Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

robindch wrote: »
    Are you saying it wasn't intelligently designed?

Don't flatter yourself, Robin.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Don't flatter yourself, Robin.;)
    Well, if not ID, then I'm one of an infinite number of monkeys... :)

Here's a summary of a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences which shows, at the neurological level, that religious people simply take their own pre-existing beliefs, and repackage them to make it appear (to themselves) that they originated with their deity instead:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18216-dear-god-please-confirm-what-i-already-believe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is a great and rather extensive interview with Michael Shermer (Skeptic magazine) about all sorts of paranormal and supernatural issues

It's in 12 parts, each 10 mins long... so rather extensive :D

I'm only on part 2 but they've covered out of body experiences, angels, god, evolution...

Give it a listen :)

<3 Michael Shermer

Gave me a chuckle

091207usatC.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Malty_T wrote: »
    The internetz is now abuzz with the rumour that physicists have discovered dark matter particles. Needless to say if it is true, it would be groundbreaking.

However, this could all be an elaborate hoax started by some sly blogger.
    Dec 18th awaits.

Hat's off to the bloggers.
    They were sorta right.
    When the CDMS-II team looked at the analysis of their latest run – after accounting for all possible background particles and any faulty detectors in their stacks – they were in for a surprise. Their statistical models predicted that they would see 0.8 events during a run between 2007 and 2008, but instead they saw two.

The team is not claiming discovery of dark matter, because the result is not statistically significant. There is a 1-in-4 chance that it is merely due to fluctuations in the background noise. Had the experiment seen five events above the expected background, the claim for having detected dark matter would have been a lot stronger.

Nonetheless, the team cannot dismiss the possibility that the two events are because of dark matter. The two events have characteristics consistent with those expected from WIMPs (PDF).

The CDMS-II team is planning to refine the analysis of their data in the next few months. In addition, they have begun building new detectors in the mine, which will be three times as sensitive as the existing setup. These "SuperCDMS" detectors are expected be in place by middle of next year.

Interesting article on the politics at Copenhagen.
    Scary too, if it's true.
    Basically China intentionally bulldozed the conference into a rubbish deal as the West pleaded with them to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

gravity_wells.png

Bigger version for your perusal.

Apparently one could escape Deimos' gravity with a bike and a ramp. Someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Science has already ruined Santa, now they're disproving Angles, is nothing sacred?? :D

Angels can't fly: Official

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

pts wrote: »
    Science has already ruined Santa, now they're disproving Angles, is nothing sacred?? :D

In before someone gets all obtuse about this spelling error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

homer-doh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

pts wrote: »

That was acute pun, Genghiz.

Of course if you think the Bible has redefined pi, then angles would probably be next on the geometrical hitlist. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

PDN wrote: »
    That was acute pun, Genghiz.

Of course if you think the Bible has redefined pi, then angles would probably be next on the geometrical hitlist. :)

Had a glance at the funny side of religion thread just there, backed out slooooowly

Had a glance at the funny side of religion thread just there, backed out slooooowly

The links between angels and geometry go further. When I was at school we memorised trigonometric functions by using the acronym TOA SOH CAH - "Two old angels, skipping over heaven, carrying a harp."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Interesting Stuff?

Has Dades been screwin' with the thread again? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Nice wee video of what the earth would look like it if had a ring system like Saturn:

I for one think it would've been savage, if I'd had the good fortune to evolve into a sentient being of course...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    Interesting Stuff?

Has Dades been screwin' with the thread again? :(
    *cough* Robin *cough*

Galvasean wrote: »
    Interesting Stuff?
    Yep, this is the A+A sticky for stuff which is kinda unrelated to A+A but sufficiently interesting that most inhabitants should find it fun. Or interesting. Hence the thread title.

This one was a new one on me the other day.

In Siberia's Novosibirsk, a group has been selectively breeding silver foxes for over fifty years to see if they can be tamed (Wiki article, New Scientist article). Seems that they can be:

http://www.hum.utah.edu/~bbenham/2510%20Spring%2009/Behavior%20Genetics/Farm-Fox%20Experiment.pdf

...and very quickly too. They also ran a similar experiment with rats to produce two divergent populations -- one tame, and the other violent -- and managed that within a few years too.

Fran de Waal has listed his top ten animals of the decade in the huffingtonpost.
    Oh and what a list it is too.

Winner : Ayumu.
    He did something Japanese college students fail at -- even after extensive training. Ayumu can in one brief glance of 210 milliseconds (faster than you can blink!) memorize a series of numbers on a screen and then tap them in the right order even though the numbers themselves have been replaced by white squares

Edit : The webpage of the "list" seems to be down at the moment...:(

• Advertisement

Hey do any of ye subscribe to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast?

I just discovered it last week, and now constantly have an iPod in my ear listening to old episodes :D 1 episode a week since 2005, so lots to catch up on !

They interview tonnes of people, Phil Plait, James Randi, Michael Shermer, Simon Singh, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Wiseman, Adam Savage, Matt Stone, Joe Nichell......

I really can't recommend it enough, it's very informative, funny, clever, intelligent, up-to-date, and eh.... skeptical !

Brilliant stuff, get that into ya right now !

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/

/goes back to listening to it :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey do any of ye subscribe to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast?

Yes, it's great!

Lads would it make sense to turn this thread into an off-topic thread? I know I've just been using it to post all sorts of random sh*t :D

There's an OT thread in pretty much every substantial forum, they're usually good craic.

Just an idea !

Lads would it make sense to turn this thread into an off-topic thread? I know I've just been using it to post all sorts of random sh*t :D

There's an OT thread in pretty much every substantial forum, they're usually good craic.

Just an idea !

I find most threads in which I participate in this forum end up as being off-topic threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I find most threads in which I participate in this forum end up as being off-topic threads.

That's because we don't have over-protective mods who are so very afraid of having the dogma of their flock criticised.

That's because we don't have over-protective mods who are so very afraid of having the dogma of their flock criticised.

Be careful your tongue doesn't get stuck up there.

Yeah Dades and robin are lovely

Lads would it make sense to turn this thread into an off-topic thread? I know I've just been using it to post all sorts of random sh*t
    Hey, that's why it's called the interesting stuff thread.
    We're a liberal lot around these parts and view threads not as single-issue protest marches, but as conversations which move naturally from topic to topic over time, pretty much as they do outside the forum.

Be careful your tongue doesn't get stuck up there.
    Now, now, ladies -- handbags on the ground, and please give each other a manly handshake. No point in starting the year with a clatter of red cards.

• Advertisement

New Sam Harris article in FP

I haven't read it yet, but it's bound to be good :)

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/12/18/the_god_fraud

Sam Harris

robocop-fap.gif

Advertisement