Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum(s)

Options
  • 18-06-2010 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

This is an intelligent post (I think...) and therefore I don't want any impatient emotional responses.

I got my new passport today and loved seeing the emblem of Ireland on its cover - i.e. the harp. We are the only nation on Earth to have a musical instrument as our national emblem. I am of the opinion that we should change our flag to the 'old' golden harp image on a dark-green background. Our current flag is too normal.

Also, I would like to have Irish as our only primary language, and English as secondary.

I think it would be very interesting to see how the public vote on these two issues.

Kevin

PS - If you look at my location you'll see that i'm in the UK. I just moved here last August, and I knew beforehand that I would have to leave Ireland in order to grow to love it more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No and No. How's that for a vote?

Having a harp is really not that unique as a national emblem tbh, other countries have animals, objects and mythological creatures etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The flag idea isn't actually a bad one IMO, just with a bit of tweaking. How about the tricolour with a harp in the middle of the white section? That would instantly make the flag recognisable among the two (3?) similar flags which are out there.

As for making Irish the primary language of the State, that would have a whole pile of ramifications in terms of broadcasting, publishing, law, road signage, etc. Besides that, there is a strong dislike of Irish within the public because of the way that it's taught in school. I think we like the idea of our Irish identity and most of us would love to be able to speak Irish, but the process of being force-fed Irish in school means that we associate it with bad feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

On the flag issue my only objection would be practical - the cost of such a move would be quite an unaffordable luxury at this point. Idealistically, you might find that many would oppose the move as it could be seen to be an acceptabce of the fact that the north is a separate sovereign state - as without the orange in the tricolour we'd be broadcasting that this was a republican state.

The second I'd be both idealogically and practically opposed to. I don't accept the argument that Gaeilge is the language of our people. There's quite a heated debate on whether it should receive the current level of state support it has in a topic on it's compulsory status in education on this forum at the moment, I can't see the idea of increased status and governmental support for the language being either popular outside of a minority of the electorate, affordable at any point or in any way a positive in promoting our country on the world-stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I am of the opinion that we should change our flag to the 'old' golden harp image on a dark-green background

A bit of research show this is the flag of Leinster, not Ireland per say. Though it was used as the Irish flag for a while.

Therefore it would be incorrect to use it I think.

As for the Irish bit, not likely. If this was voted for there would be a huge majority rejecting it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

seamus wrote: »
    The flag idea isn't actually a bad one IMO, just with a bit of tweaking. How about the tricolour with a harp in the middle of the white section?

On the ball! This occured to me awhile back for some reason - was prob daydreaming :D

And how about the flag is changed in 6 years time at the 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Changing the flag might not be a bad idea but I don't think it would necessarily be something to do in the short term. It would definitely be something to look at when re-unification with the North occurs. I do not think changing priorities towards Irish away from English is practical though, as other posters have said it actually gives us an advantage compared to a lot of other countries who do not have it as their main first language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I don't really see a need to change the emblem. As for the language, I've been to most countries in Europe and it is quite easy to get by using English, I can't see that being the case with Irish. I doubt you could get by in Dublin using Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

The president already uses a similar flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_President_of_Ireland.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm well in favour of having the Flag of Leinster as the national flag. I have a copy of it hanging in my room. Always thought it was much classier looking than the tricolour as well as much more recognisable. It was used as the Irish flag before the tricolour too so wouldn't see it as impractical or solely to do with Leinster.

• Advertisement

200px-St_Patrick%27s_saltire.svg.png

how about this one?

It doesn't look as awesome.

I find the Leinster flag to look amazing. Really stirring stuff.
    The United Irishmen used it (a mix of Protestants and Catholics united) so it has historical background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

how about this one?

Have we just been voted out of Britains Got Talent by Piers Morgan?

It doesn't look as awesome.

