the driver seeing the herd of cattle on the tracks, for the farmer who has lost valuable livestock, or the people who had to clean away the remains.

And I have no conflict of interest whatsoever in this regard.

My second problem is that it then turns into a "who can we blame" thread with various wild allegations following from it, including blaming the CEO!!! Why people cannot wait for the official report before jumping to conclusions is beyond me.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    assume whatever you like about it

I'm assuming nothing here at all, it's you that is bringing hearsay and bluff into this. You firstly claim that Irish Rail staff didn't answer a phone call which was unlikely to have been made being somehow responsible for this incident. You then refer to a newspaper article claiming that this is an ongoing problem without showing a link to back up said claim.

The only thing that we can can be clear on is that you have no proof to back up your post and that your post isn't to be trusted at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

So tell me.. Did all the passangers get free burgers for sunday lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Pull the udder one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Too much bullsh1t on this thread. :D

SARASON wrote: »
    So tell me.. Did all the passangers get free burgers for sunday lunch

na, it'd have to have been an old Mk3 set with kitchen car for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I'm sure that it was not humourous for the driver seeing the herd of cattle on the tracks, for the farmer who has lost valuable livestock, or the people who had to clean away the remains.
    QUOTE]

I can assure you from being on a train that hit cattle several years ago the smell is something you never forget. The smell of blood, guts and fresh meat is something you don't forget in a hurry.

I pity the poor sod who had to clear up the mess in Laois Traincare.

sturrer wrote: »
    moo

Great 1st post - welcome to the Boards. :D

• Advertisement

sturrer wrote: »
    moo

mmmmmoooooooooooooooooo-aaaaaarggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Maybe they need to beef up safety & security on the lines......

Anyhow.......moooooving on....

:rolleyes:

Some of the udder posters don't seem to want to move on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Some of the udder posters don't seem to want to move on..

Cud we call a halt to this hilarity ?

Cud we call a halt to this hilarity ?

I'll leather the next person that makes a joke at the cows expense!

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'll leather the next person that makes a joke at the cows expense!
    i'll tan their hide

Maybe IE should look at adding these to the 22K's!:p

cowcatcher.jpg

You're really milking this thread for all it's worth - where's a mod when you need one? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

My second problem is that it then turns into a "who can we blame" thread with various wild allegations following from it, including blaming the CEO!!! Why people cannot wait for the official report before jumping to conclusions is beyond me.

And within 5 posts, the term legal responsibility was used in defence of Irish rail. It is inevitable if this thread is serious that it happens.

I know which thread I'd prefer. :)

parsi wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the train was driverless because the driver was having a pee.... also it was mentioned that Dick Fearns had instructed the driver to take his pee at this particular spot. There was a mention that the Nordies were behind the whole thing. I also believe that rather than using the train radio this call was made using the 3 network from a disused station in Carlow following on from a secret meeting held on the Gort - Limerick train.

Now Foggy - anything to add :)
    my conscience is clear but if you feel the need to share anything or just to let people know you are not involved with any transport company etc the conflict of interest thread is always open! And in this instance it might explain all the above insider knowledge you seem to have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

<automodbot>Cud you all shut up or I will cream yiz.</automodbot>

Advertisement