Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone buy this Man a Pint!

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

The Chief Justice of Ireland has agreed to expedite the legal challenges against plans for the €320 million Galway City Outer Bypass.

Now if only he could bring back Pierrepoint and hang those who keep objecting to this and other needed and positive developments in Galway :D

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12197-chief-justice-speed-hearing-city-bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

churchview wrote: »
    Now if only he could bring back Pierrepoint and hang those who keep objecting to this and other needed and positive developments in Galway :D

"The highly complex legal wrangle is likely to see the Supreme Court refer the entire matter to the European Court of Justice, a process that could take up to 18 months.":eek:

Could we not just skip the courts part and proceed directly to the Pierrepoint process of quick and immediate justice for Mr Sweetman and his buddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Churchview would gladly replace Pierrepoint on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Bypass FTW, Galway traffic is horrendous as we all know - especially if you live in Salthill and work in Ballinasloe!

But it occured to me recently that the seamus quirke road from the corrib park/back of GUH roundabout up to the WDR roundabout could be well widened and made into a dual-carriage way. Its pretty wide as is and bordered by a wide green margin for most of its length. The part closer to WDR would require taking green area from gleann dara and cruachan park but WTF, I dont live there!

Has to be the most traffic choked road in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

churchview wrote: »

Bring back Niall O'Bollockone to be hanged by the other:D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Svalbard wrote: »

But it occured to me recently that the seamus quirke road from the corrib park/back of GUH roundabout up to the WDR roundabout could be well widened and made into a dual-carriage way.

How has nobody had that idea before now?! :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837825

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

soundbyte wrote: »

The IDEA was a dual carriageway and the IDEA has been around for 15 years at least but the Galway Greens and the Connollys turned two of the 4 lanes into BUS lanes.

Now we have to go through the widening process this year....thereby making absolute sh1te of Galway traffic for at least 6 months.

At the end of all that there will be no net extra road capacity except for bicycles and buses. :(

If anyone would like to join me some night in destroying every piece of environment these people are trying to save, work could start alot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

But what about the snails, moss and sea monsters that will suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    At the end of all that there will be no net extra road capacity except for bicycles and buses. :(

That is a contradiction in terms.

At the end of the year, there will considerable extra capacity for buses: this will make the bus service more efficient and thus more attractive to drivers, so get some cars off the road.

JustMary wrote: »
    That is a contradiction in terms.

At the end of the year, there will considerable extra capacity for buses: this will make the bus service more efficient and thus more attractive to drivers, so get some cars off the road.

Mary, you know perfectly well that very few buses travel from Knocknacarra to the back of the hospital so that extra capacity will be dead space in effect.

Then the greens will decide this normallyempty bus lane is a great success and will probably want a bus lane all the way to bloody Briarhill and will happily dig up and gridlock the town up for the next two years while they install it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They want a bus lane over Quincentennial, despite the fact that NOT ONE SINGLE BUS SERVICE goes that way currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bus lanes should only be allowed to operate at times or locations when there are plenty of busses using them. It is insane to allocate so much space to non existent busses. Far from encouraging driver to change to busses it just makes them more determined to use the cars that they pay a fortune to own & run.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

soundbyte wrote: »

Hey, they stole my idea, the backstards.

And backstardised it by making more poxy bus lanes!

They want a bus lane over Quincentennial, despite the fact that NOT ONE SINGLE BUS SERVICE goes that way currently.

Well if I was king, there would be an outer-orbiter bus going over it once every 10-15 minutes (more at peak times) in either direction!

Well if I was king, there would be an outer-orbiter bus going over it once every 10-15 minutes (more at peak times) in either direction!

So a whole lane is reserved all day for 4- 6 vehicles an hour , gwan outta that Mary :(

The bus lanes should be dynamic, I can accept a PEAK HOUR bus lane but the Galway Green Fascisti make them 24 hour tarmac reservations that carry less than one bus an hour per direction over the 24 hours.

Fukin Voodoo Economics, green style. Bastards :(

They tried peak hour bus lanes in Cork with parking allowed at other times. Unsurprisingly noone moved their cars during the peak hour and not a damn car was towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Well, now tourists that walk up that path from NUI and then wonder how they get across to Menlo castle will have a bridge. Last time I was there, 2 girls were shouting across the river to me asking how to get to the castle.

I don't quite get what good it's going to do for Galway residents though, it seems too far out of town to be useful as quicker route for anyone.

Edit: And just realized the point of a 'bypass' would not be for galwegians but folks going from Dublin to Clifden and the like.

It would also mean you can get from Knocknacarra to the Dublin road in 10 minutes almost guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

It would also mean you can get from Knocknacarra to the Dublin road in 10 minutes almost guaranteed.

Via the outer bypass you mean, or because the dublin road through the city should have that much less traffic?

I'm not sure it'll be quite that quick going via the outer bypass, if only because some of those roads heading north out of knocknacarra are pretty small - like pull over to let the other car get by you small. I'd say most folks will still have to go down seamus quirke then up the N59 then over to the bypass and that'll be slow during peak times.

It should improves things over all for sure though.

Bypass will be 10 minutes approx.

Well, more accurately it'll be about 18km from the Cappagh Road to the end of the bypass at the M6. Ok this does include the refused western part of the route but whatever new one they come up with cant be much longer.

100kmh limit (as the bypass wont be motorway) : works out at about 12 minutes.

Not bad, anytime of day or night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you were king, JustMary, you'd really be queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Then the greens will decide this normallyempty bus lane is a great success and will probably want a bus lane all the way to bloody Briarhill and will happily dig up and gridlock the town up for the next two years while they install it :(

The greens are actually one of the biggest obstacles to a successful public transport system in Galway because they have the attitude you described above.

They really think that throwing down a few bus and cycle lanes in random places will solve the traffic gridlock in what is the main city in the West of Ireland. It's a crazy attitude!

Let us start with East Galway City - 28 trains with absolutely loads of spare capacity passing through stationless Oranmore and stationless Renmore everyday. A pathetic station with no passing loop and only 100 parking spaces is being planned for Oranmore. 100 spaces when the NRA are saying there will be 52,000 (26,000 x 2) cars on the M6 at Oranmore everyday in as little as 3 years time.
    There are 5,000 people living in Renmore alone, thousands more if you include other surrounding areas. But no station is planned for Renmore which has 28 trains passing through everyday; instead a station is being planned for the town of Crusheen which has, I think, a population of only 700.

Proper stations in Oranmore and Renmore along with proper connecting bus services would do more to reduce traffic in East Galway City than any number of bus or cycle lanes ever could.

Niall O'Brolochain comes out with crazy suggestions to solve the traffic problems such as putting a bus lane on the Dock Road and having a cycle lane from Barna to Oranmore. I would need to see traffic counts for the Dock Road but I reckon that the guts of 10,000 people would need to switch from car to bus in order for traffic to be better along that road having turned one of the lanes into a bus lane. It would be doomed to failure; even if people were willing to switch, would there be enough spare capacity on the bus routes in question?? And Niall seems to have forgotten that there is already a cycle lane the majority of the way from Barna to Ballybrit. By all means, extend it to Oranmore but if we are to be realistic, it's not going to have a huge impact on traffic with Galway weather.

When Ireland starts coming out of this recession, Galway will get left behind because of our bad traffic problems and utterly shite public transport. Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and to a lesser degree, Cork have all made substantial improvements to their road networks recently. The improvements in these other cities will have positive knock-on effects to public transport (i.e. - buses services will be faster and more reliable). In stark contrast, Galway is still without a bypass, the rail issue in Oranmore and Renmore still isn't sorted and we have the same old rubbish city bus service. Who in their right mind would invest in Galway during any economic upturn?

Bypass will be 10 minutes approx.

Well, more accurately it'll be about 18km from the Cappagh Road to the end of the bypass at the M6. Ok this does include the refused western part of the route but whatever new one they come up with cant be much longer.

100kmh limit (as the bypass wont be motorway) : works out at about 12 minutes.

Not bad, anytime of day or night :)

Is that assuming that any junctions will be over or under ?. My concern would be that we end up with 500 yds of DC then a roundabout, then another 500 etc etc.

All the junctions bar the one at the Western Distributor Road and Barna will be dumbell style GSJs, so you can fly it. Those two wont have the traffic to warrent GSJs either.

Is it still planned that all the traffic heading west will end up on the coast road at Furbo ?.

That was the original plan, yes.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/intermap.htm

Not sure whats happening as everything west of the GSJ just west of the Corrib got turned down by ABP. Apparently the NRA have other route options but they're not public.

KevR wrote: »
    Niall O'Brolochain comes out with crazy suggestions to solve the traffic problems such as putting a bus lane on the Dock Road and having a cycle lane from Barna to Oranmore.

There is a perfectly good argument for a bus lne on the dock road but ONLY if you widen it to 4 lanes from the Radisson to the traffic lights on College Road. Then you gotta take over a load of allotments growing Broccoli and concrete over a holy well. So be it.

The SQR perma bus lane is stupid outside an 8am-10am morning peak and a 5pm-7pm evening peak ....when there may be buses on the road.

The rest of the time it is an expensive tarmac reservation and not green at all. Morons :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

just had a thought. maybe a new junction at the radisson coming onto lough atalia with a new bridge taking traffic off that road and straight out to merlin / gmit area. maybe running alongside the current train line and bridge.

surely that would free up lough atalia more and stop everyone being jammed up in the new junction at the huntsman??

So a whole lane is reserved all day for 4- 6 vehicles an hour , gwan outta that Mary :(

The bus lanes should be dynamic, I can accept a PEAK HOUR bus lane but the Galway Green Fascisti make them 24 hour tarmac reservations that carry less than one bus an hour per direction over the 24 hours.

When you add in the regional and tourist buses and charters etc, the one on the Dublin Rd carries vastly more buses than that. I haven't done the numbers ... but could if I got motivated. (Might do it later)

Empty(ish) bus lanes also provide a safer alternative path for emergency service vehicles during peak times.

• Advertisement

When you add in the regional and tourist buses and charters etc, the one on the Dublin Rd carries vastly more buses than that. I haven't done the numbers ... but could if I got motivated. (Might do it later)

You are welcome to do that but I specifically mentioned "The SQR" not the Dublin Road.
    Empty(ish) bus lanes also provide a safer alternative path for emergency service vehicles during peak times.

Yeah, the peelers never pull anyone who goes into a bus lane to let them past I find :D

Advertisement