Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

watty wrote: »
    This is not a competitor to Sky & UPC. It's for people that don't want Sky or UPC and can't get DTT. Because the dish is tiny compared to a Sky/Freesat dish in Ireland (Zone 2) and can even be in a plastic box, people can easily have Freesat also. Possibly Freesat & Saorsat on one receiver. Unlike Sky it's almost certain one small dish (that is less obtrusive than MMDS and need not look like a dish) can feed any number of sets without multiple cables from dish or complex traditional Sat IF distribution gear.

I think it is a good idea. The whole thing still sounds a little clumsy - because they are only looking at this from the RTE point of view, and really it should be consumer driven.

I think what we need to know now, is:

* What analogue transmitters will be decomissioned by RTE
    * What new digital transmitters will be commissioned
    * How many viewers will rely on the new satellite service

I still think it is outrageous that in some areas people will have to shell out 250euro for a sat installation, whereas others will just have to plug in a box for DTT. Yes, there is a cost associated - but by the time this gets going people will be able to source cheaper STBs for DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Actually The BBC have used SKY for backup in the past in the channel Islands.

Off topic, but i think there is some discussion about trying to use ITVHD via satellite for Channel Island digital switchover, as Channel TV don't have resources.

Back on topic now chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

bpb52 wrote: »
    Ku,Ka Fta or FTV. Who cares.

Most of the junk shown on RTE is also on Sky.

I guess RTE will continue as "rip off" public service provider.

If they (rte) disappeared along with licence fee would anybody notice ?

Balanced and well thought out debate - That's what I love about forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Maybe I'm too cynical but surely anyone who currently gets poor analogue and doubtful DTT are already using $ky. Given a choice of paying several hundred Euro for another box to get RTE many people will just say "thanks but I'l stick with what works for me now". People hate change in any form, even if it saves them money in the longer term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There a lot of guess work, the cohort that actually requires a Sat to get a decent picture is already small and the numbers who will need this new service is therefore smaller again cos some will already have SKY as mentioned. Now some of the Irish via SKY audience are doing so only for RTE/TV3/TG4 and will drop SKY but others will see no need as they rather like enough of the other stuff to pay for it.

For RTE Saorasts real value would appear to be as a back-up facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

marclt wrote: »
    I think what we need to know now, is:

1) What analogue transmitters will be decomissioned by RTE
    2) What new digital transmitters will be commissioned
    3) How many viewers will rely on the new satellite service
    1) ALL of them. Likely phased by area, Ryan claims "by 31st Dec 2012". I suspect starting then :)

EVERY SINGLE ANALOGUE TV Transmission is supposed to be gone by end of 2012!

[EDIT]
    2) Somewhere around 51. That gives about 95% to 98% (population?) coverage according to RTE, 99% coverage would need over 140 transmitters or more. Some very small.
    SEE https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/7609/120372.doc

3) The 2% to 7% that would either get no DTT or need very big expensive aerial for DTT. I don't think many of those would have UPC or be able to get UPC. UPC & Sky together have almost 80% of households. So we don't know how many people with no DTT have no Sky.

Anyhow the state and RTE have to ensure EVERYONE can get all the Digital TV & Radio without subscription. So it's irrelevant in one sense how many have Sky/UPC.

I rather suspect 10% could need the sat service. It also happens to cover all of N.I. with larger dish..

I'd expect some Freesat/UK FTA viewers to go Saorsat. Maybe a high percentage as a dish can be on a wall or near ground level. Fitting an aerial needs roof ladders, lashing kits etc. My Daughter has no RTE in Limerick City as it would cost a lot for a TV aerial to be mounted. 3 story houses block Woodcock hill. Her FTA uK TV is €66 sat system from B&Q on 4ft /1.2m pole about 20m from house at back of garden under a tree. She would need a new HD box in house and €20 diseqc switch with small Ka dish+ LNB on existing pole under tree. Then she'd get UK HD and Soarsat.

So by end 2013 (one year after analogue switch off) I'd expect 10% to 15% of households using Saorsat, though maybe only half would really have no DTT coverage (5%)
    marclt wrote: »
    I still think it is outrageous that in some areas people will have to shell out 250euro for a sat installation, whereas others will just have to plug in a box for DTT. Yes, there is a cost associated - but by the time this gets going people will be able to source cheaper STBs for DTT.

I rather suspect if you have RTE analogue and not getting DTT ever, there will be an install subsidy or even free install.

mike65 wrote: »
    There a lot of guess work, the cohort that actually requires a Sat to get a decent picture is already small and the numbers who will need this new service is therefore smaller again cos some will already have SKY as mentioned. Now some of the Irish via SKY audience are doing so only for RTE/TV3/TG4 and will drop SKY but others will see no need as they rather like enough of the other stuff to pay for it.

For RTE Saorasts real value would appear to be as a back-up facility.

The UK has freesat to support a notional 1% after analogue switch off.

The real value is for 2% to 7% of real people who would have no Irish TV. There is a universal obligation. Sky will not have all the Irish channels. The "back-up" feature is icing on the cake.

5% is 25,000 people! They have a right to have exactly the same service as people in Dundrum from Three Rock. ALL the channels, what ever HD there is. All the DAB channels will be on DTT & Sat also.

That works out at €60 a person per year.
    If you did UK level of coverage then the extra rollout cost could be €20M and over €1.5M running cost. You STILL need Sat for last 1%. = €300 a year!

Because there is no card / encryption costs if 10% of people need it the cost is only €30 a year.

Basically I will be upset if those in areas that will never have DTT, don't get free install as this solution doesn't cost RTE €1.5M a year. It saves more than that a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Having looked at this thread for 24 hours I am increasingly convinced its vapourware:

a) The target market is too small: 5-7% of Irish TVHH.

b) The technology is untried and untested and cannot be scaled down in a bespoke manner to the Irish market. Rain fade has always been a big issue with Ka band.

c) The logistics of integration with Freesat are highly problematic and VERY messy for the consumer.

d) It naively assumes zero competitive dynamics. Sky will whack them with a super counter offer to RTE and the Government. They are past masters at this. Just look at their counterstrike to BTVision's offer of Sky Sports in the UK begun today : not for the faint hearted or the commercially stupid.

e) As with everything technological in Ireland (see DTT passim) this will be debated endlessly for another decade.

f) Of course RTE may be hoping that Sky will come back with a FTV counteroffer which will kill this dead. That is probably RTE's hope.

What I'd like to see is an NPV calculation which included a) Risk evaluation b) addressable market c) project set-up costs d) competitive dynamics analysis e)technology cost appraisal.

PREDICTION: This is not going to happen but it will be discussed ad nauseam.
    Just like to address some of the points you made.

A) Target markets is for likes of SKY, UPC and who ever else is looking to increase their market share of monthly subscribers.
    These solutions wether it be the combo box solution ,DTT +free to air or
    wether it be 2 satellite solution, is for people who want FREE TV and dont want a monthly subscription.Near a 100% of the country will have the choice
    of either of these ways of getting free TV.

B) From what WATTY and people on this Thread have been saying , this 2 sat solution has been working for some time in the states and is well tried and tested, I think it rains over there as well.

C) As someone who has been installing aerials and FTA satellite for many years , I dont get you on this one, If someone wants FTA, they ring someone
    like me up , who then in turn comes up with a solution for FTA that suits there needs. ie , A person has SKY+ and want to go FTA ,with this new FTA system we can offer them a FTA HD + box ,put up another small dish or the Wave frontier dish that WATTY was suggesting and give them all the RTE'S and all the english satellite channels in the one box and the ability to record through the hard drive. If people have to change their freesat box big deal , that will be up to them.

D) This solution is costing 1.5 million a year , are you suggesting that SKY could buy off RTE and the GOVERMENT in order so people will have to keep paying SKY 300 euro + a year , when that 500 million a year SKY makes leaves this country. I dont think so.

E) Well the satellite has'nt launched yet so you could be right on that one.

F)This solution is only costing RTE 1.5 million a year and gives RTE a real independence from commercial operaters which they would never of had previously. Cant see them throwing that away . RTE are a public broadcaster.

G)Its only costing RTE 1.5 million a year .What i would like to see is RTE going a head with this and let the public decide.

IM getting phone calls already about it and they have'nt even launched the
    satellite.HOW NAIVE IS THAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MRDTV said it straight out, and I agree with him. This is an attempt to poke an FTV offer out of Sky as much as anything else.

We must also look at satellite shadow areas where we can consider a satellite fed relay like they use in Norway.

Norway has 430 Transmitters and 531 satellite fed relays in satellite shadow areas. The shadow relays feed an AVERAGE 12 households each who would tend to live on the south side of fjords surrounded by mountains and who cannot see the sky.

http://www.ntv.no/modules/module_123/proxy.asp?C=33&I=234&D=2

We don't even have 20 transmitters :( The Norwegians will probably build a further 70 Satellite Shadow relays before they conside the job done.

There is not capacity on 28.2 for full post ASO IrishTV service. For once I have to disagree, this is nothing to do with negotiating with Sky. FTV card schemes are a bad idea. Read the ex. Director General BBC speech as to why BBC was leaving the FTV scheme and only ever intended to be in it short term.

Why should Ireland be practically the only EU country without their own Sat service? If there was no alternative and Sky offered an affordable FTV scheme I'd agree. If the Launch fails, RTE may have to buy 15,000 to 25,000 Sky subs as a last resort. I can't see how that would be less than €2M p.a. and that would be missing nearly half the content.

I imagine RTE will use the Kasat to feed some isolated TX sites. €1.5M for 9 TV & 12 Radio is cheap. 28.2E raw carriage prices even without encryption and EPG can't compete.

It seems RTE is only going to do 51 DTT sites.

• Advertisement

The norwegians have oil tho...

Limerik/Dublin is about 52/ 53 deg north;
    Satellite elevations 22.5 for Sky, 29 for kasat

Tromso in Norway is 70 deg North. Elevation to Satellite Thor is only 11 degrees.

Satellite reception even NOT in a Fjord is very challenging in much of Norway. Below 12 degrees elevation building and ground noise is an issue apart from getting a view of sky.

Hardly any rural houses in Ireland are shadowed from 29 degree Elevation satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Maybe I'm too cynical but surely anyone who currently gets poor analogue and doubtful DTT are already using $ky. Given a choice of paying several hundred Euro for another box to get RTE many people will just say "thanks but I'l stick with what works for me now". People hate change in any form, even if it saves them money in the longer term.

Thats why i has to be cast effective at 1.5m because they dont expect huge numbers to take it up. it is to provide 100% coverage. As said already it is not a commercial enterprise. RTE are happy for people to stay on Sky as long as they are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Limerik/Dublin is about 52/ 53 deg north;
    Satellite elevations 22.5 for Sky, 29 for kasat

Tromso in Norway is 70 deg North. Elevation to Satellite Thor is only 11 degrees.

Satellite reception even NOT in a Fjord is very challenging in much of Norway. Below 12 degrees elevation building and ground noise is an issue apart from getting a view of sky.

Yes i was up in the very far north of Finland and i remember being amazed at the satellite dishes near enough looking into the ground, due to the offset!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Given a choice of paying several hundred Euro for another box to get RTE

Several hundred euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There are households in a satellite shadow (they live on the north side of a hill or mountain), what about them ??

There are housholds in a 9e satellite/tree shadow who can get 28e....and vice versa, what about them ??

You will never be able to cover everyone, but at least with sat backup, you'll be pretty damn close. And considering some of the lengths I've seen people go to to get even snowy VHF reception of RTÉ, I reckon trees will be the least of their concerns.

Where there's a will ...

dishonpole.jpg?1279361772

What is 20m to left? Unless there is a Stadium or 25m high wall the sat dish would work sitting on the ground.

BTW I edited some of my earlier posts regarding content and number of DTT sites 90+ ->> actually 51 is target
    from https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/7609/120372.doc (The RTE presentation to Oireachtas)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Who thought of the name "Saorsat"? Was it Michael Collins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Apogee wrote: »

dishonpole.jpg?1279361772

That really did make me laugh. Why put a dish on the top of a telegraph pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Minstrel27 wrote: »

I think it looks amazing and not difficult at all to maintain or readjust when the wind knocks out the alignment.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Some reasons I thought of
    • To stop people kicking balls / throwing stones
    • Anti-theft
    • There really is a massive wall/cliff/building just to left of shot
    • Stupidity or Ignorance of how satellite works
    • To make amusing photo
    • It's a photoshop job :)

I guess we won't know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Who thought of the name "Saorsat"? Was it Michael Collins?

LOL, indeed too close to "Saorstat Éireann" (the name of the state between 1922 and 1937) for my liking.

Anyways, back on topic. This stinks of RTÉ trying to find an excuse not to complete the DTT rollout. Practically all domestic satellite dishes in this country are pointed at Astra 2x. Why would RTÉ reinvent the wheel by starting a new satellite service elsewhere?

The answer is, they don't intend for Saorsat to be a success. They intend it to be there. So that they can tell the government, "well, we can't complete the DTT rollout, but here, those who can't recieve DTT can buy this". It also allows them to tell the Government they have just achieved 100% blanket FTA coverage in Northern Ireland at a stroke.

