Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being nice to your GF/BF... chore or not?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Just been talking to a girl here in work. Apparently her boyfriend has told her to buy nicer clothes, glasses and lose weight. For context she's a size 12 and reasonably attractive (and also training to be a massage therapist). As well as all that, she has to work 2 jobs to pay half of (his) mortgage, and he's just bought her a '99 Golf with electrical and fuel problems.

How in the name of fook can her BF justify saying these things to her without ending up on the wrong end of a shotgun?

So who's been a twat to their OH and learned their lesson? Who hasn't? What made you rethink your twattery? And what you you think about my poor colleague's BF?

(No, this ain't a PI)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Eh..Eh... :confused:

Think I'll pass this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Your colleague should tell her BF to take a running jump imo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The Ricky Lake Show is THAT WAY ====>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hey, lets be honest.. a size 12 isn't exactly tiny, is it?

*waits to be knifed*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

*Knifes Gone drinking* Now that messy buisness is over with, yes, she should tell him to take a long walk.

No, I think most people are generally nice to their other halfs...thats why they still have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Well peoples weight can always change, go up and down from time to time. My wife has lost weight and i have gained weight. To be honest i dont think i ever said anything about her weight. But she was always on about her own weight. Then one day she did something about it and started to go for long walks.

He might be just out of work? hard on his luck dont know the full picture. As long as his trying to do something about it then i would give him time.

Telling someone to change their image is prob another matter. Kind of sounds like his just not happy with the way she looks. And maybe is more concerned about how she looks, to make him self feel happy.

Maybe just not happy in the relationship and hopes it would be better if the other person would change. And not looking at him self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

*waits to be knifed*

Hope you don't mind me knifing you again a few times :D:rolleyes:

I find people who need skinny partners hilarious - have they realised that they can't have an orgasm just by looking at 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Ah the classic case of the love, hate relationship.

*Sits back and smokes pipe while judging

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Well peoples weight can always change, go up and down from time to time. My wife has lost weight and i have gained weight. To be honest i dont think i ever said anything about her weight. But she was always on about her own weight. Then one day she did something about it and started to go for long walks.

He might be just out of work? hard on his luck dont know the full picture. As long as his trying to do something about it then i would give him time.

Telling someone to change their image is prob another matter. Kind of sounds like his just not happy with the way she looks. And maybe is more concerned about how she looks, to make him self feel happy.

Maybe just not happy in the relationship and hopes it would be better if the other person would change. And not looking at him self.

All of which still makes him a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

You've only heard one side of the story and as we all know, our OHs can have selective hearing from time to time.

Don't judge people purely from someone else opinion ;)

As a side note, if someone has put on weight and it's a big issue for their partner, it's better that the partner mentions it than keep it inside and allow it develop into a bigger problem.

• Advertisement

Don't judge people purely from someone else opinion

Are you serious? This is AH!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

His penis must be huge

Confab wrote: »
    Are you serious? This is AH!

Damn, I've missed the door for personal issues again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

have they realised that they can't have an orgasm just by looking at 'em?

Came close once ('scuse the pun) lookin at Monica Bellucci in some movie or other, when I was much younger ofc...

Back on topic, wouldnt normally comment on an OH's weight. He sounds like a control freak tbh, should probably look at himself before trying to redesign his missus.

Pimp my ride spin off maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Just been talking to a girl here in work. Apparently her boyfriend has told her to buy nicer clothes, glasses and lose weight.

If he wants a GF who wears nicer clothes, glasses and is thinner, then go find a woman who answers that description

Stepford is >>> that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

She's gotta dump that zero and get herself a hero! mm-huh. *finger clicking motion*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Just been talking to a girl here in work. Apparently her boyfriend has told her to buy nicer clothes, glasses and lose weight. For context she's a size 12 and reasonably attractive (and also training to be a massage therapist). As well as all that, she has to work 2 jobs to pay half of (his) mortgage, and he's just bought her a '99 Golf with electrical and fuel problems.

How in the name of fook can her BF justify saying these things to her without ending up on the wrong end of a shotgun?

So who's been a twat to their OH and learned their lesson? Who hasn't? What made you rethink your twattery? And what you you think about my poor colleague's BF?

(No, this ain't a PI)

hey i heard her tell that story too im sitting across from you!! go back to work ya punk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

He's not the twat. She's the twat if she's still calling him her boyfriend after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

(No, this ain't a PI)

Fair play to him. He's just telling it how it is. That said tho I'll admit he was wrong to tell her to get new glasses. Enforced lasik is a much better suggestion.

Trí wrote: »
    He's not the twat. She's the twat if she's still calling him her boyfriend after that.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Regarding the subject title itself, being nice should not be a chore - not if you actually like the other person. It should be rewarding to see them smile at your good deed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

dyl10 wrote: »
    :eek:
    Err...:confused:
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    She's gotta dump that zero and get herself a hero! mm-huh. *finger clicking motion*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I think it's pretty obvious you fancy her so leave them alone you home wrecker !!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think the thread title is daft .Like being nice to your GF , chore or not ? Not going to do your relationship much good if you have to think about it to much .

I think the thread title is daft

+1.

Regarding the subject title itself, being nice should not be a chore - not if you actually like the other person. It should be rewarding to see them smile at your good deed

You must be one selfless bastard...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

How is being nice to the person you love a chore? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yer one must know herself that something is wrong if she's told you that.

Don't really get how the title is related.. I just see it as the boyfriend being a bit of a pr*ck. Being nice isn't a chore for me, I'd rather be nice than narky to my OH as he gets pretty pissed if I'm whinging about this and that and doesn't enjoy being around me then. I enjoy buying him presents etc coz I get to see the look on his face when he gets them and is happy or the response I get when I send him a nice text first thing in the morning.

Also... I'm a massage therapist too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Maybe her boyfriend is gay!? Don't think many men give a shiz what women wear?! is it not whats under it that matters?? If he knows that her glasses are outdated then I wonder.... Her boyfriend sounds gay, She sounds like she's leaving out half of the story and the OP needs to ask her out! :)

Advertisement