Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG, Lab other support Stag Hunting

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder about the pattern of the opposition voting against the government no matter what. It doesn't make sense to me to vote against a bill purely and seemingly to spite the government. Had more of the FF TD's abstained or voted against the bill then it would have failed and effectively FG, Labour and the rest would be supporting Stag hunting. I'm assuming that that's not their actual position.

Even if the government had failed due to it's own TDs, it still would not have been something to bring it down so what's the point. Is it just some sort of game?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0629/hunting.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

a guy on the radio from RISE said that F.G. would rescind the stag hunting bill if and when they got into the next government.

personally, I really wish RISE would stop claiming to represent the wishes of all of rural Ireland :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

a guy on the radio from RISE said that F.G. would rescind the stag hunting bill if and when they got into the next government.

:confused: lost what little chance of getting my vote so.

I really do think they are just voting against the government for the sake of it. Thankfully the bill got through anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

:confused: lost what little chance of getting my vote so....

Be fair: ask FG if they would try to rescind the act (it will be an act whenever FG get into power) rather than take the word of a campaigner.

I was disappointed that opposition parties opposed the bill. They were playing political games rather than addressing the issue.

[I heard no report of what SF did. I presume they also came out in favour of using a pack of dogs to hunt down a farm animal.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

personally, I really wish RISE would stop claiming to represent the wishes of all of rural Ireland :mad:

If the guy from RISE is correct (which I doubt) will FG include the stag hunting bill in the programme for govt?

Wide Road wrote: »
    If the guy from RISE is correct (which I doubt) will FG include the stag hunting bill in the programme for govt?

don't know, but i hope it's not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Did Alan Shatter (former president of the Irish Council Against Blood Sports) vote against the bill? Very hypocritical of him if he did...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Sulmac wrote: »
    Did Alan Shatter (former president of the Irish Council Against Blood Sports) vote for the bill? Very hypocritical of him if he did...

Im trying to get in touch with his office to find out, but it hasnt been reported anwhere that he voted for the bill. What would be unbelivable hypocritical of him would be the fact iirc he lost the party whip before for voting to ban hare coursing.

Sulmac wrote: »
    Did Alan Shatter (former president of the Irish Council Against Blood Sports) vote for the bill? Very hypocritical of him if he did...

He must have voted against the bill. Again, why all the silence from Alan? I bet Liam Byrne can help clear this up for us. Also I bet someone here can get in contact with Liam Cahill of RISE to find out about the FG person saying they would overturn the stag hunting bill if in the next govt. I think he has a GAA forum. Someone might know him or use his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

the rise campaign has benn a great success in focusing the minds of all who support hunting,shooting,fishing all fieldsports.
    they have shown all the political parties that fieldsports voters can cost you or win you votes.
    if labour are serious about winning rural seats then they'll have to except that hunting and coursing are part of rural life and play a positve role both socially and economicly to villages and towns around ireland.
    the irony of all this is. that by forcing this ban on the one solitry stag hunt in ireland,gormley has nearly collapsed the government. imagine if he tried to ban fox hunting...there's hundreds of mounted/foot and beagle packs around ireland.
    he has also shown all other politcal parties that hunting is such a hot potato that its better left alone.
    gormley has caused so much shxt with this he'll have to grant major concessions on the dog breeding bill now,and that was of more concern to hunters around the country anyway.
    hunting will have a brighter future now thanks to john gormley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

the rise campaign has benn a great success in focusing the minds of all who support hunting,shooting,fishing all fieldsports.
    they have shown all the political parties that fieldsports voters can cost you or win you votes.
    if labour are serious about winning rural seats then they'll have to except that hunting and coursing are part of rural life and play a positve role both socially and economicly to villages and towns around ireland.
    the irony of all this is. that by forcing this ban on the one solitry stag hunt in ireland,gormley has nearly collapsed the government. imagine if he tried to ban fox hunting...there's hundreds of mounted/foot and beagle packs around ireland.
    he has also shown all other politcal parties that hunting is such a hot potato that its better left alone.
    gormley has caused so much shxt with this he'll have to grant major concessions on the dog breeding bill now,and that was of more concern to hunters around the country anyway.

Alcohol abuse and incest are part of rural life. It doesn't mean its acceptible or should be encouraged. Which is why every political party is opposed to it on paper.

• Advertisement

That spam is hilarious, it hasnt cost anybody and votes yet and when the next general election comes around id be surprised if it cost any politican circa 3%. What stag hunters dont seem to realize is that they are a very small minority in this country. But the only reason we hear about it is because you are very well funded.

You know as well as i do, country people have not and will not ever vote for labour like they've never voted for the greens. Also im sure your intelligent enough to realize that labour are playing the flip flop card on every decisive issue.

Youve another thing coming if you think gormley will grant major concessions on the breeding bill. He knows he is goosed at the next election anyway. The green party at this stage will awalk if the bills they dont want go through. If he does manage to pass more bills like this he will have succeded in implementing a green tint on the life of the goverment. Of which i feel his party will be happy with.

How did it nearly collapse a goverment? One ff td abstained from the vote????

well the greens have made this a political issue. ff and fg rural td's understand how this can cost or win votes. labour and sinn fein are learning it too.
    the greens will be extinct after the next election, fact. no other political party will touch this subject again...all thanks to gormley.
    i'll let him have his ward union scalp, he's ensured a long bright future for the rest of the hunting family.

What are the fieldsports that RISE are behind?

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    That spam is hilarious, it hasnt cost anybody and votes yet and when the next general election comes around id be surprised if it cost any politican circa 3%. What stag hunters dont seem to realize is that they are a very small minority in this country. But the only reason we hear about it is because you are very well funded.

