Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Query

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm really interested in getting a gixxer 600, but the problem is is that i only got a provisional licence.
    I am curious as to how much insurance would cost if I'd ever be quoted that is.
    I'm 24, 25 in june and would also be interested in doing some track days aswell at some stage.
    So the whole restriction thing would be annoying as I'd be unable to afford both a road and track bike, especially the condition our *great* economy is in at the moment:D:)

Any information given or forwarded will without doubt be greatly appreciated:)

Ps. I am currently paying 670 on a restricte 125:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You're going to have to get the 600 restricted. Not sure of the power but its no where near 33bhp.

You'll get raped on the insurance as well. Best to get your full licence and wait until the 2 year restriction is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As above, it would have to be restricted for 2 years even after you pass your test. Insurance company would pay for the damages, then go after you for the money as you were driving outside the conditions in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

As far as I know, insurance companies don't always recognise non-factory installed restrictors, so while you'll be on the road legally, you'll be quoted for a non-restricted bike.

As Cuddlesworth said, if you ride a bike that your licence doesn't permit you to ride, your insurance company can just walk away in the event of an accident. Won't stop them quoting and taking your money though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

gipi wrote: »
    As far as I know, insurance companies don't always recognise non-factory installed restrictors, so while you'll be on the road legally, you'll be quoted for a non-restricted bike.

As Cuddlesworth said, if you ride a bike that your licence doesn't permit you to ride, your insurance company can just walk away in the event of an accident. Won't stop them quoting and taking your money though!

From what I can tell, they don't recognise the restrictor for quotes(so insurance category will still be high) but they are obliged to pay if the bike was still street legal.(ie:shop restrictor).

As far as I know AON will insure restricted bikes. But seeing as it would be your first bike you can forget about getting a gixxer. You will be lucky to find anyone to insure you and even if you do, the premium will likely cost as much as your bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement