Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€3- 5k - fun / temporary car

Options
  • 27-04-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

(With respect to my recent thread)

I've decided to mothball my ailing '98 A6 until such time as funds allow me to repair it. I'd need 2-3 months at least.

There's no major problem with it, just an accumulation of relatively minor repairs to the tune of €2k (max). The tax is also due and is €330 a quarter. As I posted elsewhere, because of other factors in my life at the moment, this is a temporary cash flow issue and not fundamental brokeness.

I have access to a loan of up to €5k and I was thinking of buying something fun that would be cost effective for up to 6 months and easily shiftable later on. I was also thinking of a < €1,000 banger but I really don't want to go down that road as I often use my car for work.

Does such a car exist? I was thinking about a mk4 Golf GTi...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

cantdecide wrote: »
    (With respect to my recent thread)

I've decided to mothball my ailing '98 A6 until such time as funds allow me to repair it. I'd need 2-3 months at least.

There's no major problem with it, just an accumulation of relatively minor repairs to the tune of €2k (max). The tax is also due and is €330 a quarter. As I posted elsewhere, because of other factors in my life at the moment, this is a temporary cash flow issue and not fundamental brokeness.

I have access to a loan of up to €5k and I was thinking of buying something fun that would be cost effective for up to 6 months and easily shiftable later on. I was also thinking of a < €1,000 banger but I really don't want to go down that road as I often use my car for work.

Does such a car exist? I was thinking about a mk4 Golf GTi...

Personally i'd fix the car in your case.

In a slightly similar situation (NCT out on my banger) I have agreed a price on a '98 200sx at 3k. Hopefully it'll be a bit of fun and be reliable and it will sell on reasonably easily. A '99 - '01 golf would also be in your price range and they are also easily sold on.

What about a Clio 172?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd agree with the above - you should get the Audi fixed straight away besides ploughing more money into another car .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Cars cost money to run, its a fact of motoring. Any car you buy is likely to need tax/repairs/NCT anyway.

You know your car and you know where its been, and once you've repaired it you will have a full NCT too. You'll lose a fortune on resale of any car and owning two doubles your loss. You also lose a packet on taxing cars for 3mths.

Get a small enough loan (credit union?) and get yourself back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ferris wrote: »
    Get a small enough loan (credit union?) and get yourself back on the road.

No Credit Union so a bank personal loan would be what I've had to do. Personally, I don't begrudge the car the maintenance because there's tons of life left in it but won't it be hard to get €2k for repairs to a €2k car??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Maybe consider selling " as is " What repairs need to be done for 2k as a matter of interest ?

• Advertisement

2x Rear Trail arms. 2x rear track arms. 2x 18" rear tyres (consequence of track arm prob) exhaust getting louder. Fuel pump getting louder. Engine oil leak (minor fix)

Also needs headlamp (not urgent) needs fuel level sender (not urgent). Like any car like this, I could spend €5k perfecting everything but realistically, €2k- €2.5k puts me back on the road without any time bombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

spend 2.5 fixing it then another 2.5 modifying it... i don't mean to sound like a boy racer... but a little bit of cash into the engine wouldn't hurt... then just shave your head, get the black suit and be Jason Statham in the transporter :pac:

...and I've just spent about €1,000 on servicing and other repairs.
    S.I.R wrote: »
    ... then just shave your head, get the black suit and be Jason Statham in the transporter :pac:

Way ahead of ya:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm with the others who said to repair the A6. You could try and get your bank to increase your overdraft limit by a couple of thousand if you don't want a specific loan as such.

unkel wrote: »
    increase your overdraft limit by a couple of thousand

A couple of thousand?? Can you do that? I don't even know if I have an overdraft facility.

My desire would be to fix the A6. This could be wishful thinking but could I not use it as an opportunity to find something in the UK that could yield a few quid??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1.8L A6 for €1,550
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/1.8/200914192385104/advert

I take it you're buying all the parts new, as opposed to buying a 1997 A6 for €900 from Galway and taking the parts needed from it?

Have you been driving it since '98, or what is your link to the A6? I can't knock you love of the '98 A6, as I like some of models from the early 90's by Mazda, etc. I ask, because for €5000, I'd say you could get a '00 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Could probably bargain down to €3.5k
    http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2757662#

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

get a cheap Mx-5 from the UK. Be great coming into summer, rear wheel drive, bullet proof reliability and be easy enough to sell in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sorry but I have to disagree on fixing up the A6. They're a fine car but at this stage it's just gonna be a money pit. You would be better off with a 5 series BMW. Much more reliable when they get older and not half as expensive to fix. I would sell the A6 as is and put what little you get for it (and it will be little) along with some other cash into something else. You could always go down the jap route but that doesn't seem your style. You could pick up a 00 5 series for €5k easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

get a cheap Mx-5 from the UK. Be great coming into summer, rear wheel drive, bullet proof reliability and be easy enough to sell in 6 months.

Great little car, not my style at all but a friend of mine recently picked up a minter '93 one for €1.5k! Great value!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cantdecide wrote: »
    2x Rear Trail arms. 2x rear track arms. 2x 18" rear tyres (consequence of track arm prob) exhaust getting louder. Fuel pump getting louder. Engine oil leak (minor fix)

Id fix that. Nothing scary there.
    Can the trail arms be rebushed or have you to buy the complete arm?
    The in tank fuel pump is not very expensive.
    Rear track arms should be cheap and tyres, well, spend what you wish.
    IMO when fixed, you will have a good car in the A6 compared to something cheap you would buy which may well have more issues than the A6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Any interest in a 1990 BMW 635CSI taxed and tested for 4k? I've just done a ton of work to it, all new brake pipes and hoses, some paintwork and a new wheelbearing. It's a lovely car, driving well with remote alarm etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1 , I bought one as a temporary car 2 years ago. The only thing is , I bet you will sell the audi before you part with the mazda. As a matter of interest why do you want to hang onto an old audi? They are hardly a desirable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

junkyard wrote: »
    Any interest in a 1990 BMW 635CSI taxed and tested for 4k? I've just done a ton of work to it, all new brake pipes and hoses, some paintwork and a new wheelbearing. It's a lovely car, driving well with remote alarm etc.

Nice set of Nankangs on it. How do you find them? Alot of people laugh at them being cheap etc but I find them a nice tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

How about 260bhp, registered 2003, safe, fast, affordable, not too dear to tax and great image to boot?

This has all you need. If I was looking to change it'd be on my driveway tomorrow.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/T5/200915192435233/advert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How about 260bhp, registered 2003, safe, fast, affordable, not too dear to tax and great image to boot?

This has all you need. If I was looking to change it'd be on my driveway tomorrow.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/T5/200915192435233/advert
    If it wasn't an automatic I'd probably have rang looking for a test drive already

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you been driving it since '98....you could get a '00 model.

I bought it as an substantial yet affordable big car. It didn't cost the earth and all things told, even the way it is, it's great value for money.
    get a cheap Mx-5 from the UK.

If I weren't 6'4" I'd already have one. I fit well enough but I look like an eejit getting out of it.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    ...it's just gonna be a money pit. You would be better off with a 5 series BMW....go down the jap route but that doesn't seem your style.....
    mickdw wrote: »
    Id fix that. Nothing scary there.

The €2k I'm talking about is based on quotes. I know that fixing it makes the most sense but I'm finding it a bitter pill to swallow when I'd like something else anyway.
    junkyard wrote: »
    Any interest in a 1990 BMW 635CSI taxed and tested for 4k?

Cool car. What's the mileage/ service history situation??
    groupb wrote: »
    ...why do you want to hang onto an old audi? They are hardly a desirable car.

I get compliments all the time.

27092008001.jpg

Cool car too. Fantastic value....
    cianclarke wrote: »

Very cool car and I'd love an auto but too much doh re mi...

A friend has also offered me a minter 00 Legacy B4 Blitzen in red for €5.5k. I love those cars and I know he paid more than twice that less than a year ago. The problem is that it's auto which is my personal preference but I think it makes them much harder to sell. I'd love to have it but I'm not sure I could keep it forever...

Advertisement