I find the Leinster flag to look amazing. Really stirring stuff.

its plain green with a musical instrument on it, hardly "awesome"
    Have we just been voted out of Britains Got Talent by Piers Morgan?

it is another old Irish flag

its plain green with a musical instrument on it, hardly "awesome"
    Yes, which gives it a much more striking look than three bands of colour. Also means it's much less likely to be mistaken for the Côte D'Ivoir flag.

It also has a more Irish-centered historical base rather than a basing on the French Tricolour.

Yes, which gives it a much more striking look than three bands of colour. Also means it's much less likely to be mistaken for the Côte D'Ivoir flag.

it would then get mixed up with Libya though :p

200px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png

Crafty Libyans...

Harp helps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Really? Two people on thread didn't recognise the cross of St. Patrick?
    Words fail me.

Anyway, my only problem with the green flag with golden harp is that it is the flag of Leinster. We should have a flag representing all four provinces.

Personally I have always liked this:
    500px-Four_Provinces_Flag.svg.png

it would then get mixed up with Libya though :p

200px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png

If we are looking for meaningful and unique flags unlikely to be confused with another country then we may as well tell it like it is

2822451985_a0d25b3e96.jpg

I actually like our flag, it symbolises our stuggle for independence and our desire for lasting peace and multiculturalism
    The flag, as a whole, is intended to symbolise the inclusion and hoped-for union of the people of different traditions on the island of Ireland, which is expressed in the Constitution as the entitlement of every person born in Ireland to be part of the independent Irish nation, regardless of ethnic origin, religion or political conviction.[23][24]

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Really? Two people on thread didn't recognise the cross of St. Patrick?
    Words fail me.

If you think I didnt recognise it, I did, I was merely making a joke about having a big red X as our flag. This old Irish flag makes up part of the Union flag of Britain

• Advertisement

Anyway, my only problem with the green flag with golden harp is that it is the flag of Leinster. We should have a flag representing all four provinces.

Personally I have always liked this:
    500px-Four_Provinces_Flag.svg.png

How many different coloured crayons would a child need to draw that complicated yoke? Personally I like the simplicity and sentiment our current tricolour has

If you think I didnt recognise it, I did, I was merely making a joke about having a big red X as our flag. This old Irish flag makes up part of the Union flag of Britain
    Oh ok.

And I know. ;)

How many different coloured crayons would a child need to draw that complicated yoke? Personally I like the simplicity and sentiment our current tricolour has
    Yeah but it's too simple. Also what does it matter if children can't draw it? I'd like to see any child draw the American flag.

Yeah but it's too simple. Also what does it matter if children can't draw it? I'd like to see any child draw the American flag.
    cfi08.jpg

gleason06.jpg

They can actually draw it

AND it only requires two colours

They can actually draw it

AND it only requires two colours
    They haven't drawn it though. There are supposed to be fifty stars and thirteen alternating red and white strips. So they can't draw it.

They haven't drawn it though. There are supposed to be fifty stars and thirteen alternating red and white strips. So they can't draw it.

Ah come on, give them a break, they're only kids!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The current flag (despite being incorrectly described all over the place as "green white and gold") is green, white and orange, symbolising peace (white) between green ("native Irishmen" ?) and orange (orangemen).

So that should stay.

I definitely wouldn't be on for using the Leinster flag to represent the whole country.

How about this one for an "exactly what it says on the tin" flag ?

117327.jpg

Pretty much what he said.
    I'd say everyone recognised it, just that there's better alternative flags out there (I prefer the tricolour to St Patrick's Cross)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I think the Irish flag is fine as it is so I would be against changing it unless someone had a good reason for doing so.

The national anthem is in Irish and many people can't sing it because the don't know the words, also only a small minority of people who know the words actually know the meaning of the words.

I think something like Ireland's Call would be better, either way I would like the anthem to be sung in English so that everyone could have a chance of learning it.

• Advertisement

I think something like Ireland's Call would be better, either way I would like the anthem to be sung in English so that everyone could have a chance of learning it.
    Eww, please tell me you're joking. We would be an international laughing stock.

Advertisement