Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING: Cannibal Taxi Driver At Large

Options
  • 20-04-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

I know we taxi drivers have been saying it's a dog eat dog trade now, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating..:)
    Letterkenny man bitten by 'taxi driver'

BY AMY ROSE HARTE

GARDAI in Letterkenny were yesterday (Thursday) continuing to search for a man who is illegally posing as a taxi-driver in the town and who viciously assaulted one of his passengers this week.

The man, an African, is alleged to have beaten and bitten the passenger after he was asked to produce his taxi licence and badge. The victim, Stephen McDaid (28) from Kirkstown, said the attack was "disgusting" and was badly shaken up by the ordeal.

The incident happened on Monday night in the Kirkstown area of the town.

Mr McDaid (28) said the driver grew aggressive and angry when, as they travelled in his car, he was asked to produce some identification.

A fracas developed between the two men, and Mr McDaid suffered a fractured cheekbone, black eye, chipped tooth, a nasty gash and some bruising. He was also badly bitten on his forehead and was unable to return to work this week.

The shocking incident has sparked fears over the issue of illegal taxi-driving in the town and the seeming ease with which anyone can pose as a taxi-driver.

Speaking to the Donegal News, Mr McDaid, a taximan with Swilly Cabs, said the attack was "disgusting".

"I'm still a bit shaken up and I have a face on me that means I can't really go into work. I've been working as a taxi-driver for around three and a half years and I've never come across the likes of this before," he said.

He explained that he and his wife caught the taxi at around 3am on Monday outside the Central Bar in Letterkenny.

"When we got to the house he asked for €25, but the trip was only a €15 fare, so I rose a ruction with him and the wife got out of the car. He said he wanted to take me to the Garda station in Letterkenny and I said that was ok," he said.

Minutes later, he asked the driver to show him his taxi licence and relevant identity cards.

"He got all aggressive with me and I soon realised I was in an illegal taxi. I reached for my phone to ring the guards, and as soon as my phone came out he pulled it off me, and he still has it to this day. He took out his phone and I went to take that off him, but the two of us ended up breaking it."

The man then proceeded to get out of the car, now parked near the Tir na nOg pub, and removed a fake taxi plate from the vehicle's roof before placing it in the boot.

"He came round to the passenger side to get me out of the car, but I was holding on - I wouldn't get out for him as I wanted to go to the Barracks - so he started battering at me in the door. I tried to restrain him, and he sunk his teeth in me then, just above the left eye on my forehead. It was just the one big bite but it was his full mouth. If a dog had done it to me I'd have blown the head off it, put it that way."

Mr McDaid fled the scene but the other man gave chase.

"When he bit me I decided he was capable of doing anything, so I made off. He did chase me around the roundabout but then a Northern Irish taxi came on the scene, so I jumped in it and he brought me to the Garda station," said Stephen.

He was then taken to Letterkenny General Hospital where he was treated for bruising and swelling to his head. He described the man as being in his 30s, an African, who drove a silver Volkswagen Passat. Following some queries, he discovered that the man has applied for a taxi licence but the application is still pending.

"I know there is illegal taxi-ing going on in the town but I didn't know they were driving with plates on the roof.

"I looked into the car since that, and it the car is pending on a licence so the fella is looking, but he's still an illegal taximan," he said.

"I'm still shaken and if I saw him today, if I was standing beside him, I'd run. I've heard of attacks and this sort of thing before, but somebody sticking their teeth into you when they can do nothing is else - it's disgusting."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not sure canibal is the correct word here....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Saruman wrote: »

Taster?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Mike Tyson on vacation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

galwayrush wrote: »
    Taster?:D

Appetiser :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Saruman wrote: »
    No its cannibal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Om nom nom.

WARNING: Hungry Cannibal Taxi Driver At Large;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Hmm the taxi driver could have easily been from one of those cannibal tribes in Africa or maybe he used to be in the RUF, they had a history of cannabalism too.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Hmm the taxi driver could have easily been from one of those cannibal tribes in Africa or maybe he used to be in the RUF, they had a history of cannabalism too.

Could be a Donegal thing as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Like most master spies/criminals etc. what better way to get off than by eating the evidence, or in this case the witness:)

Hannibal Lecter eat your heart out....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Them Donegal lads are fierce tasty looking anyways, not surprised yer man tried to have an auld bite of him.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Them Donegal lads are fierce tasty looking anyways, not surprised yer man tried to have an auld bite of him.

Have you something you want to tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Oi!

Sure isnt that the norm in Letterkenya. Did anyone catch the cctv camera footage of the local darkies attacking the Garda station??!

*Edit* Here it is actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuaSww3JnA&feature=related

At least there have been no reported swan thefts....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It puts the lotion on its skin or else etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Cannibal Taxi drivers? nothing new really - most of them charge an arm and a leg...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Eats his fare share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Saibh wrote: »
    Have you something you want to tell us?

Donegal lads taste nice.

Oh wait..... I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Aye,the taxi man is a true Donegal man,from Glenswilly I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Meals on wheels?.
    I tried to restrain him, and he sunk his teeth in me then, just above the left eye on my forehead. It was just the one big bite but it was his full mouth.
    Cannibal takeaway?.

If a dog had done it to me I'd have blown the head off it, put it that way."
    Is he admitting to carrying a gun?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Nope,just beastility:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

He's admitting to being a damm tool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Meals on wheels?.

Cannibal takeaway?.

I'd say he's just making excuses for the fact that he got his ass handed to him by the taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,797 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wouldnt a Cannibal Taxi Driver only eat other Taxi Drivers?

If so, I don't understand what the problem is.

Overheal wrote: »
    Wouldnt a Cannibal Taxi Driver only eat other Taxi Drivers?

If so, I don't understand what the problem is.

Maybe in the States, but in Donegal, they like to do things a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I for one welcome our cannibal taxi driver overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

All jokes aside i hope the fella is alright. Sounds like a nasty taxi driver to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe you should post up a link for those usual outraged posters who are probably foaming at the mouth right now yelling "Why did you have to mention he's African?!! What has to do with it? Grr".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Sure isnt that the norm in Letterkenya. Did anyone catch the cctv camera footage of the local darkies attacking the Garda station??!

*Edit* Here it is actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuaSww3JnA&feature=related

At least there have been no reported swan thefts....yet.

"the local darkies" Really? You don't think that's maybe a bit offensive?

Advertisement