Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did "Happy out" come from??!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'm always happier when I'm out, pants don't do it for me.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

jaysis get with the lingo, jackeens! Us "culchies" have been using those phrases for donkey's!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PaulieBeef wrote: »
    jaysis get with the lingo, jackeens! Us "culchies" have been using those phrases with donkey's!:)

FYP. There's a certain brand of culchie who loves to say "with years" as though English-speakers would understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Pure annoying ! Crackin butts though - I could almost forgive them :D

Pure is another one of those culchie sayings. "That was pure awful"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FYP. There's a certain brand of culchie who loves to say "with years" as though English-speakers would understand this.

I heard this in Kerry when I asked someone how long they had worked somewhere. "I worked there with two weeks"

• Advertisement

I use this all the time.. Only in the last year or so.
    Do you want us to all sound the same like with proper english? Language is just a communication tool and if you understand that i'm happy, job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

How did "Hey" make it from Ardee to CSI?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I fcuking hate that phrase, I started a rant about it over in R&R not long ago, it's hideous, it's a serious conversation stopper for me.. 'See ya after'.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Never heard it............. sounds stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Yeah but Cork is the worst.

i sense a feeling of animosity towards our cork brothers. care to expand on your experiences that make you feel this way? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I know people from all over the island who say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

NoDice wrote: »
    Maybe it's a Cork thing? Can anyone from Cork back that up if they've heard it?

I hear it nearly every day, I never say it myself though. I'd be leaving work, stop to talk to one of my friends, I'd say "I really have to go now bye" and she'll say "alright go on so".

But alot of people just say "go on so" without the conversation at all..

Yeah, it appears to be a Cork thing. I hate it! When people want to finish a phone conversation they say "go on" instead of "well, I'll talk to you soon" or something more civil. Sounds like you are really holding them up and they can't wait to get rid of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have only ever heard "happy out" from Cork and Kerry people. It's a phrase that completely wrecks my head for some reason.

Another Cork phrase that I've heard is saying "alergic" to mean being distressed or annoyed about something. e.g. "It took us half an hour to get served like, I was fecking alergic!"

lived in cork for years and never heard "happy out".
    i've heard allergic alright. kind of self explanatory. as in i'm allergic to that dope on boards ;)

Have only ever heard "happy out" from Cork and Kerry people. It's a phrase that completely wrecks my head for some reason.

Another Cork phrase that I've heard is saying "alergic" to mean being distressed or annoyed about something. e.g. "It took us half an hour to get served like, I was fecking alergic!"

I think you'll find the phrase has been shortened to "allerge" :rolleyes:

As in...

"Traffic was UNREAL coming home today"
    "Don't talk to me, girl...ALLERGE!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

happy out?......sure it was runnin rampant down the back arse of wicla and wexford about 3 years gone. (said with wiclow accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭SomeDude

I don't particulary want everybody to speak "proper" English. I'm just intrigued to know where the phrase "happy out" came from.

Also, what the hell does it actually mean? Obviously I know what the sentiment is, but what does the "out" part refer to? Does it mean they are so happy that they are displaying "outward" emotion. Oh, and by the way, I hear this mostly from Dublin people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I originally said it was an English guy I heard it from, but he's actually lived in Kerry for half his life, so this would make sense.

It really (irrationally) grinds my gears too. I think it's because I like to speek propar Engurlish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

SomeDude wrote: »
    I don't particulary want everybody to speak "proper" English. I'm just intrigued to know where the phrase "happy out" came from.

Also, what the hell does it actually mean? Obviously I know what the sentiment is, but what does the "out" part refer to? Does it mean they are so happy that they are displaying "outward" emotion. Oh, and by the way, I hear this mostly from Dublin people...

Happy from the inside out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Yeah but Cork is the worst.

Your mam is the worst..
    Noopti wrote: »
    And your response would obviously be "Eh, I wasn't looking for permission biatch"?

Seriously though, if someone responded like that to me I would think they were taking the piss, or else actually felt agrieved that I was leaving...

Ya it's a little rude but I think it's generally accepted as a "goodbye" in a nice way..
    "That bate all out" is another one.

Never heard that one..

Ya I've heard loadsa people say allergic too! Ugh, hate that but I've caught myself saying it a few times walking up the stairs to work when someone asks "how are you" and I reply "allergic".. :o

I didn't get "haunted" for a while.. Thought it meant a bad thing but it's apparently a good thing.. Must be getting old..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

SomeDude wrote: »

Also, what the hell does it actually mean? Obviously I know what the sentiment is, but what does the "out" part refer to? Does it mean they are so happy that they are displaying "outward" emotion. Oh, and by the way, I hear this from mostly Dublin people...

happy out = im outwardly happy. feel my emotions as they rumage through your mortal coil. its a culchie thing for sure. whats this? e-motions? what can we do wi tham. happy out.

I think it's a shortening of "throughout"

Malari wrote: »
    I think you'll find the phrase has been shortened to "allerge" :rolleyes:

As in...

"Traffic was UNREAL coming home today"
    "Don't talk to me, girl...ALLERGE!!!"

Ha ha ha!!

"Just got to work on time though! Haunted, girl!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a phrase that completely wrecks my head for some reason.

Is it only in Kerry that someone would say "wrecks the head", or "I'm off the head", or "the head" in general, as if implying that there's only one "head" in existence?

My missus picked that "Kerry way" up and it's driving me off the head.:(

Ha ha ha!!

"Just got to work on time though! Haunted, girl!"

Oh god yeah that's another gem! :pac:

Your mam is the worst..

his mam is the best. so you've had a go as well? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is it only in Kerry that someone would say "wrecks the head", or "I'm off the head", or "the head" in general, as if implying that there's only one "head" in existence?

My missus picked that "Kerry way" up and it's driving me off the head.:(

I notice you didn't say "the missus" :cool:

How to use 'happy out'.

Tom: Jaysus Mary, the Esb arrived. Will ya open it there?
    Mary: Aye, give it here..
    Sure it's only ninety squids Tom. Not too bad at all like.
    Tom: Ah sound enough.. Happy out like. What's for dinner?
    Mary: Spuds and Cabbage.
    Tom: Scorebags McGee Hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

How to use 'happy out'.

Tom: Scorebags McGee.

Jaysus Tom and Mary have the life dont they!

• Advertisement

How to use 'happy out'.

Tom: Scorebags McGee.

Ha ha or..

"What are ya up to later on girl?"

"In for the night with a naggin and my fella - happy out!"

his mam is the best. so you've had a go as well? :D

Ya but I'm definately not paying THAT much next time!

Advertisement