Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icelandic eruption and Birds.

Options
  • 21-04-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Do you think that with the Icelandic eruption, birds who wouldnt normally come down here from the continent would do so now?:confused:

Do you also think that the eruption would have an enourmous effect on Wildlife such as Birds?

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Generally the birds (divers, geese etc) are moving north to Iceland and Greenland away from us, at this time of year. The general consensus is that they are able to fly around the dust cloud - unlike planes which have restricted flight paths. There is some concern that feeding/breeding areas may be affected by layers of ash but it should not be a major problem as yet.
    Of greater concern was the fact that they had to fight against the wind when usually it's in their favour at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Its just that I'm seeing Black tailed godwits which according to my book only come here in winter. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Its just that I'm seeing Black tailed godwits which according to my book only come here in winter. :confused:

You'll see them right into mid-May. Some spend winter here, others move further south. There are a lot of them moving back north at the moment which stop over in Ireland en route. A very small number of first winter birds will stay here through the summer.

Advertisement