Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst tourist trap you fell into?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

In Rome last week I paid 15 euros for an ice cream cone. Don't buy icecream anywhere near the Spanish Steps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I once paid €200 for what I thought was a Tucan - a very nice & rare breed of bird. Turned out that it was a spelling mistake & I ended up with a turban. Damn you, E-Bay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

five for fifty ,,fifty what i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I once paid €200 for what I thought was a Tucan - a very nice & rare breed of bird. Turned out that it was a spelling mistake & I ended up with a turban. Damn you, E-Bay. :D

DEFINE: Tourist Trap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The cliffs of moher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

The Grand Canyon, I couldn't get out.

• Advertisement

DEFINE: Tourist Trap

I was in an internet cafe in Turkey at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I was in an internet cafe in Turkey at the time.

....And?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A tour of Soweto

....And?

And that's it. The Turks have a complicated set-up.. it's an even worse form of tourist trap - they catch you out with bad grammar & terrible syntax. It's dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

On the viewing deck of the WTC, you could put 1c into a machine and it was flattened and had an image of the towers imprinted on it. Cost $1. Hows that for a mark-up :D
    Still have it. Ha, could be worth something in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This pothole in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Cancun, Mexico. Came out of arrivals, looking for our van to the hotel, got caught by someone selling tickets to the attractions in Cancun. She invited us to her hotel for breakfast for the following day. They picked us up, drove us 2 hours into the middle of nowhere to this huge resort...which was a time share. I went mental and they drove us back, minus breakfast. Wasted the whole day!

Still never got the tickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i gave a wanker the equivalent of £20 to shine my shoes in turkey in 1999. the little bastard legged it before giving me change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Anyone ever go to the Blue Grotto off Capri? You pay about 25euro to get boat to Capri ... another 20 to get a boat to the Blue Grotto ... but you only find out when you get there, you've to pay another 20 each plus tip to get an even smaller boat into the Grotto! So between two of us it cost 130euro.

Twas worth it though ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

In Rome last week I paid 15 euros for an ice cream cone. Don't buy icecream anywhere near the Spanish Steps.

How in the name of Jebus did you pay 15€? Surely you would have seen the price before hand? Or if not, then at least not pay it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Actually a good idea for a thread. Well, the reverse I mean. Somewhere in the travel section have a section of top tips for major tourist spots. Example, in NY you can pay I think it's 10 dollars for a ferry to Liberty Island. However it goes too close to the island to get any decent shots of the statue of liberty with manhattan in the backround plus there's always a mad queue. Better off getting the (free) Staten Island ferry if you just want the classic photos. Can get a brilliant shot of manhattan and the statue for nowt.

Biggest tourist trap I've been in was Kyoto. More tourists than locals. (Didn't get ripped off there though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Kingoro border crossing between Zimbabwe and Botswana, just out from Vic. Falls was bursting for a shíte.

Was going to blow out the pipes on the Zim side but some wise arse said the shítters on the Bot. side were better.
    Went for it and discovered there was no fookin arse paper so had to drag a 3K wad of Zim dollars across my hole to get her clean.

About $1 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

steo87 wrote: »
    How in the name of Jebus did you pay 15€? Surely you would have seen the price before hand? Or if not, then at least not pay it??

I'm sure the fiendish Italian wrestled the fifteen euro from his hand, laughing maniacally and shouting "You a-stupid tourist!"...I mean, it's not like he the choice to pay it or not out of his own free will, it was clearly a trap....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

chamonix france, we arrived off the bus, roasting hot day 36C (middle of french august heat wave that killed thousands in 2003) no map so decided to hop in a taxi to get to our hotel, taxi driver drove us all around the town looked a long distance, arrived at the hotel and charged us €25.

we went upstairs unpacked and decided to go for a walk, around the corner and at the top of the road what did we spot but the bus station no more than 500 metres from our hotel, we were pissed to say the least :mad: still rest of trip was fantastic, wonderful part of the world. every new town i visit i make sure to print a map before i leave ;)

Acacia wrote: »
    I'm sure the fiendish Italian wrestled the fifteen euro from his hand, laughing maniacally and shouting "You a-stupid tourist!"...I mean, it's not like he the choice to pay it or not out of his own free will, it was clearly a trap....

That's an awful Italian stereotype.......... Besides, they say "It's a me: Mario"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's an awful Italian stereotype.......... Besides, they say "It's a me: Mario"
    Whatsa matta you eh?

Whatsa matta you eh?

Why you looka so sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Im living in Italy at the moment and was bulling when I payed 6 euro for an ice cream in Florence last week!!
    Piccolo means small, you ask for a piccolo but......... the small is called "baby", it is 4 euro, piccolo is 6! The bas****!!
    They always charge "tourist prices" in cafes here, a local pays about 1 euro for a cappuccino, a tourist anything between 2.50 euro and 5 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Totally agree with you......went to rome for my honeymoon, sat outside at a cafe, met by a lovely server who gave us the days specials and recommended a 'lovely' bottle of wine....whole bill came to nearly 120 euros for two bowls of spagetti and a bottle of wine!! Lesson learnt....ask for menus and make sure prices are on it!!

Just remembered. The whole feckin' place. One price for locals, one (normally 3 times the price) for tourists. Now, I'm not talking some bloke pulling a swifty. I'm talking about all museums etc. There on the price list. Russian and nonrussian prices. That REALLY put me of the place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

In New Orleans, before Katrina, I was approached by a black guy who said something like 'a dollar for the shine, ten for the line'. Before I knew it he had bet me he could tell me where I got my shoes.

At this stage I didn't have clue what he was rabbiting on about and he volunteered the answer - 'You got's them on yo feet man'. He then demanded ten bucks.

I had never heard such BS so I told him to get lost. Two of his mates appear out of nowhere and he gets more 'insistent'. Anyway I wouldn't back down and basically barged my way past.

It was only later that I found out that this is a well known tourist scam and I was lucky not to end up in serious trouble. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Just remembered. The whole feckin' place. One price for locals, one (normally 3 times the price) for tourists. Now, I'm not talking some bloke pulling a swifty. I'm talking about all museums etc. There on the price list. Russian and nonrussian prices. That REALLY put me of the place!!!

Russia in general is a terrible place for that. Apart from all the museums having a special non-Russian price list, they will take the opportunity to rip you off at every opportunity. Restaurants, shops, pubs, they all seem to take pleasure in trying to rip you off. Add to that the breathtaking rudeness of the people, and you have the potential for a bad holiday.

The city itself is amazing though.

IronMan wrote: »
    Russia in general is a terrible place for that. Apart from all the museums having a special non-Russian price list, they will take the opportunity to rip you off at every opportunity. Restaurants, shops, pubs, they all seem to take pleasure in trying to rip you off. Add to that the breathtaking rudeness of the people, and you have the potential for a bad holiday.

The city itself is amazing though.
    +1 Yeah, the city is beautiful and the Hermitage was amazing............. I just could not recommend the place to anyone though (And let's not even talk about the visa and invite scam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

i gave a wanker the equivalent of £20 to shine my shoes in turkey in 1999. the little bastard legged it before giving me change

In fairness for £20, a **** and shinny shoes isn't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Premature ejaculation is what I got out of that post

Advertisement