In reality, no one is going to make the sort of investment (€200+) needed to recieve this service - with a mere seven channels, four of which they already have and another two of which is largely composed of programming they can already recieve on RTÉ1/2 - when for the same money they can put up a satellite dish aimed at Astra and recieve hundreds of English-langauge channels.

I'll deal with the proposed line-up over in the DTT thread in terrestrial, but suffice to say, I don't think any satellite service in the English speaking world has launched with a smaller channel selection since BSB. And at least that was five new channels. There will be only really one new channel on this - 3e. If they can clear their rights for FTA, that is.

There is no difference in 3E on Saorsat and Saorview for rights. Same footprint.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no difference in 3E on Saorsat and Saorview for rights. Same footprint.

Nope, the same issue applies to 3e being on Saorview - that the channel is currently, despite all of TV3's posturing, a pay-TV channel. Its programming rights would have been acquired on that basis. This is not to say that it cannot move from being pay-TV to FTA as E4 has done before it but it will have to ensure its rights holders know that it is going FTA before it does so.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

icdg wrote: »
    Nope, the same issue applies to 3e being on Saorview - that the channel is currently, despite all of TV3's posturing, a pay-TV channel. Its programming rights would have been acquired on that basis. This is not to say that it cannot move from being pay-TV to FTA as E4 has done before it but it will have to ensure its rights holders know that it is going FTA before it does so.

I don't believe this is an issue in Ireland as rights are generally bought for the country, rather than the platform. 3E covers the whole country via an Irish sky card so they should have no rights issues going on Saorview or Saorsat.

In the UK rights are often sold per platform, hence the different issues there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

icdg wrote: »
    In reality, no one is going to make the sort of investment (€200+)

Most people won't have to as they be either paying a pay TV provider and are not bothered or they can pick up the DTT with existing Aerials or Rabbit ears.

For those who want only the Irish digital channels and can only get it through Saorsat the price is not yet fixed as there may very well be subsidises so the 200+ cost at this moment in time is speculation.

Time will tell what the costs will be, the equipment or prices have not even be announced, the final line up will be come clearer too.

1) DTT rollout costs and coverage
    Re-reading the RTE presentation to the Committee I'm shocked they only intend 51 DTT sites. I had assumed cutting back from 140+ to 90. You need 140 to 150 approx for almost full coverage and then Satellite "clone" for the 0.5% to 1% that can't get or have poor signal.

With only 51 sites, you are looking maybe at 5% to 10% needed Satellite.

I'll add more here: http://www.techtir.ie/watty/soartv
    (Currently has list of single posts on boards also as well as comment)

2) Viewer Costs
    It's not a Multichannel Pay TV competitor. It's purely to replace Analogue so the Government can get their money (So called "Digital Dividend"). So Government should be sub-venting extra money for rollout and paying 100% of cost for satellite dish installs for those with no DTT signal and subsidy equal to basic DTT set-box for all others with DTT reception that have Medical Card.

For those that have pay TV (nearly 80%) none of this is an issue unless you want HD RTE, the DAB stations or what ever other extra Irish DTT is launched as it's possible none of this will go on Sky. Adding it to Cable is more likely, but none will go on MMDS.

If you have FTA or Freesat satellite, the Kasat (if that's what it is) "dish" can be an insignificant box that could be added for under €100. You'd need an upgrade to Freesat HD, (no HDTV needed) for setbox though.

A basic DIY Saorsat system is likely to be under €60 by ASO (Analogue Switch Off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

copacetic wrote: »
    I don't believe this is an issue in Ireland as rights are generally bought for the country, rather than the platform. 3E covers the whole country via an Irish sky card so they should have no rights issues going on Saorview or Saorsat.

In the UK rights are often sold per platform, hence the different issues there.

None of us can actually know what the rights situation is with 3e (unless someone actually works for tv3) The rights have been bought for the country but for a station that is not free to air. There has never been a case before where a Irish station has gone from paid to free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

If you have FTA or Freesat satellite, the Kasat (if that's what it is) "dish" can be an insignificant box that could be added for under €100. You'd need an upgrade to Freesat HD, (no HDTV needed) for setbox though.

Says the person who doesn't mind putting up the odd satellite dish or three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

As copa says there is not difference in rights between FTA and non FTA, the rights in Ireland are geographical, you dont need to work in tv3 to know this. The only other rights available are Irish language.

None of us can actually know what the rights situation is with 3e (unless someone actually works for tv3) The rights have been bought for the country but for a station that is not free to air. There has never been a case before where a Irish station has gone from paid to free.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement