Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Luke "Ming" Flannagan getting elected as mayor of Roscommon...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

we defo need more o Learys here for sure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The point jmayo, Elevator and Barname that you're all missing is that in virtually all cases of professional malpractice or mistakes it is a fellow peer who uncovers such. Doctors who commit wrongs are found out by other doctors. Scientist who are mistaken are corrected by fellow scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay,
    Fair play to Ming etc.

This has always bugged me however, so any answers appreciated.

Do the mayors of our various town/city councils get paid any extra?
    If not, do they have any "running costs" associated with the role? (Car/driver/Secretary etc)
    What is the role/function of the Mayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes and intellectual snobs or urban snobs looking down their noses at rural often less formally educated people as somehow having an irrelevant opinion to theirs is one of my pet hates.

It's not looking down on anyone. It's realising that someone who has gone to university to study geography and works in an area where that expertise is required has a more informed opinion on the effects of bog cutting than someone who just cuts said bog.
    As Barname quiet pertinently listed what about all the cockups and disasters our so called experts, both in terms of education and work experience, have visited upon those whose opinions would be of less weight?

So because a few experts cocked up, any expert opinion on any issue should be dismissed?
    A doctor in Drogheda was allowed continue for years ruining the lives of women and families, because after all he was THE EXPERT and why shoudl anyone speak up.

What's your alternative? Allow people with no training (ie non-experts) become doctors because some with training have messed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We need a lot of things in this country that we don't have.

I'm not the biggest fan of someone having a bigger platform merely because they have an academic qualification in a particular field. But nor am I a fan of everyone having the same sized platform regardless of what their formal qualifications are merely because they have a view on something. "You're just a doctor, you only learn things off" isn't particularly helpful. "You're not a doctor" often is.

Hence, neither "I have a degree in X" nor "I'm from the area" are ultimate measures of whether a view is worth listening to or not. I'm a massive fan of everyone bringing something to the table of discussion. However, some people bring more than others. And sometimes the capacity of the table is limited, as it is in a TV panel discussion.

As you've probably noticed, I'm not much of a fan of ad hominem arguments and "you're just a doctor, you only learn things off" is rather ad hominem. Certainly an attempt to play the man (or woman[1]) and not the ball.

The fact of the matter is that an academic qualification is a defined, society recognised measure of a certain amount of knowledge (or measure of exams passed and standards met to the satisfaction of other academics if you want to be precise about it). There are plenty of academics who are plain scared of the world outside the college gates. Nowhere near all, mind you, but they exist. Academic qualification tied to practical experience is an excellent mix and not all academics have that. That's a potential chink in the wall of expertise. It exists. But the idea that every person's contribution to a discussion is equal in a "one man, one view" sort of way is laughable.

Now, as for the specific examples where qualified or ostensibly qualified people were just rubbish at their jobs, that's true in those cases. Not necessarily all that relevant of a greater evil where qualified people are not worthy to be listened to though. There's frequently a lack of peer review in many of these things, or a situation where the people designated as checks/balances fail to do their duty (and that certainly applies to any of the political appointments mentioned on this thread).

Bottom line is that if you have a recognised qualification, your voice has a greater weight in your subject of expertise or sort-of-expertise than that of someone who doesn't. That's the society we've built. We could abandon that society but that's not even the thin end of the wedge towards an idiocracy, it's the thick end, figuratively and double-figuratively. And I'm worried enough that we're already living in an pseudo-idiocracy that I'm damned if we're going to make it official.

[1] I like Monty Python

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Yes and intellectual snobs or urban snobs looking down their noses at rural often less formally educated people as somehow having an irrelevant opinion to theirs is one of my pet hates.

Note I come from a very rural background, but have a degree in Engineering and a Masters in Computers so in theory I could fall into both camps.
    Of course I am not an environmental scientist but guess what I live on planet earth so have a right to have an opinion on it.

I actaully do want to preserve bogs and not just the uncut, but cutaway bog as well.
    But the way this is being rammed down rural residents throats is not the way to achieve it.

As Barname quiet pertinently listed what about all the cockups and disasters our so called experts, both in terms of education and work experience, have visited upon those whose opinions would be of less weight ?

A doctor in Drogheda was allowed continue for years ruining the lives of women and families, because after all he was THE EXPERT and why shoudl anyone speak up.
    He had the diplomas, the degrees, the certifcates, the experience to prove his ability and what the f*** would anyone of a lesser wieghted opinion know.

The medical professsion is one of the worse for the amount of snobbery exhibited by it's practioners.
    People are meant to fall and worship at the feet of these people.

We were told that by the so called experts within Central Bank, IFSRA and Dept of Finance that our banking system was fundamentally sound, the could handle all eventualities.
    Rings a bit hollow now doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Michael O'Leary did a hell of an amount to dent the snobbery and arrogance that pilots used to exhibit.
    Maybe we need more Michael O'Learys in this country.

I think it's clear they weren't experts, probably just connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I found it frightening to see Ming claim last night that a bog could grow 40% in a few years. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard on TV by a long shot. I don't care how many medical cards Ming has sorted out or how stoned he can get or how pointy he can train his beard.

That the people of Roscommon could pick such a hectoring gobdaw to represent them is beyond embarrassing.

Who needs knowledge like when you have a shovel?
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/2396128

mingmercy-431x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I see about three different discussions going on here. Depending, I may split them into three different threads later (or perhaps leave them as is) but carry on regardless folks, if it's desirable, I'll take care of it.

/mod
    dynamick wrote: »
    I found it frightening to see Ming claim last night that a bog could grow 40% in a few years. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard on TV by a long shot.]
    I haven't seen the show but Eliot mentioned above that he might have said 14% or 40%. Can anyone clarify which?

Not that it's all that important which, mind you. Irish bogs (or any bogs) do not expand at either level on a yearly basis (thanks dynamick for including something relevant to illustrate that point). I know lots of Irish people have this notion, fuelled by years of Bord na Móna adverts, that the bogs are easily renewable resources but they're not. It's an easy mistake, years of marketing the bogs as effectively our renewable fossil fuels have put that notion in our heads. I have to confess that I had the same mistaken notion myself until about two years ago when I was interviewing an environmental activist (eco-warrior if you like) and she solidly corrected me on that point. Despite her being one of those people whose views I'd have good regard for, I went and did some research myself anyway. They're not growing - with the harvesting, they're shrinking. Now, whether you see that as a problem or not is your own affair. I see it as a problem as it happens but the fact is that they don't "grow" anywhere near as fast as the 80s adverts seemed to imply that they do and with the harvesting, they're shrinking.

I found it frightening to see Ming claim last night that a bog could grow 40% in a few years. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard on TV by a long shot. I don't care how many medical cards Ming has sorted out or how stoned he can get or how pointy he can train his beard.

That the people of Roscommon could pick such a hectoring gobdaw to represent them is beyond embarrassing.

mingmercy-431x300.jpg

yes but as he pointed out last night it was a government agency that had furnished the figures on bog growth so it wasn't from the wind he got those figures, someone somewhere has an agenda going on

he had figures for 3 or 4 bogs and I do think there was a figure of 40% in there somehwhere alright, I immediatly dismissed it as being rubbish until he revealed his source which I can't for the life of me remember

national parks and wildlife or something to that effect.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see his source.

Watch this guy in action. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075987
    26 minutes in: bog grows 40%.

ming07.jpg

I'd love to see his source.

Watch this guy in action. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075987

ming07.jpg

you can always watch the show on rte player and get the name of the source

What are his views on marijuana? Is it along the lines of it being no worse than drink, don't over do i t etc or you'll fry your brain or is he one of the new agey types that belives you'll unlock the secrets of the universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

lol that pic is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

sink wrote: »
    The point jmayo, Elevator and Barname that you're all missing is that in virtually all cases of professional malpractice or mistakes it is a fellow peer who uncovers such. Doctors who commit wrongs are found out by other doctors. Scientist who are mistaken are corrected by fellow scientists.

Actually AFAIK the Irish Medical council or Irish association of obstetricians/gynecologists ?? did a supposed investigation and found he was fineallowing him to continue.
    It was the whistleblowing of a nurse (someone of less weighty opinion according to some) who pursued it with HSE (who actually did a good job in counteracting the hospital and others) and then a British doctor investigated and exposed his methods as severly flawed.
    It's not looking down on anyone. It's realising that someone who has gone to university to study geography and works in an area where that expertise is required has a more informed opinion on the effects of bog cutting than someone who just cuts said bog.

So because a few experts cocked up, any expert opinion on any issue should be dismissed?

What's your alternative? Allow people with no training (ie non-experts) become doctors because some with training have messed up?

Ah come on now you are being facetious.

It just means non experts have a right to challenge expert opinion.
    According to the attitudes of some around here they should just shut up and do as their betters dictate.

Elevator wrote: »
    you can always watch the show on rte player and get the name of the source
    He didn't quote a source - he just said that it came from a report from the NPWS. You can read what the NPWS think of the impact of turf cutting on designated raised bogs here:http://www.npws.ie/en/media/NPWS/Publications/BogReports/Media,6767,en.pdf (executive summary page 6)

How in the name of Jesus could a bog grow 40% in a year? What would it consume to grow that much? Come on.

Ming is pro cannabis. Great, who isn't? Ireland should probably start growing it at this stage to earn some cash.

We are required by the EU habitats directive to protect a tiny number of bogs (4%). This of course spells doom for rural Ireland.

Maybe they have growing bogs on Mongo and he got confused.
    51CXMQEWQVL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Actually AFAIK the Irish Medical council or Irish association of obstetricians/gynecologists ?? did a supposed investigation and found he was fineallowing him to continue.
    It was the whistleblowing of a nurse (someone of less weighty opinion according to some) who pursued it with HSE (who actually did a good job in counteracting the hospital and others) and then a British doctor investigated and exposed his methods as severly flawed.

Why did they require a doctor to carry out a full investigation if the nurses opinion was just as valid? I'm not arguing that a layman's opinion is entirely worthless or incorrect just that it holds little weight.

There are many accusations thrown around by laymen on a daily basis against professionals; some of them are valid and some of them are complete fabrications. However in all cases it requires the investigations of a professional well studied in the field to determine the accusations validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Ah come on now you are being facetious.

According to the attitudes of some around here they should just shut up and do as their betters dictate.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a point of view. There's a big problem with disputing hard scientific fact. It's the equivalent of saying "i'm not going to listen to some armchair city dweller scientist tell me that the Germ Theory of Disease is real when I know that it's nonsense".

Bogs don't grow by 40% per annum. Someone is lying.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Everyone has a right to challenge expert opinion. All anyone asks is that they do so using logic and reason.

It's all very well to say "I think thon Einstein chappie was full of it", but unless you're going to point out a flaw in his reasoning, I'm going to stick with his view of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6683124943448353514#

Have a lot of respect for the guy after watching this documentary. Very intelligent guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

mingmercy-431x300.jpg

BTW his figures appear to have originated with a government/state body ?

Why do you think he is embarrassing and a gobdaw ?
    Is it because you have issues with his appearance or becuase he would fight for what he and his neighbours believe against the wishes of you or some people you admire ?

There have been far more embarrassing politicans picked by other constituencies including those of urban Dublin city.
    What constituencies did ray burke, liam lawlor, bertie ahern, willie o'dea, charlie haughey represent ?
    All primarily urban.
    And yes other rural constitiuencies have voted in people like the flynns, jackie healy rae, jack neddy o'keefe, micahel lowry who I would deem not fit to lace the shoes of Ming.

And Ming has done far less, if any damage at all, to the body politic of this country.

You appear to have serious issues with his appearance ?
    Personally I would rather an honest man looking like a tramp than a liar and thief in charvet shirts wearing makeup all at my expense.

Have you ever listened to him speak on issues like planning ?
    You may not agree with the man, but at least you have to admit he often stands up against the popular and easier line.

BTW I have respected the guy from the day I heard him talk on radio about the travesty that was planning and development during the construction bubble and this comes from a guy that knew him from college days when I thought he was a one trick pony only interested in legalising drugs.

It has been noticable of late how many debates are degenerating into a battle between rural and urban.

Can't wait to see how many of the urban environmentalists will be pro environment when they want to remove water from the Shannon system to feed the wastage of the capital ?

To other posters (Sink, T.W.H Byron, OscarBaavo), have I ever said expert opinion should be ignored ?
    What I have said is that you just can't try and tell people shut up, becuase you are not an expert and thus don't have the right to an opinion on this and that is IMHO what some posters are affectively saying.

The reason some of us highlighted the issues with doctors/banks etc is to highlight that expert opinion does often need to be challenged because it can be wrong and is not infallible as some would have one think.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

From what I remember of the programme, the NPWS reports were about the increase in biodiversity and the scientist was talking about increase in mass. Also the scientist was refering to the verticle growth of bog when she said it grew by 1mm per year. It seemed to me that both Ming and the scientist were talking about different things and the presenter didn't know the difference.

You appear to have serious issues with his appearance ?
    On the contrary, his appearance is fan-fcuking-tastic. 10/10 for his name and 10/10 for his appearance and posters. If all politicians styled themselves after supervillains, they'd be far more memorable.
    Have you ever listened to him speak on issues like planning ?
    Go on, tell what Ming says about planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a point of view. There's a big problem with disputing hard scientific fact. It's the equivalent of saying "i'm not going to listen to some armchair city dweller scientist tell me that the Germ Theory of Disease is real when I know that it's nonsense".

Bogs don't grow by 40% per annum. Someone is lying.

The issue is simple. He put out a statement, quoting the National Parks and Wildlife Service, that Lisnageara (sp?) Bog grew by 40% over 10 years and the scientist didn't correct it. She just sat there looking faintly bemused and when asked if it was possible for a bog to increase in size answered "No". Later she said she didn't understand where his figures came from. Surely it should have been very simple to debunk his statement and we wouldn't all be talking about bogs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

The issue is simple. He put out a statement, quoting from some govt sponsored report, that Bog X grew by 40% over Y number of years and the scientist didn't dispute it or correct it. She just sat there looking faintly bemused. Surely it should have been very simple to debunk his statement?

If I remember correctly she replied with the 1mm(?) per year growth of bogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Scofflaw wrote: »
    She's put in 20 years working on bogs, if that was Catherine O'Connell. I doubt Ming has anywhere near the familiarity with them that she does - indeed, I doubt most farmers would either, any more than you apparently know about scientists.

What do you think environmental scientists do? Do you think they just sit in offices reading each others' reports? You think environmental scientists aren't out in the field as often as they can be? Do you know nothing?

very slight regards,
    Scofflaw
    Where do you think scientist get their initial knowledge about bogs and the dangers about them? It call local knowledge. They add on top of that.

Scientist too get things very wrong. Science and technology is always evolving over time and always through painful steps. It a human trait to believe they are always right because they were educated that they have a doctorates, masters, etc. Look at many malpractice by Doctors over the last few decades and they have some of the Highest points from the leaving cert. Look at the economist all around the world who got the fundementals of the world economies badly wrong and they degraded anybody who questioned the facts. They too were highly educated and had many decades of experience in the field.

http://science.discovery.com/top-ten/2009/science-mistakes/science-mistakes.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7915

Only good/Great scientist and Engineers constantly question things. They Day they don't is the day I worry about scientific facts!

If I remember correctly she replied with the 1mm(?) per year growth of bogs.

Edited my post above after looking at RTE Player. She had no idea what his figures meant as they came at her out of the blue. Personally I think he was quoting figures relating to flora & fauna/biodiversity.

The issue is simple. He put out a statement, quoting the National Parks and Wildlife Service, that Lisnageara (sp?) Bog grew by 40% over 10 years and the scientist didn't correct it. She just sat there looking faintly bemused and when asked if it was possible for a bog to increase in size answered "No". Later she said she didn't understand where his figures came from. Surely it should have been very simple to debunk his statement and we wouldn't all be talking about bogs today?

What grew; the moss/heather or the depth of peat?

limklad wrote: »
    Where do you think scientist get their initial knowledge about bogs and the dangers about them? It call local knowledge. They add on top of that.

Scientist too get things very wrong. Science and technology is always evolving over time and always through painful steps. It a human trait to believe they are always right because they were educated that they have a doctorates, masters, etc. Look at many malpractice by Doctors over the last few decades and they have some of the Highest points from the leaving cert. Look at the economist all around the world who got the fundementals of the world economies badly wrong and they degraded anybody who questioned the facts. They too were highly educated and had many decades of experience in the field.

http://science.discovery.com/top-ten/2009/science-mistakes/science-mistakes.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7915

Only good/Great scientist and Engineers constantly question things. They Day they don't is the day I worry about scientific facts!

Are locals constantly measuring the depth of peat?
    Look at fishing all over the country, I bet plenty of locals thought you could keep catching salmon with no adverse effects on stocks!

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    What grew; the moss/heather or the depth of peat?

No idea - she should have asked / clarified.

Advertisement