Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "All In The Cooking" old cookbook thread.

Options
  • 03-11-2005 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi my mother has been looking for a cookbook she used in school in the 60s called "all in the Cooking" -Coláiste Mhuire. Does anyone know where I could get a copy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

www.abebooks.com will sort you out.

Do a search on title, and sort the results by name.

I just checked quickly, and they have it. Just a question of price after that.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

oh my god you're a life saver - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

No probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommytowers

Where can i get above title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kitchencook

edengarden wrote: »
    Hi my mother has been looking for a cookbook she used in school in the 60s called "all in the Cooking" -Coláiste Mhuire. Does anyone know where I could get a copy?

Hi EdenGarden,

I am looking for the same book or just one recipe from it. It's for rock buns. Can you help me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 qwaszx123

By some miracle i have this book here and have found this thread on the same day as the previous post. So my good deed for the day:
    Rock Buns
    250g flour
    Pinch of salt
    1 teasp. baking powder
    90g butter or margarine
    1/4 teasp. mixed spice
    A little nutmeg
    90g sugar
    1 egg
    30g mixed peel
    A little milk
    90g currants
    1. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
    2. Rub in the butter. Add sugar, chopped peel, mixed spice, grated nutmeg and currants. Mix well.
    3. Mix to a fairly stiff consistency with a beaten egg, using a little milk if required.
    4. Take a piece of the mixture between to forks and pile on a greased tin. Continue until all the mixture is used.
    5. Bake in a fairly hot oven for about 20 minutes.
    (fairly hot means about 215 Celsius).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I went to see if my mam's old cookbook was the same one. Found it, but its "Good Cooking for Everyone" by Mary Meredith.

May as well type out the recipe, took ages to find the thing.

Rock Buns

8 oz self rasing
    pinch of salt
    good pinch of mixed spice
    1 1/2 oz. margarine softened at room temp
    2 oz lard or white cooking fat, softened at room temp
    3 oz granulated sugar
    3 oz currants
    1 oz chopped mixed peal (optional)
    finely grated rind of one lemon
    1 large egg
    about 1 tablespoon of milk
    little extra granulated sugar

Grease two baking trays ready for baking the buns. If you havent two trays the buns will have to be baked in batches. Set the oven at gas mark 6 or 400 deg F.
    Sift the flour, salt, and spice into a mixing bowl. Add the margarine and lard and cut them into small pieces with a knife. Rub the fat into the flour with the tips of your fingers then stir in the sugar, currants, peal, and rind. Lightly beat the egg and add it to the mixture with the milk and stir well to a stiff consistency. Heap the mixture in small mounds on the baking tray, leaving a space between each for the buns to rise. Sprinkle a little sugar over each bun.
    Bake the buns near the top of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Slip a palette knife under the buns to lift them away from the tray.
    Cool them on a wire tray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kitchencook

Thank you all for your help. The recipe I was looking for contained coconut and not any dried fruit. Maybe they are called coconut buns but I was sure they were called 'rock buns' in that particular book.
    But thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

bonkey wrote: »
    Just a question of price after that.

I'm pretty sure my mother didn't pay €120 for her copy. A pity it's so expensive, I'd have loved to buy a copy for my sister for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I picked this up in a second hand bookshop on the main street in Dunlaoghaire a year or two ago, they had a few copies. Also try upstairs in Chapters on Parnell St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rita Loughlin

plese let me know where i can getr all in the cooking thanks
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thank you all for your help. The recipe I was looking for contained coconut and not any dried fruit. Maybe they are called coconut buns but I was sure they were called 'rock buns' in that particular book.
    But thanks for all your help.

Only recently I was given this book. It belonged to my late Gran Aunt. It's called All in the Cooking, Book 1 Colaiste Mhuire Book of Household Cookery.

I found a recipe for Coconut Buns below:-

8 ozs flour
    pinch of salt
    3 ozs butter or marg
    3 ozs sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    About 1/2 gill milk (no idea what that means :o)
    2 ozs dessicated coconut

To decorate - 1 tablespoon of jam. Coconut.

1) Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
    2) Rub in the butter, add sugar, coconut and mix well.
    3) Mix to a fairly stiff consistency with well beaten egg and a little milk.
    4) Take a piece of the mixture between two forks and pile on a greased tin. Contine until all the mixture is used.
    5) Bake in a hot oven for about 20 mins.
    6) Brush over with jam, dip in coconut.

If there are any other recipes you would like, just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

plese let me know where i can getr all in the cooking thanks
    :D
    hope the mods don't mind, but just in case someone is still looking ...
    http://www.adverts.ie/269499/non-fiction/all-in-the-cooking-edco-book-1-third-edition/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

It appears that the original 1969 Coláiste Mhuire edition is £278 on Amazon. Is the 1975 reprint by The Educational Company just the same text in a later binding?

Strange that for such a successful and useful book that it went out of print: it must surely be worthwhile to reissue it now. It has all the basic recipes for things that are considered "beneath" the modern cook, although a few pages are admittedly hopelessly out-of-date — I think the recipe for Chili con Carne recommends half a teaspoon of chili powder whereas now you would start with 6–8 whole chilis :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Noctua

Gosh. I have that book. I don't think I would ever part with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Querygirl

Hi just wondering does anyone know where I can get this book? My mam talks about this book at least once a week and I would LOVE to get it for her! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Querygirl wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does anyone know where I can get this book? My mam talks about this book at least once a week and I would LOVE to get it for her! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    By the look of it, it's simply not available. Those who have a copy are hanging onto them; and the copy I mentioned seeing on eBay was a couple of hundred yoyos. The only option seems to be to get someone to photocopy it for you -- technically illegal, but if the publisher has ceased to exist and you can't locate the authors to ask them, then the copyright is effectively abandoned, so who is going to sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 siobhy

Hello, would you be interested in selling your 'All in the cooking ' cookbook, if so my email is skinane@hotmail.com Kind regards Siobhan in Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

I was looking for this or similar too and I have to say I loved Darina Allens Forgotten skills of cooking as a good book with all the important stuff in it. I recommend!

siobhy wrote: »
    Hello, would you be interested in selling your 'All in the cooking ' cookbook, if so my email is [redacted] Kind regards Siobhan in Tipperary

I'm really sorry — I use the book all the time and couldn't part with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I have my mothers copy circa 1950 . I would be happy to photo copy any recipe you want if that helps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lynelee

Hi EdenGarden,

I am looking for the same book or just one recipe from it. It's for rock buns. Can you help me.

Hey there. I have this book so if you are still needing the recipe I will give it to you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Hi EdenGarden,

Rock Buns from the new and revised edition of All in the cooking 1954

8 oz flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
    3 oz sugar
    1 oz mixed peel
    3 oz currants
    pinch salt
    3 oz butter/marg
    a little nutmeg
    1 egg
    a little mik

Sieve flour salt and baking powder into bowl
    rub in butter add sugar chopped peel currants nutmeg and mixed spice
    mix well
    mix to a fairly stiff consistency with a beaten egg using a little milk if required.
    take a peice of the mixture between 2 forks and pile on a greased tin. continue until all mixture is used.
    bake in a hot oven for about 20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samandtigger5

Hi im looking for an old cookery book all in the cooking it was out in 80s when i was at school , think it was written by deidre madden but not to sure about authur it had a green cover

Hi im looking for an old cookery book all in the cooking it was out in 80s when i was at school , think it was written by deidre madden but not to sure about authur it had a green cover

This whole thread is about that book.
    Or didn't you read the earlier posts?

It's unobtainable, AFAIK, unless you can persuade someone to sell their copy (unlikely), or pay several hundred yoyos on eBay or Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 annahoran

Hey, My mam was looking for this book! Does anyone know who published it? There's obviously a great demand for it and I was going to e-mail them about maybe re-printing a few copies? Most likely a long shot but anyway it's worth a try!

annahoran wrote: »
    Hey, My mam was looking for this book! Does anyone know who published it? There's obviously a great demand for it and I was going to e-mail them about maybe re-printing a few copies? Most likely a long shot but anyway it's worth a try!

Marnell, Josephine B; Breathnach, Nora M; Marin, Ann A; and Murnaghan, Mor. All in the Cooking, Volume 1, The Educational Company of Ireland, Dublin, 1975.

It was first published in 1946, and stopped in the late 70s, I think. The ECI was owned by Longman Browne and Nolan, later Richview Browne and Nolan, and is now defunct, I believe.

It's therefore unclear who owns the copyright; it may be abandoned. A publisher would need a lot of demand to reprint: you can't "reprint a few copies" of a paper book.

However, I am a typesetter: if someone is prepared to scan and OCR the text, I would be prepared to see if the successors to the publisher can be found, and see if we can cut a deal to do an electronic edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wendy123

Is there any chance one of you lucky people who has a copy, could remind me how to make the delicious Sponge Cake that's in that book? Or share the Fudge recipe?
    Thank you so much in advance!;)

Wendy123 wrote: »
    Is there any chance one of you lucky people who has a copy, could remind me how to make the delicious Sponge Cake that's in that book? Or share the Fudge recipe? Thank you so much in advance!;)
    At the risk of awakening the sleeping publisher and authors, I have made a typographic facsimile of the Sponge Cake recipe in its context. You can download the PDF at http://silmaril.ie/downloads/aitc1-extract.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wendy123

Thank you so very much, this is fantastic!!

Advertisement