Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with Vinny Byrne of the IRA 'Squad'

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

When I was in secondary school the most memorable video we watched was an interview with one Vincent Byrne, member of Óglaigh na hÉireann. He was very old at the time of this interview. It was brilliant, partly because there was a character down the back of the class giving a running commentary and imitation of Vinny Byrne's unforgettable working-class Dublin accent as Vinny described how he and the rest of Michael Collins's 'Squad' or '12 Disciples' wiped out the 'Cairo Gang' on Bloody Sunday 1920. It was an absolute legend of an account. You really felt you were there the way Vinny recounted everything.

byrne.jpg

This is a very old picture of Vinny Byrne when he was a young fella.

300px-Some_of_the_squad.jpg

Vinny Byrne is the fella in the middle in this photo.

Here's the wikipedia article on 'the Squad':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Squad_(Irish_Republican_Army_unit)

Does anybody know where I could find that interview now? That's really what I'd most like to know. Also, what happened to Vinny after the War?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure where the interview would be available (assuming it's not on youtube etc). He is also covered in these books (in case you haven't already got them)

http://www.amazon.com/Squad-intelligence-operations-Michael-Collins/dp/1856354695/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274721956&sr=8-11

& Tim Pat Coogans 'Michael Collins'.

After the war he was a member of the 1916-21 club, also in the Irish Army. I read online that he worked for P&T & I believe he died in 1992 aged 92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wasn't his famous line in that interview 'I plugged him' referring to one of the Cairo gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Hi Rebel Heart, no wonder I couldn't pick that user name. Just came across your posting. I'm a great nephew of Vinny Byrne. My grandmother was his sister. I have seen many interviews over the years with Vinny. Even to this day he still comes up on RTE now and again. He lived in 1 Annes Lane off Grafton Street during the War of Independence. The house is still there today but is now a restaurant. He resigned his commision in 1924 after the Army Mutiny. He later worked in the P&T. He lived most his life in Drimnagh, where he become a founding member of the Drimnagh Credit Union. He married a second time after his wife died. He had a son and 2 daughters by his first wife, which all moved, funny enough to England. One still survives and lives just outside Merseyside. She is in her 80's now. He later moved to Artane where I live myself, just up the road from him. He died in 1992 at the great age of 92. It took him many years to talk to the family about what he was envolved with. In a meeting of the 16-21 club, which was made up of members of the Old IRA, the surviving members of the squad took a vote to see who would do it all again if they had to. Vinny was the only one who said yes. He was that much of a hard liner. He became the chairman of the 16-21 club. I hope this gives you some insight into Vinny and if you would like to know any thing else about him please feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Rebelheart wrote: »
    When I was in secondary school the most memorable video we watched was an interview with one Vincent Byrne, member of Óglaigh na hÉireann. He was very old at the time of this interview. It was brilliant, partly because there was a character down the back of the class giving a running commentary and imitation of Vinny Byrne's unforgettable working-class Dublin accent as Vinny described how he and the rest of Michael Collins's 'Squad' or '12 Disciples' wiped out the 'Cairo Gang' on Bloody Sunday 1920. It was an absolute legend of an account. You really felt you were there the way Vinny recounted everything.

byrne.jpg

This is a very old picture of Vinny Byrne when he was a young fella.

300px-Some_of_the_squad.jpg

Vinny Byrne is the fella in the middle in this photo.

Here's the wikipedia article on 'the Squad':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Squad_(Irish_Republican_Army_unit)

Does anybody know where I could find that interview now? That's really what I'd most like to know. Also, what happened to Vinny after the War?

I just checked through my own videos and found an interview with Vinny Byrne in the RTE production "The Shadow of Bealnablath". It was produced in 1988. They have an interview with him and also they bring him to the house where the killings took place and have him walk in to the room and describe what happened.

If anyone knows of any other books or online documentaries that cover Vinny Byrne or the Squad please post them here.

