Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need a gig

Options
  • 05-12-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi ppl. im a dj from offaly nd iv started djing a few months back but im findin it IMPOSSIBLE to get gigs in de area.
    HELP ME PLEASE
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

What kinda gigs?I know alot of djs in limerick and my cousin is a dj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

post up a link to one of your mixes...

or give us a traclisting, gazza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dj gazza k

limericks 2 far man. offaly only. il take any kinda gig: pub, party, etc

Táck wrote: »
    post up a link to one of your mixes...

or give us a traclisting, gazza
    reffering 2 tacks message:
    i play anything from bep to tiesto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

This is assuming you're looking for regular gigs not strictly dance music.
    Although some of it would still be relivent.

Go chat to the guys working the DJ circuit in your area, give them your number and let them know you're available to cover double bookings, sickies etc. Be reliable, have a broad range of music and be friendly to punters, smile behind the decks and dance a little even if you're hating the music or feeling knackered, it happens just dont let the crowd know. Everywhere you gig, leave your number, hang a few posters on community notice boards, do a freebie for a local charity group that works with young adults and teenagers.

• Advertisement

tiesto? you should be getting gigs, especially in offaly. put yourself out there. design a t-shirt with your name and or initials on it and get all your friends to wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

dj gazza k wrote: »
    hi ppl. im a dj from offaly nd iv started djing a few months back but im findin it IMPOSSIBLE to get gigs in de area.
    HELP ME PLEASE

Posting I NEED A GIG, rarely works man.
    Everyone I know wants a gig.Usually its by who you know or by starting it yourselve.
    Why dont you get you and mates or other djs together. Do you know anyone interested in same thing as yourselve?
    You find a small venue? for cheap. Or if its a small pub with function room you probably get it for free as your bringing paying customers. (although you would probably need to rent a PA)
    So a smal venue with sound system would be ideal.

Have you your own mixer/decks?
    Post set up or a tracklist aswell there.

Advertise it for 5er in. or free before 11 until to build up a crowd each time.
    Also on poster could ask for any other djs to send in mixes, that way word will get around.

If ya wanted poster design done I could sort that for you easily.

If theres nothing like that around offaly at the minute and you start out with even small venue it could build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

on this topic, assess my situation.

17 years old, decent taste in music (IMO) but i dont mind your average mainstream pop tunes..

Well able to mix, however as of now have no equipment apart from the laptop...

would YOU give me a gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

I have giving lads 17 with no equipment gigs before when I ran gigs.
    Albeit warm up slots.

Alot of decisions made on people asking people to play is based if they know them, how many people they can bring to a gig unfortunately.

Mates get gigs before randomers.

If your 17 why dont you save up for some equipment. Get the practice in. And try for gigs around.

If you cant afford decks get a controller,do you use vdj on the laptop? If you use vdj get yourself a usb controller to work with it.

Few my mates have the, for sessions, some use them at gigs, handy as fukc.

http://www.djstore.com/item/startersystems/numtotalcontrol.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

M O N T O wrote: »
    would YOU give me a gig?
    No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    Albeit warm up slots.

Alot of decisions made on people asking people to play is based if they know them, how many people they can bring to a gig unfortunately.

If your 17 why dont you save up for some equipment. Get the practice in. And try for gigs around.

If you cant afford decks get a controller,do you use vdj on the laptop? If you use vdj get yourself a usb controller to work with it.

Really am absolutely broke. Yeah i was thinking of getting a controller this christmas, Something cheap like the Behringer BCD3000 because I'm not too sure about spending any money on some decent equipment if i'm not gonna get anything back.

The worst thing is I'm living in Wicklow Town, 2 clubs here, absolutely sh i te dj's that just fade out a track, fade in another one, no mixing involved.

Unfortunately i don't have the know-how to actually apply for a slot, and I'm unsure if theres some rule saying i can't work there, surely, being underage and not meant to be in there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Really am absolutely broke. Yeah i was thinking of getting a controller this christmas, Something cheap like the Behringer BCD3000 because I'm not too sure about spending any money on some decent equipment if i'm not gonna get anything back.

The worst thing is I'm living in Wicklow Town, 2 clubs here, absolutely sh i te dj's that just fade out a track, fade in another one, no mixing involved.

Unfortunately i don't have the know-how to actually apply for a slot, and I'm unsure if theres some rule saying i can't work there, surely, being underage and not meant to be in there in the first place.

Personally, if I was giving you a gig I'd like to see a controller and a demo. Arriving with just a laptop can give a bad impression "Probably hacked VDJ and downloaded the rest from Limewire" If you arrive with a controller, nicely dressed and look the part people will give you a part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Ye at least dress well and speak well - and play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You've only been playing for a few months... No offence, but you don't "need" a gig right now, you need to keep practising until you actually know what you're doing...

Quiggers wrote: »
    This is assuming you're looking for regular gigs not strictly dance music.
    Although some of it would still be relivent.

Go chat to the guys working the DJ circuit in your area, give them your number and let them know you're available to cover double bookings, sickies etc. Be reliable, have a broad range of music and be friendly to punters, smile behind the decks and dance a little even if you're hating the music or feeling knackered, it happens just dont let the crowd know. Everywhere you gig, leave your number, hang a few posters on community notice boards, do a freebie for a local charity group that works with young adults and teenagers.

all my dj friends know im available

Posting I NEED A GIG, rarely works man.
    Everyone I know wants a gig.Usually its by who you know or by starting it yourselve.
    Why dont you get you and mates or other djs together. Do you know anyone interested in same thing as yourselve?
    You find a small venue? for cheap. Or if its a small pub with function room you probably get it for free as your bringing paying customers. (although you would probably need to rent a PA)
    So a smal venue with sound system would be ideal.

