Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else wish they went to UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Shyster wrote: »
    so typical of a UCC attitude

:confused:

a typical ul attitude...

"ooh we are better than you beacause we are crazy and party like a rockstar! woo hoo!!!"

if i hear one more ul student say that, i will shove a wellington up their arse. :mad:

:confused:

a typical ul attitude...

"ooh we are better than you beacause we are crazy and party like a rockstar! woo hoo!!!"

if i hear one more ul student say that, i will shove a wellington up their arse. :mad:
    thats hardly a productive comment, i feel you are bitter and your problems run deeper than this thread can help:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

because i went there and therefore have vast knowledge of ul and i am very biased, i have very limited knowledge of ucc, and even if i did find aspects of ucc to be better i am biased so i would ignore them.

im quite sure if i had went to ucc id say it is better.

Yes, it seems Milton was right: 'the mind is its own place, and in itself / Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

im from tipperary and having gone to ucc ul and nuigs open days i have to say galway was far more impressive than both judging from my one day experience of these places .. but corks open day was better then uls .. we were totally lost in UL

jus my two cents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Having studied in both for a good few years I have to say UCC wins hands down for me. Sure the facilities for eating might be better in UL but there is nowhere near the same atmosphere there. I started in UCC, then UL, now back in UCC again, and delighted to get away from Limerick too!

• Advertisement

thats hardly a productive comment, i feel you are bitter and your problems run deeper than this thread can help:p

thats it exactly. how did you guess? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Leopardi wrote: »
    While I imagine most of us realised the facetious nature of the thread, it did highlight some important issues.

Why do you think UL is better than UCC?
    Yes, it seems Milton was right: 'the mind is its own place, and in itself / Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.'

In case nobody's noticed, this guy knows a lot of words and owns many leatherbound books.
    hello everyone, i started this thread and i did it as a piss take,

Shocker :P you should've done it about a Dublin college though

In case nobody's noticed, this guy knows a lot of words and owns many leatherbound books.

How perceptive! The wonders of education. The shame of it! A university graduate deploying an extensive vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm just pointing it out, nobody else seemed to have picked up on it. I think it's wonderful that you so succinctly make your points in such a direct, clear, and concise way. I believe the correct response, is, in fact "Thank you, electro~bitch"

:pac:

I'm just pointing it out, nobody else seemed to have picked up on it. I think it's wonderful that you so succinctly make your points in such a direct, clear, and concise way.

Given the ostensible purpose of this forum, I hardly imagine that I've exceeded my prerogatives. The fact that no one else deemed the issue to be noteworthy may well reveal more about you than it does about them, but with a wry smile I accept your commendation.

Now, following such an unnecessary interlude, let us endeavour to adhere to the confines of the topic with an enriched sense of how literary allusions and pertinent vocabularies have impressed you. We are truly indebted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I'm just pointing it out, nobody else seemed to have picked up on it. I think it's wonderful that you so succinctly make your points in such a direct, clear, and concise way.

Given the ostensible purpose of this forum, I hardly imagine that I've exceeded my prerogatives. The fact that no one else deemed the issue to be noteworthy may well reveal more about you than it does about them, but with a wry smile I accept your commendation.

Now, following such an unnecessary interlude, let us endeavour to adhere to the confines of the topic with an enriched sense of how literary allusions and pertinent vocabularies have impressed you. We are truly indebted!

funny-pictures-super-genius-kitten-has-a-very-large-brain.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drakeduckerson

I was in UL last year and I disliked it enough to move to UCC. They even had Civil Eng. there but i hated the place. Everywhere is so far apart. It takes a solid 20 minutes to get to the building accross the Shannon. And you can't walk into the city. UCC wins hands down. RAG week is class there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Aw, jesus, where to start. Saying UL is better than UCC is the greatest load of rubbish i've ever heard. Here's a few reasons why

1. UCC campus is beautiful. The old and new world buildings blend in so well together and compliment each other wonderfully. The architecture of the place is fantastic. Any buildings on the campus are a maximum 5 minute walk apart. In contrast UL has a soulless modern landscape which takes ages to navigate.

2. UCC has a 164 year heritage. Some of Ireland's finest writers, historians, architects, politicians and archaeologists have graduated from here. UL has only existed as a university for a mere 20 years.

3. A degree from UCC is far more valuable than a degree from UL. Not to sound snobbish, but UCC has a certain prestige than UL will never have. It probably comes from the fact that UCC is located in Irelands second city and has been established far longer than UL. A number of employers have noted this on my CV.

4. UL is a long walk from Limerick City Centre. At least 40 mins. UCC is only 10 mins walk from Cork City Centre. Very handy for nights out on the town.

5. All the best sporting facilities in the world wont make up for UL's limited choice of courses. Say what you want, but UCC offers a far more extensive range of degrees.

6. Finally, and perhaps crucially, UL is in LIMERICK! The city is rife with scumbags, you cant even walk down O'Connell St without being harassed by begging drug addicts posing as ''homeless'' people. And then when you refuse to give them anything they throw abuse at you or spit in your face. It does not even come near Cork in terms of nightlife. Cork has small cosy lanes and streets like Paul St, Crane Lane and Marlboro St with some terrific pubs! What has Limerick got in comparison? - Denmark St and the Market! :D Cork is a truly cosmopolitan city, where you'll meet people of all nationalities, in places like The Bierhaus & Franciscan Well. Limerick's only foreigners are Clare people. Its like comparing cow sh*t with ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

grenache wrote: »
    Limerick's only foreigners are Clare people. Its like comparing cow sh*t with ice cream.
    Whether it's intentional or not, I'm not liking the whole reference to Clare people followed by reference to cow ****...

Finally, and perhaps crucially, UL is in LIMERICK!

+ 1

im from co. limerick and i absolutely hate the city with a passion, even though its my native city. complete hole of a place! Especially trinity rooms, whenever i go there some guy end up smelling or touching my hair. not cool....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

hello everyone, i started this thread and i did it as a piss take, i did NOT attend ucc in fact i have just completed 4 years in UL.

My girlfriend is at ucc and loves it... anytime i have been there i thought it was amazing.

am not an expert in academic excellence. UL was the only place in the country i could do my course so i went there, and i loved it.

but do i think UL is better then UCC.......... Yes.... then again i also am quite sure that i am biased as is everyone else.

THis thread is just a wind up and should be considered as such.

sorry is this annoys anyone
    because i went there and therefore have vast knowledge of ul and i am very biased, i have very limited knowledge of ucc, and even if i did find aspects of ucc to be better i am biased so i would ignore them.

im quite sure if i had went to ucc id say it is better.

I have a "vast" notion that you're a fcuking idiot, wherever your Mammy sent you to University....... :p

+ 1

im from co. limerick and i absolutely hate the city with a passion, even though its my native city. complete hole of a place! Especially trinity rooms, whenever i go there some guy end up smelling or touching my hair. not cool....!
    I'm from west limerick, i'd still only be 20 mins drive from the city though and have been working there for last 5 years. Dislike it to the hilt. So glad i spend most of my time in Cork now.
    Benhonan wrote: »
    Whether it's intentional or not, I'm not liking the whole reference to Clare people followed by reference to cow ****...
    Don't take offence. I wasn't referring to Clare. That just happened to be in the sentence before it, but its not related. That bit is tied in with the cosmopoltian point i was making. What i meant was comparing Cork to Limerick is like comparing ice cream to cow sh*t.

Raiser wrote: »
    I have a "vast" notion that you're a fcuking idiot, wherever your Mammy sent you to University....... :p

You're going to get banned....... But i LOL'd:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I'm from west limerick, i'd still only be 20 mins drive from the city though and have been working there for last 5 years. Dislike it to the hilt. So glad i spend most of my time in Cork now.

Don't take offence. I wasn't referring to Clare. That just happened to be in the sentence before it, but its not related. That bit is tied in with the cosmopoltian point i was making. What i meant was comparing Cork to Limerick is like comparing ice cream to cow sh*t.

