Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish UF Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

If you're not a member of an Ultimate club who can order discs then try the UK supplier Lookfly:
    -the link is to a page in their shop. I've bought stuff from Lookfly, totally reliable. BTW get a copy of the "Above & Beyond" dvd while you're at it and you'll see what can be done with a frisbee!
    http://www.lookfly.com//shop/index.php?cPath=51_72&osCsid=870982bbff99a6af369cc7d96769820c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jthayden

Hey Guys,

Can anyone point me to a pick up game? I saw the post about Herbert Park, but it's a little old, are people still playing on Sundays down there? What about during the week?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jewel

Hey,

Due to tournaments over the last couplde of weeks pick will be starting up again this weekend on Sunday at 2pm. But we had to move it to Deer Park which is, well a rough estimate 20 minute cycle, 10 minute drive from Herbet.

If you sign up to this email group you will be able to get updates on what is happening in Ireland regarding ultimate and when pick up is on and where:) There will also be past emails you would have missed on the home page so you can get up to date

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/pookas/

Anything else I can help you with?

Jewel

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭starringme

Does anyone know of a (not a college) frisbee club in Dublin that accepts total beginners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jewel

Ok anyone from beginner to expert is welcome to pick up every Sunday at 2pm. Check out www.irishultimate.com for weekly updates on where it is going to be held each week. Also sign up to, if you are not already, the Pookas yahoo group to receive emails about what is currently going on in Irish ultimate. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/pookas/

Summer league is starting up really soon and if you are around for the summer it is definitely something that can't be missed. Basically an email will be sent around (on the Pookas list) giving the starting date and how to amply. The summer league is basically a hat tournament that runs trough the summer. You will be asked to rate your experienced and the teams will be made as even as possible.

There is also a Cork Beach tournament which is happening the weekend of the 16th of June which is also a great way to meet new people and to get to know how the game is played. You can find out more details on this on the Cork Ultimate web page. http://www.ultilinks.com/tournaments/corkbeachhat/

So I hope that answers your question. Get in touch with people over the Pookas mailing list I don't think too many people actually look at this section on Boards anymore.

Emer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BSmith

Terenure College now has one,
    My friend is the manager, it is all very casual at training level, and most of the time it is evening sessons in the Terenure Area, etc. Be forewarned, it is a teenage team mainly, with an odd 20 year old now and again. Girls are welcome to the best of my knowledge, but not insured :D

I'll ask if anyone is interested! I'm the manager of the three person B team!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭starringme

There is a UF club of sorts in the Dublin 15/ Castleknock region. It started in Autumn 07 and is really just a casual group - guys and girls, from several countries - playing as many Sundays as people are available.

We stopped for the winter but are hoping to start up again now that the weather is gradually improving. Generally an email is sent out to the group address asking if many people can be there at the weekend, and if the weather holds up, we play.

It's a very fun sport, and a great way to get fit. When the evenings get longer we may start playing during the week as well. Anyone - anyone! - is welcome. For more details, please email me at lornab2@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 super ted rules

Frisbee.... whats this about the two pint challenge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Frisbee.... whats this about the two pint challenge ?

The threee pint challenge:

A standard 175g frisbee hold almost exactly three pints. The challenge requires three pints of beer, two people, two straws and a total disregard for your liver. The two particpants both drink from the frisbee through a straw. I've heard of times as low as 15 seconds.

If the three pint challenge is too easy for you, try the two bottles of wine challenge.

I don't recommend actually trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Any clubs, or even groups/pickup teams, down in Wexford? or will I have to set one up in the summer to get my frisbee fix? Studying in Wales at the moment, I'm on the Mwnci See team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

hey lads

i just came across ultimate frisbee on youtube and was wondering how do i go about getting involved? where can i play? are complete beginners accepted?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

Hi Enemy,

I used to play in Herbert park on sundays.......not sure if it's still goiing?

Was thinking of giving it another go, so, would be interested in knowing if you find a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Anyone read the article in the Irish Times Magazine? Eoin Butler wrote it (possibly the same chap who did Mongrel magazine?) and the tone was less than appreciative. To my mine, Ultimate players came off as unathletic and the emphasis was certainly put on the 'student' side of the game, both of which are misrepresentations of the sport and the players I think. Right irate, I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Yes there's an open game (called pick up) every Sunday and every Thursday night in Herbert park. Sunday starts at 3 o clock and Thursday nights start at 7pm. Both on the soccer pitch.

Its open to people of every level including complete beginners.

If you want to go it'd be handy to bring a light and a dark shirt, so football boots and some water. There's been a lot more people around the last month or two so come along.

There's more details about pick up on the IFDA site http://www.irishultimate.com/beginners/game.php?Type=2

Oh and i read the Irish times article too and it was woeful! The guy really didn't know what he was on about.

A player named Jim from the University of Limerick has created a google map of all the clubs in Ireland, so for anyone interested in finding where they're closest club is they can find the info here;

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109643436328235260748.0004580f879952b2ef07d&ll=53.46189,-7.415771&spn=4.428678,9.887695&z=7

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flossy Flossy

Does everyone have their stab proof vests for this weekend ?

I've got mine ready! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flossy Flossy

Epic weekend, great Torni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Honestcon

Are you people serious - frisbee isn't a sport, its a round piece of plastic thrown around by people who can't play real sports.
    Get off the stage, Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

wow. pretty disappointing words, honestC. ultimate's one of the only sports i actually enjoy playing, mainly because -- while decent -- i'm never quite as good with a ball as i am with a frisbee, and i'm not a fan of "sports" where there's a helluva lot of standing around going on. ultimate is challenging, super fun, keeps you on your toes, gets you muddy sweaty tired and happy all at the same time! :) .. that said, does anyone know where around dublin someone like me might go who just wants a casual pick-up game, or to join a game that isn't necessarily wrought with a tight-knit group of pros?
    cheers!

• Advertisement

personguy wrote: »
    wow. pretty disappointing words, honestC. ultimate's one of the only sports i actually enjoy playing, mainly because -- while decent -- i'm never quite as good with a ball as i am with a frisbee, and i'm not a fan of "sports" where there's a helluva lot of standing around going on. ultimate is challenging, super fun, keeps you on your toes, gets you muddy sweaty tired and happy all at the same time! :) .. that said, does anyone know where around dublin someone like me might go who just wants a casual pick-up game, or to join a game that isn't necessarily wrought with a tight-knit group of pros?
    cheers!

There are a few pick up games in dublin. The most popular would be every Sunday at 2pm in Herbert Park in Ballsbridge. Its open to all levels and usually you get a nice mix of people out looking for a game.

There are a couple more games on saturday but i'm not too familiar with them.

More information on those are here http://irishultimate.com/beginners/game.php?Type=2

that's great, thx :) i'd heard about the herbert park game, but didn't know times. hopefully i'll make it tomorrow. cheers!

anyone(group) interested in a pickup game today, sunday 24 may, in phoenix park? i missed the 14:00 for herbert park (had times mixed up) but i'm up near phoenix all day today, and it's a gorgeous one for a game! if we can rally some people together for 15:00 or even 16:00, that'd be great. i can be reached on

i've got a disc, just need more bodies!
    cheers,
    -pg

the herbert park pick up game is on at 3 these days, it changed last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jambolian

Hey guys, just coming into the scene now, played around in griffith and played a few in belvedere college, whats the story with newcomers, herb park on sunday? around 3, all welcome i suppose? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jambolian

Also forgot to mention, anyone up for gettin a team goin, the region of stillorgan, sandyford, dunlaoighre? it needs a team?

jambolian wrote: »
    Hey guys, just coming into the scene now, played around in griffith and played a few in belvedere college, whats the story with newcomers, herb park on sunday? around 3, all welcome i suppose? thanks

Yep Herbert Park at three every sunday is the way to go. This week there's a pre-pickup skills clinic on at 2 beforehand which focuses on handling. Would be a good buzz and you might learn something before playing pick up.

Don't know anyone around your area im afraid but best of luck. If you do get some people get in touch with the IFDA and they might be able to help with coaches or maybe even discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pianofella

wooooooooooooooooooooo frisbee

anyone in D8 (rialto/crumlin/dolphin's barn) interested in using up these last couple hours of sunday sunshine in a park throwing a disc around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 iSeeStars

Ultimate frizbee? .. since when is this a sport? ... genuises!!

Advertisement