Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone work/worked for Pocket Kings??

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2nd round interview coming up for Pocket Kings in the Fraud prevention dept. Has anyone any experience working for them? If so what are they like as a company? is the atmosphere relaxed/hectic/stressful?

any thoughts?

thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I know a few people who have worked there. From what I hear -

The place is totally disorganised
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Treat their staff well
    Full of tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I know a few people who have worked there. From what I hear -

The place is totally disorganised
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Treat their staff well
    Full of tossers

hah, I've heard the exact same thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Applied for that job that has been advertised for the last 6 months, I bet it is still up. Anyway, I never heard from them, I rang quite a lot but always got the "oh they are in a meeting right no, can I take your number and name and he will get back to you". After hearing this for the 4th or 5th time I just got pissed off and left it. Usless shower of ****...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They seem to be hiring constantly. I've heard that it's good pay and benefits, but I only know a couple of people there so don't know if it's full of tossers or not.

http://www.pocketkingscareers.ie/Careers/IT

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

I know only one person working there, and he told me it's quite stressful. He's working on average 10-12 hours a day, and many times he works from home in the evening (after the normal working hours). It's only one opinion, though, so I cannot guarantee the absolute accuracy of what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just applied for a QA job there a few days ago, heard nothing as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

They're talking about an interview for a long time now... as the people above have mentions... very disorganised. Not very professional from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I was talking to a recruitment guy last week and he told me that he stopped dealing with them as their HR was so disorganised.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I was told to put my CV in by one of their staff as I had good poker, security and net experience. This was about a year ago for this job and I've heard nothing since despite trying to get in touch a few times. Ho hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Heard they are very bad to work for, very stressful environment. BUT they pay very well if your prepared. Although I think the high earners got in at the very start, and they have lowered the pay rates in line with the downturn..

I do think they are here for short term, and when the gambling bill in the US is changed I think they might be out of here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dorothygale

I have must've had about twenty or so different recruitment agents ring me regarding the same Pocket Kings job... and they all claim to be exclusively working with them. :rolleyes:

My impression of Pocket Kings is that they are very unorganized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

i heard they were high stress high pay , a year ago. never worth it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

got a call from an agency about them a few months ago and heard nothing back since when i said fire away. i then looked into it and noticed that they had the same positions open for a while so figured people just kept leaving teh place which isn't a good sign IMO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I thought they were a fake job for CV harvesting, might as well be considering the number of places pimping for CV's for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 123unome

Quandary wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a 2nd round interview coming up for Pocket Kings in the Fraud prevention dept. Has anyone any experience working for them? If so what are they like as a company? is the atmosphere relaxed/hectic/stressful?

any thoughts?

thanks...

Hi there,

How did u get on in ur 2nd round interview?

What kind of questions did they ask you?

Might be going for one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hi,

Update - didnt get the job but not too bothered.

The 2nd round interview was pretty intense for a bottom rung of the ladder type job really.

• It lasted over 2.5 hours, i was interviewed by 4 people at different times.
    • Had to do 2 aptitude tests. one of which was to analyze 7 different poker hands, determine if collusion had occured, where and why. 2nd aptitude test had some questions about the company Full Tilt poker (they own pocket kings) ie - name some resident pros there like Chris Ferguson, Gus Hansen etc etc. Also when the company was founded(didnt know that :) ). There was a lot of questions regarding the mechanisms used to cheat in online poker ie types of collusion, poker bots etc etc...
    • Final part of the interview was with the dept Head. very HR style interview with usual crappy questions:) like where dya see yourself in 5 years, strengths, weaknesses what you can offer the team etc etc...

My advise would be to brush up on your poker knowledge as that is 90% of their interest in you. The reason i didnt get the postion was because my poker knowledge wasnt good enough.

I was asked questions on Omaha, Hi Lo, Texas, Horse etc etc....

Hope this helps m8 + best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 lads in my class have gotten jobs there, starting in the next few weeks, the said alot of poker knowlege (basics of each game) is a definite plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fraggle

Hi All, Disappointed with the word on Pocket Kings as I was thinking of applying for a position. I wouldn't mind getting a contact for someone who works there to find out the real deal...if they'd be willing to talk to me. I'm in a high pressure job at the moment that I'm looking to break away from but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. Last thing I want to do is land in another high stress role.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Fraggle wrote: »
    I'm in a high pressure job at the moment that I'm looking to break away from but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. Last thing I want to do is land in another high stress role.:(

what i heard was it's pretty intense. I've seen them advertising for people for over a year now and teh positions all lok teh same so that could be an increase in business or high staff turn over. i heard that people get burn out pretty easy there. but that's not info direct from someon i know more third or forth hand info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I saw them advertise some high-end Data Warehousing jobs about two years ago for crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Hi apologies for jumping in on this topic but I have a second round interview with Pocket Kings next week and it is sequential interviews (with 5 people) lasting over 3 hours. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and can advise what I can expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Pocket Kings- Cherrywood

I got a call from an agency in the city centre about this role yesterday.
    A bit skeptical about it as it is only offering 30k pa.
    Also it's shift work? Late/Night shift and they have 10 vacancies apparently for this type of role.

