Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic mother kills baby from shame

Options
  • 18-06-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5565706/Catholic-mother-killed-newborn-baby-from-shame-after-giving-birth-alone.html
    Catholic mother killed newborn baby from 'shame' after giving birth alone

A Catholic mother, who did not know she was pregnant, killed her newly born son within moments of giving birth alone, an inquest heard.

Elizabeth Tevenan, 30, who later died from severe blood loss, gave birth in November 2008 in the downstairs lavatory of the home she shared with her parents in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Miss Tevenan, who was an only child with a strict Catholic upbringing, is believed to have been unaware of the pregnancy until she gave birth.

The inquest at Leamington Town Hall, Warwickshire, heard that her son was born alive and would have taken a few breaths before he died from having tissue stuffed down his throat.

The child who has now been named Nicholas Patrick Tevenan, weighed 6lb 13oz and was born at around 37 weeks.

In a statement read out by the coroner, paediatric pathologist Dr James Lucas said: "His lungs were expanded, he would have only taken a few breaths before death occurred."

He described how a piece of tissue paper was found at the back of the throat.

"This constrained the entrance to the voice box, deliberately obstructing the upper airway, causing asphyxia which caused rapid death."

The inquest heard that Elizabeth had been rushed to hospital after being found by her mother covered in blood, and showed signs of child birth upon examination.

Police then returned to the four-bedroom property to search for an infant where they found a baby concealed under a pile of towels next to the toilet.

PC Judith Wolsey from Warwickshire Police, told the inquest that she had entered the house and followed a trail of blood through the house to the downstairs toilet before finding the baby.

She said: "I felt physically shocked and "I remember saying 'there's a baby' - I couldn't believe what I'd seen."

The officer told the inquest how they picked the baby up and tried to resuscitate him until the ambulance arrived.

Elizabeth's parents did not attend the hearing, but the coroner read out a statement from her 58-year-old mother Bridget Tevenan.

In it Elizabeth was described as a "bubbly, happy" girl who loved reading novels, listening to Classic FM and watching Eastenders and Casualty.

Elizabeth was found by her mother in the bathroom on the morning of November 13 after she became concerned about her.

"She was in the downstairs toilet, I called to her through the door, 'Are you ok', and she said 'Yes I'll be out in 15 to 20 minutes'.

Shortly after Mrs Tevenan said when she opened the door she saw her daughter sitting on the toilet with blood all over her legs, at which point she rang the ambulance.

"I said 'Oh my God you've haemorrhaged' - she was white like snow and disorientated," she added.

The inquest also heard that her mother tried to clean the blood from her legs because she wanted her to have "dignity" as she knew there would be men in the house.

Her mother said her family were Catholic and Elizabeth was "brought up very strict".

She said she would have "loved" a grandchild and although she would have "hit the ceiling", if she knew she was pregnant, she would eventually have "calmed down".

The inquest was also told that Elizabeth's mother knew she had a boyfriend, but she had never met him.

The father was identified as Noel Bannister, after DNA tests were carried out. He attended the hearing but refused to comment afterwards.

Coroner Sean McGovern said: "I am entirely satisfied she was unaware of her pregnancy. It is impossible to know when she became aware she was giving birth.

"If she'd been aware her water broke, it's likely to me that early medical attention could have prevented her death.

"My verdict is that she died as a result of natural causes.

"I am satisfied the child was born alive but someone deliberately pushed tissue paper into the throat causing asphyxia leading to the death of the person."

The coroner said they could have been "acting in a condition of complete panic" and recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Hooray for Catholicism. It's only function is to breath fear and shame into weak minded people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

"who did not know she was pregnant"

ABUHHHHHHH :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The same could of happened if the parents were strict athiests, tbh. It wouldn't be the first time a woman killed her child in order to pretend it never happened. Terrible sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

A lunatic killed her baby. Catholicism is irrelevant here. And I'm no fan of the church

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

"who did not know she was pregnant"

ABUHHHHHHH :confused:
    The figures the paper gave were startling - every year in France, between 1,600 and 2,000 women apparently suffer from pregnancy denial, and at least 230 discover or admit they're pregnant only at the moment they give birth.

Surprisingly, most of the examples cited were not of teenage girls who had never had a baby - they were mainly mothers of at least two children who were all so mentally opposed to the thought of having another child that they didn't show a single physical symptom of their pregnancy.

Source

Interesting, to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Them darn pesky Catholics up to their old tricks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

That is hearbreaking really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They have a mental break and just do not acknowledge any of the signs or symphoms and put them down to other things. It's more common then people think and is pretty unforunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

A lunatic killed her baby. Catholicism is irrelevant here. And I'm no fan of the church

I disagree - the mother herself said that she would have 'hit the ceiling' if she had known her daughter was pregnant. She also mentioned she was a strict Catholic which basically means that she was opposed to sex outside of marriage. It's a logical conclusion that the reason she would have 'hit the ceiling' would be because of her religious beliefs. It's not like her daughter was a young teen or anything. The daughter obviously knew this, and because the parents were so strict a 30 year old woman was afraid to tell them the truth!

It's very, very sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

In fairness tho at 30 you have to stop caring about what your parents want and be your own person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tupins wrote: »
    I disagree - the mother herself said that she would have 'hit the ceiling' if she had known her daughter was pregnant. She also mentioned she was a strict Catholic which basically means that she was opposed to sex outside of marriage. It's a logical conclusion that the reason she would have 'hit the ceiling' would be because of her religious beliefs. It's not like her daughter was a young teen or anything. The daughter obviously knew this, and because the parents were so strict a 30 year old woman was afraid to tell them the truth!

It's very, very sad.

Well her parents are loonies then. I'm no fan of the church either but it's such a soft target and easy excuse for the psycho behaviour of others.

• Advertisement

It's very, very sad.

Yeah but doesn't christianity tell people not to kill? The woman is insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I disagree

She also mentioned she was a strict Catholic which basically means that she was opposed to sex outside of marriage.

There's something about Thou shalt not kill which is kind of important to any Catholic (or human). She's a lunatic that happens to be Catholic.

I'm no fan of religion either.

Edit: Crap beaten to it by jackpalance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

At least the son won't have to grow up to be a catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe she took the 'dropping the kids off at the pool' phrase quite literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The parents arent that great at being Catholocs really if the girl was an only child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

DIY abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Stekelly wrote: »
    The parents arent that great at being Catholocs really if the girl was an only child.

Maybe they only had sex once.

Maybe they only had sex once.

Just like my parents then. My brother and sister were adopted. They... did it once to conceive me. And that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

what a horroble thing to happen. what kind of crazy strict parents would scare their kid so much that she would think this was the only way out?

and she wasn't even a child, at 30 years of age you'd think she would have the cop on and wherewithall to figure it all out.

on the subject of not knowing; it really does happen!if the baby is carried up under the ribs she wouldn't show and i'm guessing she wasn't the type to parade around in skimpy clothes. she was probably too ashamed to discuss her periods and may not have realised that missing one was a sign of pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Another Catholic-bashing frenzy. Just when you think it's all over, it begins all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

At least the son won't have to grow up to be a catholic.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Another lunatic killed their parents and ran off into the night clutching an xbox game there not too long ago. That one wasn't microsoft's fault likewise this one is not the fault of catholicism. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,996 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stekelly wrote: »

Might be worth a look under the patio.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

How come she didn't kill herself from the shame of having sex? or maybe it was an immaculate conception. My parents are ultra conservative catholics too, yet I have had several partners, no shame here I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:(

Just like my parents then. My brother and sister were adopted. They... did it once to conceive me. And that was that.

Maybe you put them off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Catholicism would condemn the infanticide far more than her being pregnant outside wedlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is pretty tragic, but as has been pointed out by other above, it is something that does happen from time to time. Some people go into extreme denial and do messed up crap like.

Also, I fail to see how this has feck all to do with Catholicism, especially in light of the Religions strict Anti-Abortion stance. Going to go out on a limb here and assume, they would be against killing babies right after there born as well.

After all the scandals, why does anyone care what the catholic church thinks anymore, pack of gangsters!
    Its just a big money making racket, biggest scam in history, with a load of rules made up by men trying to keep everyone down!
    Just live your life and try to be a nice person, nevermind religion, its the root of all evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

It is possible that she didnt know until she went into labour, not from denial, just that she didnt know, it happens alot. especially if she was quite heavy to start with. it happens when the baby lies parallel to the mothers spine (afaik, correct me if im wrong!) so theres no big bump. sure i didnt show til six months and i was a size six before i fell pregnant so its fairly possible that she didnt know and its hard enough to find out you're pregnant unexpectantly but when its only when you're in labour im sure its physically shocking!
    god love the person who found the poor baby though, id say it was horrific.

Advertisement