Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin office pipe-bombed.

Options
  • 30-05-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

A Sinn Féin office in Down was pipe-bombed on Friday. It has been claimed by a local loyalist group, which have vandelised Irish language street signs over the past few months. This is clearly an attack on those who wish to move forward with devoution and the peace process.

The pipe bomb only partially exploded - but the Office itself is right next to an Oil heating business and near a school. Luckily, it didn't go off fully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Loyalist animals still at it:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well, thats all bad but is it anything equal to the amount of regular bombs that the ira do, sure didn't they bomb a police station in derry like this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

these type of people are small time, you'd probably get more powerful explosives from the travellers around Halloween

owenc wrote: »
    Well, thats all bad but is it anything equal to the amount of regular bombs that the ira do, sure didn't they bomb a police station in derry like this week?

yeah lets talk about the Irish side instead
    :rolleyes:

PomBear wrote: »
    these type of people are small time, you'd probably get more powerful explosives from the travellers around Halloween

i'm sure you would!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    yeah lets talk about the Irish side instead
    :rolleyes:

I'm just saying the ira nearly have a bomb every week, they have a bomb like once a year or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, they IRA did not bomb a police station in Derry. The IRA is decommissioned. The Splinter groups that engage in attacks are also a threat to the peace process. I don't disagree with you on that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Surely if one is worth condemning then they all are. Nothing like back handedly giving approval to something and deflecting to possible justification is there?

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, they IRA did not bomb a police station in Derry. The IRA is decommissioned. The Splinter groups that engage in attacks are also a threat to the peace process. I don't disagree with you on that point.

Well then who put the so called bomb there then. Think about it all the attacks are done through them no one else cares.

Well then who put the so called bomb there then. Think about it all the attacks are done through them no one else cares.

Owen, the IRA is decommissioned. They no longer operate. The RIRA and CIRA are still active. They are not the IRA. I hope this is clear. Is there any chance you might condemn this pipe-bombing of a political office, instead of alleviating blame, by pointing out that attacks made by dissident republicans (which have nothing to do with Sinn Féin) occur?

• Advertisement

dlofnep its pointless posting that news in this loyalist forum. They dont like reading stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Any link to a news article on this? Or did the Ira Sinn féin not report it to the psni?

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Any link to a news article on this? Or did the Ira seinn féin not report it to the psni?

It's "Sinn Féin".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10182725.stm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0528/breaking38.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thanks and where in the articles say that It was claimed by loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

A Sinn Féin office in Down was pipe-bombed on Friday. It has been claimed by a local loyalist group,

I dont usually have sympathy for Sinn Fein but this was an attack on the democratic process and all sides must deplore it. I would not be a good SDLP man if I did not offer the people working in the SF office my support.

Some may see it as Karma, but I look forward as best I can. So I hope this is only a small incident and will not evolve into something bigger

Also we dont know who did it, It may be a local person who did not get planning permission or some bad advice from Sinn Fein

Winty wrote: »
    Also we dont know who did it, It may be a local person who did not get planning permission or some bad advice from Sinn Fein

I was informed first-hand that it was a local loyalist group. At first, I assumed it was dissident republicans to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I was informed first-hand that it was a local loyalist group. At first, I assumed it was dissident republicans to be honest.

I would believe it was a local mob, we still have little pockets of thugs across the province, most are just long term unemployed with a grudge not any political or social intelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A Sinn Féin office in Down was pipe-bombed on Friday. It has been claimed by a local loyalist group, which have vandelised Irish language street signs over the past few months.

Irish language street signs in Northern Ireland? are they legal?

Only asking.

Camelot wrote: »

Only asking.

Yes, they are legal. The community has to approach the local council with X amount of signatures demonstrating support. If you go to Falls or other strong nationalist areas, you'll see most of the signs in Irish. Infact, to be honest - the Irish language (outside of the gaeltacht) is strongest in the North with respect to the urban population. Anytime I'm north, I always bump into someone who I can speak Irish with. And I'm not talking a cúpla focal either.

Curious however that your first question was to ask whether or not Irish street signs are legal, rather condemning those responsible for the attack. Just an observation. :)

Camelot wrote: »

Only asking.

Yes you do get them in very nationalist areas even in north east antrim!!! (very nationalist there) Though if your talking about irish road signs then no theres no need for them and its a waste of money.

• Advertisement

sinn fien bombed people?! Another reason not to vote for them and another reason for proof that they are terrorists.

sinn fien bombed people?! Another reason not to vote for them and another reason for proof that they are terrorists.

Owen, you completely got the wrong end of my last post. Either you condemn all attacks or you condemn none. What your essentially saying is that this attack was fine because SF supported the IRA in the past.

karma_ wrote: »
    Owen, you completely got the wrong end of my last post. Either you condemn all attacks or you condemn none. What your essentially saying is that this attack was fine because SF supported the IRA in the past.

No i was saying how surprised i was because sien fien (or whatever) bombed someone, now if they are a political party that should NOT happen. I can't believe that one of their politicians actually went out and did that, its an utter disgrace!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 derek1974

nice to see shoe on other foot for a change....see how ira/sinn fein like a taster of what they dished out for years not to mention the missing bodies they can't remember where they dumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

derek1974 wrote: »
    nice to see shoe on other foot for a change....see how ira/sinn fein like a taster of what they dished out for years not to mention the missing bodies they can't remember where they dumped

Following on that logic, shouldn't the French and British still be bombing Germany?

Nodin wrote: »
    Following on that logic, shouldn't the French and British still be bombing Germany?

Obvious troll tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

True. As ever I failed to heed my own advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've no doubt there are still loyalists out there capable of this, but let's face it, nothing is going to get the bhoys digging out their old armalite quicker than thinking the loyalists are starting up again, so I doubt the C/R IRA are too upset about this.

No i was saying how surprised i was because sien fien (or whatever) bombed someone, now if they are a political party that should NOT happen. I can't believe that one of their politicians actually went out and did that, its an utter disgrace!! :eek::eek::eek:

Owen, have you read anything in this thread?

A loyalist group in Down threw a pipe-bomb in a Sinn Féin office. Now, can you condemn this act or is it beyond your ability?

• Advertisement

I've no doubt there are still loyalists out there capable of this, but let's face it, nothing is going to get the bhoys digging out their old armalite quicker than thinking the loyalists are starting up again, so I doubt the C/R IRA are too upset about this.

I tend to agree with you. But I don't think that the CIRA or RIRA is going to launch an attack in defense of Sinn Féin. Their supporters probably dislike SF more than unionists.

Advertisement