Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are you voting for and why ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Rather naively I will be voting for the person in my constituency rather than the party. I will sit down examine what they will bring to my area and secondly what their party will bring to the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Rather naively I will be voting for the person in my constituency rather than the party. I will sit down examine what they will bring to my area and secondly what their party will bring to the country.
    This is what local elections are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Fine Gael for me. Not the biggest fan of Enda Kenny but quite impressed with the ideas they have put forward, especially what they intend to do with health. I also like the idea of having a Minister for Finance who is educated in Economics, rather than the present Barrister we have. As I said I am not a big fan of Enda Kenny but I think Fine Gael have a very strong and enthusiastic front bench. I woukld consider myself to have a Green philosophy but I am counting the days until the destruction of this Green party. They have been a disgrace and the electorate will let them know how much of a disgrace they have been. I hope they have enjoyed this experience in bed with the dreaded Fianna Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

SF for me

Need a new approach to economy, they're tagged as 'economic illiterates' yet if you look at their last few pre budget submissions, they've a fresher, stronger approach than those who call them it. Greens and Labour have never shown any balls in government and sheerly a coalition party. FF-not a hope in hell. FG-Same as FF (in reason and in practice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

PomBear wrote: »
    SF for me

Need a new approach to economy, they're tagged as 'economic illiterates' yet if you look at their last few pre budget submissions, they've a fresher, stronger approach than those who call them it. Greens and Labour have never shown any balls in government and sheerly a coalition party. FF-not a hope in hell. FG-Same as FF (in reason and in practice).

Your concerned about the economy, so you'll vote for a party that has no chance of implimenting their economic policy?

I can think of reasons to vote SF if your that way inclined, but economics wouldn't be one of them.

But each to their own.

• Advertisement

danman wrote: »
    Your concerned about the economy, so you'll vote for a party that has no chance of implimenting their economic policy?

I can think of reasons to vote SF if your that way inclined, but economics wouldn't be one of them.

But each to their own.

I'll be voting for them because I believe in their economic policy and I don't know of a SF TD/Counciller that has failed the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hi ,moving on from the thread about who voted for fianna fail ,just wondering who people are going to vote for this time and why ?

I can see myself voting for the greens and labour.
    The greens seem to be able to get on with projects and invest in things without the need for explanation ,like other parties might have to. I believe we need to take chances on things like energy and job creation ,make some mistakes and also create a better economy/envoirnment.
    Labour also gets my vote ,becuase they seem to have education and arts as part of their generating a better society and hopefully economy. Ireland should be looking for a specific quality that we have in abundance and help it to flourish. I believe that education and the arts are a strong part of that.

Thats my view.
    THEYRE ALL A SHOWER OF INCOMPETENT GREEDY MONGRELS.Just my own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    THEYRE ALL A SHOWER OF INCOMPETENT GREEDY MONGRELS.Just my own opinion.

Ah well ,all in the name of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

2. Policies, Labour have the best policies out of any of the parties

Perhaps you might address my concerns that Labour party policy will only prolong the recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 MysNthR0p3

This post has been deleted.

The best option for economic recovery is a party that pays attention to the economists they beg to stand for election on their behalf. So FG ain't it.

Unfortunately, the state of our current system, its a case of which brand of centrist incompetents do you want screwing you over and ruining the country for the next 5 years, if they make it that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sinn Fein, I'll say no more.

I'm interested in that, given that many of the reasons you've cited for supporting Labour, are also Sinn Féin policies.
    they are focused on jobs, creating jobs for those who have none and maintaining the jobs that are currently there

Sinn Féin are also focused on job creation, through a job stimulus package. Guess who also pressed for a job stimulus package to get people back to work? That's right, Labour.
    Labour have revived their 2000 healthcare document called curing our ills. This will give everyone universal health insurance.

Sinn Féin are also supportive of universal health insurance, believing that healthcare is a basic right of the people.
    Labour are also opposed to third level fees, unlike every other party.

Sinn Féin are also opposed to third level fees, and believe that access to third-level education should be accessible by all.

Now whether you like Sinn Féin or not, that's an entirely different story. But I find it a little weak to make such a statement, and then use the examples that you've given.

Back to the original question - I would vote for Sinn Féin. There's no mystery as to why. All Sinn Féin councillors or TD's I've ever interacted with have worked hard on my behalf, without a bat of an eye. They are an average industrial wage and the rest goes back into the party (Even TD's). This shows me that unlike some, they are not in it for the paycheck alone.

They have policies that I feel Ireland needs, which benefits the most vulnerable in society. Those from disadvantaged backgrounds need state assistance, whether it be for healthcare - or attempting to try and better their position by going to college. Some other posters firmly believe that we shouldn't subsidise people going to college - but I disagree.

Sinn Féin works from a bottom-up approach. Most councillors and activists come from working class backgrounds, so they all know what it is to endure hardship. It's very easy for some wealthy politician to tell us what's best for us - but when you've grown up knowing struggle - you have a different outlook on how important state support is in aiding people to break out of hardship and progress further in life.

Sinn Féin is active on the social equality scene - engaging in many protests for gay & lesbian equality, anti-racism marches and so forth. Having been active within Sinn Féin circles - I know that people are genuinely supportive of the Gay & Lesbian community.

Sinn Féin has worked hard in working class estates, on anti-drugs campaigns. They have worked hard in the inner cities on highlighting the issue of homelessness.

To me - they are a party that is full of hard-working people, who are willing to do whatever they can to help. The Thatcherite politics that other people want to see to clean up Ireland will only increase the levels of poverty and inequality, as seen in 1980's Britain. The figures don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am very impressed with Labour and Eamonn Gilmore lately and i am giving real consideration to voting labour but before i can do so i must know their position on abortion as i cannot bring myself to support a pro-abortion party.

I am very impressed with Labour and Eamonn Gilmore lately and i am giving real consideration to voting labour but before i can do so i must know their position on abortion as i cannot bring myself to support a pro-abortion party.

The party policy is to support abortions where there is a risk to the life or health of the mother, or where there is a foetal abnormality that means the foetus would be stillborn.

This is also Sinn Féin's policy.

Fine Gael, who will most likely be Labour's coalition party are staunchly pro-life so voting for Labour won't get a pro-choice government in place i'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm going to vote for FG in the next election and voted for them in last years councils and I voted for them in '07 General Election also.

I was screaming to people about the imminent crash in 2007 and to vote out FF and I was told the country was booming and we never had it so good. The average house price was supposed to rise to €800k by 2010 if I recall from douchebag writing in the Sunday Indo or SBP. Actaully it was just aswell FG failed to make it in 2007 as they would get all the blame and as it stands if they have any bit of luck they can shaft FF and Gilmore and the other smoked salmons by getting an overall majority.

An FG majority would set us up nicely for recovery and help kill off the FF culture in Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

MysNthR0p3 wrote: »
    The best option for economic recovery is a party that pays attention to the economists they beg to stand for election on their behalf. So FG ain't it.

"ITS MY BALL AND I'M TAKING IT HOME!"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm interested in that, given that many of the reasons you've cited for supporting Labour, are also Sinn Féin policies.

Sinn Féin are also focused on job creation, through a job stimulus package. Guess who also pressed for a job stimulus package to get people back to work? That's right, Labour.

Sinn Féin are also supportive of universal health insurance, believing that healthcare is a basic right of the people.

Sinn Féin are also opposed to third level fees, and believe that access to third-level education should be accessible by all.

Now whether you like Sinn Féin or not, that's an entirely different story. But I find it a little weak to make such a statement, and then use the examples that you've given.

Back to the original question - I would vote for Sinn Féin. There's no mystery as to why. All Sinn Féin councillors or TD's I've ever interacted with have worked hard on my behalf, without a bat of an eye. They are an average industrial wage and the rest goes back into the party (Even TD's). This shows me that unlike some, they are not in it for the paycheck alone.

They have policies that I feel Ireland needs, which benefits the most vulnerable in society. Those from disadvantaged backgrounds need state assistance, whether it be for healthcare - or attempting to try and better their position by going to college. Some other posters firmly believe that we shouldn't subsidise people going to college - but I disagree.

Sinn Féin works from a bottom-up approach. Most councillors and activists come from working class backgrounds, so they all know what it is to endure hardship. It's very easy for some wealthy politician to tell us what's best for us - but when you've grown up knowing struggle - you have a different outlook on how important state support is in aiding people to break out of hardship and progress further in life.

Sinn Féin is active on the social equality scene - engaging in many protests for gay & lesbian equality, anti-racism marches and so forth. Having been active within Sinn Féin circles - I know that people are genuinely supportive of the Gay & Lesbian community.

Sinn Féin has worked hard in working class estates, on anti-drugs campaigns. They have worked hard in the inner cities on highlighting the issue of homelessness.

To me - they are a party that is full of hard-working people, who are willing to do whatever they can to help. The Thatcherite politics that other people want to see to clean up Ireland will only increase the levels of poverty and inequality, as seen in 1980's Britain. The figures don't lie.

gerry_80848t.jpg

That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Sinn Féin Party.

gerry_80848t.jpg

Just giving my two cents, like everybody else on this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

gerry_80848t.jpg

It was a bit of a party political broadcast. He also failed to mention the savage cuts that Sinn Fein have brought in in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein are a bunch of me feiners like Fianna Fail.

It was a bit of a party political broadcast. He also failed to mention the savage cuts that Sinn Fein have brought in in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein are a bunch of me feiners like Fianna Fail.

What cuts have Sinn Féin brought in?

I see you've refused to acknowledge my corrections of your post.

• Advertisement

What cuts have Sinn Féin brought in?

I see you've refused to acknowledge my corrections of your post.

You corrected nothing in my post. Its the same old story that I hear off my Sinn Fein acquaintances that Labour is copying Sinn Fein. The truth is its the other way around. Remember that Labour made 3rd level free in this country and are the only party with a chance to form a government that oppose it.

Sinn Fein have slashed and burned up in Northern Ireland. They are also reliant on handouts from Britain to sustain a public service that amounts to 2/3 of the economy. Hardly the best economic policies to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I'll be voting for Labour. Although I disagree with their economic policies, I expet FG to get into power and I would like to see Labour join with them. I am voting for Labour simply because of their Socially Progressive Policies.

You corrected nothing in my post.

Actually, I did. You claimed that Labour was the only party to oppose third level fees. This is untrue, as Sinn Féin also oppose fees and have actively campaigned against them - at upper levels and lower levels.
    Its the same old story that I hear off my Sinn Fein acquaintances that Labour is copying Sinn Fein.

Nobody stated that Labour is copying Sinn Féin. Both are parties that lay on the left, and as such - many of their policies will be similar.
    The truth is its the other way around.

That's incorrect. I assure you, Sinn Féin doesn't look towards Labour for policies.
    Which is more likely - Two parties sharing similar policies because they are both on the left, or one copying another? Occam's razor.
    Remember that Labour made 3rd level free in this country and are the only party with a chance to form a government that oppose it.

That is not the point that you made. You stated that Labour are the only party that oppose third level fees. I corrected you when I stated that they were not. Infact, Sinn Féin isn't even the only other party that oppose them. Pretty much every party on the left oppose third-level fees. Your attempt to portray Labour as having unique policies is entirely fictitious.
    Sinn Fein have slashed and burned up in Northern Ireland.

Sorry - I asked you exactly what cuts Sinn Féin have implemented. Your answer should be fun. I already know the reason why it should be fun, as I expect most educated people on this forum do. So do me the liberty of naming cuts Sinn Féin have implemented.
    They are also reliant on handouts from Britain to sustain a public service that amounts to 2/3 of the economy. Hardly the best economic policies to pursue.

And the distinguished gentleman demonstrates further ignorance. Sinn Féin wants to remove the public sector dependencies by reducing corporate tax, allowing more local businesses to get up off the ground and to invest in green technology, to create jobs outside of the public sector. You've really no idea what you are talking about. The North's dependency on public sector employment has very little to do with Sinn Féin.

I'm not getting into an irrelevant tit for tat. I'll just say I disagree with you.

I'm not getting into an irrelevant tit for tat. I'll just say I disagree with you.

Ah yes, you make statements and are subsequently unable to backup your claims when you're called out on them. Are you willing to accept that your claims were infact, factually incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Whatever party I vote for will not contain any f's in it's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fine Gael. Basically because they are the best of a bad lot. The PD's if they were still around maybe, but even then I wouldn't be much excited by it. Only thing that will stop me voting FG is if some new party comes out of nowhere that I can be interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

And the distinguished gentleman demonstrates further ignorance. Sinn Féin wants to remove the public sector dependencies by reducing corporate tax, allowing more local businesses to get up off the ground and to invest in green technology, to create jobs outside of the public sector. You've really no idea what you are talking about. The North's dependency on public sector employment has very little to do with Sinn Féin.

I hadn't realised this
    has SF reversed their position on corporation tax?

Higher corporation tax was one of the policies before the last election, untill they realised the damage it would have caused.

I didn't know they have swung completly in the other direction, advocating lower Corp tax in NI?

I hadn't realised this

Higher corporation tax was one of the policies before the last election, untill they realised the damage it would have caused.

I didn't know they have swung completly in the other direction, advocating lower Corp tax in NI?

Sinn Fein realised their ridiculous policy of 50% corporation tax made them toxic to the electorate. As a result they are changing their policies, becoming more centrist, trying to become all things for all people.

Basically they are turning into Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised this

They have always advocated low corp tax in the north, because it is up to 28% there. They wanted it reduced to allow for more home-grown businesses to be created - to break away from being dependent on the public sector for employment. Infact, island-wide tax harmonization has always been one of their policies.

The DUP also support lower corp tax in the north. If the two parties could make it happen, it would be a remarkable achievement for both of them, considering they couldn't sit in the same room not so long ago. Unfortunately, Sinn Féin nor the DUP have the freedom to control the economic infrastructure of the North - which I believe is a bad move. The British corp tax is just way too high for the North to become self-sufficient.

My my initial post was in response to Pride Fighter's assertion that Sinn Féin wishes to depend on the public sector in the north, to which I pointed out that they wished to reduced corp tax to counter this. Just incase, anyone wished to take my post out of context.

In the south, their current policy at the time of posting this is to keep the status quo at 12.5%.

Advertisement