Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Rugby- A step forward or a step backward

Options
  • 11-12-2008 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

This isnt a sport thread per se.

I was just watching a programme on a Northern Irish rugby team called the Ulster Titans, which are apparantly Irelands first "gay friendly" rugby team. Fair play to them and all and on the surface it looks like social progress but then I wonder is it actually an exercise in segregation (albeit aesthetic)

Other things Ive noticed like this would be the 'MOBO' awards (music of black origin)- again at first you think fair play but then isnt it just reinforcing the racial divide? Would we be as comfortable with the MOWO awards.

What would the reaction be to "Irelands first black-friendly rugby team"?

Marginalised racial and social groups inspirationally lead the way for social integration and equality but has that lead to a kind of reverse or double standard. I consider myself quite liberal but surely there must be something still "unequal" if our current rugby teams are not seen as "gay friendly"

What do you think?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/the-ulster-titans-northern-irelandrsquos-first-gay-friendly-rugby-team-13961109.html

(if this is in the wrong forum please move thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Rugby has always been gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's an absolute joke that a team has to be gay friendly. Why can't anyone play on any team? Retards who won't accept people because of their sexuality? Are their teams out there just for white people? :rolleyes: Shows how accepting the rugby teams are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gay rugby is a terrible idea. The scrums will just turn into a big pile of man love. Seriously though, I do find it funny that if someone set up a strictly no gays rugby club or whites only awards ceremony that there would probably be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Rugby's not as bad as a lot of sports when it comes to tolerating (awful word to use) homosexuals. One of the leading ref's is gay and it's never been a big deal.

There's a gay team in Dublin because a mate of mine played 'em in J4's or J3's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hang on, the Emerald Warriors have been on the go for a while before now, haven't they?

http://ewrfc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Here's a pic of their first match...

Hang on, the Emerald Warriors have been on the go for a while before now, haven't they?

http://ewrfc.ie/

This is an Ulster team. Was a documentary on telly about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No point having your head up your arse about it.

They can go stick that team up their holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

JDLK wrote: »
    Would we be as comfortable with the MOWO awards.

They're called the CMA Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Rugby's not as bad as a lot of sports when it comes to tolerating (awful word to use) homosexuals. One of the leading ref's is gay and it's never been a big deal. .

Guys its ok to be racist, I have a black friend

• Advertisement

Contrast it to professional football.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

His name's not Daffy by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Straight rugby is mucky enough.

Imagine this? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Actually Donald and Daffy hate each other:

Seriously though, I do find it funny that if someone set up a strictly no gays rugby club or whites only awards ceremony that there would probably be uproar.

The team is "Gay Friendly", not "Gay Only". The distinction's important...

And I mean, you join a "regular" rugby team, there's a social element in it. You wanna hang out with people you've got stuff in common - liking rugby for instance. And you've got the luxury of assuming that everybody's got at least one other interest in common too, ie, sexing up girls.

These dudes just want to hang out with other dudes who share their common interests, ie Rugby.

And also, sexing up dudes.

Contrary to popular belief, the two things don't necessarily happen at the exactly same time.

No. No, that would be a recipe for disaster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gauge wrote: »
    They're called the CMA Awards.
    Is that award not for the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

javaboy wrote: »
    Actually Donald and Daffy hate each other:

Pfft , foreplay.

This is not a pun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Imagine the showers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Rugby's not as bad as a lot of sports when it comes to tolerating (awful word to use) homosexuals.
    What are you talking about?

Cricket is a fags game.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's an absolute joke that a team has to be gay friendly. Why can't anyone play on any team? Retards who won't accept people because of their sexuality? Are their teams out there just for white people? :rolleyes: Shows how accepting the rugby teams are.

You know the talbot hotel was the first official "gay" hotel in Ireland... WTF? How can a hotel be gay or not. Do they supply free mini packets of lube? Condoms? S&M outfits? A team should be a team, not a "gay friendly" team. Jesus...

• Advertisement

*Slaps forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Gay Rugby- A step forward or a step backward

Givers-Step forward

Recievers-Step backward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Why does it have to be gay friendly or a gay rugby team at all ? As someone else said, can it not just be a rugby team and that's it ?

Never played rugby but I'm thinking maybe when they're all in the showers afterwards and someone is gay, they might get a boner and be embarrassed or get some digs for getting all hard for the team ?
    Whereas if it's a gay friendly team all that kinda carry-on is permitted and it's no problem if you get a boner for your teammate in the showers ?

Or does it mean you let girls play on the team as well ? Isn't that what tag rugby is for ?

Maybe there's a lot of homophobia going on in rugby in general and gay people don't feel wanted or accepted ?

I'm not gay so I don't understand this at all, can't understand why it has to be a gay or gay friendly team in the first place. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

guys,
    how many openly gay sports people are there??? Therefore this is a reason for these teams to be out there. It's also a social outlet for people who want to meet people outside of the bars. There is also gay Running clubs, gay Soccer, rowing. I don't see what the big deal is.
    You could easily play for another team but then the social side wouldn't be as appealing.There are gay guys on all teams around Ireland but I bet the majority keep it to themselves. The clubs might be predominantly gay but straight guys are free to join and on some of the older more established equivalents in other cities they do have quite a few straight guys on their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Why does it have to be gay friendly or a gay rugby team at all ? As someone else said, can it not just be a rugby team and that's it ?

Here's your answer!!! If the "N" word was used refering to blacks would people object??

Just a thought.
    dSTAR wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Cricket is a fags game.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Surely they mean gayer rugby.

Reflector wrote: »
    guys,
    how many openly gay sports people are there??? Therefore this is a reason for these teams to be out there. It's also a social outlet for people who want to meet people outside of the bars. There is also gay Running clubs, gay Soccer, rowing. I don't see what the big deal is.
    You could easily play for another team but then the social side wouldn't be as appealing.There are gay guys on all teams around Ireland but I bet the majority keep it to themselves. The clubs might be predominantly gay but straight guys are free to join and on some of the older more established equivalents in other cities they do have quite a few straight guys on their teams.

When you put it like that it does sound like a practical sensible idea. Ideally at some point down the line they could drop the "gay friendly" tag as it would be no longer necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Remember, it perfectly fine to discriminate against someone once they are white, male and straight.

Dragan wrote: »
    Remember, it perfectly fine to discriminate against someone once they are white, male and straight.

In fairness, it is our fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

javaboy wrote: »
    In fairness, it is our fault.

What, for being awesome?

I know i am awesome, you're pretty ****ing awesome, how do you explain the rest of them?

Advertisement