• Advertisement

A real good book is The Squad by T. Ryle Dwyer. This was wrote using interviews by the members of the squad that was given in the fifties to the Bureau of Military History. It gives first hand accounts of actions involving the squad. Other books are, Michael Collins the lost leader by Margery Forester, Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan, which is a very good book and my favorite Carlton Younger's Ireland's Civil War of which I have a copy that Vinny signed for me. The link is about the actions on Bloody Sunday by the squad on the Cairo Gang. The British agents sent to destroy the IRA in Dublin. Morlar I have the books I mentioned if you want to have a look. He gave a great interview to the journalist Robert Kee for the documentry, Ireland A History. There is bits of the series on Youtube but I can't seem to find anything with Vinny. Pathe News has put all their archives on their website which has some good images from that time.

http://www.cairogang.com/ira-men/byrne-vinny.html

A real good book is The Squad by T. Ryle Dwyer. This was wrote using interviews by the members of the squad that was given in the fifties to the Bureau of Military History. It gives first hand accounts of actions involving the squad. Other books are, Michael Collins the lost leader by Margery Forester, Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan, which is a very good book and my favorite Carlton Younger's Ireland's Civil War of which I have a copy that Vinny signed for me. The link is about the actions on Bloody Sunday by the squad on the Cairo Gang. The British agents sent to destroy the IRA in Dublin. Morlar I have the books I mentioned if you want to have a look. He gave a great interview to the journalist Robert Kee for the documentry, Ireland A History. There is bits of the series on Youtube but I can't seem to find anything with Vinny. Pathe News has put all their archives on their website which has some good images from that time.

http://www.cairogang.com/ira-men/byrne-vinny.html

Have to agree the Dwyer book is completely outstanding, also the Tim Pat Coogan one.

The Dwyer expands a lot on the TPC one in terms of the nitty gritty of day to day operations for those men and the level of detail is incredible, all sorts of mindblowing anecdotes from that period in Ireland.

One anecdote that stood out was the tale of a british army private who left the castle on a motorcycle with a sidecar one morning. Got ambushed by some volunteers who took his bike and decided to send him on his way as he was just a private.

He walked down the road a while and then saw some men outside a house, (I believe this was on bloody sunday).

Vinny bryne was at the house with a squad split into different parts to search the old georgian house, one unit upstairs, one down the back and one for the front rooms. They were after senior ba and intelligence operatives. The private was forced to approach and surrender then made stand in the hallway while the house was searched and the senior british army & intelligence men were shot.

When this job was done Vinny byrne then turned to the private and decided to let him go as he was just a private - he was told to stand there for 15 mins before raising the alarm or they would come back for him. So that unit of the squad then left. The Private stood there in the hallway as ordered and a few minutes later another unit who had been searching the back of the house appeared and on seeing the private in the hallway assumed the worst and immediately opened fire - he dived into the room and locked the door behind him and the remaining unit decided to let him go and left. So in the course of an hour that single british army private had 3 seperate very lucky escapes with hardened IRA volunteers. That is just one example of a throwaway anecdote in the dwyer book that I would highly recommend also.

I would definitely be into seeing those other books you mentioned and will dig up the Robert Kee one on youtube from a home PC when I get a chance. Cheers.

It's funny how his name keeps coming up. I have seen other forums from the UK that even have topics about him.

The attack on the Custom House was probably the closest he came to been captured. After he had dumped his gun he was heading down to the Northstrand when a British army patrol stopped him and started to question him.

He was asked where he was coming from and going to. He answered that he was coming from Brooke Thomas, which was a building merchants. When they searched his pockets they found a receipt for wood which he had bought before. It was just luck that he had it on him when he was stopped.

He was a carpenter by trade and the Squad used his shop as a meeting place.

The house in Annes Lane was raided many times in which he had to run through the attics of the adjoining houses to escape. They always missed him and also never found a rifle which he kept hanging under clothes on a
    clothesline. I think the rifle is still on display in O'Connells school in Ballybough. His pistol, (Peter the Painter) is on display in Collins Barracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

MarchDub wrote: »
    I just checked through my own videos and found an interview with Vinny Byrne in the RTE production "The Shadow of Bealnablath". It was produced in 1988. They have an interview with him and also they bring him to the house where the killings took place and have him walk in to the room and describe what happened.

Good guess, Marchdub. I just checked it out on Youtube and the entire documentary appears to be there. The relevant section is here, beginning at 2.47.

However, Vinny Byrne appears in only one scene here. In the documentary I'm thinking of he appears for much longer.

Any other documentary names, anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Hi Rebel Heart, no wonder I couldn't pick that user name. Just came across your posting. I'm a great nephew of Vinny Byrne. My grandmother was his sister. I have seen many interviews over the years with Vinny. Even to this day he still comes up on RTE now and again. He lived in 1 Annes Lane off Grafton Street during the War of Independence. The house is still there today but is now a restaurant. He resigned his commision in 1924 after the Army Mutiny. He later worked in the P&T. He lived most his life in Drimnagh, where he become a founding member of the Drimnagh Credit Union. He married a second time after his wife died. He had a son and 2 daughters by his first wife, which all moved, funny enough to England. One still survives and lives just outside Merseyside. She is in her 80's now. He later moved to Artane where I live myself, just up the road from him. He died in 1992 at the great age of 92. It took him many years to talk to the family about what he was envolved with. In a meeting of the 16-21 club, which was made up of members of the Old IRA, the surviving members of the squad took a vote to see who would do it all again if they had to. Vinny was the only one who said yes. He was that much of a hard liner. He became the chairman of the 16-21 club. I hope this gives you some insight into Vinny and if you would like to know any thing else about him please feel free to ask.

Hi, Vinny is my grandfathers 1st cousin. I am trying to put a book together regarding our family history, which I am sure you have heard an awful lot about. Its gas cause were related..Lots of Byrnes. Quick question did you ever hear of Charlie downey? He was extremely involved in the troubles, but his history is hidden cause of secrecy reasons if you know what I mean!!

Regards
    Patrick Byrne

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Good guess, Marchdub. I just checked it out on Youtube and the entire documentary appears to be there. The relevant section is here, beginning at 2.47.

However, Vinny Byrne appears in only one scene here. In the documentary I'm thinking of he appears for much longer.

Any other documentary names, anybody?

I think the one you're after was the series fronted by Robert Kee - including the famous quote "I said may The Lord have mercy on your soul and I shot him".

I can't remenber the exact name of the series, but I think it was broadcast in the early eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

MarchDub wrote: »

I think I saw that documentary, was Eoghan Harris interviewed in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Not all the Cairo gang were spies, that is a myth-some of them were just civil sevants. Some of them were shot in front of wives and children, one such wife who was pregnant had a miscarriage that day and died a few days later. Sean Lemass shot a person that day as well, but never owned up to it. I remember Byrne saying "May the Lord have mercy on your soul". I suppose that gave him forgiveness in the sight of his God ?

Here is what Michael Collins had to say about this event :

"I have proof enough to assure myself of the atrocities which this gang of spies and informers have committed. Perjury and torture are words too easily known to them. If I had a second motive it was no more than a feeling such as I would have for a dangerous reptile. By their destruction the very air is made sweeter. That should be the future's judgement on this particular event. For myself my conscience is clear. There is no crime in detecting in wartime the spy and the informer. They have destroyed without trial. I have paid them back in their own coin."

Collins got much the same fate at Bealnablath from his erstwhile fellow murderous thugs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Paddy De Plasterer - it seems like you have little interest other than stirring it up in this thread.
    If you're going to post, try and be less in your face.

Dades wrote: »
    Paddy De Plasterer - it seems like you have little interest other than stirring it up in this thread.
    If you're going to post, try and be less in your face.

in other words, dont go against the grain,is that right. and a warning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Collins got much the same fate at Bealnablath from his erstwhile fellow murderous thugs.
    Are those who kill in a conflict only "murderous thugs" when their in the IRA ? Surely if "murderous thugs" annex a country and hold it through force, those who take up arms against them cannot be "murderous thugs" ?

in other words, dont go against the grain,is that right. and a warning !

Maybe if you gave some original sources for your statements and not just proffer your own opinion it might be better. Historical analysis has to be based on source material - not just "I think this happened" or "this is what it seems to me" and emotive language type of statements without any evidence supplied.

• Advertisement

Was Collins not killed at Bealnablath his former coplleagues ? Me thought he was, hardly source material needed for that !

Was Collins not killed at Bealnablath his former coplleagues ? Me thought he was, hardly source material needed for that !

Calling them murderous thugs seems like provocative language however.

Calling them murderous thugs seems like provocative language however.

well what is anybody who kills, I think DeValera was behind it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

This was an interesting topic and a good thread until you got involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Last chance to be constructive, Paddy.

I have no issue banning you for trolling if I think that's what you're at here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

That Michael Collins film has a lot to answer for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Some good history stuff here, That Vinny Brown was an awesome man, Im going to try find out more about him.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Don't get me started on it. Full of inaccuracies.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Yes - My sentiment exactly! This is where the "I think" brigade come in. Fact is they don't think - the ideas have been implanted from some random inaccurate source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Excellent thread, apart from the last page obviously, The Cairo gang were all ex military with the exception of one man a RIC officer.
    None of them were civil servants 'just doing their job' types. Michael Collins, himself an ex civil servant would not have ordered their execution unless it was completely necessary, In one fell swoop he put out the eyes of the British empire.
    The comment about 'murderous thugs' I won't even justify with an answer.

Advertisement