Have you your own mixer/decks?
    Post set up or a tracklist aswell there.

Advertise it for 5er in. or free before 11 until to build up a crowd each time.
    Also on poster could ask for any other djs to send in mixes, that way word will get around.

If ya wanted poster design done I could sort that for you easily.

If theres nothing like that around offaly at the minute and you start out with even small venue it could build up.

where r u from patrick?

on this topic, assess my situation.

17 years old, decent taste in music (IMO) but i dont mind your average mainstream pop tunes..

Well able to mix, however as of now have no equipment apart from the laptop...

would YOU give me a gig?

not without gear no coz u need sumtin man.
    i hav gear tho
    numark cdn22 mk4

Albeit warm up slots.

iv asked my mates 2 keep an eye out man.
    eh i use a numark cdn22 mk4

tman wrote: »
    You've only been playing for a few months... No offence, but you don't "need" a gig right now, you need to keep practising until you actually know what you're doing...

i DO know wat im doin

but you dont know how to multi quote. its ok, nor do i.

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    but you dont know how to multi quote. its ok, nor do i.

i meant i no wat im doin wen it comes 2 djing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

i meant i no wat im doin wen it comes 2 djing

How do you know if you haven't had a gig yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jev/N wrote: »
    How do you know if you haven't had a gig yet?

Thats a big point. There are procedures... Ways to act... Do's and Dont'ts... And once again practise. Can you beat match, read a crowd, change your set? What happens if your fav tune has no effect and the crowd goes no where? These are things you should learn before you go to a gig or set one up.

How long have you been seriously dj-ing?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Heres my guide to getting a gig.

Go out to the places you want to play on a regular basis and get to know the people involved in setting it up.

After youve knocked down to the promoters night a few times head down with a mix cd in your pocket and ask him/her if they fancy giving you a warm up slot some time.

On that mix cd make sure you have created a mix that is compatible with the premise of the night, and realistically if you are going to get one of your first gigs it will more than likely be a warm up slot. So dont make a mix thats full of the latest belters.

You will more than likely never get a gig by spamming people on bebo/facebook/myspace and internet forums. The sad reality is that there is a hell of a lot of djs out there looking for gigs. What gets a person a gig at the end of the day is by putting a face to a mix. Its of upmost importance that you are an active participant and supporter of your local scene of your preferred genre and a regular face on nights out. Promoters are much more likely to give you a gig if you have had a few chats with them before about music etc and get to know them!

Remember the music scene in Ireland is a lot like the rest of the country with respect to its not what you know but who you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

HELP ME PLEASE

Pay your dues, wait your turn.

If you started "djing" a few months back then, with all due respect, you're not a DJ yet, and you're quite probably not ready to be one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

all my dj friends know im available

So why dont they give you a gig? Surely one of them could sort you with a warm up slot somewhere.
    I don't want to knock you back or anything but as CM Tranny says, wait your turn. There are thousands of bedroom djs out there and plenty of them are extremely talented but not many are getting gigs and thats just the way it is and always will be.

Try sending a mix to radio stations, the likes of RTE Pulse, Power FM and any other stations you come across, ask Vinyl Junkie on here for a slot on the Kitchen Sync. Stick a mix in the members mixes thread here for some feedback. At least you will get a chance to play to some kind of audience and relieve the tension of not playing out.

Saying you want a gig but dont want to leave Offaly is a bit like saying you want sex but you dont want a woman (Or a man or even a goat if thats what you like:D).
    Dont give up though, just have a bit of patience and realise that you have to do the groundwork before you get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barlewis5

Gazza I have to admit you are a complete & utter gob****e. You say you know how to DJ & deserve a gig even though you said you only DJ a few months. I cringed when I read that. You also say you play anything from BEP to Tiesto. Another cringe there.

If you play such ****e music (I assume you play Pop & Cheesy Dance music) how do you think you deserve a gig? Please enlighten me man. You were asked to post a mix & you won't. How the **** is anyone gonna know how good or bad you are if you won't even post a mix? Seriously man if I was a promoter & I read this you would be the last person I would give a gig to. I need a gig? You need a bottle of cop on first you gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

barlewis5 wrote: »
    Gazza I have to admit you are a complete & utter gob****e. You say you know how to DJ & deserve a gig even though you said you only DJ a few months. I cringed when I read that. You also say you play anything from BEP to Tiesto. Another cringe there.

If you play such ****e music (I assume you play Pop & Cheesy Dance music) how do you think you deserve a gig? Please enlighten me man. You were asked to post a mix & you won't. How the **** is anyone gonna know how good or bad you are if you won't even post a mix? Seriously man if I was a promoter & I read this you would be the last person I would give a gig to. I need a gig? You need a bottle of cop on first you gob****e.

Great first post. I'm sure we'll be seeing lots more of you in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barlewis5

I'll be sticking around for a while man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

SteveDon wrote: »
    Its of upmost importance that you are an active participant and supporter of your local scene of your preferred genre and a regular face on nights out. Promoters are much more likely to give you a gig if you have had a few chats with them before about music etc and get to know them!
    That's it in a nutshell, you will never get a gig handing out CD's to every club around you need to get to know the people involved.

Also have you decided weather you want to become a 21st/wedding/40th Jock and earn the easy money or go the more underground route to play your tunes. If its the latter prepare for months on end without a gig, possibly decades if your playing Tiesto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement