Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BarredfromDanns

Antibarney wrote: »
    I wasn't going to mention that Hunty, or that Greystones used to have one of the biggest Orange Parades outside of Bitterland or that the Church of the Holy Rosary was stoned during one of those parades in the olden days when Commander Captain Mainwarings stalked the land, in case I upset someone.

Heh.

Did anybody else ever play at the Yarra Yarra ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Antibarney

Did, and did you ever buy one of those homemade ice-pops that Mrs.
    Pennycooke use to sell, I think they were a ha'penny dearer than Stan
    Carlyle's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Floppy Chip

THis is one of the best threads I've seen in ages, here we go
    • Waiting on the narrow railroad bridge in the turnpike whilst the orange / black diesel train locomotive passed underneath, trying to hogger on the windscreen or throw stones into the cooling fan on top
    • Discos during the Summer in the Tennis club opposite the La Touche hotel
    • The 'grand opening' of the shopping basket just before Xmas 197X and the arrival of Santa Claus by helicopter in lousy park, more of greystones population turning out than for arrival of the pope
    • Delgany golf course being particularly famous for magic mushrooms
    • Arthur, used to walk around greystones in his fictious car with that imaginary handbrake
    • CSSM; sliding down the tent and getting static electricity in my hair but not getting caught !
    • Stealing golf balls off the bell hole in greystones golf club and causing one or more holes-in-one over the years
    • Watching the world cup in Decky Doyles in 1984 and being forced to listen to endless new romantic singles over that summer
    Ohh god.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AJ1

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Philomena Quinn (TINA ) and her dad Jack. What was the year ?
    Ah, my aunt Phil - I'll ask my mother (Bernadette Gaskin) what year that was at the weekend when I see her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

When Supervalue first opened and there to perform the rbbon cutting ceremony was Curly and the other guy (manager) from Coronation Street TV series.

Yes the bell hole, the old 16th. was the scene of many a golfers delight when he/she arrived on the green looking for his/her ball only to discover it was in the hole, shame on you Floppy Chip. haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Forever young

This is so brilliant. Really impressed with pixbyjohn!! Does anyone remember Joey in the Woodlands Hotel? "Do you want vegebles (sic) with that?"

Fred Tully, the lovely lady who lived over Dr. McNulty's and did alterations for half nothing.

Also the Rave Cave in Tyross, Fortune's house?

The coal yard in Delgany and the hopper going night and day, probably drove the Carmelites mad.

The original Copper Kettle was owned by the Cox family and came full circle with Nicky and Valerie running it now, not sure if Mo is still involved.

I remember Mr Salmon too in the cinema and Margaret taking the money for the tickets in a little booth.

Talking of the Shopping Basket does anyone remember their carrot cake, £1 a slice!! It was delicious though, the icing was so thick.

Was there a Miss Harte in the La Touche in the early days, in the bar and she would throw you out for using bad language, I think people would do it just to wind her up.

This is so brilliant. Really impressed with pixbyjohn!! Does anyone remember Joey in the Woodlands Hotel? "Do you want vegebles (sic) with that?"

Fred Tully, the lovely lady who lived over Dr. McNulty's and did alterations for half nothing.

Also the Rave Cave in Tyross, Fortune's house?

The coal yard in Delgany and the hopper going night and day, probably drove the Carmelites mad.

The original Copper Kettle was owned by the Cox family and came full circle with Nicky and Valerie running it now, not sure if Mo is still involved.

I remember Mr Salmon too in the cinema and Margaret taking the money for the tickets in a little booth.

Talking of the Shopping Basket does anyone remember their carrot cake, £1 a slice!! It was delicious though, the icing was so thick.

Was there a Miss Harte in the La Touche in the early days, in the bar and she would throw you out for using bad language, I think people would do it just to wind her up.

Joey lived in the gate lodge which is where the Woodlands Lodge pub is now.

Fred Tully was a lovely lady

O'Neills coal yard in Delgany

Before the Cox family , the Copper Kettle ( beside the library ) was owned by the Finnegan family who lived on the Burnaby. It was only a single storey building at that time. Betty Morrissey ( now Mrs John Fox ) worked in the Copper Kettle during Finnegan's time.

Mr Paddy Salmon was manager, Mary Fitzpatrick sold the tickets from the booth in the Foyer. Sheila Manweiller was in the shop.
    Danny Hatton, Joe and Gerry White were the Ushers.

Miss Harte was almost nun like behind the counter in the La Touche bar. If there were 8 people there it was almost a full house.

How about Spud Murphy who worked in the La Touche kitchen who played the bones. He was deadly

Remember when the railway arch at the harbour was really an arch, it had to be changed to allow double decker buses to pass under.

When Greystones Garda station had only a Triumph motorcycle to patrol the area.

Just how long have you been living in Greystones pixbyjohn?

I think Margaret Hempenstall must have sold cinema tickets after Mary retired. I definitely remember her there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

sagat wrote: »
    I'm assuming the CSSM is still going, plenty of Catholic kids were sent into it by their mothers before the summer project started up as a way of keeping them busy during the mischief months.

IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-021.gif[/IMG]

CSSM alive and kicking sagat, and still extremely popular. Am not a resident of Greystones (unfortunately) but attend Hillside church which is involved with CSSM.

Hi, I really don't know where the name originated but the lands where all the new development is now was farmlands owned by Evans and it was called Charlesland farm. Maybe I can get some info at a future time. The lands where the other Evans family lived was called Farrankelly (where Rodney Evans Motors is now ) and on Priory road there is another Evans farm.

I agree that this is a good thread and hopefully there are others out there who can come up with some more details.

Hi pixbyjohn, I know an Evans from Greystones. Her family are farmers but they live on the Windgates road. As far as I know though they are of Welsh origin and lived originally around the Hillside road area.I think there may be some connection to Rodney & Co.
    Next time I see her, I'll ply her for info. There are older folk in the church I attend who talk about the Evan's alot so I'll keep my ears more attentive in future... :D

Splendour wrote: »
    Hi pixbyjohn, I know an Evans from Greystones. Her family are farmers but they live on the Windgates road. As far as I know though they are of Welsh origin and lived originally around the Hillside road area.I think there may be some connection to Rodney & Co.
    Next time I see her, I'll ply her for info. There are older folk in the church I attend who talk about the Evan's alot so I'll keep my ears more attentive in future... :D

Yes those Evans owned the farm where Hillside and Heathervue are built now, Digby Evans, whose son Hubert took over and sold the farm to Abbey homes or some developer. Hubert and family moved to the farm at Redford opposite the cemetry . That farm was originally owned by a Miss Fox. Now Morgan Evans, son of Hubert (rip) runs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,062 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Margaret Hempenstall must have sold cinema tickets after Mary retired. I definitely remember her there.
    No - Margaret never sold the tickets, she minded the two Spurling kids though, so prob would have been seen there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Antibarney

Joey lived in the gate lodge which is where the Woodlands Lodge pub is now.

Fred Tully was a lovely lady

O'Neills coal yard in Delgany

Before the Cox family , the Copper Kettle ( beside the library ) was owned by the Finnegan family who lived on the Burnaby. It was only a single storey building at that time. Betty Morrissey ( now Mrs John Fox ) worked in the Copper Kettle during Finnegan's time.

Mr Paddy Salmon was manager, Mary Fitzpatrick sold the tickets from the booth in the Foyer. Sheila Manweiller was in the shop.
    Danny Hatton, Joe and Gerry White were the Ushers.

Miss Harte was almost nun like behind the counter in the La Touche bar. If there were 8 people there it was almost a full house.

How about Spud Murphy who worked in the La Touche kitchen who played the bones. He was deadly

Remember how we used to look forward to the Monthly Programme for the Ormonde, printed on that dreadful quality paper by the Glen Press, I think.
    Pat Gunning ,from Blacklion, was the Projectionist. Didn't Gerry White also
    drive the little delivery van for Roche's, who sold groceries at the back of where O'Brien's is now ?

Besides playing the Bones/Spoons, Spud would also let rip with "Wooden Heart " on his mouth organ at the drop of a hat.

All my life, I was actually born in what is now the health centre in Delgany, thats where the jubilee nurse who was also a midwife lived, her name was Nurse Magee.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

Antibarney wrote: »
    HUNTTHE wrote: »
    Yeh, I still get a big kick out of the orange parade every 12th of July

I wasn't going to mention that Hunty, or that Greystones used to have one of the biggest Orange Parades outside of Bitterland or that the Church of the Holy Rosary was stoned during one of those parades in the olden days when Commander Captain Mainwarings stalked the land, in case I upset someone.

Is this true? I can't find anyone who can back it up. Possibly an old rumour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

There was a Orange Lodge in Greystones, there still is a 'Dublin and Wicklow' lodge, dont know where they are based though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

There was a Orange Lodge in Greystones, there still is a 'Dublin and Wicklow' lodge, dont know where they are based though.

That's not the part I was questioning

That was much later, when she minded Jolyon and Tauran, I remember that.

• Advertisement

Yes those Evans owned the farm where Hillside and Heathervue are built now, Digby Evans, whose son Hubert took over and sold the farm to Abbey homes or some developer. Hubert and family moved to the farm at Redford opposite the cemetry . That farm was originally owned by a Miss Fox. Now Morgan Evans, son of Hubert (rip) runs it.

That's it pixby, you've jogged my memory. Morgan is my friends brother.
    Must remember to ask her about where the 'Charlesland' name came from...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,062 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That was much later, when she minded Jolyon and Tauran, I remember that.

Tauren;)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

drag0n79 wrote: »
    That's not the part I was questioning

There is a book with the recollections of old Greystonians, I think Peter McNiff wrote it. Well worth a read. One of my personal favourites recounts the story of how a Church of Ireland man who had fought with the Nationalists during the war of Independence was asked not to attend Church anymore in his Free state Uniform. All the retired British ex military wheren't happy about it. Anyway, the following week, truck loads of Free state, Church of Ireland men arrived in their Uniforms to attend Church. There where no more complaints after that. Long time ago, Edgar Swann does an excellent job there now, a very forward thinking man.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

And the raft.

Holy crap yeah!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Huntthe wrote: »
    There is a book with the recollections of old Greystonians, I think Peter McNiff wrote it. Well worth a read. One of my personal favourites recounts the story of how a Church of Ireland man who had fought with the Nationalists during the war of Independence was asked not to attend Church anymore in his Free state Uniform. All the retired British ex military wheren't happy about it. Anyway, the following week, truck loads of Free state, Church of Ireland men arrived in their Uniforms to attend Church. There where no more complaints after that. Long time ago, Edgar Swann does an excellent job there now, a very forward thinking man.

I totally agree with your last comment - Edgar has done so much for the whole community, a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

Does anyone know when the last Orange Parade was held in Greystones? I had heard that it was in the 60s but someone insisted to me recently that it was in the 70s. Was Greystones the last place in the Republic (apart, I presume, from some towns near the border) to have an Orange Parade?

And what was the name of the Guest House across from the back of the La Touche Hotel that had loads of Northerners down every summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I doubt it was the seventies, certainly late sixties though.

There are still orange parades in Donegal.I believe the whole community joins in and it's just a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Claymation wrote: »
    And what was the name of the Guest House across from the back of the La Touche Hotel that had loads of Northerners down every summer?

Carrig Eden - its still going strong.

http://cetc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 topcat8

Wow:) Great stuff,My wife was emailed this link by her brother who lives in America,both her and i were brought up in Greystones and have enjoyed reading this thread.

As i have a couple of years on her i can go back further lol:D Monty Pythons Yorkshire men sketch can to mind during the discussion.

Just a couple places that dont exist anymore Royal Bank of Ireland,Scotts Pharmacy,Fenlons Butchers,Munster & Leinster Bank?and The Rendezvous.

Its now Christmas Eve and will Always remember those nights in the Burnaby,Beach house or the Latouche when every came home from abroad,What madness it was and the Garda trying to clear the bars at about 1 o'clock probably phoned by the owners so they could start their christmas too.

As i sit here typing this i cant help but think of those that are missing through accident or illness and ask you to spare a thought or prayer for them at this time.

Advertisement