You know as well as i do, country people have not and will not ever vote for labour like they've never voted for the greens. Also im sure your intelligent enough to realize that labour are playing the flip flop card on every decisive issue.

Youve another thing coming if you think gormley will grant major concessions on the breeding bill. He knows he is goosed at the next election anyway. The green party at this stage will awalk if the bills they dont want go through. If he does manage to pass more bills like this he will have succeded in implementing a green tint on the life of the goverment. Of which i feel his party will be happy with.

How did it nearly collapse a goverment? One ff td abstained from the vote????
    it lost support of 4 td's. it was the closest vote in yrs. it caused more shxt then nama. i'll bet my last hound that it'll be a long long time before any party tries to push something like this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

This vote has disgusted me. It was a series of U-Turns from all sides of the political divide

it lost support of 4 td's. it was the closest vote in yrs. it caused more shxt then nama. i'll bet my last hound that it'll be a long long time before any party tries to push something like this again.

I love how thats the only bit you reply to. What 4 ff tds, did it lose? Can you also name the tds that it gained?

Wide Road wrote: »
    What are the fieldsports that RISE are behind?

check their website. they have support of
    hai
    nargc
    coursing clubs
    falcanry clubs
    list is quite long. wish i could cut and paste but i can. maybe you can visit their site and post a list of their supporters.

well the greens have made this a political issue. ff and fg rural td's understand how this can cost or win votes. labour and sinn fein are learning it too.
    the greens will be extinct after the next election, fact. no other political party will touch this subject again...all thanks to gormley.
    i'll let him have his ward union scalp, he's ensured a long bright future for the rest of the hunting family.

The greens have made hunting a political issue? Well I never.... :rolleyes:

You seem to grossly overestimate your own importance here. This vote passed, 1 FF TD objected and this is the start of dragging your bogmen and your barbaric practices into the 20th, never mind the 21st century.

The idea that you got some form of victory last night is the spin of desperation.

Het-Field wrote: »
    This vote has disgusted me. It was a series of U-Turns from all sides of the political divide

I think ff has remained united on it to the biggest extent. However i am shocked at labour and possibly alan shatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Maybe we should Hunt labour, Sinn Fein and FG to see how they feel what its like with dogs chasing them.

That be a good sport:D

• Advertisement

I think ff has remained united on it to the biggest extent. However i am shocked at labour and possibly alan shatter.

And the recriminations will happen and you can be sure the Greens will get their way on the rest of this barbarism.

Very, very silly to think they won last night. All they have done was concentrate the minds of the whips.

Maybe we should Hunt labour, Sinn Fein and FG to see how they feel what its like with dogs chasing them.

That be a good sport:D

Did you not hear the fg whip yesterday " looks like the only hunting going on here will be the hunting of finna fail and green party tds" Dunce

And the recriminations will happen and you can be sure the Greens will get their way on the rest of this barbarism.

Very, very silly to think they won last night. All they have done was concentrate the minds of the whips.

How do you mean? Lets just get this straight one stag hunt has been banned.

The greens have made hunting a political issue? Well I never.... :rolleyes:

You seem to grossly overestimate your own importance here. This vote passed, 1 FF TD objected and this is the start of dragging your bogmen and your barbaric practices into the 20th, never mind the 21st century.

The idea that you got some form of victory last night is the spin of desperation.

the greens are gone, who'll go after hunting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How do you mean? Lets just get this straight one stag hunt has been banned.

Let's get it even more straight: one form of hunting has been banned. It happens that there was only one hunt that indulged in this activity. It is not now open for some group to set up a similar hunt in Galway or Waterford or somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The official report of the Dáil shows that Shatter voted against the Bill, FYI!

I love how thats the only bit you reply to. What 4 ff tds, did it lose? Can you also name the tds that it gained?

this bill caused more trouble for ff then nama ffs!
    ff backbenchers will shaft gormley every chance they get now.
    o rourke stood up and told him his ramblings in the countryside must end now.
    make no mistake the ripples of this will be felt for a while yet.

the greens are gone, who'll go after hunting now?

Labour, theyve been against it for the i dont know how long. Can you guess who made this statement about hare coursing??
    I unfortunately cannot attend this rally. But on behalf of myself and the Labour Party I want to express my full and unequivocal support for the banning of hare coursing in Ireland and throughout the European Community.

It is a travesty that hare coursing is referred to as “a sport”. It is a sadistic, cruel and barbarous activity and it is a discredit to our society that such activities remain legal. The vast majority of Irish people want this activity banned and the Labour Party commits itself to working with any other political party in Dail Eireann to bring about an end to hare coursing and other so-called field sports.

It is imperative that the Irish Council Against Blood Sports continue their campaign and that people highlight in the media the barbarity of this activity. Only through a campaign of protest can we bring enough pressure on the Government and political parties to ban hare coursing.

I wish this and future protests every possible success. Again, on behalf of the Labour Party, we will assist this campaign in every way possible.

End of Statement

this is the start of dragging your bogmen and your barbaric practices into the 20th, never mind the 21st century.

Don't be fooled into thinking that RISE are in any way indicative of rural views. From the get go, they've tried to spin this into a city/country divide. Feckall people really take part in hunting compared to the people who don't. I dislike this government, but credit where credit is due...I only wist they could have gotten rid of fox hunting too.

• Advertisement

well i feel that will change now. one of the most vocal supporters of hunting during the debate was a labour td, pendergast i think was his name.
    labour want rural seats???then they must accept rural ways.
    and they are. rise has done alot in this regard. they've shown labour that hunters and shooters arent some sort of rural elite but ordinary working class country folk.
    they voted against the bill!!

Advertisement