Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pot wrote:
    Elephant & Castle Buffalo sauce

3rd cup of franks

4 knobs of butter

and 2 knobs of Light Philadelphia cheese

splash of white vinegar

heat up bring to boil and then 15 mins under grill

Super i tell thee Super

That sounds like a decent recipe, but I would question the boiling part?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

The sauce to boil not the wings:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Pot wrote:
    Elephant & Castle Buffalo sauce

3rd cup of franks

4 knobs of butter

and 2 knobs of Light Philadelphia cheese

splash of white vinegar

heat up bring to boil and then 15 mins under grill

Super i tell thee Super
    Thanks, I didn't think of the philadelphia. I bought my first bottle of franks on Saturday, and baked the wings. They were delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thanks, I didn't think of the philadelphia. I bought my first bottle of franks on Saturday, and baked the wings. They were delicious!!
    you can make your own blue cheese (or any other dip) very easily by adding a little water to some mayo. i know it sounds too simple to be true, but 've tried dozens (literally) of ways of making a dip to go with it and never got it quite right until someone told me to just use a bit of water in some mayo to thin it down and then add whatever else you want to it, be it crumbled blue cheese, roasted carlic or whatever else takes your fancy.

i takes 2 minutes to do and comes out perfect every time because if you use too much water, you just have to put a bit more mayo in to thicken it up again. :)

when we do it we either roast off some garlic cloves in the oven and squeeze them into it, or just use blue cheese and a little pepper.

incidentally, philadelphia is a great base for just about any type of creamy sauce and goesgreat with steak. we've used it as a base for our wing dip several times before and it's pretty good, but the mayo thing just works too well to not do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

If you add a bit of corn starch you can make the sauce much thicker and stickier like their ones, rather than runny like water. Have done this in a while, think im gonna have to very soon!

• Advertisement

If you add a bit of corn starch you can make the sauce much thicker and stickier like their ones, rather than runny like water. Have done this in a while, think im gonna have to very soon!
    i actually dust my wings (well, usually use boneless thighs now instead, more meat and no bones) with conflour and a little smoked paprika before i fry them to give them a good crispy coating which i find holds onto the sauce a lot better than just the skin would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I have a question please!

So i am of the baking persuasion, which is grand, but sometimes when I take out my cooked wings, they are 'watery' for the want of a better word. They are crispy on the outside, and they look perfect. But when i take a bite, they are just watery..

I try to let them rest, like beef for example, so that the juices don't spill all over me, but sometimes they are just too juicy.

Any explanation? I mean, i like juicy moist chicken but not when you take a bite into a wing and it explodes. I want it more meaty!!!

Kimia wrote: »
    I have a question please!

So i am of the baking persuasion, which is grand, but sometimes when I take out my cooked wings, they are 'watery' for the want of a better word. They are crispy on the outside, and they look perfect. But when i take a bite, they are just watery..

I try to let them rest, like beef for example, so that the juices don't spill all over me, but sometimes they are just too juicy.

Any explanation? I mean, i like juicy moist chicken but not when you take a bite into a wing and it explodes. I want it more meaty!!!
    cut them up, wash them and pat them (very) dry and then lay them out flat on a tray (or ideally a rack if you can) and leave in the fridge overnight.

there's a link to a guide a few pages back on how to do the perfect oven baked wings which i afaik recommends dusting them with a little baking powder before the fridge part. have a read through of that and i think you'll get the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hi Vibe,

Thanks for the response! I have done this, i dust them with the flour/paprika mix suggested in this thread and I also follow the advice to put them in the fridge for at least 1 hour to overnight.

I think it could be just as simple as leaving them 'rest' a little longer, but i was curious to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

maybe cook them a bit longer and try regulating the heat?

i always fry mine so it's not exactly my area of expertise, but i'd try cooking them for longer at a lower temp to give them some time to dry out a bit inside and then fire up the heat at the end to crisp them up a bit.

or just dump them in a deep fat fryer and be done with it. :p

i just feel like (with the chicken, sauce, butter & dip) they're not exactly the healthiest thing in the world anyway so a bit of extra fat from frying isn't going to make a huge difference. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vibe666 wrote: »

or just dump them in a deep fat fryer and be done with it. :p

i just feel like (with the chicken, sauce, butter & dip) they're not exactly the healthiest thing in the world anyway so a bit of extra fat from frying isn't going to make a huge difference. ;)

I think that people's main reason for not frying them is that they, like me, do not (and probably never will) own a deep fat fryer rather than some misguided notion that oven cooked chicken wings are significantly healthier than fried ones.

I find deep fat fryers too bulky, messy and smelly to warrant having one for the few times I'd use it!

Fry them outside problem solved

I find deep fat fryers too bulky, messy and smelly to warrant having one for the few times I'd use it!
    i actually fry mine in a wok on my electric hob. don't think i'd be brave enough to do it on a gas hob though, so i wouldn't recommend that at all unless you're well insured and don't mind rebuilding your house from the ashes every time you make wings. :p

i do have a fryer, but i keep that for the few times when i do chips or something like that where the oil doesn't get too dirty.

once i'm done i leave the oil to cool and then use a strainer and funnel to filter it back into a big bottle and it goes in the cupboard until i need to use it again.

as long as you have all the right bits (strainer, big funnel, lid for your wok to keep the smell in etc.) its dead easy and not messy at all.

Tried it again but ran out of Philadelphia cheese it was rotten Folks dont do this at home with ordinary cheddar

Pot wrote:
    Tried it again but ran out of Philadelphia cheese it was rotten Folks dont do this at home with ordinary cheddar
    cheddar??? :confused::confused::confused:

who's idea was cheddar?

and for the love of jebus WHY would you do that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

once i'm done i leave the oil to cool and then use a strainer and funnel to filter it back into a big bottle and it goes in the cupboard until i need to use it again.
    You can get mini deep friers in powercity, these need far less oil to get up to the "minimum line", and are smaller for sticking in a cupboard etc, pretty cheap too.

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get mini deep friers in powercity, these need far less oil to get up to the "minimum line", and are smaller for sticking in a cupboard etc, pretty cheap too.
    you might have missed the bit where i mentioned that i had a deep fryer as well. :)

cheddar??? :confused::confused::confused:

who's idea was cheddar?

and for the love of jebus WHY would you do that? :eek:

I know its sick but the Philli cheese works extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pot wrote:
    The sauce to boil not the wings:rolleyes:

er, yeah smartarse I know what you meant. I still don't see any specific reason why you would need to boil the sauce mixture though. Heat yes, boil I don't know.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    er, yeah smartarse I know what you meant. I still don't see any specific reason why you would need to boil the sauce mixture though. Heat yes, boil I don't know.
    well somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. :rolleyes:

there's a very good reason for boiling the sauce and it improves the flavour greatly imho as there is too strong a vinegar flavour off it otherwise.

it also helps the franks and butter clump together a bit more which makes it stick to the wings better.

• Advertisement

well somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. :rolleyes:

there's a very good reason for boiling the sauce and it improves the flavour greatly imho as there is too strong a vinegar flavour off it otherwise.

it also helps the franks and butter clump together a bit more which makes it stick to the wings better.

Thanks

Pot wrote:
    Thanks
    np, I live to serve (wings!). :D

there's a pub near me that serves wings made with franks (so naturally i ordered them, as always), but they didn't cook off the sauce/butter mix before they coated the wings, it looked like they'd just just used the buffalo sauce and slathered it all over them out of the bottle and they were almost inedible because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Was in Elephant & Castle yesterday, dont understand what the big deal is with the chicken wings, I thought they were inedible.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Was in Elephant & Castle yesterday, dont understand what the big deal is with the chicken wings, I thought they were inedible.

:eek: They must be slipipn

its been a long time since E&C did decent wings imho, so i stopped going there altogether.

they've been going on their reputation alone for quite some time now.

of course, it may just not be to your liking, i don't think they'd be for everyone, but then again tell me something that is.

hmm, might be time for another batch (boneless thighs, not wings ;)) here at home for T tonight. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

true, I think they might be something you either love or hate, but the person I was eating there with agreed with me. It's just my opinion though.

true, I think they might be something you either love or hate, but the person I was eating there with agreed with me. It's just my opinion though.
    everyone is entitled to have one, we're not a wingtatorship just yet (although we're getting close!). :p

i had a bit of an epiphany last night and decided that wings weren't the only thing that could benefit from the franks treatment and decided to do some king prawns the same way and they were pretty amazing. :D

you might be thinking that they'd be way too expensive to just throw into some franks and butter, but if you go into one of the proper chinese supermarkets (i use the one on abbey st. next to the jervis luas stop) you can pick up a 1kg bag of the big uncooked tiger prawns for about 8 quid and they work perfectly.

all i did was defrost them and score them down the spine on the outside to make sure i got the black veiny bit out and so they opened up nicely when cooked, coated them in my (almost patented) flour/cornflour mix and threw them in the fryer for a few minutes and then tossed them in the cooked out franks/butter mix and served (also did boneless thigh strips too) and they were amazing.

you do taste the franks/butter saltiness more off the prawns than you do with the chicken so i think next time it'll be unsalted butter, but it's definitely a winner imho and they will certainly be coming out the next time the franks is out again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 calface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thefoodie

I was there a few weeks ago and I thought the wings were great. I reckon they are deep frying the wings and tossing them in franks hot sauce as soon as they come out of the fryer. yummy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭REFLINE1

Anyone ever try doing these bad boys on a BBQ?

Same rules apply i guess---?

Advertisement