Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Emigrating?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

In order to save the Irish economy, the best and brightest of us have to leave these shores every generation.

This is to allow the thickos left behind to keep going to mass and voting Fianna Fail without fear of persecution.

I'm gone by the end of the year. Canada or maybe the UK.

Who else is going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm hoping to go to the UK before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'm just back from Canada but hoping to head to New Zealand soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Oz in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I know this is a silly question but, whats Canada like? In general? (I know its a huge country with a range of climates I've a degree in Geography ffs, but are people nice and are there jobs to be got?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

In order to save the Irish economy, the best and brightest of us have to leave these shores every generation.

This is to allow the thickos left behind to keep going to mass and voting Fianna Fail without fear of persecution.

Who else is going?

so why are you and all the others not going to stay and try to change from inside ?, you cant do it from outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Maybe these people will have to.

Don't tell Brian Cowen and co. tho. Those inept cnuts reckon the recession is over.

I be honest. Ive lost all hope for this country and the part i can play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

yep, plans are a foot, end of next summer, as soon as the irish economy picks up again the country will get flooded again by unskilled construction workers and there is plenty of work for a tradesman back in oz where labourers cant pretend to be qualified(grabs coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I came here from Liverpool over a decade ago now, and the English economy is just as screwed as the Irish economy. So all those planning on heading there; honestly, there is no point!
    I wouldn't mind moving on again, just to experience a different culture. But I love it here too much. I miss Ireland dreadfully when I visit home/leave. :o

danbohan wrote: »
    so why are you and all the others not going to stay and try to change from inside ?, you cant do it from outside

The only way to change this place would be to napalm the Dail, Seanad, RTE, Independent Newspapers and every single church in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nah, I have a job..

• Advertisement

Nah, I have a job..

A what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

For the now... I'm staying... but I don't do either of the above...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Just came back 2 years ago after nearly 10 years away and I still havent found a job here. Some things never change eh ?
    Im getting on now a bit in age but I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and it looks like im going to have to leave again. Sick of the whole f**in thing.
    Emmigrating is a young mans game and im dreadin the toughts of this s**t all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Who's Emigrating?

Emigrants!

For the now... I'm staying... but I don't do either of the above...

Its obvious that you dont do either, because your able to use a computer:D
    I was kinda talking about the 24% or whatever it is in those polls, not that I believe them for a second, that would still vote for those inbreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Who else is going?

Nonsense, you'll be still living with Mammy! Far too cushy of a life to give up so ya have! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I came here from Liverpool over a decade ago now, and the English economy is just as screwed as the Irish economy. So all those planning on heading there; honestly, there is no point!
    I wouldn't mind moving on again, just to experience a different culture. But I love it here too much. I miss Ireland dreadfully when I visit home/leave. :o

That's just as I thought,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Im in fairly stable employment ATM but if that were to change Im increacingly toying with the idea of moving to The Netherlands but I havent a clue whats available workwise or how Id go about finding it (particularly given that Im shyte with languages) :(

In a sense Im an emigrant/immigrant already though.

Ruu wrote: »
    Nonsense, you'll be still living with Mammy! Far too cushy of a life to give up so ya have! :pac:

Professionally qualified, haemorraghing rent, interviewing for everything relevant but there's never any callbacks, last contract not renewed due to cutbacks, how is that cushy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Figures of 70,000 (Irish Times) and 70,000 (Indo) have been quoted even as late as yesterday as having left the country in the last year.

With the likes of Eircom dropping hundreds/thousands of jobs soon, I can't see the tide turning soon to be honest.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Figures of 60,000 (Irish Times) to 70,000 (Indo) have been quoted even as late as yesterday as having left the country in the last year.

With the likes of Eircom dropping hundreds/thousands of jobs soon, I can't see the tide turning soon to be honest.

i was back in new york recently seen a lot of new young irish in some the bars in yonkers/bronk nothing close to scale of 80s , yet. i think the tide has not started at all yet , its like the period 1981 -1984 lot people thinking of it, trickle going , before floodgates opened from 1985-1989 , and its almost like groundhog day for those of us from that period , we even have a lenighan in goverment telling us everything is fine and dandy really !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I'm considering going to the Netherlands myself. I'm a pipefitter myself and i've been out of work over 2 months now. I was looking at the UK but the construction sector over there seems to be just as bad as here. There's talks of major construction work coming off in the Netherlands in the near future and I've applied for 2 positions i saw advertised on the net from a UK and Dutch agency. By all accounts English is widely spoken throughout the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Figures of 70,000 (Irish Times) and 70,000 (Indo) have been quoted even as late as yesterday as having left the country in the last year.

Shocking figures alright.
    Id say those figures could easily treble by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Young people. Traditionally non-FF voting. Leaving and will probably not vote once they start to build lives elsewhere. No wonder FF can still hover around the 25% support level no matter how much the fcuk up this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I love Eire,and i may go in and out of the country for few months here and there,i will never emigrate for good and always at home in my heart.:cool:
    Ireland is the best country in world barr the stupid greedy lot.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    By all accounts English is widely spoken throughout the Netherlands.

It is but knowing Dutch to some degree is still handy

1) For dealings one might will have with officialdom
    2) For jobs with even a minimal level of customer service/dealing with the public
    3) For getting better deals/avoiding ripoffs
    4) Out of general courtesy to the citizens of ones host nation one should try and make an effort (even if theyre totally crap at it)

TBH when Im over there I always feel slightly embarrassed about the crap education I received in Ireland when I hear so many Dutch people speak perfect English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    It is but knowing Dutch to some degree is still handy

1) For dealings one might will have with officialdom
    2) For jobs with even a minimal level of customer service/dealing with the public
    3) For getting better deals/avoiding ripoffs
    4) Out of general courtesy to the citizens of ones host nation one should try and make an effort (even if theyre totally crap at it)

TBH when Im over there I always feel slightly embarrassed about the crap education I received in Ireland when I hear so many Dutch people speak perfect English

I'd agree with you there Mike 1972. I phoned an agency in Rotterdam and was greeted on the phone in English! The lady i was dealing with spoke perfect english throughout our conversation! To be honest she spoke better English than some of the locals in my area! It would be nice to try and use a bit of the local lingo when in their countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Shocking figures alright.
    Id say those figures could easily treble by the end of this year.
    If that 70,00 that have left, decided to say - christ thats a further drain on finance resources and would massively bump up the current unemployment figures to more accurate terms!

Side note: it appears that weekly we have 3,500 welfare tourists exposed (as to their fraud) due to the ash cloud fiasco. See here.

From talking to people whove lived there.....

Knowing the lingo boosts ones range of job opportunities and likely salary even though the overwhelming majority of people one will be dealing with will be quite fluent English speakers.

Also if one plans on staying long term being able to follow local news/current affairs would be handy

• Advertisement

If that 70,00 that have left, decided to say - christ thats a further drain on finance resources and would massively bump up the current unemployment figures to more accurate terms!

Side note: it appears that weekly we have 3,500 welfare tourists exposed (as to their fraud) due to the ash cloud fiasco. See here.

not to mention the 500k that left in 80s and 90s most of who did not return , which goes to show the sham that is fianna fail and their ilk, this country since its inception in 1921 has failed in every generation to provide sufficent employment for its people save for a false construction bubble from 2000-2008 ,

Advertisement