Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ultegra? (6700)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

penexpers wrote: »
    So has anyone used the new Ultegra yet? They have it in Cyclelogical. Only got to see the brifters but they looked nice (levers were carbon).

Blevers? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

I too would be interested to see what the new levers are like, i'm thinking of upgrading & finally get rid of those messy cables in front of the bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭andun84

Is this groupset backward compatible with 6600 as I too would be interested in the levers as they allow adjustments to be made for those with smaller hands such as I have. Would mean I could get with the ugly spacers in the top of my levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

brifters

Just stop. Please. Stop.

I too would be interested in finding out if the new shifters are backwards compatible they probably are even if shimano says they're not. Initially I think shimano said that the new duraace was not compatible with any of the 7800 stuff but cervelo test team went back to using 7800 shifters with an otherwise 7900 group so the new generation must not be as different as we were first told. Ultegra may be the same.

Cranks are a bit ugly though.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Just stop. Please. Stop.

I too would be interested in finding out if the new shifters are backwards compatible they probably are even if shimano says they're not. Initially I think shimano said that the new duraace was not compatible with any of the 7800 stuff but cervelo test team went back to using 7800 shifters with an otherwise 7900 group so the new generation must not be as different as we were first told. Ultegra may be the same.

Cranks are a bit ugly though.

Interesting - what was it they didn't like about the new levers?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not seen anything about the backwards compatibility but the pricing on the levers seems more than double 6600s..

andun84 wrote: »
    Is this groupset backward compatible with 6600 as I too would be interested in the levers as they allow adjustments to be made for those with smaller hands such as I have. Would mean I could get with the ugly spacers in the top of my levers.

the r700s are ultegra level short reach levers afaik if thats any good.

copacetic wrote: »
    the r700s are ultegra level short reach levers afaik if thats any good.

Great - will take a look at those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Interesting - what was it they didn't like about the new levers?

Better shifting performance apparently. Cervelo have no contract with shimano so they can buy and use whatever components they like, whereas sponsored team have to use whatever their sponsor provides. I think the 7800 works better with cervelos oddball rotor cranks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

niceonetom wrote: »
    Cervelo have no contract with shimano so they can buy and use whatever components they like, whereas sponsored team have to use whatever their sponsor provides.

Mmmm interesting, I didn't know that. It's nearly a better endorsement for Shimano that Cervelo chose to use their gear, rather than were paid to use it.

As far as I know Heinrich Haussler uses the new Dura Ace (7790?) levers rather than the 'old' Dura Ace levers.

• Advertisement

Interesting. It seems that they calculated that the force required to move the lever was greater in the 7900 to get a positive shift which is why sometimes people had problems getting it to shift, particularly in the middle gears (for some reason). Seems in their effort to improve aesthetics by internally routing the cabling they sacraficed the shifting quality.

Wonder have they learned any lessons on the new ultegra or will it suffer similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, very expensive groupset. I have to say though, I have been very happy with Ultegra (6600) but if I had to buy a new groupset for a build, I would probably go with Chorus or Force over Ultegra. It is butt ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, very expensive groupset.

Erk. I just checked the prices online and it's definitely not the same price I was being quoted in Cyclelogical. I guess he was quoting me for 6600 and not 6700.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, very expensive groupset. I have to say though, I have been very happy with Ultegra (6600) but if I had to buy a new groupset for a build, I would probably go with Chorus or Force over Ultegra. It is butt ugly.

If I was looking for a new groupset I would definitely go SRAM myself (Compag really doesn't do it for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Under the article on Bikeradar someone posted that it's €640 on bike24.de. I have looked myself though.

I quite like the look of it but I just got my 6600 two years ago so I won't be changing. The new DA shifters are 11 speed adaptable and I reckon the new Ultegra will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Just got this email off ProBikeKit to say there is an extra 20% off Ultegra 6700 groupsets for the next 7 days! Don't know if it makes it good value of anything, I just thought I would let others know in case they were interested and didn't get the message! Good luck ;)

EDIT: It's €668 now including the reduction, obviously not such a fantastic deal judging the last poster saying it's available for €640 somewhere! (Off topic but the 70% off PBK cable sets seems like good value if you know how to do this job yourself - not like me! :( Only €4.69 seems good to me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cables are quite easy, I am going to buy a few of them myself, it is a crazy cheap price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    Cables are quite easy, I am going to buy a few of them myself, it is a crazy cheap price.

It really is, going to pick up a few sets myself. You can never have enough cables.

It really is, going to pick up a few sets myself. You can never have enough cables.

Thought i'd join the party - 4 sets of black will start of my flat bar to drop bar winter bike conversion project nicely :D (It'll probably summer next year before I get all the bits together and then get round to building it :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thought i'd join the party - 4 sets of black will start of my flat bar to drop bar winter bike conversion project nicely :D (It'll probably summer next year before I get all the bits together and then get round to building it :o)
    Grey is faster!

• Advertisement

Grey is faster!

:D:D And there was me thinking that bald is fastest (or at least that's what I've been trying to tell myself :D)

Just got this email off ProBikeKit to say there is an extra 20% off Ultegra 6700 groupsets for the next 7 days! Don't know if it makes it good value of anything, I just thought I would let others know in case they were interested and didn't get the message! Good luck ;)

EDIT: It's €668 now including the reduction, obviously not such a fantastic deal judging the last poster saying it's available for €640 somewhere! (Off topic but the 70% off PBK cable sets seems like good value if you know how to do this job yourself - not like me! :( Only €4.69 seems good to me!)

Still not a bad deal considering the levers are £278.99 on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Alright cool! I am probably going to buy a set or two incase I learn how to change cables myself in the near future. Maybe I should put this in a thread of its own but I'll just see how it gets on here:

What is included in the set, is it all you would need to change both brake and both gear cables or just one of each (or just one cable). I'm now to buying cable as you can see, is there a difference between brake and gear cables and are there different cable for different kinds of bikes (specifically different brakes and gear mechanisms)? Like would these be OK to put on a top end race bike with full Dura-Ace or would you recommend going with Dura-Ace cables (would you notice a difference, durability or performance wise because I heard Dura-Ace brake pads are hard to beat...so maybe its worth spending the extra couple of euro in these areas is it? What do ye think?)

I know it says outer cable ferrels included, I'm not quite sure what these are as of yet but I'm just wondering is the cable housing included (or would you recommend keeping the Dura-Ace housing? I would have thought you would change everything all at once, but one website said you don't have to do them together and often replace them separately?)

Sure I'll order some and continue to look around for advice, although so far I can find any good tutorials for a road bike (so if anyone comes across a decent one, let me know! Cheers). The last thing I want to do is mess uo my good bike! Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

P.S. Should we start a thread for bargain alerts because the SMART LED's were really very popular indeed and I can imagine these would be too! Just an idea :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

couple of sets for me too. Nicely spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Two sets for me too. Also picked myself up some of those spoke LED's for the winter commuting evening.

Advertisement