Ah yeah I overreacted. I think it's interesting that all of the people who would have UL as a local university talk about how they're delighted to have gone to UCC. I'd love to hear from Cork people who chose UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Free me!!! - The UL 1 !!!!!

• Advertisement

Benhonan wrote: »
    Ah yeah I overreacted. I think it's interesting that all of the people who would have UL as a local university talk about how they're delighted to have gone to UCC. I'd love to hear from Cork people who chose UL.

Weell..........It's not Cork.

QFT:rolleyes::P

Limerick just has a bad vibe about it. Way too many scobes hanging around the city centre, just looking for trouble. I cant say i particularly enjoyed any college nites out there (many of which i had when attending LIT). The amount of fights i saw in O'Connell St (espec outside Supermacs) was unbelievable. Limerick is just dour and rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

As a person who has spent half my life living in Lim and the other half of it in Cork, i've decided to escape this predicament and migrate west to start in Nui Galway this september.

UL certainly doesn't come with the prestige or visual splendor you will find in a much older UCC, but it still offers very credible and sought after degrees.

Both uni's float my boat in different ways tbh. Ucc is colourful, lively and contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of students aren't in fact snobs, instead rather lovely, cultured and outgoing. UL has a much better sports centre, cooler courses in my opinion and far better accommodation.

It's a tough decision really. I do admit I get a most wonderful vibe which i can't quite articulate from cork though. :rolleyes:

BUT A QUESTION: How do you think Nuig/Galway compare as a place for third level students to go? (to avoid this thread goin off topic i've setup a new one in this link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661213 )

Raiser wrote: »
    i would like to inform you that your incredibly hurtful and unnecessary, do not assume anything about anyones family situation as in doing so and making a comment as such you may offend a person which you just did.

I have just graduated top of my class with a first honours degree which i done completely off my own back without any help from anyone so how dare you call me a fcuking idoit. You need to get a life.

glad abuse makes you laugh out loud perhaps you should use your internet time to view viral videos of people dying so you can bask in more suffering and then LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

glad abuse makes you laugh out loud perhaps you should use your internet time to view viral videos of people dying so you can bask in more suffering and then LOL

You started the thread as a wind up so you should be able to take the **** thats thrown at you as a result. Grow up for fcuk sake:rolleyes:

deisedude wrote: »
    You started the thread as a wind up so you should be able to take the **** thats thrown at you as a result. Grow up for fcuk sake:rolleyes:
    if you knew my personal situtation you would understand when i didnt like that comment. i know i seem like a big baby but trust me

I did start it as a wind up for fun, not for abuse, i think there is a difference, through peoples manners arent as good on thre internet when no one knows who they are.

Ill guess its just something illl but up with so. Take things with a pinch of salt, etc.

MY BAD, no wrries, just leave me alone now

if you knew my personal situtation you would understand when i didnt like that comment. i know i seem like a big baby but trust me

I did start it as a wind up for fun, not for abuse, i think there is a difference, through peoples manners arent as good on thre internet when no one knows who they are.

Ill guess its just something illl but up with so. Take things with a pinch of salt, etc.

MY BAD, no wrries, just leave me alone now

did you ever think that you starting this thread may possibly insult people???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Haru

Rob!'s answer was interesting. I guess both unis have good and bad lecturers, but that's the same everywhere.
    I don't think it's easy to compare UL and UCC though because (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't have the same amount of students and the same means. Cork is a bigger city than Limerick after all. That's also probably one of the reasons why I'd say I prefer UCC. That, and because of the UCC buildings (especially the library, although I can't always find what I want there).

However, I have friends in UL, friends in UCC and all of them are great people. So no difference there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭rachel_123

this is so infantile!
    both UL and UCC have good aspects to their campus, degrees and nightlife.

UL is great because of its nightlife, lots of gigs and its localised all in one place. its more a place for people who want to party and not as much learn( although im not going to over generalise)

UCC is great because of its campus, degrees and i've heard it has the best results in ireland.(again im not going to steriotype everyone saying there all great in school, cos there not haha)

Advertisement