Overall Purpose of Role:
    This role will be part of the Security and Cashier- Fraud division of the company and will responsible for mitigating risk relating to the companies cashier activities and payment services. The role holder will possess a skill for recognising very subtle patterns of fraudulent activity and communicating them to other team members and management

All comments welcome from previous or current staff, cheers

Has anyone actually worked there and what is the

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Pocket kings are with so many agencies I am sick of been asked would I work for them. Some agents have complained about them to me as they don't give any feedback and then come looking for more CVs a months later as if they never got the CVs.

Something very odd about their recruitment process. Strange thing is I had an interview with them about 2 years ago and told them I was not interested after the interview. Mainly due to location but the other factor was they had developers asking me questions about testing. Developers are useless for such interviewing as they want the testing to act in developers' favour rather than a quality point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 katiejane85

i know people who work here, one of whom is my best friend, and im told they're a great company to work for - serious perks and you're looked after very well. you work hard, but they compensate you for this ie through perks and above average salaries. huge company - 750 people working there. very casual attire, comfortable environment im told, but you work hard and you have to be dedicated. but upside is you're working for a company where the recession stops at their front door. they're hugely successful. if anyone wants more info, pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I also know someone who works here and says it's a seriously great place to work. The benefits are quality, pay is good, cool atmosphere. The bar is set very high, and they tend to employ people who are 'seemingly' over-qualified for each job. So, people at managerial level in another job will step down a rung when they move to Pocket Kings. I guess the idea is that they're looking for the best and brightest across the board.

Because the bar is so high, you do have to perform and mistakes will be noticed. This can be stressful... but it depends on how you look at it. My friend uses it as motivation, and says that it kinda makes the job more fulfilling, knowing that there is high-visibility when he does things well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

I applied to them directly back in March and never heard anything back. I saw an advert for the same position about two months ago through a recuritment agency, so I applied. I heard back the next day and got an interview. The advert said they were hiring for early and late shifts. At the interview though, I was informed that they only hire new staff for the later shifts. They did make the company sound really good though. Loads of benefits. I got a call from the recruitment agency two days after the interview to offer me the job. I turned it down though. I would have taken it had it been day time, but I don't know if I could adapt to working for a new company while at the same time adapting to 10 hour days, and working nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pkps3

It's a terrible place to work in, the entire place is run like a prison. People can not have any ideas, if you do then you get fired. On an earlier post someone mentioned its full of tossers, well that for sure. A load of very small minded people, the swearing and general bully tactics employed on a day to day is out of order.

My advice is to say away ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 booba

I'have been working for them a year and left as it was too boring and the people working there were very incompetent. I think the best remember that I have from this company, it was the interview with a HR girl. I have done this interview 3 times with the same girl in a month as I sent my cv to different recruitment agencies. The first time I haven't been choosen cause they told me my english wasn't good enough, they call me a second time a week after cause I applied from different agencies for the same position. I went to the new interview and the girl didn't realise one second that she interviewed me a week before : but this time I was too graduated for them. They call me a third time a week after : the same story, the same girl but this time they choose me, I was the man.
    So I you want to apply for them, just keep send them your cv, the girl from the hr which is normaly interviewing is quiet stupid, easy to recognize : she is speaking too fast, like she has not time and like she doesn't give a **** about you.
    enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John_Cultane

Booba>

That has got to be some of the weirdest approaches to applying for a job I have ever heard. 3 agencies for one job is going to eliminate you from other positions instantly. Be grateful they have a bad process as otherwise you wouldn't get an interview or be used by the 3 agencies again.

I have read some pretty disturbing descriptions of the working conditions which generally suggest they over work their misguided staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

I've had the same thing with pocket kings and 2 other companies too. Applied directly - nothing, like I never sent them anything. Apply via agency and I get a response very quickly. Not sure if agencies modify your CV or something or call them 10 times a day to get an interview.

I was told by one agency that pocket kings are very slow when processing applications. And I was also asked by 10 agencies if I applied with pocket kings so I guess they are all over the place. Similar to web reservations/hostelworld btw.

I'll still give it a try if them call me for an interview. I don't want to end up in another stressful position but the salary on offer looks very attractive.

Advertisement