Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting television, perhaps...

Options
  • 28-06-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

A new series starting tonight on Channel 4:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/revelations

Tonight's show follows several non believers as they attend the 8 weeks Alpha Course.

I am hopeful that this will be very interesting.

MrP

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Saw that - looks interesting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Won't be in the house at the time but it looks like really worth watching. Might even get up super early on thursday morning for the repeat!

check out some of the hilarious comments on their site:
    It sounds like a propaganda program to me. Brain washing agnostic people into believing some superstitious nonsense. Isn't that like indoctrination and cult behaviour? Should be banned in the UK.
    tut tut indeed

Húrin wrote: »
    Might even get up super early on thursday morning for the repeat!

It should be available to watch for free immediately after (and for the next 30 days or so) on their website catch-up service. This is the proper link, I think:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I love tongues, class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone else watching??

I had a revelation during the programme when they were getting to speak in tongues at the camp.....it was amazing, truly beautiful.....that fantastic, burbling, rumbling sound of the Ford V8 in the GT40 interrupting the congregation confirmed my belief that religion is a load of old nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

I felt uncomfortable watching the show. It reminded me that religious memes are very similar, even though they claim not to be.

I didn't think the Christians running the Alpha course were no better than the Scientologist. Preying (or should that be praying) on people who are troubled in one way or another, claiming that they have the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

pts wrote: »
    claiming that they have the answer.

Well they definitely have an answer, you can say that for sure. I suppose I could have all the answers too if I didn't have to back up anything I was saying or follow the rules of logic

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Well they definitely have an answer, you can say that for sure. I suppose I could have all the answers too if I didn't have to back up anything I was saying or follow the rules of logic

That's very true. What annoys me though is that an answer is billed as the answer. What annoys me even more is that it's accepted as a good answer. Good answers are logical and can be used to predict future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

This claims that it 'explores the impact religion has on the lives of believers and non-believers in Britain today'. Religion. In general. And yet it's only about Christianity, far as I can see.

Pure propeganda drivel. Don't care how good the films are, it sickens me that this kind of brainwashing muck is still being shown.

Christianity, and indeed most organised religion, is propegated by fear. And here, they take that fear and they feed it, to force them into accepting faith. For shame, Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Urizen wrote: »
    This claims that it 'explores the impact religion has on the lives of believers and non-believers in Britain today'. Religion. In general. And yet it's only about Christianity, far as I can see.

Pure propeganda drivel. Don't care how good the films are, it sickens me that this kind of brainwashing muck is still being shown.

Christianity, and indeed most organised religion, is propegated by fear. And here, they take that fear and they feed it, to force them into accepting faith. For shame, Channel 4.
    Perhaps you should have actually watched the programme? I am assuming that you did not. If you had have, you would probably know that next weeks episode is about Muslim schools in the UK, I don't think they teach christianity there...

I found it quite funny, and a little bit silly. I was actually considering going on one of the courses to see what it was like. Don't think I will bother now, I am not sure I could stop myself from laughing.

• Advertisement

It should be available to watch for free immediately after (and for the next 30 days or so) on their website catch-up service. This is the proper link, I think:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

Thanks. I'm not very up on television technology. Unfortunately though

"Rights agreements mean that our 4oD service is only available in the UK. Even if you are a citizen of the UK you cannot access the service from abroad."
    Preying (or should that be praying) on people who are troubled in one way or another, claiming that they have the answer.

What's wrong with trying to help people? What's wrong with a troubled person trying to help themselves by looking to see if Christianity has an answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

What's wrong with trying to help people? What's wrong with a troubled person trying to help themselves by looking to see if Christianity has an answer?

Because christianity claims it has THE answer and not just AN answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had to record it.

Baba was a bit unwell so we watched Makka Pakka, Iggle Piggle and the Toomliboos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    we watched Makka Pakka, Iggle Piggle and the Toomliboos.
    Felt my life was too short to watch C4, let alone Makka and company's burblings. Down that way, my friend, lies the chilly corpses of a million parents. Be warned.

So we watched the Muppet Show and Shaun the Sheep instead, and we felt mighty good about the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

MrPudding wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have actually watched the programme? I am assuming that you did not. If you had have, you would probably know that next weeks episode is about Muslim schools in the UK, I don't think they teach christianity there...

I did watch it. Admittedly, I DID also give up halfway. That's better so. Makes more sense too, C4 are usually relatively broad minded.

Thanks for lettin me know that, prob give it a look next time so.

Still propeganda filth though, obviously. But it'll be interesting to see the brainwashing of other religions too. Compare and contrast, ya know?

I'm glad you asked :)

Let's put aside (for the moment) if the God of the Bible exists or not. I think some techniques used in the course were manipulative. If we go back to my favourite example, Scientology I might be able to clarify what I mean. In Scientology they have techniques for getting people into the "religion". In Scientology speak it's about "finding a persons ruin", i.e. finding someone's weakness and exploiting it.

When I watched the documentary yesterday I felt the alpha course did something similar. They used emotions that all people feel from time to time (loneliness, lack of purpose etc) and then implied that they could help them. They then used techniques like love bombing. I also didn't like that any time some one felt something when they were their hypnotic rituals (the group silence, speaking in tongues over music etc) they implied it was God (or the holy spirit).

In my opinion they are selling snake oil, except if the snake oil doesn't work you can't complain as you'll be told there is nothing wrong with the miracle cure, it's you who is doing it wrong.

The whole speaking in tongues also annoyed me, but that's a thread in itself.

liah wrote: »
    Because christianity claims it has THE answer and not just AN answer.

Thus it should not be permitted to give any answer?
    When I watched the documentary yesterday I felt the alpha course did something similar. They used emotions that all people feel from time to time (loneliness, lack of purpose etc) and then implied that they could help them.
    Again, what's the problem with acknowledging real problems and trying to help?
    They then used techniques like love bombing.
    It sounds like they are a bunch of friendly people. Is that so hard to believe? It would be in line with most of my own experiences of Christians so far.
    I also didn't like that any time some one felt something when they were their hypnotic rituals (the group silence, speaking in tongues over music etc) they implied it was God (or the holy spirit).
    They're Christians. Of course they believe in God.

No, it should not be permitted to make out that it has the answer. It should make it clear that it is one of many unsubstantiated answers
    Acknowledging problems that everyone has and making out that they have the solution. It's what all cults do. I suppose you think this one is different because you think they actually do have the answer ;)

Believing in God does not mean that everything should be attributed to him. How likely do you think it is that the person was actually being made speak in tongues by God?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No, it should not be permitted to make out that it has the answer. It should make it clear that it is one of many unsubstantiated answers
    Why would Christians claim to have an unsubstantiated answer. The reason they are doing it it because they think it is substantiated.
    Acknowledging problems that everyone has and making out that they have the solution. It's what all cults do. I suppose you think this one is different because you think they actually do have the answer ;)
    Same as many people do with atheism and humanism. Make it out as if it's the universal solution to a host of problems.

Seriously though, every group who is promoting a meme thinks it has some advantage over others. That's why they're promoting that one and not another. It's no crime. You make everything out to be a crime!

Every piece of Alpha Course literature I've seen is quite open about the possibility of leaving the course if it's not working for you. I'm getting a strong sense of desperation to smack the aul' "cult" label on anything you don't like.
    Believing in God does not mean that everything should be attributed to him. How likely do you think it is that the person was actually being made speak in tongues by God?
    It doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the Alpha course people think. I see no reason why you wouldn't expect them to think their toungue speaking is attributable to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

It was interesting. Always wondered what went on at them courses. Tongues? Oh dear.

• Advertisement

Why would Christians claim to have an unsubstantiated answer. The reason they are doing it it because they think it is substantiated.
    So your god's existence has been proven has it? I didn't get the memo.
    Same as many people do with atheism and humanism. Make it out as if it's the universal solution to a host of problems.

Seriously though, every group who is promoting a meme thinks it has some advantage over others. That's why they're promoting that one and not another. It's no crime. You make everything out to be a crime!

Every piece of Alpha Course literature I've seen is quite open about the possibility of leaving the course if it's not working for you. I'm getting a strong sense of desperation to smack the aul' "cult" label on anything you don't like.
    If atheists and humanists make out that they have the universal solution then they're also wrong to do so. This actually brings back the problem with religious reasoning. I can tell you all my ideas but I don't make out they're backed up by the creator of the universe.

edit: all cults have in their literature that you're free to leave at any time btw, except for islam which prescribes death for doing it
    It doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the Alpha course people think. I see no reason why you wouldn't expect them to think their toungue speaking is attributable to God.

"It doesn't matter what I think" ->translate -> "of course it's not god doing it and of course they are deliberately making out that it is to trick people into accepting what they're saying, like all cults".

These people are saying they can summon miracles on demand. Even if God exists, they are fraudsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

My hero, Derren Brown's take on it here.

Excellent article. Nice site actually, I will have to have to spend a bit of time reading.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My hero, Derren Brown's take on it here.

Cheers for that, anyone dare to put it in the Christianity forum and ask them to respond, especially to his closing thought...
    There was an interesting exchange between a questioning attendee and one of the Christians designated to gently persuade them during the small group meetings. The Christian said that God had spoken to him on a bus. He had been asked to carry out an assignment which he felt was probably too much for him, and God has spoken to him, ‘as a voice inside his head’, to say ‘you can’t do it’. The question was asked – a perfectly sensible one – how did he know it came from God, as opposed to from himself? The question was treated as patronising and offensive, by the very people placed there to answer sensible questions. It was brilliantly symptomatic of the problem: that rational discussion has no place at the table. Just believe it because it’s true. End of story.

It sounds like they are a bunch of friendly people. Is that so hard to believe? It would be in line with most of my own experiences of Christians so far.

I think Sam covered most of your objections, but just to reiterate my main objection, which is that the techniques used are manipulative. I think most people would agree that they are, if they were used by a group they didn't agree with (such as Scientology) however when they are used by your religion, then it seems to be ok. The objections then become that the techniques somehow become non manipulative when used by Christians or that they are manipulative but they are justifiable as the Christian God is real. Needless to say I don't agree with either of those objections.

Also kudos to The Mad Hatter for the link to the excellent Derren Brown article. For anyone who hasn't already seen it I can't recommend the Derren interviewed by Richard Dawkins and "Messiah" enough. People like Derren show that people can be manipulated, the only difference between Scientology and Christianity is that Christians are ok with their manipulation since God exists, but not the Scinetologists manipulation because Xenu is obviously made up.

I think Sam covered most of your objections, but just to reiterate my main objection, which is that the techniques used are manipulative.
    But they don’t see it as manipulative. And even if they did, if they actually admitted that they did think it was manipulative they can rationalize it because they are trying to save someone’s immortal soul. What cost your soul?
    I think most people would agree that they are, if they were used by a group they didn't agree with (such as Scientology) however when they are used by your religion, then it seems to be ok.
    But it is not scientology or home cleaning systems or double glazing. It is just harmless old Christianity. How could you possibly object. Next thing you will be telling us that you don’t think people employed by the government in non-religious jobs should nto be offer to pray for people… oh wait…
    The objections then become that the techniques somehow become non manipulative when used by Christians or that they are manipulative but they are justifiable as the Christian God is real. Needless to say I don't agree with either of those objections.
    I would like to think that in most cases they genuinely do not realise they are being manipulative. It is possible they were brought in using the same technique and they are now happy, so what is the harm?
    Also kudos to The Mad Hatter for the link to the excellent Derren Brown article.
    Agreed. It is a whole side to the guy I never knew existed.
    For anyone who hasn't already seen it I can't recommend the Derren interviewed by Richard Dawkins and "Messiah" enough. People like Derren show that people can be manipulated, the only difference between Scientology and Christianity is that Christians are ok with their manipulation since God exists, but not the Scinetologists manipulation because Xenu is obviously made up.
    Hard to argue with that, but I am sure somebody will.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd highly recommend Browne's book, Tricks of the Mind. One of my favourite books of the last decade, really fascinating, and always entertaining. The guy turned out to be a million times more interesting than I'd realised, and very damn funny.

Bearing in mind his Séance and Messiah stuff, I'd say this forum owes him some sort of medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Also kudos to The Mad Hatter for the link to the excellent Derren Brown article. For anyone who hasn't already seen it I can't recommend the Derren interviewed by Richard Dawkins and "Messiah" enough. People like Derren show that people can be manipulated, the only difference between Scientology and Christianity is that Christians are ok with their manipulation since God exists, but not the Scinetologists manipulation because Xenu is obviously made up.

I really must see Messiah actually - I think it's the only one of his specials I haven't seen.

And everyone in the world should read his book, Tricks of the Mind.

Edit
    I'd highly recommend Browne's book, Tricks of the Mind. One of my favourite books of the last decade, really fascinating, and always entertaining. The guy turned out to be a million times more interesting than I'd realised, and very damn funny.

Yeah. Also made me realise he wasn't a fraud. I love the way he kind of starts in character, but it just turns into a rant about psychics half way through.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Rebutting my arguments one by one

Who needs theist to argue with when we've got each other :)
    Funny how predictable responses become after a while though.

• Advertisement

Why needs theist to argue with when we've got each other :)
    Funny how predictable responses become after a while though.
    Like I said in antother thread, it really is quite a racket.

MrP

Advertisement