Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Wardens

Options
  • 05-07-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I’ve got problems with a two poorly supervised Vicious Rottweiler’s that have killed kittens. The owner walks the dogs at the same time everyday but never seems to come in contact with the Dog Warden!!!!!:mad:
    Does anybody know what hours the Dog Warden operates between in Kildare? (not the opening hours in the kennels)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have one question. Are the dogs under control when being walked ? On a lead or similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

http://www.ispca.ie/ISPCA-Dog-Warden-Service.aspx

Also I'll echo the question above, are they walked (in control) with a lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

Sometimes off the lead, but I thought all dogs are suppose to be on the lead all the time or is this not the law?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs
    Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

* American Pit Bull Terrier
    * English Bull Terrier
    * Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    * Bull Mastiff
    * Dobermann Pinscher
    * German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    * Rhodesian Ridgeback
    * Rottweiler
    * Japanese Akita
    * Japanese Tosa
    * Bandog

The rules state that:

* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

If I could ask....what has led you to believe the Rotties are vicious? I'm presuming you're basing that conclusion on more than the poor kittens being killed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably the fact they are on that stupid list. People believe that sort of thing.

If I could ask....what has led you to believe the Rotties are vicious? I'm presuming you're basing that conclusion on more than the poor kittens being killed?

All types of dogs can be vicious or not, this generally has not so much to do with the breed but more to do with the raising of the dog(amongst other factors). I’m assuming if they killed something like a Kitten then an animal can be classed as vicious.

Does anyone know the operating hours of the Dog Warden in Kildare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If a dog killed a rabbit in a field, would that be classed as vicious? As horrific and sad as it is, I think that it is only natural for a dog to kill small animals such as kittens, rabbits, squirrels etc. Is a cat classed as vicious for killing birds and mice?

ISDW wrote: »
    If a dog killed a rabbit in a field, would that be classed as vicious? As horrific and sad as it is, I think that it is only natural for a dog to kill small animals such as kittens, rabbits, squirrels etc. Is a cat classed as vicious for killing birds and mice?

Yes I suppose your right, any animal can be classed as Vicious (characterized by violent or destructive behaviour.)

I have come across many vicious labs, jack russells and various small terrier type dogs but never a vicious rottweiler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I was bitten (quite badly) in the upper leg by a Golden Lab once as I was cycling past his house. My dog has been set upon several times - by Jack Russels - one of whom bit him in the face and gave him two black eyes. We've only met a couple of Rotties, but they've been the softest most obedient dogs.

Having said that, no dog should be left to savage small animals, so these dogs are inadequately restrained and need to be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

fruitbats wrote: »
    I’ve got problems with a two poorly supervised Vicious Rottweiler’s that have killed kittens.

Unfortunately - "dangerous" dogs breeds can be owned by idiots. I am aware that there are great dog people who have pets of these breeds and they are fine. But unfortunately - there is a large element in society today that have certain types of dogs that they shouldn't - because they are only getting the dog for image or in some cases as a weapon or for fighting.

In the case of what fruitbats just said - the dogs are poorly supervised - and are classified as possible "dangerous" breed dogs. So before we go into each dog breed behaviour - maybe the issue here is the owner and something that the dog warden can address there.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have come across many vicious labs, jack russells and various small terrier type dogs but never a vicious rottweiler.

I agree completely the majority of all dogs are loyal, obedient, and incredibly passive regardless of the breed. I know its common knowledge that Rottweiler’s are great with kids because of their temperament but…….. Unfortunately in this case which may be 0.001% of the population of Rottweiler’s in Ireland that these two dogs might have been mistreated or maid aggressive due to beatings etc. so it just means you have not come in contact with these two. Any Idea of the working hours of the Dog Wardens? Saturdays etc

Ring Kildare county council in Naas and ask. They will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Try contacting this guy in Kildare for info - http://www.irishdogs.ie/Contact.htm

If the issue is of public safety - why not call the Garda for advice / info.

http://www.ispca.ie/ISPCA-Dog-Warden-Service.aspx

I posted this already - it has a list of the dog wardens and contact numbers to find out information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

A roth killed one of my cats right before my eyes .
    that was last year still waiting for dog warden to do somthing.
    I have four dogs myself,one a terrier. they never even chase my cats.
    think roths should be on list.

If you're going to shorten the breed name try Rotts, or Rotties....Roth is short for Rothman cigarettes.
    Sorry about your cat... but why label ALL Rottweilers as deserving to be on a list that is neither accurate nor effective in its purpose? If an Italian guy mugged you would you assume ALL Italians are muggers?
    Your dogs don't chase your cats because they know them as part of the household/family.
    What exactly is a Dog Warden supposed to do about your cat being killed anyway? Wardens aren't employed to walk the beat protecting cats and other smaller animals from dogs. Maybe you should be held liable for having your cat out and about and not under your control!

Seriously....your view is rather narrow minded. I apologise if that offends, but as a dog (and cat) owner/lover, I'm offended by your remark.... it's uninformed opinions similar to yours that brought that bloody list about in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

I feel so sorry for you and for me. we are both responsable animal owners.
    But YOU DONT KNOW THE HALF OF IT.
    My neighbour has three rotts or whatever you call them.
    They have on several ocassions come on to my property,
    killed my cats tore my garden apart, broke garden furinture,
    ripped the cover off my husbands boat, growled at me when i tell
    them to go home, i am afraid to get the washing off the line when it gets dark. one off them circled the car for an hour one day, growling at me.
    All my relations are afraid to let small children, visit. I got in touch with guards they say its the dog wardens prob, he is over worked. so who is there to protect my family. looks like some irresponsible dog owners and dogs have more rights than me. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

CATWOMEN wrote: »
    them to go home, i am afraid to get the washing off the line when it gets dark. one off them circled the car for an hour one day, growling at me.
    All my relations are afraid to let small children, visit. I got in touch with guards they say its the dog wardens prob, he is over worked. so who is there to protect my family. looks like some irresponsible dog owners and dogs have more rights than me. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wow, your neighbours dogs regularly break into your garden and act agressively? I'd be livid. There is without doubt a case there for the warden. Ring him again and tell him exactly what is going on.

On a side note though, your neighbours are not responsible enough to own ANY dog. It is not the rotties fault, it is your neighbours fault. Sounds like a nightmare for you. But the responability falls on the dog owner, not the dog itself. There is no such thing as an irresponsible dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Catwomen, it sounds horrific having to deal with neighbours like that. I can see why your opinion would be coloured against rottweilers having to deal with them on that basis. I'm sure that if your neighbours had other kinds of dogs that were behaving that way, you'd be feeling the same way about them, and I wouldn't blame you in the slightest.

Please keep on at the Gardai and the warden, those dogs are out of control, not the dogs' fault, the neighbours shouldn't have dogs of any description if they allow them to roam like that and to cause so much fear and unhappiness. Would you consider getting a solicitor's letter, warning that you will take legal action if the dogs come into your garden again?

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I adore dogs but if one had killed my cat the last time it was on MY property and kept coming back for more, I would not hesitate to protect my animals. By any means. Do you not have the same right to protect pets from dogs as farmers do for livestock?

I know a fella who had a jack russel jump over his back wall on 2 or 3 occasions and kill his rabbits. The last time the dog did it, he dyed the dog blue and sent it home with a letter stuck to his collar.

CATWOMEN, I suggest any time that any of your neighbours dogs get onto your property, get photos or even better a video, then bring it to the garda. Those owners sound like they are doing everyone in Ireland with a restrivted dog an injustice, not just you. Sorry bout your poor cat.:(

Had I known 'the half of it' my reply would have been very different. The impression I got from your earlier post was that you believed Rotties deserved to be on the Restricted Breed list because they killed your cat.

What you're subjected to living with is outrageous, you've every right to be angry and to expect something to be done about your neighbours' lack of control over their dogs. I second the suggestion of seeing a solicitor about this....sometimes legal backup with a complaint is what it takes. Keep copies of any correspondence, take photos, record or write down telephone conversations, ask your other neighbours for their support in writing or their account of their experience living near these dogs.
    And hound the Warden...ring him, leave messages etc every day til he turns up and addresses the problem.

A roth killed one of my cats right before my eyes .
    that was last year still waiting for dog warden to do somthing.
    I have four dogs myself,one a terrier. they never even chase my cats.
    think roths should be on list.
    That is awful :(
    Not all rottweilers are like that I promise.
    All my relations are afraid to let small children, visit.

That's bang out of order - dogs (no matter what breed) should be under care and control of their owners. The owners are clearly irresponsible and shouldn't have these or any dogs.
    I would call the dog warden every day, you are being threatened and harassed in your own home.
    Have you spoken to your neighbours about this?
    I would also call the ISPCA and see if they can help. Those dogs need serious re-training to learn how to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think your neighbours should be on the restricted breeds list. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Sorry to read about your cat CATWOMEN.
    The problem is not the dogs themself but HOW the owner trains their dogs.
    If you are a responsible owner, you can own any type of breed and make them behave properly. This is really not the dog's fault but the owner. They should be banned to own any kind of dog.
    As the others said, you should get in touch again and again with the dog warden, keep records (time, date etc...) of everything happened.
    Get in touch with the ISPCA and ask for their legal department or so (not sure if they have that in Ireland).
    Am very disappointed that Ireland does not have a strong law against animal cruelty and irresponsible owners, and so many people get away with all the irreponsible behaviours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tallanted

So what time does the warden patrol Kildare at?

tallanted wrote: »
    So what time does the warden patrol Kildare at?

Ring them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I adore dogs but if one had killed my cat the last time it was on MY property and kept coming back for more, I would not hesitate to protect my animals. By any means. Do you not have the same right to protect pets from dogs as farmers do for livestock?

I know a fella who had a jack russel jump over his back wall on 2 or 3 occasions and kill his rabbits. The last time the dog did it, he dyed the dog blue and sent it home with a letter stuck to his collar.

CATWOMEN, I suggest any time that any of your neighbours dogs get onto your property, get photos or even better a video, then bring it to the garda. Those owners sound like they are doing everyone in Ireland with a restrivted dog an injustice, not just you. Sorry bout your poor cat.:(
    gather pictures and video evidence of these dogs roaming wild and sue your neighbours and the court will fine them and compensate you and probably order the dogs destroyed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement