Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christie Mc Manus Memorial Saturday 12/06/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Nice day out but not a patch on the Hammond Memorial.

In what way was it not a patch on NH? The circuit or the race itself or something else ?

Could be considered a quite condescending and trite comment to the organisers who I gather put alot of work into it or indeed any riders who got a decent result and had to "suffer" - perish the thought in a bike race !! I am sure if you suffered you would have won it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

In what way was it not a patch on NH? The circuit or the race itself or something else ?

Could be considered a quite condescending and trite comment to the organisers who I gather put alot of work into it or indeed any riders who got a decent result and had to "suffer" - perish the thought in a bike race !! I am sure if you suffered you would have won it :)
    ok, then:. All races are equally as good as each other, this one included. Is that what you wanted to hear?

ok, then:. All races are equally as good as each other, this one included. Is that what you wanted to hear?

No

Perhaps explain why it's not a patch on the NH !??!

Well Diarmuid anything to say for yourself or are you just going to leave people wondering if you were slagging off race organisers who went to the bother of providing guys like you with a race to complain about after?

if you were slagging off race organisers who went to the bother of providing guys like you with a race to complain about after?
    slagging off race organisers? Please quote where I did that or else apologise for putting words in my mouth

slagging off race organisers? Please quote where I did that or else apologise for putting words in my mouth

At the risk of repeating myself I am wondering what you meant by saying it wasn't a patch on the NE.

You could have only meant the race organisation or the race itself? Or perhaps you could clarify am I missing something?

What else could 'not be a patch'?

The quality of a race is determined by its riders.

I was posing a question above.

If I knew what the 'words from your mouth' meant exactly in your previous posts I would then be in a position to apologise or otherwise. Perhaps you could clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

<- valid question ->

<- usual trolling stuff ->

I was posing a question above.
    if you had just posed the question he would have answered it. Try not troll as part of the post, works wonders for better replies.

If I knew what the 'words from your mouth' meant exactly in your previous posts I would then be in a position to apologise or otherwise. Perhaps you could clarify.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=put+words+into+mouth
    I'm awaiting your apology.

Sure once Diarmuid clarifies what was 'not a patch' then all subsequent stuff can be reconsidered.

Some people may have determined his original 'not a patch' comment as trolling.

I suspect you guys are more concerned with the sensitivities of each other here than with those of others.

Sure once Diarmuid clarifies what was 'not a patch' then all subsequent stuff can be reconsidered.
    To be honest if i was him, i wouldn't bother replying to you.
    Some people may have determined his original 'not a patch' comment as trolling.
    Who? he never suggested something was wrong with the race? he just said another race was better. I've been in races which were better than others,hardly shocking now is it?
    I suspect you guys are more concerned with the sensitivities of each other here than with those of others.

if the race organisers were worried about his thoughts i'm sure they could post and ask. Generally its nice to be civil in your posts Bob. Hardly much to ask?

And you still haven't apologised to him.

• Advertisement

Soooooooooooooo off topic

In any case can't apolgise at this stage as don't see it appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

It was the same for all to be honest. That setup (A4's,gap,A4's,gap,A2s) seems to kill any enthusiam. What's the point in attacking in the A4's, to get 30 seconds off the front for 20k, kill yourself and then have the A3's haul the rest of the A4 bunch back up to you?

:D Yes... I was the fool on the first lap. Thought I might as well try something. Was hoping for a few other to come across but as you say, in handicap races, there's not many that will try.

Soooooooooooooo off topic

In any case can't apolgise at this stage as don't see it appropriate

you put words in his mouth, then denied it, now are calling it off topic when you see you were in the wrong? It would have taken less words of off topicness to apologise than that.

It looked promising, three strong riders and me. However it went nowhere. Didn't work effectively together.

I thought we were working ok, just that A4 bunch seems to like to chase for the sake of it & and then sit up. Going on the flat section probably wasn't the best idea...

Next time....;)

giannip wrote: »
    I thought we were working ok, just that A4 bunch seems to like to chase for the sake of it & and then sit up. Going on the flat section probably wasn't the best idea...

Next time....;)

helped getting a good workout at least i imagine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

handbags away please.

giannip wrote: »
    yeah but I guess that's just the dynamics of the A4's. (ie beginners)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Del1888

have to agree with bob about diarmuid comment it came across to me as negative element towards the race! maybe ur an orwell rider and want express credit for ur own event!

Meh

Who? he never suggested something was wrong with the race? he just said another race was better. I've been in races which were better than others,hardly shocking now is it?

I am wondering about his context in this instance, he has since done everything subsequently to avoid answering the question - is he an advisor to Brian Cowen by any chance?

if the race organisers were worried about his thoughts i'm sure they could post and ask. Generally its nice to be civil in your posts Bob. Hardly much to ask?

