Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Hmmm, I didn't know the whole city was coming down to the dock road to dump their rubbish. I've certainly never thrown any rubbish near there.

The skaters kids use the skate park, the skate park is full of rubbish therefore the skater kids must play some part in contributing to the build up of rubbish down there.

Are you seriously suggesting that they have no part to play- that they're simply patsies in a twisted garbage dumping plot? Come on get real.

Whole City = Figure of Speech (said id explain since you missed it)

Im suggesting the people who's duty it is to clean public parks should clean it and anyone who is in the park should think twice about dropping litter..

does that help?

I also have no doubt that they are talented, but does having talent mean that you're less likely to dump rubbish or something?

I'm not saying these are bad kids, I'm just saying the place is dirty and it's surprised me that after years of campagning for it, that they dont seem to bothered about keeping it clean.

Its hard enough to get kids to clean their rooms not to mind a public park.. get real.. its the councils job.. period

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

wheelsonthebus

Quit your trolling or I will have to quit your trolling for you

Any more off-topic trollery will result in bannings.

What are you on about? How am I trolling? I'm discussing the state of a park with another poster- and giving my opinion, like he is his. Not trying to deliberately annoy anyone. Should I set up a new thread about this instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Stab*City wrote: »
    as an ex tagger i quite like it as long as there is effort and style

It's vandalism, plain and simple. Would you be OK if I scraped your car or painted your house with "effort and style" ?

Plus it's ugly and drags the tone of the whole place down.
    fair enough if you drop a paper/can you should pick it up.. but to call these kids names cuz the whole city has dirtied their park is a joke.. have you seen the talent limerick is producing skaterwise these days? but hey lets paint every one of those kids with the same brush eh..:rolleyes:

Now,there's an idea.....if you want to paint the kids, then fire away.....at least they can have a bath afterwards......or you can "tag" them, so that their useless parents can remember their names given that they haven't seen them all day while they were out "tagging".

Its hard enough to get kids to clean their rooms not to mind a public park.. get real.. its the councils job.. period

Maybe there'd be less cleaning of the park required if scumbags didn't tag it ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's vandalism, plain and simple. Would you be OK if I scraped your car or painted your house with "effort and style" ?

Plus it's ugly and drags the tone of the whole place down.

Now,there's an idea.....if you want to paint the kids, then fire away.....at least they can have a bath afterwards......or you can "tag" them, so that their useless parents can remember their names given that they haven't seen them all day while they were out "tagging".

Yes it is vandalism but it happens and if i want to look at it as a piece of art its up to me.. you say its ugly i think its beautiful.. much more beautiful than out of work cranes, building sites and closed shops.. i guess its horses for courses.. although i realise its breaking the law and should not be done.. these days id rather tag in photoshop..

WTF??
    Sher we could say that about everything.. sher there would be more grass on the fields if nobody played soccer on em..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

This kinda crap sickens me. In a city of innumerable social issues, the Batmans of the world decide to make graffiti their top priority :rolleyes: It's a shame their altruism didn't extend to picking up litter or sharing their paint with the many derelict buildings around the place. No, these philistines would rather spend their time removing artwork as opposed to actually doing something more constructive. God knows there are any amount of things that could do with being removed around here before focking graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Ah what are you on about, its perfectly acceptable to litter and tag when you know its someone's job to clean up after you...........

Yes it is vandalism but it happens and if i want to look at it as a piece of art its up to me

You're entitled to, if you want, however you are not entitled to deface other people's property. Tag away in your own backyard, or buy a derelict site and work away to your heart's content there.

What would you say if I viewed a scratch along the side of your car as "art", and decided to go ahead and do that art ?

If "taggers" want to tag their own property, then fire away.

Are you seriously telling me that the scrawl defacing the new flyover at Dooradoyle does anything other than make a brand new bridge look derelict and tacky ?

You're entitled to, if you want, however you are not entitled to deface other people's property. Tag away in your own backyard, or buy a derelict site and work away to your heart's content there.

What would you say if I viewed a scratch along the side of your car as "art", and decided to go ahead and do that art ?

If "taggers" want to tag their own property, then fire away.

Hey we could go around quoting the laws all day thats not going to stop the kids with markers.. And in a city where there is absolutely nothing for teenagers to do we are lucky if thats all they are up to..

Thats a good point though i wonder what would happen if i took a spray can to my own house.. what would the neighbours say then.. (total imaginary scenario before anyone jumps down my throat)..
    Are you seriously telling me that the scrawl defacing the new flyover at Dooradoyle does anything other than make a brand new bridge look derelict and tacky ?

To tell ya the truth i didnt even notice it with the shock and awe of the placement/construction and overall look of that ugly bridge.. That bridge belongs on a motorway not in the middle of dooradoyle/ballinacura.. i hate that bridge so much that i would love to see it covered in beautiful art like the dock road was.. give the artists a canvas like that and a few quid we could possibly solve a number of problems..

but back on topic those guys who went around and covered the artwork with paint are just attention seekers.. it only made the problem worse.. the kids asked for skateparks we gave them skateparks now they rarley skate outside dunnes/taits.. let also give them other outlets for creativity maybe that might stem the rise of illegal outlets..

• Advertisement

And in a city where there is absolutely nothing for teenagers to do we are lucky if thats all they are up to..

I absolutely detest this cop-out. There was absolutely nothing for teenagers to do when I was growing up, and I didn't go around defacing property or any other anti-social behaviour.
    To tell ya the truth i didnt even notice it with the shock and awe of the placement/construction and overall look of that ugly bridge.. That bridge belongs on a motorway not in the middle of dooradoyle/ballinacura.. i hate that bridge so much

I'd agree - it's a woeful bridge. But making it look worse with some pathetic scrawl on it is not the answer.

Yes, the guys who painted over the actual art and murals are way out of order.........they'd have been better off painting over the stupid untidy scrawls and maybe even with paint-repellant "paint" so that no future tagging scrawling was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Lads I am sure there are loads of threads discussing tagging versus graffiti .

This thread is about Graffiti being painted over in two areas that seem to have been set aside for this kind of art .

jonski wrote: »
    Lads I am sure there are loads of threads discussing tagging versus graffiti .

This thread is about Graffiti being painted over in two areas that seem to have been set aside for this kind of art .

This is called back seat modding i received an infraction for this..

Also if you read my last post i did bring my discussion back on topic..:rolleyes:

And also liams last comments were inline with the thread topic.. maybe you should read the posts instead of putting your cv forward for a mods job..;)

Also liam people are different.. some people are not content with doing nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

This is called back seat modding i received an infraction for this..

Also if you read my last post i did bring my discussion back on topic..:rolleyes:

And also liams last comments were inline with the thread topic.. maybe you should read the posts instead of putting your cv forward for a mods job..;)

Also liam people are different.. some people are not content with doing nothing..

Nah , actually ye posted those last two posts while I was replying ..... but nice deflection with the olde Looking for the mod job . You couldn't pay me enough to do it .

I would argue that most people are "not content with doing nothing"....

....however decent people don't break the law in order to "do something".

I would argue that most people are "not content with doing nothing"....

Decent people break the law all the time..

Ah give us a break Liam, you need to choose your battles and your angst is seriously misplaced on this one.

There are any amount of threads in this forum with adults highlighting the lack of things to do in this city so of course the same is true for teenagers. And given the amount of pre-pubescent skanks I regularly witness outside my window, I think the skateboarder kids aren't doing too badly at all. In fact, I'd go as far as saying they bring a bit of positive energy to the area but seeing as they aren't wielding hurls or rugby balls they're immediately frowned upon by the narrow minds of many.

Funny how people who comment on issues of genuine concern around here are accused of Limerick negativity yet it's ok to get het up over something as innocuous as a bit of graffiti.

There are any amount of threads in this forum with adults highlighting the lack of things to do in this city so of course the same is true for teenagers.

Yup. No argument. Doesn't excuse choosing crime and vandalism though.
    And given the amount of pre-pubescent skanks I regularly witness outside my window, I think the skateboarder kids aren't doing too badly at all. In fact, I'd go as far as saying they bring a bit of positive energy to the area but seeing as they aren't wielding hurls or rugby balls they're immediately frowned upon by the narrow minds of many.

Hold on a second....what are you accusing me of objecting to ?

I've no problem with skateboarders.....fair play to them.
    Funny how people who comment on issues of genuine concern around here are accused of Limerick negativity yet it's ok to get het up over something as innocuous as a bit of graffiti.

Proper graffiti like what was unfortunately covered up - I agree.

But vandals making buildings, walls and bridges look ****e is worth getting annoyed about and is "of genuine concern", because (a) it makes the city look run-down and (b) it shows an underlying disrespect for other people's property, and no qualms about damaging it, which is a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

People play hurling/soccer/rugby in pitches. Take away the pitch and they play where they can. Where that ends up is where property gets damaged and/or people get annoyed and rightfully so, BUT so do the players who would gladly play if they had a pitch.

I think you can see my point ;)

Nockz wrote: »
    People play hurling/soccer/rugby in pitches. Take away the pitch and they play where they can. Where that ends up is where property gets damaged and/or people get annoyed and rightfully so, BUT so do the players who would gladly play if they had a pitch.

I think you can see my point ;)

No, because there's a massive difference between damaged caused by accident (as a result of playing) and damage caused wilfully (setting out to deface property).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

No, because there's a massive difference between damaged caused by accident (as a result of playing) and damage caused wilfully (setting out to deface property).
    Ah yes, my bad. Kids should have more constuctive hobbies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

But vandals making buildings, walls and bridges look ****e is worth getting annoyed about and is "of genuine concern", because (a) it makes the city look run-down and (b) it shows an underlying disrespect for other people's property, and no qualms about damaging it, which is a serious issue.

We're not talking about vandals making buildings, walls and bridges look ****e, were talking about people who have decided to put some art up in a run down site which is quite frankly an eyesore. This has been commented on positively on this forum before, and anyone I've spoken to about it seems to think that it livens the place up.

As for the skate park, there are a lot of "people" who have nothing to do with skateboarding that go down there drinking and making a nuisance of themselves, this is usually why the place has litter. Also the council built a fantastic amenity for skateboarders, but forgot as usual to provide basic infrastructure, for example a bin. If you go past any day of the week you will see that the regular skateboarders that go there bring a black plastic bin bag that they hang from the railing and take away with them when they leave. I don't skate, and only go down there when I'm passing by, but I do know a lot of skateboarders and they have campaigned long and hard for this space, it's almost 15 years to get to where they are now and I know that those who use it for its intended purpose don't litter the place.

foinse wrote: »
    We're not talking about vandals making buildings, walls and bridges look ****e, were talking about people who have decided to put some art up in a run down site which is quite frankly an eyesore. This has been commented on positively on this forum before, and anyone I've spoken to about it seems to think that it livens the place up.

Agree 100% on that aspect - the rugby murals on the Dock Road were pretty cool.

Agree 100% on that aspect - the rugby murals on the Dock Road were pretty cool.

"Arggghhhh Damn Graffiti"

"Oh wait its paul and ronan what lovely murals"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well whilst I am no rugby fan, it looked a damn sight better when the painting of the two rugby players was there, and not the badly put on cream paint covered in tagging that is now there.

Plus the yard beside that that had all the walls covered in graffiti art now looks a total eyesore with the cream paint put on in patches and only over some art.

What it looks like is that the three apes with the paint went out of their way to cover up the arty stuff and left the tagging alone, I wonder if it is just coincidence that a couple of the tags are the same ones as those used to mark areas by a certain weston gang. Funny how the tagging by the oil depots and on the walls on the way up to Alandale never got touched by the three apes that claimed they were trying to cover up unsightly graffiti. The tagging at the Oil depot on the left as you go up that road is already on a cream/beige coloured wall and is only across the road from where the apes covered the art, so surely they could have covered that if they were genuine in what they claimed to be doing.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well whilst I am no rugby fan, it looked a damn sight better when the painting of the two rugby players was there, and not the badly put on cream paint covered in tagging that is now there.

Plus the yard beside that that had all the walls covered in graffiti art now looks a total eyesore with the cream paint put on in patches and only over some art.

What it looks like is that the three apes with the paint went out of their way to cover up the arty stuff and left the tagging alone, I wonder if it is just coincidence that a couple of the tags are the same ones as those used to mark areas by a certain weston gang. Funny how the tagging by the oil depots and on the walls on the way up to Alandale never got touched by the three apes that claimed they were trying to cover up unsightly graffiti. The tagging at the Oil depot on the left as you go up that road is already on a cream/beige coloured wall and is only across the road from where the apes covered the art, so surely they could have covered that if they were genuine in what they claimed to be doing.

I agree with you it did look alot better down there with the artwork.. That wall inside the gate was as good as ive seen in bigger cities..

Unsightly "tagging" scrawls on permanent structures vs actual art on a temporary wooden masking wall.

You're not comparing like with like.

But given that it suits your argument and your preference for unsightly scrawls and defending the right to damage others' property, I'm not surprised at your stance.

Yes it is vandalism but it happens and if i want to look at it as a piece of art its up to me.. you say its ugly i think its beautiful.. much more beautiful than out of work cranes, building sites and closed shops.. i guess its horses for courses.. although i realise its breaking the law and should not be done.. these days id rather tag in photoshop..
    Unsightly "tagging" scrawls on permanent structures vs actual art on a temporary wooden masking wall.

You're not comparing like with like.

But given that it suits your argument and your preference for unsightly scrawls and defending the right to damage others' property, I'm not surprised at your stance.

See above.. as you can see i never defended anybodys right to damage others property. The rugby murals were painted on a concrete wall.. So go ahead and make stuff up given that it suits your argument. I'm not surprised at your approach.

See above.. as you can see i never defended anybodys right to damage others property
    as an ex tagger i quite like it

So you what.....tagged all your own property ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

the rugby murals on the Dock Road were pretty cool.

Hang on, let me get this straight -graffiti at the skatepark is just vandalism but pictures of rugby players are 'pretty cool murals' -are you havin a laugh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement