Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options
  • 08-03-2009 5:24pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is just a bit of fun but also perhaps educational.

If you arent a worker in the E.S. then you probably shouldnt post on this thread. If you want to ask a question about something feel free to start a new thread for that topic specifically.

So to all you E.S. types... I'm guessing theres probably a few things you wish the general public knew about you, your job, the rules, the limits or whatever, which most people have misconceptions about or simply dont know. So, tell us :)

What are the common misconceptions you wish were taught in school so to speak ?? :) What do you wish we knew about the E.S.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Can I get the ball rolling with:

"What do you mean you need me as a witness in court?"

From a complaint about someones driving to serious assault/murder, simply reporting what you saw it to us is not sufficient. The courts require witnesses, sorry but that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

The contents of this forum from page 1 to end...

(particulary a couple from the past few days....;))

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dredre

Arriving at an Emergency Department by ambulance does not mean you will be seen quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

dredre wrote: »
    Arriving at an Emergency Department by ambulance does not mean you will be seen quicker.

Defo this one.
    Every shift someone calls an ambulance because of this big myth, and the look on their face when they're led directly to the waiting room to join the long queue:eek::D

Also to GP's and nurse's in GP surgeries, the Ambulance Service is not there soley to serve you, it's there for everyone else too;)

Message; "Use it, Don't abuse it..!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please don't call 999 unless it is an emergency.

Getting locked out of your home /car is NOT an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

If you are drunk, female and cannot get a taxi, Gardai are NOT obliged to drop you home!

Gardai CAN arrest you without wearing their hats!

and one that i feel i have to mention everynow and again,

Regular Gardai DONT CARRY GUNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

We can use our phones while driving!

Just cause the lights and sirens aint on dont mean we aint responding to a call!

A noisy party has nothing to do with the Gardai so please dont ring us about them (unless its your party and your inviting us to it;))

I will not certify documents as being true copies of the originals this aint my job a comissioner of oaths will do this but at a fee.

Oh and one last little rant ES personal are not robots we are entitled to a break and to eat so please refrain from passing comments when you see us buying lunch:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

We don't know the bus numbers.

We do need to eat and drink, would you prefer me to go back to the station for lunch? or can I go to the cafe and therefore be nearer the action if I'm needed (i.e. please let me have my grub without making a stupid comment)

If we need medical assistance we will ask, do not come up to an incident, not knowing what's happening and shout "do you not know the recovery position..... every day folks, thats what we get!!

If the tape says "do not enter" ... that's what it means, your impatience could cause a criminal to get away...stay out of crime scenes!

Blue light, sirens, if they are behind you and you cant see or hear them... see a doctor, and sell your car, cos you shouldn't be on the road.

Those are prisoner meals we're getting. I you want to open a cell door to a violent person to feed them, please feel free to volunteer, otherwise let us get the prisoner meals...again without silly comments.

No I'm not sending a car to the shop cos they wont give you a refund.
    I'm not calling to your landlord because your fridge is broke.

Yep, If you called, I've caught the bad guy, I do need you in court. That's the system I'm afraid...not my decision.

Thats todays rant... my apologies. It's an honour and pleasure to serve the majority of the public who are fantastic to deal with.
    Please stay away from the Garda when your drunk, they are working, they do not need to have the conversation with you!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I pay my own wages too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

psni wrote: »
    I pay my own wages too!

I love it when people who haven't worked a day in their lives say that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

DFB: "Fire and Ambulance Service?"
    Caller: " High Can you send the Fire Nigade, I've a burst pipe?"
    OR
    Caller: " Theres a cat stuck up a tree"

Fire Brigade are not plumbers and The F#*king cat will come doen when it gets hungry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

When people dont realise that we (DFB) are Paramedics as well as Firefighters. Its amazing how people call for an ambulance for a serious case and when the Fire Engine shows up they start complaining saying ''I didnt call the fire brigade I called an ambulance'', not realising theres 5 or 6 Paramedics on board.

Oh, and about people thinking the ambulance helps them skip the queue..... Brings a smile to my face every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Can scummers not get it into their heads that fire engines are not designed to be moving red targets for them to lob bottles, bricks and stones at.
    What part of that is hard to understand?!!!!

I've a pain in my hole being bricked:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Paul.

I'm waiting for the day I catch one of our locals throwing a bottle/brick at a fire engine.

It's the day I'll start believing in Justice again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

When we're in the chipper, 90% of the time it's getting prisoner meals, so no need for the smart comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

When people call in a "Chinmley fire" as a "oh i think my house is on fire"

And the operator asks are they people inside??

Answer= "yes im here with uncle johnny and the dog"

Then they wonder why 4 aplicence's turn up with the sirens on and lads in BA running around

Its because you called in a house fire with persons reported you dumb .....................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If your driving and see a load of flashing blue lights in the distance, slow down and watch out for the people in the hi-vis jackets!!!
    PAY ATTENTION!!!!!
    The blue lights are there to warn you, not to be stared at above everything else.
    Nearly got hit 3 or 4 times last night at an accident scene cos muppets were more interested in what was happening rather than what way I was telling them to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

it should be common knowledge that there are a limited number of cars/guards in each district and just cos you rang your local station with some problem you have with your neighbour it doesn't mean that a guard is going to magically appear in a puff of smoke at your door as soon as you put down your phone.... but if that does happen ... well f**kme.. get it on camera and stick it on youtube...LEARN TO WAIT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

That's not a truncheon in my pocket, but yes, I am happy to see you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Arriving in the public office demanding to see the duty sergeant while highly intoxicated is a bad idea. You will be left waiting for hours.

Abusing members because you've been asked to move on is a very bad idea.

Trying to help your friend who has just been cuffed is idiotic.

No you may not relieve yourself in my hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

recharge wrote: »
    When people call in a "Chinmley fire" as a "oh i think my house is on fire"

And the operator asks are they people inside??

Answer= "yes im here with uncle johnny and the dog"

Then they wonder why 4 aplicence's turn up with the sirens on and lads in BA running around

Its because you called in a house fire with persons reported you dumb .....................

If a person "thinks" their house is on fire that's really not their fault. People panic when confronted with fire. It might just be another routine chimney fire for you but not for the caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

No, I can't turn off that house alarm.

Yes, you can take a hammer to it yourself but really that's not the cleverest thing you will do today.

No, I haven't got a master key to open all the locks in the town.

Tell the people in the bank to certify the person on the passport is you. I'm not doing their dirty work.

Yeah, I know we have very good medical cover but we pay handsomely for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

happyhappy wrote: »
    yes, i do have a power of arrest when you run over the canal into another garda district!!
    Let that be a warning to you, Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

deadwood wrote: »
    Let that be a warning to you, Jesus.

I think you should read that again happyhappy it might have shot past you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

Celticfire wrote: »
    If a person "thinks" their house is on fire that's really not their fault. People panic when confronted with fire. It might just be another routine chimney fire for you but not for the caller.

Yes but a bit of common sence goes along way. If its only a bit of excess smoke outa a chinmley.
    They by the most part they have smoke alarms and if there not going off why the need for such panic.

Also by the most part, if they genuinly think the house is on fire why do they still sit in the kitchen drinking tea????

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

happyhappy wrote: »
    :confused::confused: i think you are right!

Jesus walks on water.

Good man to get off a DUI charge "its not wine Garda, it's only water":pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lets stay on topic :)

This is actually quite a good read but lets keep it neutral in tone!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Remember just because there is a light on the roof of the car I'm driving does not mean it's a taxi and I have to leave you home, there is no obligation on me to do that:mad:. Should've thought of that before spending all your money on vodka and red bull and yes my taxes paid for that car as well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If you see lights and hear a siren behind you, it doesn't mean stop in the middle of the road!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have to admit I am enjoying reading this thread. Most of what is being posted here by serving members I have either seen first-hand being said/asked on various nights out or himself has told me about after his night shift.

Respect to all serving ES members for the tolerance, patience and decorum you show regardless of meeting people who mostly only seem to want to know things like these when they are after a few bevies :pac:

Advertisement