I am being civil imho - do you want to know what I really think? :)

Correcto mundo

you put words in his mouth, then denied it, now are calling it off topic when you see you were in the wrong? It would have taken less words of off topicness to apologise than that.

imho - I didnt actually put words in his mouth - I posed a question

It is off topic - He was talking about a race and I asked him about his comment - he didnt clarify his comment

• Advertisement

Del1888 wrote: »
    have to agree with bob about diarmuid comment it came across to me as negative element towards the race! maybe ur an orwell rider and want express credit for ur own event!

Race was well organised, I never made any complaints about it, I just said that I found the NH a better race. It was more challenging and all the categories raced separately. And I am an Orwell rider but that's irrelevant to my opinion of the two races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

As a Comittee member of Bray Wheelers, I think Diarmuid is entitled to his opinion. If he thinks another race was better than our one, then that's his perogative. All in all it was a very successfully ran race with no incident, apart from the girl from UCD who had a little tumble and cracked her forks.The weather was perfect, the numbers were good,and the racing was good.
    Speaking for myself given the above, I'm not going to lose any sleep about the grumblings of one rider, whom, as I have said, is ENTITLED to his opinion.

Race was well organised, I never made any complaints about it, I just said that I found the NH a better race. It was more challenging and all the categories raced separately. And I am an Orwell rider but that's irrelevant to my opinion of the two races

Challenging as in the course or the competition (ie the riders)?

Sometimes handicap races can be better races in my opinion - gives riders an opportunity to mix it with higher categories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

uberwolf wrote: »
    handbags away please.
    Correcto mundo
    imho - I didnt actually put words in his mouth - I posed a question

It is off topic - He was talking about a race and I asked him about his comment - he didnt clarify his comment

stop the needless bickering. Your original question was fine, but for everyone's sake could you just leave it at that. (rhetorical btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If I may, and I'm not trolling. I was racing with Diarmuid that day and I know what he means. It was a mixed bag from Bray Wheelers in a very well run event. I'll break it down:

1) The update on the website never came. Despite xz doing his best there seemed to be some confusion regarding the overall layout of the race. I only found out on the start line it would be a 77km race.

In fairness to Bray Wheelers, they don't know how many are going to show up on the day.

2) No separate races, or at least no confirmation as to whether or not they would be separate until "on the day". This echoes the above. IMHO, a lot of the roads we were on were not suited to a handicapped race. There was one or two moments where cars were not called (nearly had a run in with a jeep).

Back to credit for Bray, it was spectacularly marshalled and supported. Having lead cars and a Garda lead car really helped. I think it could have been messier without the Garda jeep at the front.

It was a good race, the course wasn't to my liking and I think Diarmuid felt the same. Despite his excellent performance, a long drag like NH suits his riding style better than a flat course with some sharp digs. A "climber" can't really get away like they might on the NH.

Why bob decided to distort this into Diarmuid making a belittling comment towards BW is beyond me (but not out of character with his usual posts). Like xz says, he is entitled to his opinion. I had a crap race, I'll look for any excuse but in general I like to know details before I ride out. If anything I hope that can be viewed as constructive criticism to an event that was a great way to spend a saturday morning.

helped getting a good workout at least i imagine! :)

Exactly my intention :D

Del1888 wrote: »

Funny, I took it as if he enjoyed the other race because the course suited him. Didn't take it as negative, just that prefers apples to oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

There was a lack of information on the Bray website regarding this race, in fact, NO information apart from the Time and date. This is an oversight that will be looked into and corrected for future Bray Wheelers events.

xz wrote: »
    As a Comittee member of Bray Wheelers, I think Diarmuid is entitled to his opinion. If he thinks another race was better than our one, then that's his perogative. All in all it was a very successfully ran race with no incident, apart from the girl from UCD who had a little tumble and cracked her forks.The weather was perfect, the numbers were good,and the racing was good.
    Speaking for myself given the above, I'm not going to lose any sleep about the grumblings of one rider, whom, as I have said, is ENTITLED to his opinion.

I don't think he was grumbling.

Firstly, thanks for organising the race.

The weather was awesome (last year was MAD!) and def a good turnout.

MY only "grumble" would be that it was only announced as a handicap at the last minute. It seems to defeat the purpose of the new system.

It also tends to stifle any racing as people tend to give up & wait for the faster group.

Having said that, the A2 group didn't seem too inclined to race either once they caught everyone.....

Again, congrats on the race & see you next year, hopefully!

• Advertisement

How did anyone ever race before that internet and the proliferation of such information ? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement